What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

Going to catch some heat for this, but I try and keep it real with you guys, Meatloaf: I Will Do Anything for Love. And then, it cut off. Was feeling it.
that is intriguing. 

When I picture Meatloaf, I don't picture a runner, but whatever gets the blood pumping.  I can't knock Meatloaf while I've got Robyn in my earbuds. 

Going to catch some heat for this, but I try and keep it real with you guys, Meatloaf: I Will Do Anything for Love. And then, it cut off. Was feeling it.
I didn't plug in my watch yesterday morning before going out for my run. With about 2 miles left in my 13.1, I got buzzed to let me know the battery was critical and had to turn off my music to conserve battery life. I don't always run with music on but having to turn our off at that point of a long run was a bummer and bit of a distraction. Can only imagine the problem of it happening during a race. 

As for music choices, I have a number of items in my list that many probably wouldn't consider typical running songs but they work for me. Actually just looked and I don't have any Meatloaf but there's a number of them that I could add. That one would be a good one, imo. 

that is intriguing. 

When I picture Meatloaf, I don't picture a runner, but whatever gets the blood pumping.  I can't knock Meatloaf while I've got Robyn in my earbuds. 
Went to a Meatloaf concert back in the late 90s... he put on quite the show and used up more energy than many a runner, imo. 

I didn't plug in my watch yesterday morning before going out for my run. With about 2 miles left in my 13.1, I got buzzed to let me know the battery was critical and had to turn off my music to conserve battery life. I don't always run with music on but having to turn our off at that point of a long run was a bummer and bit of a distraction. Can only imagine the problem of it happening during a race.
@gruecd posted in Strava about his torture of being without music on a recent run.  I'm obviously super-old school, but I honestly can't imagine running with the distraction of music (and needing to plan and manage it) while running.  I've got the rhythm of my breathing, the sounds around me, and the various, random thoughts that flit through my mind.  And that's enough.  :shrug:

@gruecd posted in Strava about his torture of being without music on a recent run.  I'm obviously super-old school, but I honestly can't imagine running with the distraction of music (and needing to plan and manage it) while running.  I've got the rhythm of my breathing, the sounds around me, and the various, random thoughts that flit through my mind.  And that's enough.  :shrug:
I do both. Actually I had never run with music until sometime last year. I've decided that in races and harder workouts I prefer no music. But long runs, it's nice to "lose myself" in some tunes. That said, there had been more than once that I've gotten tired of listening and turned it off. 

Just depends on a number of things - what mood I'm in, where I'm running, what kind of run I'm doing. Probably most helpful when I go to the indoor track. Easier to space out on the 407 little circles I have to run. 

I don't plan nor manage it. I create playlists whenever I have some down time and think it's time for a change. I just pick one, hit play, then go. If I hear something I don't want to listen to then when I'm done I'll remove it from the list. Occassionally I'll want to listen to a particular artist or album and I'll seek it out, but it isn't frequent. And again, just hit play then go.

It's my only opportunity most days to just get lost in the music. The combination, running and music, it is my stress relief. It's my normalizer. 

I just listen to podcasts and Pandora. There's no need to manage it, but I'll skip songs occasionally. 

I have realized recently that I enjoy having no music often too, just depends on the mood.  Hard workouts I do prefer music. 

I don't listen in the pool and don't want to, that's a certain form of meditation. 

As for music choices, I have a number of items in my list that many probably wouldn't consider typical running songs but they work for me. Actually just looked and I don't have any Meatloaf but there's a number of them that I could add. That one would be a good one, imo. 
We're all weird in our own way. 

I have everything from Eminem, Volbeat, Lindsey Sterling, acid jazz, Paul Simon, parov stelar, Neil diamond, Gordon Lightfoot, brothers Osborne, badflower... 

Last edited by a moderator:
Still trying to recover from yesterday. Wasn’t able to eat much of anything. Haven’t moved from bed since I got home. Didn’t really feel the impact of being sick during the run other than my throat hurting. Now starting to realize it wasn’t a good idea. 

I'm pretty excited with how the year has started off. I haven't really done any long runs until this past weekend when I went out for 13.1 - partially just to get a long run back in but also to get the useless strava badge :D . With just that 1 run longer than 8 miles, I should finish the month with my 3rd highest total ever - the only other 2 with more were during marathon training and those were highly boosted by multiple runs of 15-20 miles. Been working on just adding a mile here and a mile there. Numerous times I've turned a planned run of 5 or 6 miles into 7 or 8. 

Pretty excited to see what happens if I can continue to 'up my game'. 

And, I'll only be about 10-15 miles short of those highest months depending on what I run between now and Friday - maybe less if I get to feeling extra frisky...

Sorry if I missed it, but do we have a consensus on foot pods?  Im look at the Garmin 010-12520-00 Running Dynamics Pod and curious if its BMF worthy.

:banned:

Two more days to get the streak to 50 days, but I think I'm going to tap out at that point. I'm planning a SoS-long back-to-back Thu-Fri and if that ends up being the case I think Wed off to get fresh(er) would be best. Either way, it's been a hell of a run.

Two more days to get the streak to 50 days, but I think I'm going to tap out at that point. I'm planning a SoS-long back-to-back Thu-Fri and if that ends up being the case I think Wed off to get fresh(er) would be best. Either way, it's been a hell of a run.
I'm at 54 days although that includes a 1 mile run, a 3 miler and a few 4s.  Fitness still isn't anywhere near where I'd like it.  It's going to take at least a couple more months.  

I'm at 54 days although that includes a 1 mile run, a 3 miler and a few 4s.  Fitness still isn't anywhere near where I'd like it.  It's going to take at least a couple more months.  
Eh, it's winter in the north - I don't think there's much benefit in assessing fitness levels for at least a month and probably not until sometime in March. I get that winter in Chicago is different than Cleveland, but our net effort on every run is greater right now vs. most of the rest of the year.

What happens when all of your days are lunch pail days? Asking for a guy I know who likes shovels.
I suspect on a micro level it's more complex than this, but from a macro level - like last winter it'll take extra effort now to reap the benefits come spring. If you don't want next winter to repeat itself then you must figure out what's preventing you from sustaining the winter/spring gains between summer and next winter. It's a problem to solve another day, but I think it's important to identify that as the problem now.

Eh, it's winter in the north - I don't think there's much benefit in assessing fitness levels for at least a month and probably not until sometime in March. I get that winter in Chicago is different than Cleveland, but our net effort on every run is greater right now vs. most of the rest of the year.
Our weather has been good so far.  Almost always in the 20s to even low 30s in the morning. Not much snow either.  Best January in years.  Probably not cold enough to affect effort enough?

I suspect on a micro level it's more complex than this, but from a macro level - like last winter it'll take extra effort now to reap the benefits come spring. If you don't want next winter to repeat itself then you must figure out what's preventing you from sustaining the winter/spring gains between summer and next winter. It's a problem to solve another day, but I think it's important to identify that as the problem now.
I already know what the problem is.

I hate running. I hate the grind. I hate having to work around 3 kids schedules every day of the week (and this winter has been the worst so far). I hate eating the same dang foods every day because I know the running is going to suck if I actually eat what I want to eat. I hate feeling tired all the damn time.

But, I love the weight loss and keeping it off for 6 years. I love the feeling after getting a long run done that actually felt good. I love race day. I love the banter here.

It just seems the grind is getting worse and worse, but I can't just walk away from it because I'm terrified of turning into the guy I was before. 

Our weather has been good so far.  Almost always in the 20s to even low 30s in the morning. Not much snow either.  Best January in years.  Probably not cold enough to affect effort enough?
For me, even in drier conditions I think my effort is greater once temps drop to the 30's. I think one of the primary factors is just amount of clothing. I'll still usually keep clothing limited on a SoS run in most conditions in the 30's. But easy runs? I at least bundle up more than if the temps are higher. And it's all cold gear once in the 20's, regardless of workout. Any time bundling up is part of the package then I know more effort is needed for that run. At this point enough of them have accumulated to impact performance. And all that's before considering other factors.

Once the weather really does break for a few days and I can get a few actual easy runs in - that's usually when I really take notice of my current fitness. Without klimat data this is from memory, but I recall these workouts happening about a week after winter started breaking each of the last 4 years:

There's more to it than just that, but I think it's a major factor. It's all why I won't pay much attention to my actual paces until a tbd time late February/early March. Winter fatigue has settled in. And fighting that is the battle between now and whenever winter really does break. I'm not optimistic about how this period is going to go, but I'm going to figure out a way to give it hell anyway.

I hate running. I hate the grind. I hate having to work around 3 kids schedules every day of the week (and this winter has been the worst so far). I hate eating the same dang foods every day because I know the running is going to suck if I actually eat what I want to eat. I hate feeling tired all the damn time.

But, I love the weight loss and keeping it off for 6 years. I love the feeling after getting a long run done that actually felt good. I love race day. I love the banter here.

It just seems the grind is getting worse and worse, but I can't just walk away from it because I'm terrified of turning into the guy I was before. 
Then maybe punt the Boston dream until the kids are grown. If by then it isn't going to happen then c'est la'vie. In the meantime there isn't any harm in doing 5K's, half's, and everything in between - if you don't enjoy the grind then just reduce the amount of it and assess how that goes. If your schedule is only conducive to 25 mpw then that's what you have to work with. It's all about priorities. If piling on miles isn't enjoyable, if it isn't a priority - then just consider adjusting. Just because we're running marathons doesn't mean you have to!

Hell, I've given serious thought to pulling the plug on them if I make Boston 2021. I'm not going to think about it any more until then, but it is an option I'll consider. Because I foresee a similar weekend juggling act like you currently have and just have no interest in trying to fit this variable into the mix. 

Then maybe punt the Boston dream until the kids are grown. If by then it isn't going to happen then c'est la'vie. In the meantime there isn't any harm in doing 5K's, half's, and everything in between - if you don't enjoy the grind then just reduce the amount of it and assess how that goes. If your schedule is only conducive to 25 mpw then that's what you have to work with. It's all about priorities. If piling on miles isn't enjoyable, if it isn't a priority - then just consider adjusting. Just because we're running marathons doesn't mean you have to!

Hell, I've given serious thought to pulling the plug on them if I make Boston 2021. I'm not going to think about it any more until then, but it is an option I'll consider. Because I foresee a similar weekend juggling act like you currently have and just have no interest in trying to fit this variable into the mix. 
All of this.  Go chase your HM time in a couple months and then just run for the sake of running to stay healthy.

You just bought a treadmill so you can't quit now.

@ChiefD - I hope you can find your joy in this again sooner than later. There are a ton of awesome people in this thread but you are one of my favorites (don't tell the others!). From your #BMF music video to the draft order draw to the look of pure pleasure on your face to learn my HM result in Carmel when you still had another 13.1 to run, you bring a ton to this place. I know you've said so many times that you hate a lot of this stuff but I know there are times you get great joy from all of this. From your own successes as well as from your encouragement of others. 

Hang in there, GB. You've got this. Dig deep inside and remember what those good feels feel like. They are in there and I get they can be hard to find sometimes but they are there. Think back on them and hold on to the good! It will get you through this tough time, IMO. There is no way that someone that brings so much to this community cannot have some love for all this - even if it is currently buried under a dark cloud!

Yeah, this is the rub. 

That last marathon cycle and then the HM two weeks later gave me a taste of what is possible. I know the next step for me is way more volume. It's hitting what you were alluding to earlier: instead of maintenance between cycles I need to add more between cycles.

And when I think about this from a pure running standpoint, the time is now to take that leap. Especially after going through this current Hanson cycle. I can feel my body building to something good. 

But, all this other stuff is in play. My heart isn't really into it but I'm hoping this cycle will shake me out of this funk. Some days it does - some days it doesn't. The thing is, I am deathly afraid that if I don't take that leap now I'll never get it back. 

And by leap, I'm meaning that after the race in early April, keep running 40+ miles weekly until the next marathon cycle would start next December. My original target was Carmel next spring.

Look, I'm under no real illusion that I'm ready for a Boston Qualifier. But my plan was to use this race and an increased summer volume to see how far I can reduce my marathon time to see if it really is a possibility. 

Maybe it's just the kids schedule right now is so daunting that it really is crushing me mentally. Every weekend my schedule has been off for a month now. And like most of us, I'm a creature of habit. I like to do certain runs on certain days so I can plan diet and such accordingly all week.

I'm being a pooooosay right now and I know it. But these little kicks in the sack just suck right now.

Look, I'm under no real illusion that I'm ready for a Boston Qualifier. But my plan was to use this race and an increased summer volume to see how far I can reduce my marathon time to see if it really is a possibility. 
If you are able to etch out enough time to do 40+ mpw during the maintenance period then I think you'll surprise yourself how much of a leap you will take once you go through a training cycle with that sort of base established. Especially when considering that even though you will run more miles during a training cycle from a time perspective it may not be much different than it is right now. If you're running faster then you're covering more ground in the same amount of time. And regardless while a BQ may be a bridge too far on the back end of it I think you'll be close enough to see it - as you eluded to.

The means to get there though. If it's eating you up to get the work in then that isn't going to change - and this stress is going to continue to accumulate. Just like the fatigue accumulated with Hanson's - only this won't be of the good variety. Can you achieve the running goals without impacting your quality of life? I don't think you need to answer that question right now, but I think that's a central question to ask yourself later this spring. All of this is supposed to enhance your life; not hinder it.

Good stuff and needed by me. Nowhere near the authors muddy long run, I’ve been battling myself pretty much all month.
Between recovery from December, more strength stuff having me sore and the cold/dark, I’d been shorting routes or mill sessions. I got on a little streak going and pieced together enough lunch pail runs to have just started feeling better out there. 

Agreed.  As I've said a few times, I didn't think about marathons until the kids were grown.  I lived happily in a world of 5Ks to 10 mile races.  You can run when you're older. This is your only shot with the kids as kids.  

Agreed.  As I've said a few times, I didn't think about marathons until the kids were grown.  I lived happily in a world of 5Ks to 10 mile races.  You can run when you're older. This is your only shot with the kids as kids.  
Your words are constantly in between my ears. It's contributed to my being so locked into this training cycle. Because deep down I know that if it doesn't happen now I don't know when it will.

Believe it or not, I can relate to all of this.  For me, what's hard is that I can't just "do what's enjoyable," because given the way I eat, I know I need to run 50+ mpw to avoid instantly putting on 10+ pounds.  And I'm never going to eat so clean that this won't be the case.  I just know that about myself.

So yeah, while I definitely enjoy it sometimes, much of the time it's a lot more "have to" than "want to."

Users who are viewing this thread