Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

Recommended Posts

"By the finish Herron had run 168 miles, the equivalent of running 6½ consecutive marathons, each in an average time of 3 hr 44 min." 

Well that puts things in perspective I guess. Wow. 

:kicksrock:

Edited by The Iguana
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Iguana said:

"By the finish Herron had run 168 miles, the equivalent of running 6½ consecutive marathons, each in an average time of 3 hr 44 min." 

Well that putts things in perspective I guess. Wow. 

It takes me 7 weeks to run that far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

It takes me 7 weeks to run that far.

I was thinking more that she just ran 6.5 consecutive marathons averaging faster than I just ran my 1... wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

I just accepted a character named “Big Hands” to the strava group.  Welcome aboard @Otis!

@Otis - fantastic profile pic :lmao:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot out of the gate with a 13+ minute pace in my first recorded run.  Stay tuned fells, I think I’m gonna take this down.

 

PS...wait is this scored like golf?  Does higher score or lower score win?  TIA 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Otis said:

Hot out of the gate with a 13+ minute pace in my first recorded run.  Stay tuned fells, I think I’m gonna take this down.

 

PS...wait is this scored like golf?  Does higher score or lower score win?  TIA 

We all start somewhere and this is a great first step. 

Now you have a benchmark and you will start seeing gains if you keep at it...remember, dont add too much at once.  Ease into it as your body doesnt know wtf is going on right now and accelerating too quickly will lead to injury (my first run was 2.4 miles and I hurt my calf during the run, had to heal for 2.5 weeks).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Otis said:

Hot out of the gate with a 13+ minute pace in my first recorded run.  Stay tuned fells, I think I’m gonna take this down.

 

PS...wait is this scored like golf?  Does higher score or lower score win?  TIA 

We’re also here to help you spend $ on shoes and gear.  

If you put a peloton bike on a peloton treadmill it counts double on strava. 

  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the marathon is over, I want to concentrate on some strength work for a bit. Have done a little while running this year but not a lot. Went to a crossfit class today at lunch at work. 

Looking forward to doing some of that over the next couple/ few months. Now about to pull a two a day with some light running on the treadmill here in a minute. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a couple new pairs of sneakers in the mail. A pair of cheap NB came in today that I tried on and feel really comfortable. May run in those in the morning. Another pair coming in the mail tomorrow.  And I’m tossing that expensive pair of Nike trail shoes that coincidentally caused brutal pain in my knee and a 2 week forced rest. 
 

Also coming tomorrow is my Garmin Forerunner 945, and some cold weather running gear. 
 

It’s on!!

 

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

@Otis will keep running once he realizes he can get likes on Strava.

 

Can likes be transferred here?

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Now that the marathon is over, I want to concentrate on some strength work for a bit. Have done a little while running this year but not a lot. Went to a crossfit class today at lunch at work. 

Looking forward to doing some of that over the next couple/ few months. Now about to pull a two a day with some light running on the treadmill here in a minute. 

What's your mileage plan over the winter?  I'm trying to balance out the strength and miles...and dont want to regress too much.  But there are only so many hours a week I can allocate to either (well if I dont want my wife and kids to leave me that is).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Otis said:

Can likes be transferred here?

:lmao:

No.

  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Otis said:

Can likes be transferred here?

If this wasn't the best thread in the FFA already, it is now.

Edited by Sand
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, xulf said:

What's your mileage plan over the winter?  I'm trying to balance out the strength and miles...and dont want to regress too much.  But there are only so many hours a week I can allocate to either (well if I dont want my wife and kids to leave me that is).

Base your plan on time ran, not mileage. You'll run less miles in the same time over winter and that's perfectly normal as your body has to work harder in the colder conditions. And that's before getting to the untreated surfaces. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This @Otis character is taking this thread by storm. Otis, were you one of the originals in here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oats, you might want to change your dog breed selection based on your newly found running lifestyle. 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just approved someone in Strava with the initials EB.  
 

if that’s you, please identify yourself.  Don’t need outsiders or @Otis fans to be polluting our strava group.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

Just approved someone in Strava with the initials EB.  
 

if that’s you, please identify yourself.  Don’t need outsiders or @Otis fans to be polluting our strava group.  

What's the profile picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So full disclosure.  I hate running.

I was a very good athlete all my life, well up until 10 years ago :)

need to lose some lbs like oats.

my daughter starts winter track this year so I started running with her last week.

i haven't run in probably 5 years so starting slow 

i just downloaded the app and trying to acclimate myself to everything.

im not going full oats :) but trying to start somewhere

  • Like 9
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, belljr said:

So full disclosure.  I hate running.

I was a very good athlete all my life, well up until 10 years ago :)

need to lose some lbs like oats.

my daughter starts winter track this year so I started running with her last week.

i haven't run in probably 5 years so starting slow 

i just downloaded the app and trying to acclimate myself to everything.

im not going full oats :) but trying to start somewhere

Welcome aboard.

For the record, I hate running too. But I love the benefits. Loss of weight, off my cholesterol meds, better diet, longer dongs, and plenty of energy to buy shovels.

Just get through the first few weeks and you will be fine.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a galaxy watch and think I have that setup.  Will try it out tomorrow.  Tomorrow is 1 mile

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, belljr said:

I have a galaxy watch and think I have that setup.  Will try it out tomorrow.  Tomorrow is 1 mile

Bell, for what it's worth, I'm doing the Couch to 5k app.  They make it pretty mindless and supposedly if you just follow exactly what they tell you, you'll be running a 5k in like 6 weeks (and you'll get there without overdoing it/hurting yourself).  The app basically runs in the background behind my music, and it tells you "start running now," "start walking now," etc.

I'm just a few weeks in, but so far I'm enjoying it.  Note, I did manage to hurt myself, but it was one or both of getting out too far ahead of what the app was telling me to do and, probably more so, a new pair of trail shoes that felt super awkward and left me injured for a couple weeks.

Good luck, glad to be not the only new guy here.  All these guys are a real riot.  They sit around all day like "I think next month I'm gonna do the local ultramarathon, but I'm going to try and beat my personal record for the first 50 miles from the last time I did it."   Oh and they speak in code a lot, so in addition to feeling like a fat loser, you get to feel stupid on top of it because you have to figure out all the acronyms.

It's like a werewolf thread.  For Olympians. 

Edited by Otis
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Welcome aboard.

For the record, I hate running too. But I love the benefits. Loss of weight, off my cholesterol meds, better diet, longer dongs, and plenty of energy to buy shovels.

Just get through the first few weeks and you will be fine.

I'm really not in the market for a shovel but the rest sounds great!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Otis said:

Bell, for what it's worth, I'm doing the Couch to 5k app.  They make it pretty mindless and supposedly if you just follow exactly what they tell you, you'll be running a 5k in like 6 weeks (and you'll get there without overdoing it/hurting yourself).  The app basically runs in the background behind my music, and it tells you "start running now," "start walking now," etc.

I'm just a few weeks in, but so far I'm enjoying it.  Note, I did manage to hurt myself, but it was one or both of getting out too far ahead of what the app was telling me to do and, probably more so, a new pair of trail shoes that felt super awkward and left me injured for a couple weeks.

Good luck, glad to be not the only new guy here.  All these guys are a real riot.  They sit around all day like "I think next month I'm gonna do the local ultramarathon, but I'm going to try and beat my personal record for the first 50 miles from the last time I did it."   Oh and they speak in code a lot, so in addition to feeling like a fat loser, you get to feel stupid in top of it because you have to figure out all the acronyms.

It's like a werewolf thread.  For Olympians. 

I know the c25k thing. I'm going to wing it a little since I'm more try to train my kid with some sprints mixed in...

I have a good friend who has completed marathons in all 50 states with legit qualify times.  So I'm fully aware of the "nerd" value :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I do walk at lunch, should I bother tracking that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Iguana said:

@belljr well there went the neighborhood! Am I your inspirational hero? You can tell me...

Lol...if I tell you it's Otis will you be mad?

I was going to post in the other thread when I got going but saw you here :)

my daughter was my main inspiration but you did have a role gb

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, belljr said:

Also I do walk at lunch, should I bother tracking that?

I tracked stuff like that when I started - dog walks, runs, walk through the grocery store... eventually I got a little more selective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Iguana said:

I tracked stuff like that when I started - dog walks, runs, walk through the grocery store... eventually I got a little more selective. 

Yeah, now you dont even bother to track full marathons.

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 10
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The eye candy in this sport is better than most.  We expect a full report on the nice views that you see during training and races.  Links to photos are preferred.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xulf said:

Yeah, now you dont even bother to track full marathons.

Ouch.. that hurts! 

But well played. 

:lmao:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteelCurtain said:

The eye candy in this sport is better than most.  We expect a full report on the nice views that you see during training and races.  Links to photos are preferred.  

That's bell's daughter, man! 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, xulf said:

Yeah, now you dont even bother to track full marathons.

Wish I could say I set that up on purpose... man! So cold! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, xulf said:

Yeah, now you dont even bother to track full marathons.

:lmao:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Otis said:

Bell, for what it's worth, I'm doing the Couch to 5k app.  They make it pretty mindless and supposedly if you just follow exactly what they tell you, you'll be running a 5k in like 6 weeks (and you'll get there without overdoing it/hurting yourself).  The app basically runs in the background behind my music, and it tells you "start running now," "start walking now," etc.

FWIW, I think it was @mr. furley's first 5K where he got schooled by some 9 year old kid during the last mile.  So you have that to look forward to.  (That said, mr.f has become a rather lean, mean running machine.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tri-man 47 said:

FWIW, I think it was @mr. furley's first 5K where he got schooled by some 9 year old kid during the last mile.  So you have that to look forward to.  (That said, mr.f has become a rather lean, mean running machine.)

if i saw that kid today he'd probably beat me worse but i'm old and he's probably in college!

@Otis you can do it, buddy. i did it and i was not in anything like reasonable shape at the time. i'm 12 years post couch-->5k and still loving it.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TripleThreat said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/athletics/2019/11/18/exclusive-interview-camille-heron-puked-fouled-collapsed/

H E R O

“I was trying this new fuelling plan with this new product and it wasn’t going well,” Herron explains. “The race was in France, so most of the rest rooms were squat toilets. For 350 athletes, they only had three normal toilets.”

On her third bathroom stop in quick succession, she found a queue of athletes so decided to carry on. “But on that lap my bowels sort of unleashed themselves,” she says, laughing about it now. “But this is ultra running. S--- happens. Literally!”

She switched her food to cups of mashed potato, makeshift burritos and her secret weapon – beer. Her condition did not improve but then a switch flicked in her mind.

@Fat Drunk and Stupid does that every weekend minus the 168 miles

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more stupid questions:

Couch to 5 K has 3 runs a week.  But I want to run more than that.  Do I have to take a day off if I'm feeling ok?  I ran yesterday and woke up this morning and felt good and wanted to run again, so I did.  Honestly just kind of lost interest in going to the gym to lift weights and prefer this for now.  I should get back to the weights, or at least push-ups, but for now I'm just content doing this.  

Also, I have this fancy watch coming today and it tracks HR.  Everyone talks about tracking HR.  I'm sure when you get to triathlete levels there's reasons to do that, but other than looking at it as interesting data, how should I use that?  Am I trying to keep my HR above a certain level?  below a certain level?  I'm fully expecting it to redline at "heart attack" the first time I start moving.

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Otis said:

Two more stupid questions:

Couch to 5 K has 3 runs a week.  But I want to run more than that.  Do I have to take a day off if I'm feeling ok?  I ran yesterday and woke up this morning and felt good and wanted to run again, so I did.  Honestly just kind of lost interest in going to the gym to lift weights and prefer this for now.  I should get back to the weights, or at least push-ups, but for now I'm just content doing this.  

Also, I have this fancy watch coming today and it tracks HR.  Everyone talks about tracking HR.  I'm sure when you get to triathlete levels there's reasons to do that, but other than looking at it as interesting data, how should I use that?  Am I trying to keep my HR above a certain level?  below a certain level?  I'm fully expecting it to redline at "heart attack" the first time I start moving.

TIA

The miles tend to be cumulative and you may feel fine until you don’t.  The biggest obstacle outside fitness when first starting for a lot of people is injuries so just be smart and start slow.  A general rule of thumb is to increase 10% weekly - either miles or pace but not both.  This early on it may not seem like much but it’ll add up soon enough if you stick with it.  Also, make sure you are getting enough water and stretching good.

On HR, you will get much better answers on this from others but generally speaking there’s HR zones and you want to tend to spend a lot of time running in those lowers zones to build fitness (aka a base).  This is one area where I struggle - for me to run faster my HR gets up there - someone already mentioned doing MAF and how you will feel like you are running really slowly but it should reap benefits down the road.  But, for you starting out - just go run and only worry about your HR if you start getting close to your theoretical max HR.  

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, don’t worry about asking “dumb” questions - I do it all the time.  Everyone is at different levels.  I’m still just beyond a novice in my mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Otis said:

Two more stupid questions:

Couch to 5 K has 3 runs a week.  But I want to run more than that.  Do I have to take a day off if I'm feeling ok?  I ran yesterday and woke up this morning and felt good and wanted to run again, so I did.  Honestly just kind of lost interest in going to the gym to lift weights and prefer this for now.  I should get back to the weights, or at least push-ups, but for now I'm just content doing this.  

Also, I have this fancy watch coming today and it tracks HR.  Everyone talks about tracking HR.  I'm sure when you get to triathlete levels there's reasons to do that, but other than looking at it as interesting data, how should I use that?  Am I trying to keep my HR above a certain level?  below a certain level?  I'm fully expecting it to redline at "heart attack" the first time I start moving.

TIA

Your fine with adding days but only if you’re feeling legit good. Best thing is to stay healthy and work into a groove.  

HR wise you will set your own baseline and zones over time using it over various effort levels. I think @gianmarco tracks all our HRs when he’s not moonlighting in tree law. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Otis said:

By the way, these $48 New Balance sneakers I wore this morning felt great. Light years better than the expensive Nike trail shoes that made my knees useless for two weeks. 

I don't know if this is still a thing, but there are stores in the city where they'll film and fit you for better fitting shoe for your stride/gait. Probably stores that do this out in the sticks too. Rather than buying a bunch of shoes, I'd highly recommend going that route.

Gl Otis... And take it slow. The injury thing is real, especially trying to get back into things at our ages..but also later once you get fit and start pushing mileage and time. Don't #### around if you start feeling pain- get it checked out immediately (ideally by somebody familiar with running) and dealt with.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if Otis is doing this, maybe it's finally time to start doing more than my one weekly run, which is starting to lose the battle.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Otis said:

By the way, these $48 New Balance sneakers I wore this morning felt great. Light years better than the expensive Nike trail shoes that made my knees useless for two weeks. 

You keep blaming those shoes but it's far more likely it has nothing to do with them. It was likely too much too fast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.