What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Working on trying to find a good balance of structure (like when I'm coached) and flexibility (when I'm not).

So I've scheduled a standing "meeting" with myself every Wednesday morning at 7am for my mid-week 80-minute MLR.  These longer mid-week runs take a lot of time, and if I don't get them done right away in the morning, it can get really hard to squeeze them in later in the day.  So I'll just go into work a little later those days.

Thursday will be "workout" day.  Specifics TBD each week depending on how I feel.

Long runs on Saturday.  Only one or two 20-milers, but lots of 16-18.  Add some kind of quality (speed-ups, fast finish, etc.) at least two out of every four.

Do whatever I feel like doing the rest of the days, just so I get to 60ish miles each week.  "De-load" weeks every 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI... the Aftershokz headphones were a little pricey, but they are also awesome for mowing the lawn and on a plane, etc. They come with a pair of ear plugs that you use to block out the ambient noise and then it pumps the sound into the ear via the bone conduction. Get a similar but somewhat different effect that a nice set of noise cancelling headphones provide when in a noisy setting. 

Actually just went to verify price on them and they are currently running a sale - the Treks Air are currently $119.95 instead of 149. The Titanium ones are 79.95 instead of 99.95. Major difference between the 2 of them is weight. 1 ounce vs 1.3 ounces makes more of a difference than you might think. 

Personally I have always hated earbuds but then a couple years ago or so I had to get hearing aids. My wife would tell you I needed them many years ago but I kept putting it off. Those go in my ear but are far smaller and I actually have a thing that turns them into headphones, which is great for in the office, etc. But they don't deal well with moisture at all so using it when running isn't an option. Bonuses for me with the Aftershokz is that I can wear both the hearing aids and the headphones without interfering with each other and the bone conduction puts the sound right in my head when not wearing the hearing aids so I get clear sound then too. 

One big question I had before getting them was about how well they would fit when wearing glasses/sunglasses but they curve right around those too. 
Saw a pair of these at Sam's yesterday and picked them up for $99.  My wife still uses wired earbuds and her old flip phone for music a la @MAC_32.  She has never been able to find a truly comfortable pair of earbuds/headphones. 

Brought them on our run today and she is in absolute love with them.  I tried them on and they are pretty darn cool.  Very light, very comfortable.  I might pick up a pair and start listening to music on runs again.  I got tired of having to take an earbud out and it dangling and sweat keeping it in my ear, etc. 

Any of you guys like Eminem? He dropped a surprise album last week, and it's absolute fire.

Highly recommend that you check it out on your next run!

Well it's been a ####ty four weeks since Christmas Day.  Felt crappy that day and came down with something mirroring flu or bronchitis that I've battled for three straight weeks, which finally subsided over the past week.  But along a parallel path (even a bit longer), I've had stomach pains causing me fits.  Had some serious concerns that there was potential lingering damage to kidney or liver from the rhabdo incident in September, but full lab workup came back spotless.  Ultrasound results only pointed at one borderline abnormality (enlarged bile duct), so now it's "wait and see" and if symptoms don't subside off to see a gastroenterologist.  Needless to say, WSER training has been off to a terrible start.

Oh, and I didn't get picked in the Superior 100 lottery today.  Super duper incredibly bummed.   :cry: :kicksrock:  

And I know, I know.  There are far worse things in the world than a wicked cold, constant stomach pains, a lack of running, and not getting into the one race I want to get into.  But just had to vent.  Apologies.

/whining

Sucks, gb, and hope it's not a serious health issue.  But you've got 5 months until your taper, so don't stress the late start to your training..  

Bummer about Superior, though.  But not like you don't have another little race to focus on. 

Had the most painful sports massage ever today.  It was all elbows and forearms, and I swear he hit places on my legs I've never even thought about. First work I've had done in months, so that was probably part of it.  But damn that hurt.  Went for a hike tonight and the couple of times I thought about breaking into an easy run, my legs made clear to me that was not happening.

And now to distract from my continued intermittent training ( @tri-man 47 busted me on my primary tactic) a pic of my dog on tonight's hike.

@JShare87

Weather is looking pristine coming up......

About time you caught a break.
Not sure I could hand-pick better weather. Body feels amazing for the first time in a long time (besides for my butt pain from pinched nerve). No excuses. Should be a good indicator of what I’m capable of. 

Pipe dream: sub 3 

Goal A: 3:05 (previous BQ time for my age)

Goal B: 3:10

Goal C 3:15

Goal D PR (3:20)

Not sure I could hand-pick better weather. Body feels amazing for the first time in a long time (besides for my butt pain from pinched nerve). No excuses. Should be a good indicator of what I’m capable of. 

Looks like 45 degrees to start, up to 55 by race end.  Some clouds.  5 mph winds.  Sunny the day before to dry up any moisture.  So awesome. 

Runs lately have looked awesome.  Now you just get to run your victory lap.  Enjoy this!  Can't wait.....

Any of you guys like Eminem? He dropped a surprise album last week, and it's absolute fire.

Highly recommend that you check it out on your next run!
Kinda, some stuff much more than others.  He's a local guy from the Detroit area, so even if I don't love his stuff I'll check it out. 

Looks like 45 degrees to start, up to 55 by race end.  Some clouds.  5 mph winds.  Sunny the day before to dry up any moisture.  So awesome. 

Runs lately have looked awesome.  Now you just get to run your victory lap.  Enjoy this!  Can't wait.....
How many pairs of gloves does @JShare87 need for 45 degrees?  Does he need a toque?

It'll change, but this being the second month in a row...it is bizarre (to me) seeing my name at the top of mileage lists. 

Snowy with ####ty footing here today, so I'm gonna do my Newton Hills treadmill workout:

0.64 miles at 3% incline

0.75 flat

0.34 miles at 5% incline

1.1 mile flat

0.47 miles at 3% incline

0.4 miles flat

0.48 miles at 4% incline

Just need to decide what pace...

JShare87 said:

What’s the plan?  Go out on A pace and hold or you thinking conservative start pressing for a negative split?  
Good luck GB!

When I got these Saucony Peregrine Ice+ shoes, the description was something along the lines of "not only will you not dread getting out in the snow and ice but will actually look forward to it".  And I'm thinking to myself, yeah, ok, nice marketing.

It's 100% true.  These shoes are so much ####### fun to run in.  Completely different experience.  Now, I've never really had "trail" shoes and I'm sure there may be others like this, but if you are looking for a pair of shoes to use in the winter for snow/ice/wet stuff, I HIGHLY suggest trying these out.

ETA -- Linked on Amazon as they are on sale in all sizes.

When I got these Saucony Peregrine Ice+ shoes, the description was something along the lines of "not only will you not dread getting out in the snow and ice but will actually look forward to it".  And I'm thinking to myself, yeah, ok, nice marketing.

It's 100% true.  These shoes are so much ####### fun to run in.  Completely different experience.  Now, I've never really had "trail" shoes and I'm sure there may be others like this, but if you are looking for a pair of shoes to use in the winter for snow/ice/wet stuff, I HIGHLY suggest trying these out.
So you really like those, eh?

What’s the plan?  Go out on A pace and hold or you thinking conservative start pressing for a negative split?  
Good luck GB!
I was thinking of starting closer to B or C pace and seeing how I feel after a mile or 2. Highly doubt I start out at anything close to 7 flat.

JShare87 said:

Pipe dream: sub 3 (~6:52/mile)

Goal A: 3:05 (previous BQ time for my age) (~7:03/mile)

I'm quite comfortable that you'll achieve your A goal, and I don't think sub-3 is that much of a stretch.  Your steady dose of double-digit runs have come down from 7:4x to low 7:3x and high 7:2x.  You've controlled the HR on a couple of long 'MP' runs with pacing in the 6:50s and some strong HMP runs.  You've built in some solid speed workouts.  And now, you're adding ideal weather to the mix.

I feel you could go out at  6:55-7:00/mile pacing and, then, pick that up if the HR stays under control (which is a realistic option). I don't think you'll have trouble holding a 7:00/mile pace.  The challenge is likely to be the final miles, given that you've had just one 18 miler and one 20 miler.  Develop a strong mental plan and mantras to sustain you through the final several miles, and you'll end up with a fantastic time!!!  I'd love to see you join the 2:xx club. 

I'm quite comfortable that you'll achieve your A goal, and I don't think sub-3 is that much of a stretch.  Your steady dose of double-digit runs have come down from 7:4x to low 7:3x and high 7:2x.  You've controlled the HR on a couple of long 'MP' runs with pacing in the 6:50s and some strong HMP runs.  You've built in some solid speed workouts.  And now, you're adding ideal weather to the mix.

I feel you could go out at  6:55-7:00/mile pacing and, then, pick that up if the HR stays under control (which is a realistic option). I don't think you'll have trouble holding a 7:00/mile pace.  The challenge is likely to be the final miles, given that you've had just one 18 miler and one 20 miler.  Develop a strong mental plan and mantras to sustain you through the final several miles, and you'll end up with a fantastic time!!!  I'd love to see you join the 2:xx club. 
Can’t tell you how much confidence this gives me coming from you. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread