What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

@Brony - a total shot in the dark here, but I was just reading at article at The Athletic about Brad Evans - a soccer player who retired this past year and played for Sporting KC for a bit.

Anyway, the article was about his retirement and such, but within the article it touched on him having a long term injury in his calf, that turned out to be herniated disk in his lower back. I thought of you immediately and didn't know if you ever explored the possibility that your calf injury may originate from something else.

Just a thought.

I've never been to that thread.  Interesting?  Fun?  Good ideas?  Recipes?  Solid Schtick?  Pics? 

Give me the cliffs notes version of that thread.
Interesting at times. Some good ideas and solid challenges put out from time to time (push up challenge, planking challenge, rowing challenge) - rowing challenge got otis hooked on rowing and making real life changes it seems. Definitely some solid schtick that roles through. 

I downloaded it and was just looking through stats.  Did you find anything useful?  I don't think I have.  
Not really. I’ve been looking most at the one on ‘Stats’ that is labeled ‘Performance Distance x Avg HR’ and charts fitness and fatigue. I need to look at how that one is working. And I can’t get it to go back past last summer. 

Not really. I’ve been looking most at the one on ‘Stats’ that is labeled ‘Performance Distance x Avg HR’ and charts fitness and fatigue. I need to look at how that one is working. And I can’t get it to go back past last summer. 
I connected from Garmin and it went back to 2012 when I first started uploading there.  One annoying thing is it averages miles without a heart rate monitor (often treadmill miles for me) as is my HR were 0 instead of excluding those runs.  

I might look at it from time to time but nothing seemed important enough to monitor on a frequent basis.

@Brony - a total shot in the dark here, but I was just reading at article at The Athletic about Brad Evans - a soccer player who retired this past year and played for Sporting KC for a bit.

Anyway, the article was about his retirement and such, but within the article it touched on him having a long term injury in his calf, that turned out to be herniated disk in his lower back. I thought of you immediately and didn't know if you ever explored the possibility that your calf injury may originate from something else.

Just a thought.
Nerves are serious.

Saucony Peregrine 8 Ice+ -- Wow, love this shoe for what it's made for. Used it during the snow and ice the other day and it's literally like a snow tire for your feet. So grippy and stable and comfortable. Made running in the snow really fun. The pair I got is a size smaller than usual but it's ok because I won't ever race in these. This pair looks like it'll last forever and will be my winter shoe for several seasons.
Can I infer this as a rec for the Peregrine 10s?  

Just a thought.
Thanks for this.  I've tried to find this article online but it stops just when it talks about Russian Bathhouses (even on outline dot com).  I'll keep looking. 

As I don't know the etiology for my calf injury, I'm open to all options.  I've had x-rays on my back for other stuff and this didn't come up, but who knows.  I have a follow-up appointment with my ortho this Friday and I'll see if this prompts anything.  I hear they love it when you bring in stuff from the internet. 

Soooooo, just before New Year's, I challenged @MAC_32 on Strava to run 2500 miles with me in 2020.   He accepted the challenge. 

Right now, @MAC_32 is on fire and I'm barely holding it together.

STANDINGS

@MAC_32 - 153 miles

@SteelCurtain - 100 miles

I'll update periodically throughout the year.  Anyone else want to join the 2500 mile challenge?
I am a little behind where I wanted to be at this point, I was sick one weekend and missed 2 runs, but I’ll join.  

Thanks for this.  I've tried to find this article online but it stops just when it talks about Russian Bathhouses (even on outline dot com).  I'll keep looking. 

As I don't know the etiology for my calf injury, I'm open to all options.  I've had x-rays on my back for other stuff and this didn't come up, but who knows.  I have a follow-up appointment with my ortho this Friday and I'll see if this prompts anything.  I hear they love it when you bring in stuff from the internet. 
An x-ray isn’t going to show a herniated disc. You’re going to need an MRI for that. But hey, I’m no doctor. 

Ohhhh, it's months away but my new Dallas community has a 5K race that's timed.  Winning time last year was 22:30 -- this is a race I could podium on (ran sub-22 in Sep)!

Definitely putting that on the calendar.  Nothing like limited competition to give me motivation!

Hey guys.  I just approved a new athlete into our Strava group.  The initials are KA.

Please confirm its you.  If no one owns that its them, I'll boot him in a few days.  We are exclusive like that.
Ah yes  :hey:   - thanks for the inclusion. I’m not good for much but clicking the thumbs up on other people’s exercises. 

Also, word on the street is @gianmarco yells at you if you start slacking which will be nice when I inevitability fall off the wagon. 

41 degrees in the morning with 20 mph sustained winds and 30mph gusts. Real feel will be 28 degrees! @gruecd, I’m seeking permission to sleep in tomorrow. What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a long talk with myself while just out on a run... An argument you might even call it. Kind of like one of those cartoons with an angel version of iggy on one shoulder and a devil version on the other. Thought about relaying the whole conversation here in a diary like diatribe. But that would be a bit ironic as was the end result of the extremely long discussion. I'm still going to be a bit too wordy, cause I can't help myself. Basically it became a discussion about "why are you running?", "who are you doing this for?", and "why do you have those goals?" 

In a moment of clarity the answer came to me from an off handed comment I made and that subsequently was quoted back:

"Just shut up and run already!" 

While you won't get me to not talk/type,too much, I think I'm ready to make that my 2020 motto. All that came from me going out to run about 6 miles, coming about :thisclose: to cutting it short and only doing 3 or 4 before ultimately running 8 to at least briefly catch up with @ChiefD for the month. I still can't see myself coming close to 2500 or anything but I do want to commit to doing the work needed to run a sub 1:30 hm and a sub 3:30 or better full in November. 

Remind me of this if I start whining or skipping out on the work.

I had a long talk with myself while just out on a run... An argument you might even call it. Kind of like one of those cartoons with an angel version of iggy on one shoulder and a devil version on the other. Thought about relaying the whole conversation here in a diary like diatribe. But that would be a bit ironic as was the end result of the extremely long discussion. I'm still going to be a bit too wordy, cause I can't help myself. Basically it became a discussion about "why are you running?", "who are you doing this for?", and "why do you have those goals?" 

In a moment of clarity the answer came to me from an off handed comment I made and that subsequently was quoted back:

"Just shut up and run already!" 

While you won't get me to not talk/type,too much, I think I'm ready to make that my 2020 motto. All that came from me going out to run about 6 miles, coming about :thisclose: to cutting it short and only doing 3 or 4 before ultimately running 8 to at least briefly catch up with @ChiefD for the month. I still can't see myself coming close to 2500 or anything but I do want to commit to doing the work needed to run a sub 1:30 hm and a sub 3:30 or better full in November. 

Remind me of this if I start whining or skipping out on the work.
Like the new mantra. 

BTW -- if you run a sub 1:30 HM, you will crush the 3:30 marathon too. 

ChiefD said:

Just a thought.
Oh. And I know this has been beaten into the ground, but I was thinking of @ChiefDthis past weekend. Not during the AFC game, but whilst clearing my driveway of snow. 

SteelCurtain said:
Hey guys.  I just approved a new athlete into our Strava group.  The initials are KA.

Please confirm its you.  If no one owns that its them, I'll boot him in a few days.  We are exclusive like that.
Don't know the dude, but I'm starting to think indoor rowers are crazier than treadmill or 99 laps around the gym. 

The Iguana said:
you are too slow! and looking at the rowing activities on the account, I'm sure that's him.
Welcome! 

I swear every time I get going something happens.  I took one of the harder I can remember this morning.   I took a route I don't usually take in the dark for the first time.  There is a tiny, maybe 300-400 yard section where I have to jump back out on the road, but at 5:30am there are never any cars.  As soon as I hopped on a car came.  I took one step off to the gravel and freaking ate it.  Twisted my left ankle ( I still have weak sissy ankles) but my right knee took the brunt of this.  The knee looks like it got shot with a shotgun, but what worries me is the pain.  I could barely walk home.  

Here 2.5 hours later the knee is still throbbing, like it I've been hit with a sledge hammer.  Hoping its just a deep bruise.  Any sort of bending or walking is pretty painful at this point.  

You guys think its just a deep bruise?  I'm fairly certain I didn't twist it or anything.  It just took a direct hit from the asphalt.  

I swear every time I get going something happens.  I took one of the harder I can remember this morning.   I took a route I don't usually take in the dark for the first time.  There is a tiny, maybe 300-400 yard section where I have to jump back out on the road, but at 5:30am there are never any cars.  As soon as I hopped on a car came.  I took one step off to the gravel and freaking ate it.  Twisted my left ankle ( I still have weak sissy ankles) but my right knee took the brunt of this.  The knee looks like it got shot with a shotgun, but what worries me is the pain.  I could barely walk home.  

Here 2.5 hours later the knee is still throbbing, like it I've been hit with a sledge hammer.  Hoping its just a deep bruise.  Any sort of bending or walking is pretty painful at this point.  

You guys think its just a deep bruise?  I'm fairly certain I didn't twist it or anything.  It just took a direct hit from the asphalt.  
Anytime there’s a large amount of swelling and little movement, I would think it’s more than a bruise. But hey, I’m no doctor. Hope it’s nothing. Sucks you keep going through stuff. Feel better!

SteelCurtain said:
Soooooo, just before New Year's, I challenged @MAC_32 on Strava to run 2500 miles with me in 2020.   He accepted the challenge. 

Right now, @MAC_32 is on fire and I'm barely holding it together.

STANDINGS

@MAC_32 - 153 miles

@SteelCurtain - 100 miles

I'll update periodically throughout the year.  Anyone else want to join the 2500 mile challenge?
Count me in, bishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
JShare87 said:
41 degrees in the morning with 20 mph sustained winds and 30mph gusts. Real feel will be 28 degrees! @gruecd, I’m seeking permission to sleep in tomorrow. What say you?
Sorry, I was traveling home last night and didn't see this.  Probably too late now, but regardless....permission to sleep in denied.  Permission to wear tights granted.

Users who are viewing this thread