Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

10 hours ago, Brony said:

Oh. And I know this has been beaten into the ground, but I was thinking of @ChiefDthis past weekend. Not during the AFC game, but whilst clearing my driveway of snow. 

It's good to be known for something like shoveling.

In a running thread....

:kicksrock:

Edited by ChiefD
  • Laughing 5

1 hour ago, ChiefD said:

It's good to be known for something like shoveling.

In a running thread....

Your new profile pic sucks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

3 hours ago, -OZ- said:

I might go for 2,000. 

Kilometers. 

Oooh...  I can even go after 2500 of those! 

• Thinking 1

I swear every time I get going something happens.  I took one of the harder I can remember this morning.   I took a route I don't usually take in the dark for the first time.  There is a tiny, maybe 300-400 yard section where I have to jump back out on the road, but at 5:30am there are never any cars.  As soon as I hopped on a car came.  I took one step off to the gravel and freaking ate it.  Twisted my left ankle ( I still have weak sissy ankles) but my right knee took the brunt of this.  The knee looks like it got shot with a shotgun, but what worries me is the pain.  I could barely walk home.  

Here 2.5 hours later the knee is still throbbing, like it I've been hit with a sledge hammer.  Hoping its just a deep bruise.  Any sort of bending or walking is pretty painful at this point.  

You guys think its just a deep bruise?  I'm fairly certain I didn't twist it or anything.  It just took a direct hit from the asphalt.  

• Sad 5

37 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I swear every time I get going something happens.  I took one of the harder I can remember this morning.   I took a route I don't usually take in the dark for the first time.  There is a tiny, maybe 300-400 yard section where I have to jump back out on the road, but at 5:30am there are never any cars.  As soon as I hopped on a car came.  I took one step off to the gravel and freaking ate it.  Twisted my left ankle ( I still have weak sissy ankles) but my right knee took the brunt of this.  The knee looks like it got shot with a shotgun, but what worries me is the pain.  I could barely walk home.  

Here 2.5 hours later the knee is still throbbing, like it I've been hit with a sledge hammer.  Hoping its just a deep bruise.  Any sort of bending or walking is pretty painful at this point.  

You guys think its just a deep bruise?  I'm fairly certain I didn't twist it or anything.  It just took a direct hit from the asphalt.  

Anytime there’s a large amount of swelling and little movement, I would think it’s more than a bruise. But hey, I’m no doctor. Hope it’s nothing. Sucks you keep going through stuff. Feel better!

16 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

Soooooo, just before New Year's, I challenged @MAC_32 on Strava to run 2500 miles with me in 2020.   He accepted the challenge. 

Right now, @MAC_32 is on fire and I'm barely holding it together.

STANDINGS

@MAC_32 - 153 miles

@SteelCurtain - 100 miles

I'll update periodically throughout the year.  Anyone else want to join the 2500 mile challenge?

Count me in, bishes.

Edited by gruecd

14 hours ago, JShare87 said:

41 degrees in the morning with 20 mph sustained winds and 30mph gusts. Real feel will be 28 degrees! @gruecd, I’m seeking permission to sleep in tomorrow. What say you?

Sorry, I was traveling home last night and didn't see this.  Probably too late now, but regardless....permission to sleep in denied.  Permission to wear tights granted.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

12 hours ago, SteelCurtain said:

Like the new mantra. 

Same.

Got a new one for myself, too...inspired by a hip-hop song by Kevin Gates.  

#Idgt (I don't get tired)

Not meant as a brag, but more like saying to myself during a workout, "You're not tired.  You don't get tired."

• Like 3

Working on trying to find a good balance of structure (like when I'm coached) and flexibility (when I'm not).

So I've scheduled a standing "meeting" with myself every Wednesday morning at 7am for my mid-week 80-minute MLR.  These longer mid-week runs take a lot of time, and if I don't get them done right away in the morning, it can get really hard to squeeze them in later in the day.  So I'll just go into work a little later those days.

Thursday will be "workout" day.  Specifics TBD each week depending on how I feel.

Long runs on Saturday.  Only one or two 20-milers, but lots of 16-18.  Add some kind of quality (speed-ups, fast finish, etc.) at least two out of every four.

Do whatever I feel like doing the rest of the days, just so I get to 60ish miles each week.  "De-load" weeks every 3-4 weeks.

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, gruecd said:

"De-load" weeks every 3-4 weeks.

Can this happen at a Kansas City church?  

(see ChiefD - you're not just the shovel guy to us!)

6 hours ago, gruecd said:

Count me in, bishes.

Yeah, 2,500mi will be a reach for me (given my desire to focus more on trails/elevation in 2020), but what the hell.  Sign me up.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 8:23 AM, The Iguana said:

FYI... the Aftershokz headphones were a little pricey, but they are also awesome for mowing the lawn and on a plane, etc. They come with a pair of ear plugs that you use to block out the ambient noise and then it pumps the sound into the ear via the bone conduction. Get a similar but somewhat different effect that a nice set of noise cancelling headphones provide when in a noisy setting. 

Actually just went to verify price on them and they are currently running a sale - the Treks Air are currently $119.95 instead of 149. The Titanium ones are 79.95 instead of 99.95. Major difference between the 2 of them is weight. 1 ounce vs 1.3 ounces makes more of a difference than you might think. 

Personally I have always hated earbuds but then a couple years ago or so I had to get hearing aids. My wife would tell you I needed them many years ago but I kept putting it off. Those go in my ear but are far smaller and I actually have a thing that turns them into headphones, which is great for in the office, etc. But they don't deal well with moisture at all so using it when running isn't an option. Bonuses for me with the Aftershokz is that I can wear both the hearing aids and the headphones without interfering with each other and the bone conduction puts the sound right in my head when not wearing the hearing aids so I get clear sound then too. 

One big question I had before getting them was about how well they would fit when wearing glasses/sunglasses but they curve right around those too. 

Saw a pair of these at Sam's yesterday and picked them up for $99.  My wife still uses wired earbuds and her old flip phone for music a la @MAC_32.  She has never been able to find a truly comfortable pair of earbuds/headphones. 

Brought them on our run today and she is in absolute love with them.  I tried them on and they are pretty darn cool.  Very light, very comfortable.  I might pick up a pair and start listening to music on runs again.  I got tired of having to take an earbud out and it dangling and sweat keeping it in my ear, etc. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, -OZ- said:

Your new profile pic sucks. 

Why?  It looks like a locally-branded shovel head.  I like it.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

Any of you guys like Eminem? He dropped a surprise album last week, and it's absolute fire.

Highly recommend that you check it out on your next run!

• Love 1

28 minutes ago, gruecd said:

Any of you guys like Eminem? He dropped a surprise album last week, and it's absolute fire.

Kesha make any surprise appearances on it? 

• Laughing 3

2 hours ago, JShare87 said:

Kesha make any surprise appearances on it? 

Sadly, no.  

On 1/20/2020 at 2:32 PM, SayWhat? said:

Well it's been a ####ty four weeks since Christmas Day.  Felt crappy that day and came down with something mirroring flu or bronchitis that I've battled for three straight weeks, which finally subsided over the past week.  But along a parallel path (even a bit longer), I've had stomach pains causing me fits.  Had some serious concerns that there was potential lingering damage to kidney or liver from the rhabdo incident in September, but full lab workup came back spotless.  Ultrasound results only pointed at one borderline abnormality (enlarged bile duct), so now it's "wait and see" and if symptoms don't subside off to see a gastroenterologist.  Needless to say, WSER training has been off to a terrible start.

Oh, and I didn't get picked in the Superior 100 lottery today.  Super duper incredibly bummed.  :cry::kicksrock: 

And I know, I know.  There are far worse things in the world than a wicked cold, constant stomach pains, a lack of running, and not getting into the one race I want to get into.  But just had to vent.  Apologies.

/whining

Sucks, gb, and hope it's not a serious health issue.  But you've got 5 months until your taper, so don't stress the late start to your training..  

Bummer about Superior, though.  But not like you don't have another little race to focus on. 

• Like 1

Had the most painful sports massage ever today.  It was all elbows and forearms, and I swear he hit places on my legs I've never even thought about. First work I've had done in months, so that was probably part of it.  But damn that hurt.  Went for a hike tonight and the couple of times I thought about breaking into an easy run, my legs made clear to me that was not happening.

And now to distract from my continued intermittent training ( @tri-man 47 busted me on my primary tactic) a pic of my dog on tonight's hike.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

On 1/8/2020 at 4:38 PM, Juxtatarot said:

@gianmarco  Someone offered to buy lunch next Friday.  They mean the 17th, right?

How/when was lunch?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gianmarco said:

How/when was lunch?

17th. Some of the best croutons I’ve ever had on the Caesar salad. Otherwise, meh.

Pondered while cleaning the driveway this morning...

What makes a shovel a shovel? Is it a functional definition? Is a spoon technically also a shovel?

• Thinking 3

14 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

@JShare87

Weather is looking pristine coming up......

About time you caught a break.

Not sure I could hand-pick better weather. Body feels amazing for the first time in a long time (besides for my butt pain from pinched nerve). No excuses. Should be a good indicator of what I’m capable of. 

Pipe dream: sub 3 

Goal A: 3:05 (previous BQ time for my age)

Goal B: 3:10

Goal C 3:15

Goal D PR (3:20)

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Just now, JShare87 said:

Not sure I could hand-pick better weather. Body feels amazing for the first time in a long time (besides for my butt pain from pinched nerve). No excuses. Should be a good indicator of what I’m capable of. 

Looks like 45 degrees to start, up to 55 by race end.  Some clouds.  5 mph winds.  Sunny the day before to dry up any moisture.  So awesome. 

Runs lately have looked awesome.  Now you just get to run your victory lap.  Enjoy this!  Can't wait.....

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1) @JShare87 - when is this and why isn't it on the race calendar?!!!??!

2) tracking info?

3) Are you people barbarians? The race calendar is meant to be a calendar! put your events in date order people! Come on, now. 

:D 

Don't worry, I cleaned things up a bit for you!

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

14 hours ago, gruecd said:

Kinda, some stuff much more than others.  He's a local guy from the Detroit area, so even if I don't love his stuff I'll check it out. 

53 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Looks like 45 degrees to start, up to 55 by race end.  Some clouds.  5 mph winds.  Sunny the day before to dry up any moisture.  So awesome. 

Runs lately have looked awesome.  Now you just get to run your victory lap.  Enjoy this!  Can't wait.....

How many pairs of gloves does @JShare87 need for 45 degrees?  Does he need a toque?

• Laughing 2

4 minutes ago, gruecd said:

How many pairs of gloves does @JShare87 need for 45 degrees?  Does he need a toque?

I'm thinking oven mitts and shirtless. 

• Laughing 3

9 minutes ago, gruecd said:

At least one, that’s for sure. Hopefully I can ditch them at the halfway mark if the sun comes out.

6 minutes ago, Brony said:

I'm thinking oven mitts and shirtless. 

Shorts, pullover, headband, gloves, socks, shoes. Ditching the pullover and gloves halfway. Will ditch the shorts at the finish if I BQ.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Laughing 2

50 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

1) @JShare87 - when is this and why isn't it on the race calendar?!!!??!

2) tracking info?

3) Are you people barbarians? The race calendar is meant to be a calendar! put your events in date order people! Come on, now. 

:D 

Don't worry, I cleaned things up a bit for you!

Tracking is through the RaceJoy app. Search for the Celebration marathon on the 26th. Bib number 152.

• Like 3

Just now, JShare87 said:

Shorts, pullover, headband, gloves, socks, shoes. Ditching the pullover and gloves halfway. Will ditch the shorts at the finish if I BQ.

:lmao:

Stop talking about clothing and post tracking info!

Just now, JShare87 said:

Ditch the pullover before you start.  (You'll be OK.  I promise.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

Ditch the pullover before you start.  (You'll be OK.  I promise.)

:goodposting:  

4 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

I'm required to post this

Killer boots man!

• Laughing 2

36 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

Quoting this so you can't go back and destroy the proof after you BQ but go back on your vow to ditch your shorts.

• Like 1

It'll change, but this being the second month in a row...it is bizarre (to me) seeing my name at the top of mileage lists. 

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

It'll change, but this being the second month in a row...it is bizarre (to me) seeing my name at the top of mileage lists. 

Same with me seeing my name even on the list.

And in the famous words of @ChiefD -- "No"

• Like 3
  • Laughing 2

As much as I enjoy seeing my own improvement, I love seeing my wife's improvement that much more.

Here's her run from 9/11/19 (just 4 months ago) while doing MAF with me

Here's her run with me yesterday.   Longer distance as well.

ETA -- To be fair, that run in September was brutally hot in the upper 90's.  Here's another one from 9/20/19 where it was 74 degrees and not too humid.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, gianmarco said:

As much as I enjoy seeing my own improvement, I love seeing my wife's improvement that much more.

Here's her run from 9/11/19 (just 4 months ago) while doing MAF with me

Here's her run with me yesterday.   Longer distance as well.

ETA -- To be fair, that run in September was brutally hot in the upper 90's.  Here's another one from 9/20/19 where it was 74 degrees and not too humid.

fairly progressive of you to be showing us your wife's improvements...

:oldunsure:

13 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

fairly progressive of you to be showing us your wife's improvements...

:oldunsure:

Not quite sure what that means, but ok?

6 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Not quite sure what that means, but ok?

bad attempt at a joke... 

Snowy with ####ty footing here today, so I'm gonna do my Newton Hills treadmill workout:

0.64 miles at 3% incline

0.75 flat

0.34 miles at 5% incline

1.1 mile flat

0.47 miles at 3% incline

0.4 miles flat

0.48 miles at 4% incline

Just need to decide what pace...

4 hours ago, JShare87 said:

What’s the plan?  Go out on A pace and hold or you thinking conservative start pressing for a negative split?  
Good luck GB!

1 hour ago, bushdocda said:

What’s the plan?  Go out on A pace and hold or you thinking conservative start pressing for a negative split?  
Good luck GB!

Might I suggest running the first 10K something a tad slower than GMP and then letting 'er rip?

• Like 1

When I got these Saucony Peregrine Ice+ shoes, the description was something along the lines of "not only will you not dread getting out in the snow and ice but will actually look forward to it".  And I'm thinking to myself, yeah, ok, nice marketing.

It's 100% true.  These shoes are so much ####### fun to run in.  Completely different experience.  Now, I've never really had "trail" shoes and I'm sure there may be others like this, but if you are looking for a pair of shoes to use in the winter for snow/ice/wet stuff, I HIGHLY suggest trying these out.

ETA -- Linked on Amazon as they are on sale in all sizes.

Edited by gianmarco
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, JShare87 said:

Tracking is through the RaceJoy app. Search for the Celebration marathon on the 26th. Bib number 152.

Locked and loaded... :thumbup:

• Love 2