What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (17 Viewers)

Hot out of the gate with a 13+ minute pace in my first recorded run.  Stay tuned fells, I think I’m gonna take this down.

PS...wait is this scored like golf?  Does higher score or lower score win?  TIA 
We all start somewhere and this is a great first step. 

Now you have a benchmark and you will start seeing gains if you keep at it...remember, dont add too much at once.  Ease into it as your body doesnt know wtf is going on right now and accelerating too quickly will lead to injury (my first run was 2.4 miles and I hurt my calf during the run, had to heal for 2.5 weeks).  

Now that the marathon is over, I want to concentrate on some strength work for a bit. Have done a little while running this year but not a lot. Went to a crossfit class today at lunch at work. 

Looking forward to doing some of that over the next couple/ few months. Now about to pull a two a day with some light running on the treadmill here in a minute. 

Got a couple new pairs of sneakers in the mail. A pair of cheap NB came in today that I tried on and feel really comfortable. May run in those in the morning. Another pair coming in the mail tomorrow.  And I’m tossing that expensive pair of Nike trail shoes that coincidentally caused brutal pain in my knee and a 2 week forced rest. 

Also coming tomorrow is my Garmin Forerunner 945, and some cold weather running gear. 

It’s on!!

Now that the marathon is over, I want to concentrate on some strength work for a bit. Have done a little while running this year but not a lot. Went to a crossfit class today at lunch at work. 

Looking forward to doing some of that over the next couple/ few months. Now about to pull a two a day with some light running on the treadmill here in a minute. 
What's your mileage plan over the winter?  I'm trying to balance out the strength and miles...and dont want to regress too much.  But there are only so many hours a week I can allocate to either (well if I dont want my wife and kids to leave me that is).

What's your mileage plan over the winter?  I'm trying to balance out the strength and miles...and dont want to regress too much.  But there are only so many hours a week I can allocate to either (well if I dont want my wife and kids to leave me that is).
Base your plan on time ran, not mileage. You'll run less miles in the same time over winter and that's perfectly normal as your body has to work harder in the colder conditions. And that's before getting to the untreated surfaces. 

Just approved someone in Strava with the initials EB.  

if that’s you, please identify yourself.  Don’t need outsiders or @Otis fans to be polluting our strava group.  

So full disclosure.  I hate running.

I was a very good athlete all my life, well up until 10 years ago :)

need to lose some lbs like oats.

my daughter starts winter track this year so I started running with her last week.

i haven't run in probably 5 years so starting slow 

i just downloaded the app and trying to acclimate myself to everything.

im not going full oats :) but trying to start somewhere

So full disclosure.  I hate running.

I was a very good athlete all my life, well up until 10 years ago :)

need to lose some lbs like oats.

my daughter starts winter track this year so I started running with her last week.

i haven't run in probably 5 years so starting slow 

i just downloaded the app and trying to acclimate myself to everything.

im not going full oats :) but trying to start somewhere
Welcome aboard.

For the record, I hate running too. But I love the benefits. Loss of weight, off my cholesterol meds, better diet, longer dongs, and plenty of energy to buy shovels.

Just get through the first few weeks and you will be fine.

I have a galaxy watch and think I have that setup.  Will try it out tomorrow.  Tomorrow is 1 mile
Bell, for what it's worth, I'm doing the Couch to 5k app.  They make it pretty mindless and supposedly if you just follow exactly what they tell you, you'll be running a 5k in like 6 weeks (and you'll get there without overdoing it/hurting yourself).  The app basically runs in the background behind my music, and it tells you "start running now," "start walking now," etc.

I'm just a few weeks in, but so far I'm enjoying it.  Note, I did manage to hurt myself, but it was one or both of getting out too far ahead of what the app was telling me to do and, probably more so, a new pair of trail shoes that felt super awkward and left me injured for a couple weeks.

Good luck, glad to be not the only new guy here.  All these guys are a real riot.  They sit around all day like "I think next month I'm gonna do the local ultramarathon, but I'm going to try and beat my personal record for the first 50 miles from the last time I did it."   Oh and they speak in code a lot, so in addition to feeling like a fat loser, you get to feel stupid on top of it because you have to figure out all the acronyms.

It's like a werewolf thread.  For Olympians. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard.

For the record, I hate running too. But I love the benefits. Loss of weight, off my cholesterol meds, better diet, longer dongs, and plenty of energy to buy shovels.

Just get through the first few weeks and you will be fine.
I'm really not in the market for a shovel but the rest sounds great!!

Bell, for what it's worth, I'm doing the Couch to 5k app.  They make it pretty mindless and supposedly if you just follow exactly what they tell you, you'll be running a 5k in like 6 weeks (and you'll get there without overdoing it/hurting yourself).  The app basically runs in the background behind my music, and it tells you "start running now," "start walking now," etc.

I'm just a few weeks in, but so far I'm enjoying it.  Note, I did manage to hurt myself, but it was one or both of getting out too far ahead of what the app was telling me to do and, probably more so, a new pair of trail shoes that felt super awkward and left me injured for a couple weeks.

Good luck, glad to be not the only new guy here.  All these guys are a real riot.  They sit around all day like "I think next month I'm gonna do the local ultramarathon, but I'm going to try and beat my personal record for the first 50 miles from the last time I did it."   Oh and they speak in code a lot, so in addition to feeling like a fat loser, you get to feel stupid in top of it because you have to figure out all the acronyms.

It's like a werewolf thread.  For Olympians. 
I know the c25k thing. I'm going to wing it a little since I'm more try to train my kid with some sprints mixed in...

I have a good friend who has completed marathons in all 50 states with legit qualify times.  So I'm fully aware of the "nerd" value :)

The eye candy in this sport is better than most.  We expect a full report on the nice views that you see during training and races.  Links to photos are preferred.  

FWIW, I think it was @mr. furley's first 5K where he got schooled by some 9 year old kid during the last mile.  So you have that to look forward to.  (That said, mr.f has become a rather lean, mean running machine.)

FWIW, I think it was @mr. furley's first 5K where he got schooled by some 9 year old kid during the last mile.  So you have that to look forward to.  (That said, mr.f has become a rather lean, mean running machine.)
if i saw that kid today he'd probably beat me worse but i'm old and he's probably in college!

@Otis you can do it, buddy. i did it and i was not in anything like reasonable shape at the time. i'm 12 years post couch-->5k and still loving it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2019/11/18/exclusive-interview-camille-heron-puked-fouled-collapsed/

H E R O

“I was trying this new fuelling plan with this new product and it wasn’t going well,” Herron explains. “The race was in France, so most of the rest rooms were squat toilets. For 350 athletes, they only had three normal toilets.”

On her third bathroom stop in quick succession, she found a queue of athletes so decided to carry on. “But on that lap my bowels sort of unleashed themselves,” she says, laughing about it now. “But this is ultra running. S--- happens. Literally!”

She switched her food to cups of mashed potato, makeshift burritos and her secret weapon – beer. Her condition did not improve but then a switch flicked in her mind.
@Fat Drunk and Stupid does that every weekend minus the 168 miles

Two more stupid questions:

Couch to 5 K has 3 runs a week.  But I want to run more than that.  Do I have to take a day off if I'm feeling ok?  I ran yesterday and woke up this morning and felt good and wanted to run again, so I did.  Honestly just kind of lost interest in going to the gym to lift weights and prefer this for now.  I should get back to the weights, or at least push-ups, but for now I'm just content doing this.  

Also, I have this fancy watch coming today and it tracks HR.  Everyone talks about tracking HR.  I'm sure when you get to triathlete levels there's reasons to do that, but other than looking at it as interesting data, how should I use that?  Am I trying to keep my HR above a certain level?  below a certain level?  I'm fully expecting it to redline at "heart attack" the first time I start moving.

TIA

Couch to 5 K has 3 runs a week.  But I want to run more than that.  Do I have to take a day off if I'm feeling ok?  I ran yesterday and woke up this morning and felt good and wanted to run again, so I did.  Honestly just kind of lost interest in going to the gym to lift weights and prefer this for now.  I should get back to the weights, or at least push-ups, but for now I'm just content doing this.  

Also, I have this fancy watch coming today and it tracks HR.  Everyone talks about tracking HR.  I'm sure when you get to triathlete levels there's reasons to do that, but other than looking at it as interesting data, how should I use that?  Am I trying to keep my HR above a certain level?  below a certain level?  I'm fully expecting it to redline at "heart attack" the first time I start moving.

TIA
The miles tend to be cumulative and you may feel fine until you don’t.  The biggest obstacle outside fitness when first starting for a lot of people is injuries so just be smart and start slow.  A general rule of thumb is to increase 10% weekly - either miles or pace but not both.  This early on it may not seem like much but it’ll add up soon enough if you stick with it.  Also, make sure you are getting enough water and stretching good.

On HR, you will get much better answers on this from others but generally speaking there’s HR zones and you want to tend to spend a lot of time running in those lowers zones to build fitness (aka a base).  This is one area where I struggle - for me to run faster my HR gets up there - someone already mentioned doing MAF and how you will feel like you are running really slowly but it should reap benefits down the road.  But, for you starting out - just go run and only worry about your HR if you start getting close to your theoretical max HR.  

Last edited by a moderator:

TIA
Your fine with adding days but only if you’re feeling legit good. Best thing is to stay healthy and work into a groove.  

HR wise you will set your own baseline and zones over time using it over various effort levels. I think @gianmarco tracks all our HRs when he’s not moonlighting in tree law. 

By the way, these $48 New Balance sneakers I wore this morning felt great. Light years better than the expensive Nike trail shoes that made my knees useless for two weeks. 
I don't know if this is still a thing, but there are stores in the city where they'll film and fit you for better fitting shoe for your stride/gait. Probably stores that do this out in the sticks too. Rather than buying a bunch of shoes, I'd highly recommend going that route.

Gl Otis... And take it slow. The injury thing is real, especially trying to get back into things at our ages..but also later once you get fit and start pushing mileage and time. Don't #### around if you start feeling pain- get it checked out immediately (ideally by somebody familiar with running) and dealt with.

@Otis

We already have one resident in this thread who doesn't listen much, and I assumed you'd be number 2, but I also figured you'd wait until past day 2. WTF, dummy?

You hit an 8 min/mile pace like 4 times this morning. On an uphill, to boot. You ready to throw away your 2nd pair of shoes when you blame them for getting hurt again?

No one cares how fast you run. It's more impressive to have some discipline and run slower even when you can run faster. The times will get better. It will get more fun. But you're trying to build the 2nd story of a home before even digging a hole for a foundation.

Slow the #### down and be patient.

@Otis

We already have one resident in this thread who doesn't listen much, and I assumed you'd be number 2, but I also figured you'd wait until past day 2. WTF, dummy?

You hit an 8 min/mile pace like 4 times this morning. On an uphill, to boot. You ready to throw away your 2nd pair of shoes when you blame them for getting hurt again?

No one cares how fast you run. It's more impressive to have some discipline and run slower even when you can run faster. The times will get better. It will get more fun. But you're trying to build the 2nd story of a home before even digging a hole for a foundation.

:lmao:

WTF you can tell how fast I ran at points??  Goes to show, I have no idea how to use this stuff.  Wait’ll I get that fancy watch, you guys will be giving me colon exams over the internet and I’ll have no idea.  

Honestly, wasn’t “pushing it” at all.  Felt like I was going at a real slow pace the entire time.  Remember too that couch to 5K tells you when to start walking and when to start running.  I was just following directions.  But I didn’t feel like the run parts were overly fast, just felt like a regular jog.  Wasn’t me trying to be macho or to go fast. 

:shrug:

You keep blaming those shoes but it's far more likely it has nothing to do with them. It was likely too much too fast.
Could be, I’m not sure.  But honestly those shoes felt so awkward.  They are kind of rounded on the bottom, and overly bouncy.  Just didn’t feel natural at all.  It’s awfully coincidental that the day after I first wore them was when my knees were hurting.  But who knows.

@Otis

Jeez man. He's new. Don't go kicking him in his potatoes right outta the gate. 

Users who are viewing this thread