What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

I think I have a problem.  I'm signed up for 3 marathons next spring (would be 4 if registration had opened for Lublin), and I honestly have no idea for sure if I'm running/racing any of them.  :shrug:
I have one scheduled one next month that I won't be racing, I'll finish it but I don't want to go into the tank when I have no shot at a PR.  I am really struggling on deciding where I want to go from here. Part of me wants to focus on shorter stuff in the spring, but I think I may need to get my mileage back up to where it was in 2015 to get better.  2019 was a weak mileage year for me.

Here's where I'm going:

• Run 150+ miles in November (I'm at 69 as of today, nice! Running 22 this weekend)
  • Lose at least 5 more lbs (for a total of 28 since mid-August) then start a Pfitz 18/55 on Dec. 16
  • Coastal Delaware Marathon on April 19, even though I almost certainly won't be in BQ condition yet
  • Run my ### off all summer
  • Look for a marathon to BQ in very early September before Boston registration opens

My only plan for 2020 is a June triathlon again (to keep me motivated on cross-training through the winter/spring).  I'm sure I'll add other races through the summer and fall, but the next twelve months are all preparation before I start marathon training.  There's a chance I'll toy with thoughts of a marathon sometime next fall to get a better, non-rainstorm sense of what I can do time-wise.

And how exactly would you suggest that I do this?
think there are lots of ways to accomplish this. I know I am not aware of a large % of them. I don't know how much it will help, but I will provide a more detailed anecdotal example in my YE report next month. I think I need to take a step back and really assess my year before putting pen to paper though. Regardless, how will it apply to you? :shrug:

But, cliff notes: everything I've done the last 12 months has been with next week's race in mind. I didn't start training for it until Aug 1, but the cycle I laid out last winter (strength) was designed to put me in a better position Aug 1. Then the cycle I laid out in spring (speed) with the same objective. Build the strength during cycle 1 so my body could withstand the speed demands of cycle 2 while sustaining the strength gains made during the winter. 'Get right' during summer, whatever that entailed, so I would then get to this cycle stronger and better able to withstand the rigors that come with hard workouts. Then when I increased the volume the paces would just melt away. So my specific training cycle may only have been about 3 months, but it stemmed from the 9 months of offseason prep prior. My starting point was so much higher than it was for any other cycle and I think it's shown in what I've accomplished the last 6 weeks. Now to see if it pays off in the goal race...

I am signed up for Rock the Parkway HM on April 4, 2020. So I'll be there.

It's a great race to run. And I'll be gunning for sub 1:40. Starts early, so we'd be done by 10:00. I could probably head home and make you guys some ribs if you are interested. 
I'll keep you posted. My wife and I have talked some recently about doing some weekend getaways with me running while on the trip. That weekend would be a possibility. I was searching vrbo earlier and there are some interesting options in the general area of the race/start area. Maybe a dinner out or something that is less work after all the running. I'll stop in STL on the way, and kidnap @gianmarco - don't tell him, I want it to be a surprise if it happens!

Man, I could dig this flat Florida thing for running. What a treat. Low 60s and slight drizzle/mist to boot. My driveway has more elevation than the 6 miles I just ran.

Of note, I realized my weight loss has reversed course and I'm actually up to 193. My appetite has definitely increased. Then I realized I haven't been doing any real MAF runs. Despite not even running that fast for most of them, there is definitely a correlation there I think.  When doing almost exclusive MAF runs, my appetite was not existent. 

I know what I'm getting back to after next week.

Speaking of Florida running. 18 on tap in the morning. Temps around 58. Fitness has gone backwards since starting on Monday, and I am almost positive it’s because of my nutrition or lack of. Cleaned up the diet as well and just haven’t got the calories I need. Runs have felt lethargic and VO2 Max dropped 2 points. Going to stay positive about tomorrow’s run. Ate a bunch tonight and the weather is going to be perfect for me. Going to experiment with eating before I run. A 210 calorie uncrustable. I planted a 320 calorie electrolyte drink at my parents’ house at around the halfway point. I’ll take a 100 calorie/ 100 mg caffeine gel right before the drink. So, a total of 630 calories with minimal weather impact. Expecting big things. We’ll see!

Speaking of Florida running. 18 on tap in the morning. Temps around 58. Fitness has gone backwards since starting on Monday, and I am almost positive it’s because of my nutrition or lack of. Cleaned up the diet as well and just haven’t got the calories I need. Runs have felt lethargic and VO2 Max dropped 2 points. Going to stay positive about tomorrow’s run. Ate a bunch tonight and the weather is going to be perfect for me. Going to experiment with eating before I run. A 210 calorie uncrustable. I planted a 320 calorie electrolyte drink at my parents’ house at around the halfway point. I’ll take a 100 calorie/ 100 mg caffeine gel right before the drink. So, a total of 630 calories with minimal weather impact. Expecting big things. We’ll see!
Don't forget your gloves.

I'll keep you posted. My wife and I have talked some recently about doing some weekend getaways with me running while on the trip. That weekend would be a possibility. I was searching vrbo earlier and there are some interesting options in the general area of the race/start area. Maybe a dinner out or something that is less work after all the running. I'll stop in STL on the way, and kidnap @gianmarco - don't tell him, I want it to be a surprise if it happens!
Yeah, let me know. I can give you some better areas to stay than the race start area. Not much there really to be honest. I live  about 7 miles from the start, so you could stay near me and I can take you to the race.

Would also give us more options for dinner and such, since you clearly are communist and don’t want any of my ribs.

@gruecd can vouch for ‘em. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds awesome. Can’t wait to hear how this goes for you. 

On a side note, with that food intake, you may want to consider a route that takes you near a bathroom in case you need a turd break. 

@Zasada any update on your race plans? I know you were battling health and noted you've been quite silent this week.
Had a crazy work/travel week + being totally demoralized had me unable/unwilling to get into this thread for the last few days. 

In Vegas now. Ran 3x10K last weekend but haven't run since. Butt was bad for most of it, despite a few rest days before that and trying BnB's leg contraption. 

Race is Sunday afternoon. No idea what to expect or aim for. I think I'm just going to try to run at my goal pace to start, and then let my glute (and pain tolerance) dictate how long that pace lasts. 

Last few weeks have seen significant detraining, and even with a healthy butt (queue Sir Mix a Lot), I'm not sure I'm capable of a 1:39:xx, which seemed almost a certainty early last month.  :kicksrock:

:shrug:

Had a crazy work/travel week + being totally demoralized had me unable/unwilling to get into this thread for the last few days. 

In Vegas now. Ran 3x10K last weekend but haven't run since. Butt was bad for most of it, despite a few rest days before that and trying BnB's leg contraption. 

Race is Sunday afternoon. No idea what to expect or aim for. I think I'm just going to try to run at my goal pace to start, and then let my glute (and pain tolerance) dictate how long that pace lasts. 

Last few weeks have seen significant detraining, and even with a healthy butt (queue Sir Mix a Lot), I'm not sure I'm capable of a 1:39:xx, which seemed almost a certainty early last month.  :kicksrock:

Here you go

Doubt you have lost much fitness in the month.  I predict 1:38:52.

If you guys were in the market, which one would you buy?

I'd pickup the fenix again, since I do lot's of different things.

Yes, I have the Fenix 5X Plus.  Lots of features on that watch ...I really like the displays and training features (e.g., intervals).  

I have a Fenix 5 Plus.  Love it.  Not only for fitness stuff, but it's just a great "smart" watch.  Not as many features as an Apple Watch or Android Watch, but the the two latter come with tons of battery anxiety for me.  No anxiety with the Fenix.  It gives me notifications and does all my health tracking (HR, sleep, steps, floors).

Can't speak for any of the other brands, though.  Just that I'm happy with what I have.

Good timing for the quarterly watch discussion...

For some reason, my phone that has worked reliably for GPS and Strava for the last 2 years is now acting funky.  I can overcome it if I load a GPS app and wait for 5 or 6 minutes to get multiple satellites to lock, but this sucks esp in the cold weather.  Good news is that I have Garmin Forerunner 610 which has GPS.  Bad news is that that watch also takes at least 5 minutes but sometimes longer to lock a satellite and start pacing.  Also that Garmin is horrible for posting to Strava - I mainly use it for races and workouts when I want a slightly more reliable pace indication. 

My questions are not specific to any brand/model, but

-How long should it take for satellites to lock?  Do you launch the watch near a window or something before you run? 

- Seems like the newer watches can connect to wifi or phone via bluetooth.  Any issues are should look for in syncing to Strava? 

I'm leaning towards Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music.  Main interests are reliable pace tracking.  Music would be plus, but I'm skeptical that it will be 'better' than phone + wired headsets (I want to be able to adjust volume effortlessly) but I'm willing to try bluetooth again.  If it has HR, I want to be able to turn it off so some ###hole on here isn't judging my runs. 😉 

-How long should it take for satellites to lock?  Do you launch the watch near a window or something before you run? 
My older Garmin could take up to 5 minutes.  I'd set it on a window ledge while lacing up my shoes and such.  The new Fenix model is really fast (like ..seconds).

My old pos Vivo took sometimes more than 5 minutes to connect to satellites. Forerunner 735xt is maybe 30 seconds at the very most, but usually 10 seconds.

Good timing for the quarterly watch discussion...

For some reason, my phone that has worked reliably for GPS and Strava for the last 2 years is now acting funky.  I can overcome it if I load a GPS app and wait for 5 or 6 minutes to get multiple satellites to lock, but this sucks esp in the cold weather.  Good news is that I have Garmin Forerunner 610 which has GPS.  Bad news is that that watch also takes at least 5 minutes but sometimes longer to lock a satellite and start pacing.  Also that Garmin is horrible for posting to Strava - I mainly use it for races and workouts when I want a slightly more reliable pace indication. 

My questions are not specific to any brand/model, but

- Seems like the newer watches can connect to wifi or phone via bluetooth.  Any issues are should look for in syncing to Strava? 

I'm leaning towards Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music.  Main interests are reliable pace tracking.  Music would be plus, but I'm skeptical that it will be 'better' than phone + wired headsets (I want to be able to adjust volume effortlessly) but I'm willing to try bluetooth again.  If it has HR, I want to be able to turn it off so some ###hole on here isn't judging my runs. 😉 
I have the new Garmin Forerunner 245. There's a music version for like $50 more.

--GPS syncing takes a few seconds. Usually. This one, for some reason, has occasionally taken 30 seconds and up to a couple minutes a couple times. But generally, it locks in really quickly. The 235 was always within 5-10 seconds.

--Bluetooth syncing is automatic. I don't have to do anything once it's set up. When I end my run on my watch, it syncs to Garmin and then Strava within seconds. 

-- You can get earbuds or headphones that control volume easily that are Bluetooth. They have a volume control on the earbud itself.  But, even on the watch, it's not that difficult. 

-- You can select on Strava if you want to display HR for us to judge. Just know that we are judging if you turn it off since there's obviously something to hide. 

Eventful morning for me - plan was to do 16 miles over at my favorite long trail run - Kennesaw Mountain.  Had the route preplanned and loaded in to Strava.  

5 miles in and it finally happens - I'm about to #### myself.  At 5.2 I decide it's not worth crapping my pants and I stop running and pause Strava - I'm somewhat close to a parking area inside the park and I'm frantic - I see guy running by so I stop him - "hey, any port-o-potties around here?"  - his immediate reaction made me know I'm screwed.  He says, "if you go down there a ways there's lots of trees and woods" - me in my head, "thanks genius - we are in the freaking woods surrounded by trees - if I wanted to crap behind a tree I would have done that already".  Anyway, I thank him and decide to risk running away from the parking area - mistake.  A little something "slips" so now I'm resigned to crapping in my leggings and tossing them.  I haven't had full impact when I finally get to a somewhat secluded area - I see a couple people in the distance but I don't care - I whiz and about to clean up and then finish my business but the whiz relieves the pressure.  Hmm.  So, I clean up with some leaves and decide it's worth the risk to continue as the next 4 miles are pretty secluded.  Spoiler - I made it the rest of the way with no further incident.

Once I get going again I feel better but now I'm about 7-8 miles in and my legs are feeling a little fatigued already - damn.  I'll keep the rest of this brief - recovered enough to churn out some decent miles 8-12.  Mile 9 my headphones die and then as I'm just starting mile 13 I notice my phone is at 1% - WTH.  So I stop, close out Strava and restart my watch to capture the rest.  I only make it about another half mile and I hit the wall pretty hard.  Legs started to go - my HR was ok, upper 150s, I just couldn't get my legs to fire any more.  I spend the final 2.5 miles running with a form that had to have looked ridiculous but I was giving it all I had.  The detour to crap and walking it shaved some off the distance.

15.62 miles - around 2:52 moving time - ~1,300 ft elevation

Still don't know what happened to my phone but I have to get one of those fitness trackers soon as my old Apple Watch can't handle it.

Eventful morning for me - plan was to do 16 miles over at my favorite long trail run - Kennesaw Mountain.  Had the route preplanned and loaded in to Strava.  

5 miles in and it finally happens - I'm about to #### myself.  At 5.2 I decide it's not worth crapping my pants and I stop running and pause Strava - I'm somewhat close to a parking area inside the park and I'm frantic - I see guy running by so I stop him - "hey, any port-o-potties around here?"  - his immediate reaction made me know I'm screwed.  He says, "if you go down there a ways there's lots of trees and woods" - me in my head, "thanks genius - we are in the freaking woods surrounded by trees - if I wanted to crap behind a tree I would have done that already".  Anyway, I thank him and decide to risk running away from the parking area - mistake.  A little something "slips" so now I'm resigned to crapping in my leggings and tossing them.  I haven't had full impact when I finally get to a somewhat secluded area - I see a couple people in the distance but I don't care - I whiz and about to clean up and then finish my business but the whiz relieves the pressure.  Hmm.  So, I clean up with some leaves and decide it's worth the risk to continue as the next 4 miles are pretty secluded.  Spoiler - I made it the rest of the way with no further incident.

Once I get going again I feel better but now I'm about 7-8 miles in and my legs are feeling a little fatigued already - damn.  I'll keep the rest of this brief - recovered enough to churn out some decent miles 8-12.  Mile 9 my headphones die and then as I'm just starting mile 13 I notice my phone is at 1% - WTH.  So I stop, close out Strava and restart my watch to capture the rest.  I only make it about another half mile and I hit the wall pretty hard.  Legs started to go - my HR was ok, upper 150s, I just couldn't get my legs to fire any more.  I spend the final 2.5 miles running with a form that had to have looked ridiculous but I was giving it all I had.  The detour to crap and walking it shaved some off the distance.

15.62 miles - around 2:52 moving time - ~1,300 ft elevation

Still don't know what happened to my phone but I have to get one of those fitness trackers soon as my old Apple Watch can't handle it.
way to leave it all out there! 

I have the new Garmin Forerunner 245. There's a music version for like $50 more.

--GPS syncing takes a few seconds. Usually. This one, for some reason, has occasionally taken 30 seconds and up to a couple minutes a couple times. But generally, it locks in really quickly. The 235 was always within 5-10 seconds.

--Bluetooth syncing is automatic. I don't have to do anything once it's set up. When I end my run on my watch, it syncs to Garmin and then Strava within seconds. 

-- You can get earbuds or headphones that control volume easily that are Bluetooth. They have a volume control on the earbud itself.  But, even on the watch, it's not that difficult. 

-- You can select on Strava if you want to display HR for us to judge. Just know that we are judging if you turn it off since there's obviously something to hide. 
:goodposting:

I've got the 245 music, and I love it. The HR monitor is noticeably off sometimes. I'll do an easy walk with my dog, and it will show a 180+ HR. It hasn't done that in awhile, but it did do it once or twice. The music feature works well, and I've never had any trouble at all connecting to satellite. I don't think I've ever noticed it was doing it like I did with some of my old Garmins.

I had a vivoactive 3 that went haywire after about a year. I'd go on routes that I knew were 5 miles and run a pace that I knew was between 7:30-8, and it would show be running 2.3 miles at a 12 minute pace. Like not within the realm of reasonable error (my girlfriends apple watch always shows a different mileage than my garmin but not by enough to care about). It definitely could have been user error, and I was ready to upgrade to a music playing device so I didn't investigate for more than a day or two, but that experience alone would keep me away from the vivoactive line for now. I loved everything else about that watch, though.

Thanks guys.  That is helpful.  Seems like most are happy with this generation of watches. 
Yup, my Fenix 5+ gets a lock in seconds and does a great job syncing to Garmin Connect and Strava. 

Only complaint is that it can't seem to get a good wrist-based HR when I have a hiking pole in the same hand. 

For anything important I just use my Wahoo Tickr X chest strap anyway. 

Another with the Garmin 245 music.  GPS connects quickly if outside, may take 45 seconds if I hit it while inside. HR is solid like 99% of the time but will spike/dip on rare occasions.  It also works well on treadmills, ellipticals and biking, no idea on swimming.

When i got mine, I found one where the music was only ~$25 more than the regular.  I'm happy I went with the music option as I dont need to have my phone on me when I run...just the watch and headphones.  Also, I run my music through Amazon, and having the songs downloaded to the watch means we can stream music elsewhere.  This is very useful since my wife streams from Amazon during her runs and we dont have to fight over who gets it during races/runs (and dont have to upgrade our prime account).

I don't even know what that thing is. Mine is much more simple and elegant. 
:angry:

As we were walking around the expo, my wife was pointing out all these different running belts, and I'm like "no, my running e-friend swears by FlipBelts, we have to find one of those".

And then I apparently buy the wrong one.

I was leaning Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music as I really don't need any bells or whistles.  With many users of the Forerunner 245, I'm now rethinking this.  Plus it just dawned on me that Iguana's Monumental fiasco may have happened on a Vivoactive 3.  If that's the case... 

Uh.  Hi everyone.  My name is Otis, and I'm an out of shape middle aged guy looking to start running.  And this thread scares me.

That said, two pieces of advice I'm looking to hear about:

1. Looking to maybe get an Apple watch, but want thoughts on whether that's the right thing for me.  Money is not a concern on this one.  I want something that I can run with, will track my route, heart rate etc., but which also will count things like my steps etc. throughout the day.  Also, important for me, I like to listen to music while I run, and it would be amazing if I could listen without having to bring my phone with me.  I understand that I may be able to do all of this with an Apple Watch, hooked up to the Airpod headphones I already have.  Sound right?  Any other preferred options for running?

2. Maybe more importantly, about a month ago I started C25K.  I haven't run regularly in probably almost 20 years -- back in my late 20s I was running regularly and used to do 10-12 mile runs in Central Park.  That was a lifetime ago.  As I started C25K, it was great for a couple of weeks.  Right around week 3 my right knee and ankle got really sore and I had to stop.  I've rested for a couple weeks now and the knee feels fine.  I can't tell if the soreness was just working muscles and tendons and ligaments I haven't in years, and so it was natural and will eventually get better, or an injury.  It felt bad enough that I stopped, I really couldn't run on it.  Coincidentally, I got a new pair of running shoes (much "nicer" than the cross trainers I had been running in previously) right around the time the soreness hit.  Overall I believe it was probably just a little too much too fast (I was jogging during as much of the warmup and cooldown portions as I could, but later realized I was not supposed to be running during those portions), so as I start up again this coming week, my plan is just to take it even easier, just do a brisk walk during the warmup minutes, and see how it goes.  Someone has recommended a softer surfaces than the roads I run on -- there's a local high school with a softer track, don't know if it's open that early, but who knows.

All comments welcomed.

-Oats 

Serious reply, this is the best thread in this forum. The advice you can get here is top notch.  If you want to get into it, you'll get all the info you need here. I'll let the others get started with your questions.

But, if you truly want to get into it, best of luck. I haven't regretted that decision just over 2 years ago.

Uh.  Hi everyone.  My name is Otis, and I'm an out of shape middle aged guy looking to start running.  And this thread scares me.

That said, two pieces of advice I'm looking to hear about:

1. Looking to maybe get an Apple watch, but want thoughts on whether that's the right thing for me.  Money is not a concern on this one.  I want something that I can run with, will track my route, heart rate etc., but which also will count things like my steps etc. throughout the day.  Also, important for me, I like to listen to music while I run, and it would be amazing if I could listen without having to bring my phone with me.  I understand that I may be able to do all of this with an Apple Watch, hooked up to the Airpod headphones I already have.  Sound right?  Any other preferred options for running?
Read the previous page, we've been discussing watches.  Several of us have Garmin forerunner 245...and they have a music option.  Here's my comment on it.

Another with the Garmin 245 music.  GPS connects quickly if outside, may take 45 seconds if I hit it while inside. HR is solid like 99% of the time but will spike/dip on rare occasions.  It also works well on treadmills, ellipticals and biking, no idea on swimming.

When i got mine, I found one where the music was only ~$25 more than the regular.  I'm happy I went with the music option as I dont need to have my phone on me when I run...just the watch and headphones.  Also, I run my music through Amazon, and having the songs downloaded to the watch means we can stream music elsewhere.  This is very useful since my wife streams from Amazon during her runs and we dont have to fight over who gets it during races/runs (and dont have to upgrade our prime account).

Also, what shoes did you buy?  

Users who are viewing this thread