Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

41 minutes ago, xulf said:

I am having some major issues with my Garmin 245 Music connecting to my headphones...I wanted to see if anyone else had something similar.

It connects fine and will play music fine when in my house.  When I set my GPS all is good.  But, when I start running, it cuts in and out every half a second.  If I hold my watch up by my headphones, no issues and it will play.  I am thinking that the arm movement of running is causing some sort of connectivity issue, but moving my arm while not in GPS tracking mode causes no issues.  So, it is only happening while the GPS is on and while my arm is moving (maybe only outside too?).

The headphones connect fine to my phone when I'm listening to Audible books on my slower runs.

Any similar experiences?

Nope. I've had mine lose a connection before and had 1 point where it was having some issue connecting - I disconnected and then reconnected and no issues after. Every once in a while when I'm running, I will have it skip/cut out for a second but just once or twice - nothing consistent like you are describing. 

38 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

I was reading about different massage types yesterday.  I think she kind of did the active release stuff but not solely.  I actually thought I had a hamstring strain that doesn't go away but now I'm not sure.  Maybe I have both a strain and knots.  I'll definitely go back in a few weeks for the 90 minute session and then I'll decide what to do from there.  Honestly, the pain isn't that bad but it sure would be nice to be pain free.

Potentially worthwhile reading

I had adhesions, fwiw. Both legs too. A major one in one leg and several smaller ones in the other. I spent years trying to fix them on my own, but to no avail. I was advised that trying to fix them on my own was a good thing though. It made problem solution substantially easier since I had already tried what would have been several of their recommendations.

• Thanks 1

Signed up for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon in October. Been trying to build base miles and drop weight on the treadmill until it’s warm enough for me to run outside. Have a 5 mile race scheduled next weekend  it’ll be my first outdoor run of the year  

Also got some NB 1080v10 that I’m a fan of. 

• Like 12

Also, what was my screen name when I was posting in here a bunch like 5 years ago? Oh Yes!?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, boom king said:

Also, what was my screen name when I was posting in here a bunch like 5 years ago? Oh Yes!?

Welcome back!  And you drop the Marathon hammer in your return?

Lots of fast guys in here these days. 

38 minutes ago, boom king said:

Yes, welcome back!  I marathoned this past October and also spent the winter months just building a strong, steady pace (like @gianmarco is doing nicely right now).

4 hours ago, gruecd said:

If @gianmarco and I were to fight MMA style, who would you guys bet on?

Depends if the arena is 40 degrees or 75 degrees. 

• Laughing 2

3 hours ago, xulf said:

I am having some major issues with my Garmin 245 Music connecting to my headphones...I wanted to see if anyone else had something similar.

It connects fine and will play music fine when in my house.  When I set my GPS all is good.  But, when I start running, it cuts in and out every half a second.  If I hold my watch up by my headphones, no issues and it will play.  I am thinking that the arm movement of running is causing some sort of connectivity issue, but moving my arm while not in GPS tracking mode causes no issues.  So, it is only happening while the GPS is on and while my arm is moving (maybe only outside too?).

The headphones connect fine to my phone when I'm listening to Audible books on my slower runs.

Any similar experiences?

When I was reading reviews for Garmin x45 models, one review mentioned this and wound up switching which wrist he used such that watch and headphones were closer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Iguana said:

@xulf - that's a pretty impressive run today. Nice consistency! You are flying.

Thanks!  I still have a lot of work to do to stretch the miles out.  Only if I can get my music to play... 

25 minutes ago, Brony said:

When I was reading reviews for Garmin x45 models, one review mentioned this and wound up switching which wrist he used such that watch and headphones were closer.

Thanks...that's where my Google searches have led me.  I will give it a try, but this never happened for the previous 4 months I've had the watch, just the last week or so.  I also don't know how I will feel about switching to my right wrist :sadbanana: 

2 hours ago, boom king said:

Signed up for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon in October. Been trying to build base miles and drop weight on the treadmill until it’s warm enough for me to run outside.

Good race.  Ran my first-ever sub-3 there back in 2011.  Just curious....how warm does it have to be for you to run outside?  It's been a super mild winter so far with high temps in the 30s most days...

Edited by gruecd

1 hour ago, gruecd said:

Good race.  Ran my first-ever sub-3 there back in 2011.  Just curious....how warm does it have to be for you to run outside?  It's been a super mild winter so far with high temps in the 30s most days...

Look at me, I’ve run multiple sub-3 marathons. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 4

3 hours ago, gruecd said:

Usually upper 30’s but I’ve been a huge vag since I’ve started up again

• Laughing 1

4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

@gianmarco it's just a sample of one, but it looks like my cadence really is 160 or so. 

That's insane for your speed.  Not surprising, albeit less impressive than the cadence, is how low your HR is for that pace. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

That's insane for your speed.  Not surprising, albeit less impressive than the cadence, is how low your HR is for that pace. 

I intentionally chose that route because I wanted to see what happened on the first 2.5 miles of climbing then thereafter. A lot of confirmation bias in the data. Us big people have to work harder when climbing. 

On 1/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, gianmarco said:

So, my current VO2 max is 48 per Garmin.  It's been that for the last couple months and been at 47-48 since the end of October.  The highest my VO2 max has been is 51.  That was back at the end of April while training for the relay this year (same time I ran that 1.5 mile x 2 race and did well) and last early October leading up to my HM.  I would agree that I was in pretty good shape at both of those times so it seems to correlate.  I pulled up some longer runs around each of those time periods.  Somewhat limited due to not many long runs by me at that time and a couple of them with faulty HR stuff when my watch wasn't working right. 

9/16/18  11.5 miles -- Overall 9:10 pace/HR 161,  Fastest mile 8:00 pace/HR 170
9/23/18  8.5 miles -- Overall 9:18 pace/HR 156,  Fastest mile 8:51 pace/HR 162
9/28/18 9.3 miles -- Overall 9:39 pace/HR 150, Fastest mile 9:09 pace/HR 162

3/31/19  8 miles -- Overall 9:04 pace/HR 154,  Fastest 8:30/HR 167
4/7/19  9 miles -- Overall 9:21 pace/HR 155,  Fastest 9:06 pace/HR 157

12/27/19  10 miles -- 9:16 pace/HR 151, Fastest 8:08 pace/HR 152
1/1/20  12 miles -- 9:33 pace/HR 149, Fastest 8:44 pace/HR 158
1/8/20 -- 10 miles -- 9:06 pace/HR 153, Fastest 8:24 pace/HR 159

1/29/20 -- 9.6 miles -- 8:56 pace/HR 149, Fastest 8:24 pace/HR 146 (artificially low due to stopping to poop but probably more like 153ish)

That was running a good bit on a trail with snow/mud as well.

@Juxtatarot

• Like 6
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I intentionally chose that route because I wanted to see what happened on the first 2.5 miles of climbing then thereafter. A lot of confirmation bias in the data. Us big people have to work harder when climbing. 

Yeah, your HR got into the 140's at times as you went downhill despite still running in the 6's. 

I wouldn't call it confirmation bias, though.  I think it's just plain confirmation that we big people have to work harder when climbing.  No bias.

Edited by gianmarco

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Yeah, your HR got into the 140's at times as you went downhill despite still running in the 6's. 

I wouldn't call it confirmation bias, though.  I think it's just plain confirmation that we big people have to work harder when climbing.

What does a 59 vo2 max mean?

Just now, MAC_32 said:

That you're a beastly animal.

• Laughing 3

7 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Baller

6 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

That you're a beastly animal.

:goodposting:

12 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

What are we defining as big people?

27 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

@gianmarco it's just a sample of one, but it looks like my cadence really is 160 or so. 

Nice to see your numbers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xulf said:

What are we defining as big people?

6'1 185-190

28 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Did you feel naked running without a phone in your hand?

12 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I think Garmin would say you have a fitness age of 20. 

• Laughing 1

Just now, gianmarco said:

Did you feel naked running without a phone in your hand?

It's been a process. First it was the wireless headphones. Then I went hands free during a downpour a couple weeks ago. And I've done it a couple times since. So today wasn't unusual. Other than now having the ability to look down at my wrist whenever I want. Need to be more disciplined, so that doesn't become a problem. 

1 minute ago, Juxtatarot said:

I think Garmin would say you have a fitness age of 20. 

Wow.

41 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Means it’s 2 points behind mine. Seems like you need more volume. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 9

1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I think that is unusually low given the pace you were running at. My watch has been misbehaving doubling my cadence,  it showed 347 for this morning’s runs. I am typically on the lower end of the cadence range for my easy running 167-170.

51 minutes ago, pbm107 said:

I think that is unusually low given the pace you were running at. My watch has been misbehaving doubling my cadence,  it showed 347 for this morning’s runs. I am typically on the lower end of the cadence range for my easy running 167-170.

His phone has always registered him in the same range. I agree it's really low for how fast he runs but I also think it's accurate. 

He must generate serious power with his strides.

10 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

His phone has always registered him in the same range. I agree it's really low for how fast he runs but I also think it's accurate. 

It’s the glute firing. It’s like a little rocket boost each step.

30 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

And it's almost certainly higher than it was 2-3 years ago. I get that your cadence is your cadence, but I may do some experimenting this summer.

347km (215mi) for January.  New monthly record.  Furthermore, today was day 11 of a running streak, which I'm pretty sure is my longest ever.  And will get longer, as I have plans for Sat and Sun (MOUNTAINS!!!).

For the first time in ages, the last two runs I was able to pick up the pace to close to 5:00/km (8:00/mi) and keep my HR in (or close to) MAF territory.  Temps have been cool here in DFW and not having to break stride for ice patches is getting me into a nice rhythm.  The lack of streetlights and resultant darkness is the only adjustment I'm having to make.  It's disconcerting.

Garmin bumped my VO2Max up to 56.  My highest Garmin VO2Max ever.  Calibrated against my true VO2Max test this summer, it's probably 54 in reality.

My right glute has been slowly improving over time, but now my left glute is getting worse.  And my groin has been starting to hurt.  Whenever I sneeze I feel it, not just the impact of running.  

But either way, I'm finally starting to feel a bit better and close to my early-October fitness (my prior peak).  I've been running a lot of junk miles lately, with very few long runs, but I think that has been good for my glutes.

Edited by Zasada
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, Zasada said:

The lack of streetlights and resultant darkness is the only adjustment I'm having to make.  It's disconcerting.

First, nice work! 

I've been running in the dark a lot and there are minimal street lights in the neighborhoods around my house. I wear a pretty basic headlamp with the "red light" on and it works well for me. Occasionally I will reach up and put it on the brighter white light if I need a little more visibility but usually the red one is sufficient - and it's more than comfortable enough. It's basically something like this one but without the green/blue options - mine has red, brighter red and white(more flashlight-ish). 95% of the time, I just have the brighter red light on and all is good. 

13 minutes ago, Zasada said:

My right glute has been slowly improving over time, but now my left glute is getting worse.  And my groin has been starting to hurt.  Whenever I sneeze I feel it, not just the impact of running.  

I have had a thing going on with me left glute - not nearly as much of a problem as you describe but definitely sore - biggest issue has to do with sleeping - I wake up and it's just tight and sore as all get out. Been working on trying to stretch it out but it just is a little angry. Actually with all the massage talk, and it giving me trouble, I did finally schedule a session for next week to see about having it worked on. 

Of course, I don't have a lot of wildlife to deal with either. Technically there's potential for the stray coyote to wander through, I've seen a few while driving but never running.

So much hardcore Jan mileage. Really impressive and you guys are inspiring maniacs. I battled my warm bed all month and needed a streak of 14 days to get in with 152 miles. Happy with 10 strength sessions, 1 PT, 1 massage that has me feeling some new good things. 
Speed block coming in Feb when I feel ready. March 28 race (11m) and May 16 HM scheduled. But the one I think about is the late April 5k I need to choose.  

• Like 4

My highest monthly high ever as of November, 2019 was 127 miles.

I topped that in December and I'm about to obliterate it this month. Currently at 179 and planning on getting into mid 180s.

And yet you guys in the mid 200s.... :tebow:

• Like 11

14 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Your strava profile picture is also a sample of one, but it does remind me of how I used to run a couple of years ago when my cadence was around 155.  To run faster, I would extend my stride and have my foot landing further in front of my body.  After gait analysis, I was coached to embrace the pose running form; short stride, high cadence, front leg more bent when striking ground.  My cadence moved from 155 to 172 (as of today).

FWIW, I did all of this and I haven't really run any faster and I'm certainly not less prone to injury.  If I was to find any kind of benefit, I do feel less tightness in the hammies behind the knee.  But, now that I'm converted, I do find it odd to run the old way which happens when I jump a puddle or come to a quick stop. 

• Like 2

No running today after 9 straight days, so I'll end January with 225 miles.  Did a 30-minute Peloton ride this morning, and I'm really liking the convenience factor for days when I just want to get an extra little 30- or 45-minute calorie burn.  Plus the instructors are hot.  :shrug:

Feeling like my fitness level is pretty good right now with 11+ weeks until Boston.  Did the 3 x 1.5-mile cruise intervals yesterday at 6:22-6:31 pace without any real trouble.  When I look in the mirror, my body is close to passing the "eye test," but I'm 5-7 lbs heavier than where I think I'd like to be.  Did I just put on (heavier) muscle because I've been more religious about getting to the gym 2-3x every week?  

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Brony said:

Your strava profile picture is also a sample of one, but it does remind me of how I used to run a couple of years ago when my cadence was around 155.  To run faster, I would extend my stride and have my foot landing further in front of my body.  After gait analysis, I was coached to embrace the pose running form; short stride, high cadence, front leg more bent when striking ground.  My cadence moved from 155 to 172 (as of today).

FWIW, I did all of this and I haven't really run any faster and I'm certainly not less prone to injury.  If I was to find any kind of benefit, I do feel less tightness in the hammies behind the knee.  But, now that I'm converted, I do find it odd to run the old way which happens when I jump a puddle or come to a quick stop. 

That's primarily my old technique - I go to it just at the end of races. It's what I referenced in the mile 12 section here. Doing it too frequently contributed to my problems staying healthy as I transitioned to more mileage a half decade or so ago. I am now curious what my actual stride looks like during different types of running though - recovery, long, pace, tempo, speed, etc.

Oh, and I bumped my weekend 18-miler from Saturday to Sunday because it's supposed to be 46° outside.  Shorts and a t-shirt in February?  In Wisconsin?  I'll take it!

Hell, I might be shirtless by the end of this one!

Edited by gruecd
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

My highest monthly high ever as of November, 2019 was 127 miles.

I topped that in December and I'm about to obliterate it this month. Currently at 179 and planning on getting into mid 180s.

And yet you guys in the mid 200s.... :tebow:

How is your body holding up?  A 50% increase in mileage is no joke, congrats keep it up.

246 miles for me in January.  That's tied for my least amount in a January since at least 2016.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1