Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

14 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Schtick aside, I use fruit snacks now instead of chews. Stomach handles them better and caffeine aside I dont think they're much different than what you get out of a chew. MUCH cheaper too. Giant box at Costco for $7-$9. Opened ziplock bag in one pocket. Put it in there before most runs over an hour - just in case. 

Makes sense, IMO. As I was typing that they are basically giant gummy bears, I was wondering if gummy bears would work just as well as the chews... 

1 minute ago, JShare87 said:

I always assumed the same thing about my legs

and about me being an idiot :hifive:

I'm nowhere close to all you guys in speed, fitness, etc....but now I'm having a Lloyd Christmas Samsonite moment. A-HA!

2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Are we having a moment here?

Moments and movements are about all we ever talk about in here... Bowel movements, especially.

• Thinking 1

BTW... With a month plus of free eating and sitting here having donuts for breakfast, there's no chance I beat @gianmarco to 185#. Have to get serious again about eating starting tomorrow. 

4 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Moments and movements are about all we ever talk about in here... Bowel movements, especially.

Too soon.

It's funny hearing you guys talk abut 8 minute miles when I can't run for 8 minutes straight. 

Just now, gianmarco said:

@xulf killed it.

Full Course  1:12:27   7:47 pace

Congrats!!!

Awesomesauce! Way to go @xulf. Mega consistency there. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Otis said:

It's funny hearing you guys talk abut 8 minute miles when I can't run for 8 minutes straight. 

I was going to respond to one of the comments about Strava being motivating. It absolutely is but you have to be cautious and realistic.  When they say BMFs are in here, that’s not just us blowing smoke up each other’s asses.  There’s some seriously talented athletes in here.  Run your race and your training schedule. Allow yourself to get caught up in the camaraderie and use it to motivate but don’t try to do what some of these guys do without putting in the time.

Just now, Otis said:

There are dudes here much faster than that. And it doesn't matter at all. That's the beauty of this thread and running in general. 

You'll get the same type of encouragement running 8 minutes for the first time as someone who just ran a marathon at a 7 min pace. It's all about getting out there and trying to get better. 

I learned early on here. There's always someone faster. And you are always faster than someone else. But most importantly, you're faster than the dude sitting on his couch who didn't even get out. So keep not being that guy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yes you can. Maybe you just have to run a little slower. 

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Those are the fast guys.

Then there is me. I’m a member of the slow club. In more ways than one probably.

Just now, Otis said:

A year ago I ran a half marathon and thought I was flying when I finished it averaging just barely under 10 minutes per mile - and I was flying for me all things considered. And these guys celebrated it the same as one of the physical freaks in here running a sub 3 hour marathon. 

Given some of what you said, you will be pumping out miles like they are nothing soon. Just takes a little time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Those are the fast guys.

Then there is me. I’m a member of the slow club. In more ways than one probably.

Whatever. Didn't you just run a sub 4 hour marathon and are about to bust out a sub 1:40 half soon? Maybe that isn't freakishly fast, but it isn't slow, IMO. Sub 1:40 is about 7:30/mile, you know... 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Whatever. Didn't you just run a sub 4 hour marathon and are about to bust out a sub 1:40 half soon? Maybe that isn't freakishly fast, but it isn't slow, IMO. Sub 1:40 is about 7:30/mile, you know... 

Yeah, not sure why he always tries saying he’s slow. 

HFS, @xulf!

You just hammered out a 47:xx 10K and a 1:11:xx 15K?!  You're a natural.  If you can run this fast on <30mi/week, imagine what you will do when you amp up the volume a bit.

Great race!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

I need to learn about this too.  Yesterday I did almost 3 hours and the only thing I had was two sips of water.  I'm about to ask a really dumb question - how much (say a rough %) of your legs dying could be due to water/food intake?  I think I just assumed my legs aren't close to trained enough but maybe I'm just an idiot and need to take some fuel with me. 

I did already tell the wife I want the flipbelt for Xmas so I'll have something to carry it in.

Make sure you get the US version. @Zasada

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

42 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

You'll get the same type of encouragement running 8 minutes for the first time as someone who just ran a marathon at a 7 min pace. It's all about getting out there and trying to get better. 

This.  Love these guys.  

43 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

I learned early on here. There's always someone faster. And you are always faster than someone else. But most importantly, you're faster than the dude sitting on his couch who didn't even get out. So keep not being that guy.

"The only person you need to beat is your former self."

Strava is great for tracking your progress.  I just passed 3,000km for the year and if I can get this butt thing under control, I have a shot at 2,000mi before the year ends.  2016 Zasada would never have believed that 3,000km in a year would be possible.  Progress for me is my prime motivator.  And Strava does a great job allowing you to see how you have improved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

:rant:

I bought it in VEGAS!!!

• Laughing 2

1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

I have used the Clif Bloks. They are basically oversized gummy bears. You can get them in a variety of flavors, with or without caffeine or salt, etc depending on what you want.

I use Clif Bloks as well.  Usually use a non caffeine one during training runs and a caffeine one during races.

also will eat bananas (during training or races) and Maurten gels (only during races and have only tried the non caffeinated ones thus far.  These are pricey.)

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

1 minute ago, Zasada said:

:rant:

I bought it in VEGAS!!!

For as great as this thread is for encouragement, things like the above may be the best parts. 

:lmao:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Welcome to the thread.  This thread is where we all put our Internet personalities down and help lift each other up.

Others have said it, there are really fast people in here.  I do okay, but I’ll never have the speed of @Juxtatarot, @pbm107, @gruecd, @MAC_32 ever.  Even if I ran full time.  I only compete against myself now.

When i was in here in the beginning, i tried to find someone who was training a bit faster than me and try to “catch” them. But i joined this thread when i was already regularly running 20-25 miles per week.

i have a little advice for you to start out with.

1.  Go to a dedicated running store and get fitted with shoes.  They will watch you run/walk and then recommend you try 3-5 kinds of shoes that are a match.  Try them all on and try to run in them. My Hoka Clifton’s felt so weird walking but the moment I ran, they felt 1000% better. 

2. if you want a running watch, then choose garmin over Apple Watch.  Just about every serious runner I know wears Garmin. The battery life, the GPS accuracy, the data, Garmin Connect portal, etc. make it a no brainer.  I’m not an Apple-hater, in fact, I type this from my IPhone.

3. As you start out, don’t focus on mileage or pace at all.  Your goal?  Time.  Start by running 8 minutes.  Then extend it to 10.  Then 12. Then 15 min.  Keep doing that until you get up to 30-40 minutes of running.  If that means you run super slow, cool.  You are simply training your body to running for an extended period of time.  Whatever you run, try to keep an even pace as best you can.  Once you get to 30-40 minutes straight of running, we can zero in on more specific workouts.  One thing too, make sure you give yourself step back workouts (where you dial back the time to let your body recover) and rest days.

4.  Strava is the ultimate motivator.  Join it.  If you don’t want your full name out there, come up with a screen name (my name isn’t really “Blind Ref” but I need to keep somewhat anonymous for professional reasons.)

5.  Good luck and this is truly a great group of guys helping each other succeed in reaching our individual goals.  Hope you stick around for a while.

Edited by SteelCurtain
  • Like 8
  • Love 1

And, where did you live down there? My father-in-law built a "rustic cabin" in the woods there 40 years ago or so. It's outside Eddyville about a 1/2 mile or so off of Lake Barkely. We inherited it awhile ago and go down there several times a year. LBL is very cool. We've hiked there numerous times as well as going to the old farm/village thing and other stuff. We are in Grand  Rivers, where the race starts, often. 

We were stationed at fort Campbell for 4 years.  That place is a dump but the surrounding area is nice.

• Like 1

@Otis hi.

Steel curtain makes many great points.

Introduce yourself to MAF, it's the best concept plan you can do, for a while. Then maybe switch it up but that really depends on your goal.

3 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I see your “ball width” and “ball girth” are smaller than the average male.  Sorry to hear that. 

Didn't go unnoticed by my wife, either.  

:kicksrock:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zasada said:

Didn't go unnoticed by my wife, either.  

:kicksrock:

And yet she still married you. So you must have something else to offer.

Just for a matter of perspective @Otis, when I got started 7 years ago the first mile I ever ran was a 16:32 pace. I was able to make it 1.54 miles that day.

That 1.54 miles saved my life.

7 years later and still going strong.

• Like 4
  • Love 7

Sub 1:40 is about 7:30/mile, you know... 

This does scare me a bit...:lol:

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

And yet she still married you. So you must have something else to offer.

Her parents had two daughters, and I enjoyed golfing & watching sports with her dad.  After 20 years of having to live with three girls/women, I think he forced his daughter to marry me.

• Laughing 3

25 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

4.  Strava is the ultimate motivator.  Join it.  If you don’t want your full name out there, come up with a screen name (my name isn’t really “Blind Ref” but I need to keep somewhat anonymous for professional reasons.). - BIG HANDS OTIS

Thanks for all the comments guys.  Temperature ended up at 25 and little wind...didnt really have any issues with it once we got going.  Although, I was one of few people in shorts with no tights/pants.  

I'll write something up later, but this is better than what I thought I could do, and I'm super pumped about it!.  I know the official time will have me at a 7:47 pace, but that course ran long.  Everyone at finish was saying they were over 9.5 miles, even up to 9.8 (I was at 9.49 in total distance and felt I did pretty well on running the tangents).  My take away from this is that I still beat my 1:13:00 goal, even on a long course...and ran 7:37/mile, which is insane to me considering I was 8:31 last month for my HM (my wife knocked 50 seconds off her HM pace for this one also).

Very much loving this new found lifestyle.

• Like 11
  • Love 4

4 minutes ago, xulf said:

Thanks for all the comments guys.  Temperature ended up at 25 and little wind...didnt really have any issues with it once we got going.  Although, I was one of few people in shorts with no tights/pants.  

I'll write something up later, but this is better than what I thought I could do, and I'm super pumped about it!.  I know the official time will have me at a 7:47 pace, but that course ran long.  Everyone at finish was saying they were over 9.5 miles, even up to 9.8 (I was at 9.49 in total distance and felt I did pretty well on running the tangents).  My take away from this is that I still beat my 1:13:00 goal, even on a long course...and ran 7:37/mile, which is insane to me considering I was 8:31 last month for my HM (my wife knocked 50 seconds off her HM pace for this one also).

Very much loving this new found lifestyle.

That's insane progress, especially with relatively low mileage. Given some time and volume, you're going to be turning some heads soon.

Way to go, fantastic race.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, -OZ- said:

@Otis hi.

Steel curtain makes many great points.

Introduce yourself to MAF, it's the best concept plan you can do, for a while. Then maybe switch it up but that really depends on your goal.

Thanks. Will investigate this. Is it something that makes sense for a beginner?

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

It depends. MAF focuses on running slowly at a very low heart rate.  It works but you have to be disciplined and it can be very frustrating for new runners.  I’d advise you not getting wrapped up in it for the time being.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yes. Running slow will help you run fast later. Plus, running slow burns more fat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

It depends. MAF focuses on running slowly at a very low heart rate.  It works but you have to be disciplined and it can be very frustrating for new runners.  I’d advise you not getting wrapped up in it for the time being.

Agreed. Right now, just focus on running slowly and increasing time on your feet little by little. You should be able to talk to someone while you run without being out of breath at all. If not, slow down.

MAF takes extra effort to pay attention to HR, stay in certain zones, and you will only see benefits after being out for a certain minimum threshold. There's more to it than just "running slow". 

Right now, just get out, stay healthy, and have fun.

• Like 1

Hey @Otis welcome! 

there will be lots of advice given... your roll is to see what works/aligns best with your goals life schedule.

My advices twofold  

A: be consistent with a constant look ahead towards your goals. 
B: have fun with it. 

beat of luck on your journey. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Agreed. Right now, just focus on running slowly and increasing time on your feet little by little. You should be able to talk to someone while you run without being out of breath at all. If not, slow down.

MAF takes extra effort to pay attention to HR, stay in certain zones, and you will only see benefits after being out for a certain minimum threshold. There's more to it than just "running slow". 

Right now, just get out, stay healthy, and have fun.

If you're completely new to anything, and don't have a heart rate monitor, sure.

As you get into things, MAF is a great way to start healthy and build.

There is more than running slow for sure, but he'd see benefits now. Even if it were just walking.

Edited by -OZ-

Welcome, @Otis!

My 2-step plan to running:

1. Run

2. There is no step 2

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

13 hours ago, Otis said:

Any thoughts on lightweight shoes vs heavy shoes?  So many of the popular running shoes tend to be heavy, and have never felt comfortable to me (eg, all the classic clunky New Balance shoes), whereas the super lightweight fly knit deals these days always feel so much better to me (the Reebok Floatride Run Fast seem to get excellent reviews). 

One thing to be aware of, and not mentioned yet, I don't think:  Something to consider is the "drop" of the shoe ...how flat the shoe is (or not).  Racing shoes tend to have a 4 mm drop (or even no drop).  The bigger/clunkier/heavier shoes tend to have a 12 mm drop.  Those shoes typically have bigger heels, and I actually find them rather hard to run in since they tend to encourage a heel strike ...hence the need for extra cushion in the heel.  I lean toward 4 mm or 8 mm shoes.  You can find excellent shoes with a 12 mm drop, so don't necessarily shy away from them.  But it's something to consider.

And speaking of heel strike, I'm not sure that's been mentioned yet either as we welcome you to this community.  Better running form is to be more of a midfoot striker rather than a heel striker.  Landing on the heel tends to reflect the fact that the runner's foot is getting out in front of the body.  In effect, each step is like putting on the brakes as the body catches up with the foot.  This all tends to occur because the main leg movement is the lower leg swinging out to initiate the movement forward rather than the more powerful upper leg.  It can be quite a mind#### to focus on a better midfoot (or forefoot) strike when getting acclimated to running.  But again, something to consider.  A good visualization is a kid on a scooter - the foot lands and pushes back ...it doesn't work to reach the foot out front of the scooter.  Plant the foot under the body and push it back.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

One thing to be aware of, and not mentioned yet, I don't think:  Something to consider is the "drop" of the shoe ...how flat the shoe is (or not).  Racing shoes tend to have a 4 mm drop (or even no drop).  The bigger/clunkier/heavier shoes tend to have a 12 mm drop.  Those shoes typically have bigger heels, and I actually find them rather hard to run in since they tend to encourage a heel strike ...hence the need for extra cushion in the heel.  I lean toward 4 mm or 8 mm shoes.  You can find excellent shoes with a 12 mm drop, so don't necessarily shy away from them.  But it's something to consider.

And speaking of heel strike, I'm not sure that's been mentioned yet either as we welcome you to this community.  Better running form is to be more of a midfoot striker rather than a heel striker.  Landing on the heel tends to reflect the fact that the runner's foot is getting out in front of the body.  In effect, each step is like putting on the brakes as the body catches up with the foot.  This all tends to occur because the main leg movement is the lower leg swinging out to initiate the movement forward rather than the more powerful upper leg.  It can be quite a mind#### to focus on a better midfoot (or forefoot) strike when getting acclimated to running.  But again, something to consider.  A good visualization is a kid on a scooter - the foot lands and pushes back ...it doesn't work to reach the foot out front of the scooter.  Plant the foot under the body and push it back.  

@tri-man 47 knows his stuff and there's a lot of truth in the above.

However, there's been a lot that I've read that says now that heel striking isn't as bad as it used to be made out to be. 

Here is a great article on it

The bigger danger is overstriding. You don't want to land with your foot in front of you. This is essentially always a heel strike and it causes lots of force to your body and joints and you are "braking" with every step. The important thing is to land with your foot underneath you. If you do this, then you are ok landing on your heel. Just land softly and listen to your body. As the article mentions, the heel strike is ok if rolling into the midfoot and forefoot.

2 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

@Otis I think familiarizing yourself with the concept wouldn't be a bad thing, but I generally agree with this. Another thing to think about when you're just getting started leaves me with some information overload concerns. Get through the acclimation phase and if this is something you want to re visit then I think it would be best done then. Several people in here have a lot of experience and knowledge (not me) on the subject should you wish to pursue it later. 

• Like 2

Hot Chocolate 15K – Columbus, Race Report

Race Preparation

After the HM on 10/20, I wasn’t sure how to proceed with my running – but, I was very pleased with my 8:31 pace I was able to muster up for the half.  I had an abbreviated prep for the HM and wanted to continue to run and really wanted a goal.  This run is partnered with Make a Wish, and one of my wife’s friends has a child who was granted a wish and was running in this event after also having done the HM.  I had no hesitation for wanting to do it since we already had the work in for the HM and it was only a few weeks later.  My wife was happy not to do it, but I convinced her that we should do it…so, we did.

After the HM, I ran ~20-25 miles a week and was trying to increase my pace just to see what I could do.  I mentioned previously that I had been having some left IT band pain with increased mileage and it has been a pain in my ### and I was very nervous about it holding for the race.  I ran 9 miles last Sunday at a 7:50 pace which was my new baseline/goal for the race.   

Pre-Race

Got up at 5:15 for the 7:30 start time.  Just got a new treadmill, so hopped on it for the whateveryoucallit run.  Showered, had some coffee and an English muffin with PB.  Temps ended up being 25, which was warmer than early forecasts.  Had compression calf sleeves and shorts on the bottom, a long-sleeve base layer and short-sleeve tech on top, with gloves and a headband ear warmer.  Got to the event, parked, went to gear check, and peed twice before the gun…getting to the corral 2 minutes before the start.  I also ate a pack of jelly belly sport beans at about 7:00. 

I felt pretty good before the start and decided that I wanted to shoot for a 7:45/mile pace and hoping I could maybe keep it between 7:40-7:45.

Mile 1 – 7:32/mi, HR 150

I was in corral A, so I knew that the zig zagging to get to pace wouldn’t be nearly as bad as the HM.  I had seen the route before the race and knew that the first mile had the most elevation.  I like to get out a little quicker at the start to get past the slower runners and use that distraction to forget about the overall upward slope.  All went as planned here.

Mile 2 – 7:26/mi, HR 163

This mile started with a nice downhill followed by an uphill.  I banked some time on the downhill before giving some of it back on the way back up.  I was a bit surprised to see a sub 7:30, but my HR was still running in the low 160’s which I am comfortable enough being at.  The pacers were pretty sporadic from what I saw on the course.  I didn’t pass the 8:30 guy until this mile.

Mile 3 – 7:39/mi, HR 167

Pretty flat mile.  Finally passed the 8:00 pacer during this mile.  He had a big group and was running about the pace I wanted to be at.  There were just too many people around, so I decided to pass them as I knew there was a water station in mile 4 and didn’t want to be around the congestion any longer than I had to be.  Some ripped guy with HS or college track shirt on and shorts that were covered in puppies blew by me here.  After this mile, I started questioning if I was going too fast and wanted to monitor my HR close moving forward as >170 usually makes me feel a bit weird.

Mile 4 – 7:41/mi, HR 168

This was part of the back of a there-and-back section of the course.  Passed my wife going the other way as she started a couple corrals behind me.  We waved and gave each other some encouragement.  HR still in an OK range for me on this one, but I know I am walking a thin line and we are only in mile 4.  I know my HR is going to go up if I keep this same effort, or I will need to back off.  But, I have made it 4 miles at a faster pace than I had wanted, so lets just keep it up.

Oh – we had our first aide station.  They were also handing out marshmallows and chocolate.  Who the hell could eat a marshmallow during a run???

Mile 5 – 7:25/mi, HR 168

Most downhill part of the course and I took advantage of it.  Kept the HR right where I wanted it to be.  The guy with the puppy shorts from mile 3 made another appearance and he was now walking with his hands on his head (don’t start too fast!).  I started noticing here the lack of people on the course versus the HM.  There were no large groups, just a lot of solo runners or twosomes sprinkled throughout.  Very different feel. 

Mile 6 – 7:40/mi, HR 168

This mile was a downhill followed by an uphill.  This race overall shows to be VERY flat, but they found just about every hill in downtown Columbus to make us run…sometimes twice.  Again, just keeping my HR in check.  Much more than this and the weirdness sets in, so I think I just naturally adjust to where I need to be.

Mile 7 – 7:46/mi, HR 169

Saw the 10K  sign on this mile.  I had been getting pretty pissed throughout that the mile markers were off by 0.15 miles from about mile 2 on (I don’t ever recall seeing mile marker one).  But, once I hit the 10K marker, I knew that all I had left was a 5K, and I just ran 3 miles the day before--so I knew it wasn't THAT bad to knock out.  If that’s all I have, I can push through, but I am feeling it.  Pace starts slipping and HR creeping into the danger zone.  I knew I wasn’t going to have a big push at the end, but I’m killing my 7:50 goal and still way up on the 7:45.  I decided to make each of these last miles their own race.  Beat 7:50 each mile…don’t let up, b/c it would be easy to take the foot off the gas.

Mile 8 – 7:45/mi, HR 169

I was starting to hurt a bit here.  Had to cross the river on a pretty steep incline. I was really hurting on the uphill and wanted to rest on the downhill but knew if I did, I wouldn’t hit the 7:50 goal.  I was running pretty much alone on this stretch and it was hurting my psyche.  Closest people in front of me were ~50 yards up.  Nobody seemed to be that close behind me either.  Thankfully, we passed the final water station.  Although I skipped the water, they were all cheering as I ran by.  Since it was just me, I knew those words of encouragement were directed only for me and it gave me a much needed push.

Mile 9 – 7:49/mi, HR 171

A steep uphill to start the mile followed by a steep downhill.  I was cursing the course at this point.  Had to push hard to beat my 7:50 mini-goal, and barely snuck in under it.

Mile 9.5 – 7:37/mi, HR 173

So close to finishing, but knew that I had extra mileage to go.  More uphill (where the hell did these hills come from?) and I was pacing at 8:20+ about a quarter mile in.  I had mentally resolved that would be fine as I didn’t have anything left.  But then the road started sloping down and I pushed ahead…trying to just catch one person, which I did right before the finish.

Official time 1:12:27 – 7:47.  Strava 7:38 for 9.49 miles 

204/3349 Overall

149/1036 Men

21/121 Men 35-39

Very pumped about my results here.  My HR has been a bit of a wildcard in the cold, but it was where I hoped it would be.  In my two races, I have really liked trying to reach just a bit farther than what I think I can do to see if I have the willpower to keep it going (and not wanting to leave anything out there).

As soon as I crossed the finish line and slowed up, my left knee tightened up.  I’m glad it held up for the race, but I definitely need to get this thing right.  I know that I need to incorporate lower body strength training into my plans since I have had IT issues on both sides.  I want to keep running over the winter, but I know that I need to allocate some time to getting the other things in better condition.

Edited by xulf
  • Like 7
  • Love 5