Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

3 hours ago, gdub said:

Not much of a runner, but pop into this thread every once in a while.  My daughters are runners with a focus on distance...my oldest is a freshman who runs xc and outdoor.  Her longest race is a 5k, so she isn't training for a 10k/half.  Was curious what kind of advice you would give a young female distance runner.  I have done a bit of reading and provide some guidance during the offseason.  My oldest runs about 30-35 mpw and mixes in an occasional long run and some controlled repeats at tempo pace.  Hill sprints and some short track sprints just to keep a little sharpness before her competitive seasons.  Curious about training with heart rate...I know its been mentioned in this thread.  Any thoughts, advice, etc would be appreciated.

I'm a big HR fan, but for younger runners and shorter distances, I don't feel like it's worthwhile.  I do like the training mix!

11 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:
3 hours ago, gdub said:

Not much of a runner, but pop into this thread every once in a while.  My daughters are runners with a focus on distance...my oldest is a freshman who runs xc and outdoor.  Her longest race is a 5k, so she isn't training for a 10k/half.  Was curious what kind of advice you would give a young female distance runner.  I have done a bit of reading and provide some guidance during the offseason.  My oldest runs about 30-35 mpw and mixes in an occasional long run and some controlled repeats at tempo pace.  Hill sprints and some short track sprints just to keep a little sharpness before her competitive seasons.  Curious about training with heart rate...I know its been mentioned in this thread.  Any thoughts, advice, etc would be appreciated.

I'm a big HR fan, but for younger runners and shorter distances, I don't feel like it's worthwhile.  I do like the training mix!

14yr old kids are changing so much so fast that I wouldn't find the HR info too reliable.

Agree on the training mix - that looks perfect to me.  Just make sure she's recovering enough between workouts.

The two biggest obstacles when it comes to young female runners are keeping them healthy and figuring out whatever is going on above their neck on that given day.

14 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

The two biggest obstacles when it comes to young females runners are keeping them healthy and is figuring out whatever is going on above their neck on that given day.

FYP

Edited by xulf
  • Like 4

^^^Not wrong, but adolescents are a completely different level of crazy and irrationality.

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

^^^Not wrong, but adolescents are a completely different level of crazy and irrationality.

I have two girls...I can't wait :sadbanana:

• Sad 1

On 1/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, El Floppo said:

Have started getting Achilles issues (post-run soreness), which is new. Have a call in to my old tri-club teammate and PT to try to nip this in the bud. Getting old and fat sucks.

Doesn't take my insurance.

Any advice for who to see for an achy Achilles? 

Should I go right to a PT?, see a Dr first?

I'll answer yers.

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Doesn't take my insurance.

Any advice for who to see for an achy Achilles? 

Should I go right to a PT?, see a Dr first?

I'll answer yers.

Roll your calves and check for knots.

Edit: Demo

Edit edit:  I think she's going too fast but she's pretty so I'll stick with her.

Before I had a roller, I just used a rolling pin.  Anything like that works.

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Roll your calves and check for knots.

Thanks...

Roll with a roller? Not trying to be funny...just not getting this entirely...will the knot inhibit the roller, or will I feel it in my calf?

I have a history of ankle issues (both were sprained for 3 years running in HS) that led to issues doing heavy duty training. 

So far, this isn't heavy duty, but it's the most I've done in a while... and from reading sounds like tendonitis. Definitely different than what happened previously.

Just now, El Floppo said:

Thanks...

Roll with a roller? Not trying to be funny...just not getting this entirely...will the knot inhibit the roller, or will I feel it in my calf?

I have a history of ankle issues (both were sprained for 3 years running in HS) that led to issues doing heavy duty training. 

So far, this isn't heavy duty, but it's the most I've done in a while... and from reading sounds like tendonitis. Definitely different than what happened previously.

See my edits.  Everything is connected and a lot of times Achilles issues are calf related.  I've been able to keep chronic Achilles problems in check by calf rolling.  Do it slowly and notice if it really hurts in a section of the calf or not -- that's how you detect knots.  You can roll those knots out over time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Juxtatarot said:

See my edits.  Everything is connected and a lot of times Achilles issues are calf related.  I've been able to keep chronic Achilles problems in check by calf rolling.  Do it slowly and notice if it really hurts in a section of the calf or not -- that's how you detect knots.  You can roll those knots out over time.

Thanks.

Any advice re: Dr vs phys therapist? 

I've seen both in the past, but both were multisports guys themselves and understood how to approach pt while keeping training

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Thanks.

Any advice re: Dr vs phys therapist? 

I've seen both in the past, but both were multisports guys themselves and understood how to approach pt while keeping training

My guesses:

Doctor will probably do X-Rays (and tell you they look fine) and write a prescription for physical therapy.  

Physical therapist will focus on various calf and other leg stretches and some strengthening exercises.  I could give you some more specifics if you want them.

Certainly nothing wrong with going that route but you might want to try some of this on your own first.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

My guesses:

Doctor will probably do X-Rays (and tell you they look fine) and write a prescription for physical therapy.  

Physical therapist will focus on various calf and other leg stretches and some strengthening exercises.  I could give you some more specifics if you want them.

Certainly nothing wrong with going that route but you might want to try some of this on your own first.

Thanks gb.

I've gone the "do it myself" route with less than positive results before. I finally have decent insurance that covers PT, so I thought I'd try that first.

• Like 1

1.5 Mile WU, 3 @ HM Pace, 1.5 Mile CD

Was able to knock out the 3 at 7:36 pace. Goal for my spring half is 7:38 pace. Heart rate was 173, which is right in my normal HM shovel zone.

Had to run this on a treadmill because of the bitter cold wind chill, but my treadmill has a natural 1 degree incline because my basement floor slants a bit.

Just wanted to put this here so I can refer back to it later since I'm too dumb to figure out how to get a treadmill run to strava. I'm guessing there is really no way to segment the parts of the run where I run faster.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

1.5 Mile WU, 3 @ HM Pace, 1.5 Mile CD

Was able to knock out the 3 at 7:36 pace. Goal for my spring half is 7:38 pace. Heart rate was 173, which is right in my normal HM shovel zone.

Had to run this on a treadmill because of the bitter cold wind chill, but my treadmill has a natural 1 degree incline because my basement floor slants a bit.

Just wanted to put this here so I can refer back to it later since I'm too dumb to figure out how to get a treadmill run to strava. I'm guessing there is really no way to segment the parts of the run where I run faster.

The calibration of my watch is so bad that I just manually input it into strava (deleting the original entry).  You dont get the lap info, but you can always refer back to Garmin Connect for the analysis stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Iguana said:

So, you risk losing digits and the end of your nose to frostbite but a little rain makes you run inside? 

🤔

Texas rain/lightning!  

Forecast looks better for tomorrow.  Maybe rain but no lightning.  It's on.  

@bushdocda (my fellow Saucony brother)

Kinvara 10 -- I officially hate this Kinvara 10. I'm this close to sending it back. It feels nothing like the 8 and 9 to me, feels too big, and it takes me a couple miles before I finally don't feel the shoe and how it doesn't fit well. I'll still use it at this point, but I'm only using it for shorter recovery runs. I'm just disappointed because I can't find anymore Kinvara 9s in my size and don't know what I'm going to use as a daily wear when this last pair is done.

Saucony Freedom ISO 2 -- Just used it a couple days ago for the first time. Really good feel when I put it on, very cushiony. My lower leg started feeling soreness a couple miles in. Definitely working different muscles than my Kinvara 9. But after a couple more miles it felt better. I like it and think it'll be a great shoe to rotate with the Kinvara. Will look to start using it for longer runs.

Saucony Peregrine 8 Ice+ -- Wow, love this shoe for what it's made for. Used it during the snow and ice the other day and it's literally like a snow tire for your feet. So grippy and stable and comfortable. Made running in the snow really fun. The pair I got is a size smaller than usual but it's ok because I won't ever race in these. This pair looks like it'll last forever and will be my winter shoe for several seasons.

Right now, I'll rotate the Kinvara 9/Freedom for most runs. I just want to try and save the 9 for as long as possible so will use the 10 as well as long as it's not a longer run. I just have no idea what I'm going to get next.

ETA -- Kinvara 11 out and ships in February.

Edited by gianmarco

Also, quick marathon shoe question.

Which do you prefer?

Lighter shoe (Kinvara 9 -- 7.1 oz) so that you aren't running with a heavier shoe for so long (but less cushion)

Or

Heavier shoe (Freedom ISO 2 -- 9.1 oz) so that you have good cushioning for a long run (but heavier weight)?

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Which do you prefer?

Lighter shoe (Kinvara 9 -- 7.1 oz) so that you aren't running with a heavier shoe for so long (but less cushion)

Or

Heavier shoe (Freedom ISO 2 -- 9.1 oz) so that you have good cushioning for a long run (but heavier weight)?

As little weight as possible without injuring yourself. 

Just now, MAC_32 said:

That's what I was afraid of. I need to save these Kinvara 9s for that race.

7 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Which do you prefer?

Or

Do I need to ship you some Vaporflys? 

5 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I mostly agree. Try different shoes on long runs. Find what you like and use it.

I think my favorite shoes are actually the Saucony zealot iso 3, but they're more shoe than I usually prefer. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Which do you prefer?

Or

I used the same shoe in training for all of my races.

Don't overthink this.

• Like 4

There's a saucony outlet store near me. Actually bought 2 pairs of shoes there recently but have only worn each once so far. Loved the peregrine iso trail shoes, hoping to get to go out in them again this weekend. The others are an "Omni iso" or something like that. Not sure about them yet. 

2 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Don't overthink this.

I kind of did the same. But I have a few different ones I wore. I just wore my favorite/ most comfortable pair for the race. Actually did buy a new pair of them for the race since the training pair was getting considerable mileage on them. 

24 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

This.

20 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

Do I need to ship you some Vaporflys? 

I read today they are going to ban these for races.

So they'd be perfect for gianastro.

29 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Kinvara 10 -- I officially hate this Kinvara 10. I'm this close to sending it back. It feels nothing like the 8 and 9 to me, feels too big, and it takes me a couple miles before I finally don't feel the shoe and how it doesn't fit well. I'll still use it at this point, but I'm only using it for shorter recovery runs. I'm just disappointed because I can't find anymore Kinvara 9s in my size and don't know what I'm going to use as a daily wear when this last pair is done.

Saucony Freedom ISO 2 -- Just used it a couple days ago for the first time. Really good feel when I put it on, very cushiony. My lower leg started feeling soreness a couple miles in. Definitely working different muscles than my Kinvara 9. But after a couple more miles it felt better. I like it and think it'll be a great shoe to rotate with the Kinvara. Will look to start using it for longer runs.

Saucony Peregrine 8 Ice+ -- Wow, love this shoe for what it's made for. Used it during the snow and ice the other day and it's literally like a snow tire for your feet. So grippy and stable and comfortable. Made running in the snow really fun. The pair I got is a size smaller than usual but it's ok because I won't ever race in these. This pair looks like it'll last forever and will be my winter shoe for several seasons.

Right now, I'll rotate the Kinvara 9/Freedom for most runs. I just want to try and save the 9 for as long as possible so will use the 10 as well as long as it's not a longer run. I just have no idea what I'm going to get next.

Send em back brother or try smaller if the fit is wonky on the 10s or get 11s in 2 weeks.
Or see if you can get these - Amazon looks to have 1pair 9s in 14 in red/black 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PHC9DL/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_ORriEbA0MHQW7

I find the kinvaras to be enough for a marathon, used for my 2nd. Agree with as little as you need comment. And also using race shoe on simulation days and with taking more cushion on easy runs. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Don't overthink this.

I know, but that's why I'm asking now. With only one pair of Kinvara 9s left that I just started using and that has been my shoe for the last year and that I love, I need to stop wearing it now and save it for July. It's light and incredibly comfortable.

11 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I only have 3 runs in the 10s, but they fit my misshaped feet well... but I have no baseline of the 9s.  Maybe you should mangle one of your feet so they fit better :shrug:

My only criticism of the 10s is that I wish they had slightly more cushioning.

Edited by xulf
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, xulf said:

I only have 3 runs in the 10s, but they fit my misshaped feet well... but I have no baseline of the 9s.  Maybe you should mangle one of your feet so they fit better :shrug:

My only criticism of the 10s is that I wish they had slightly more cushioning.

I'm glad they work for you. Again, not sure if it's the sizing, but they just don't feel good. It's not as if the 9s are super cushiony but, for me, they have all I need. They fit like a glove.

@bushdocda is right, I'm sending the 10s back. I found two pairs left on Amazon of the 9, so I'm getting those. Last time I looked there weren't any available. Thanks, GB.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Which do you prefer?

New Balance FuelCell Rebel

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 2

Just now, gruecd said:

Hahaha why did you tag me in this?

Remember when he flipped out that you worked out 3x in one day?  He's doing a double!!

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Remember when he flipped out that you worked out 3x in one day?  He's doing a double!!

Ooooh, that's right.  Ol' boy is getting after it today!

16 hours ago, ChiefD said:

I read today they are going to ban these for races.

So they'd be perfect for gianastro.

Link for the former?  Clever for the latter.

Gotta beat the storm coming in tomorrow to have a chance at an ok-ish volume week. Been super meh on most runs so far this year. 

46 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Huh.  I will say, those Alphafly shoes look really unnatural.  Let's see where they draw the line, and how it affects amateurs like us and the races we run in.  Maybe we'll all have to ship our banned Vaporfly shoes to @JShare87 ...he can build a little hill in his backyard with them and get some elevation.

• Laughing 3

1 hour ago, tri-man 47 said:

Huh.  I will say, those Alphafly shoes look really unnatural.  Let's see where they draw the line, and how it affects amateurs like us and the races we run in.  Maybe we'll all have to ship our banned Vaporfly shoes to @JShare87 ...he can build a little hill in his backyard with them and get some elevation.

By the looks of the AlphaFlys, those should net me a ton of elevation. Jeez, they look like platform shoes!

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

5 hours ago, JShare87 said:

By the looks of the AlphaFlys, those should net me a ton of elevation. Jeez, they look like platform shoes!

When is your race? 

7 hours ago, ChiefD said:

When is your race? 

Next Sunday. Sorry I didn’t start a countdown 247 days out. 

Edited by JShare87
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 7
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

First run of 2020 last night.  I was sick for 3 weeks so took the opportunity to give my knee an extended rest - in retrospect, I shouldn’t have done it.  Got lazy, ate like #### and not running put me in a bad mental state.  Knee feels ok but not really any different - I was making plenty of progress so just going to focus on stretching and icing.

• Like 5

Happy New Year rundudes.

Went to a knee specialist yesterday; same guy who replaced my dad's knee last year.  They took X-rays, he saw me, he had me lay down and twisted my leg around in various directions, and then concluded I'm totally fine and my knee looks great.  That doesn't jibe with what I experienced for the week or so following my runs in November/December.  But he says the knees both look great, and he recommended physical therapy 2-3x per week and mainly "lots of stretching." 

I'll be honest -- no way am I going to bother making the time to go to physical therapy for this.  Perhaps I could look online and come up with some stretching protocols to try before I try running again.

The other issue here is I ended up buying a rowing machine for my basement and, as you Strava dudes know, I've been killing it pretty good.  And the knee has been 100% fine.  As a result, I'm greatly improvement my fitness and losing weight, and now have a fitness and eating routine that just seems to work well for me.  So, as much as I want to run, I'm wondering if I should even bother at this point.  The only thing I'm missing is the fresh air and sunshine, so maybe once the weather starts to warm, I'll find a stretching routine and give it another go, and mix that in as a break from rowing?  (Or heck, if I can solve the knee issue, maybe I run in spring an summer and row in the cold weather, to mix it up)

:shrug:

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Otis said:

Happy New Year rundudes.

Went to a knee specialist yesterday; same guy who replaced my dad's knee last year.  They took X-rays, he saw me, he had me lay down and twisted my leg around in various directions, and then concluded I'm totally fine and my knee looks great.  That doesn't jibe with what I experienced for the week or so following my runs in November/December.  But he says the knees both look great, and he recommended physical therapy 2-3x per week and mainly "lots of stretching." 

I'll be honest -- no way am I going to bother making the time to go to physical therapy for this.  Perhaps I could look online and come up with some stretching protocols to try before I try running again.

The other issue here is I ended up buying a rowing machine for my basement and, as you Strava dudes know, I've been killing it pretty good.  And the knee has been 100% fine.  As a result, I'm greatly improvement my fitness and losing weight, and now have a fitness and eating routine that just seems to work well for me.  So, as much as I want to run, I'm wondering if I should even bother at this point.  The only thing I'm missing is the fresh air and sunshine, so maybe once the weather starts to warm, I'll find a stretching routine and give it another go, and mix that in as a break from rowing?  (Or heck, if I can solve the knee issue, maybe I run in spring an summer and row in the cold weather, to mix it up)

:shrug:

Glad knee is ok per the doc. Keep rowing. If you feel like running when it’s warm, take it short and slow to start. Keep rowing.  Going to a PT for a session or two is pretty good idea to get in the right track. Keep rowing. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bushdocda said:

Glad knee is ok per the doc. Keep rowing. If you feel like running when it’s warm, take it short and slow to start. Keep rowing.  Going to a PT for a session or two is pretty good idea to get in the right track. Keep rowing. 

This.

My guess is it's probably a combination of tight hamstrings and tight IT band.  During the winter, while you keep rowing, get a roller and see if you can work that IT band and stretch so you can run later if you decide to.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 1

Good that you just hurt rather than being injured. If/ when you get back to running, ease into it and make sure you stretch well. 

Pretty excited to get my trail shoes pr here shortly and go run some hills. Have had to wait out the rain some this morning. 

• Love 1