What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (10 Viewers)

So, my 7 year old daughter kept asking why J-Lo and Shakira were showing so much skin...and that she thought it seemed inappropriate.  My buddy at work who has a 9 year old daughter, basically said the same thing to him during the show, and asked why they didn't have something that was more family/kid-friendly.  Heard something similar from another co-worker too with a young daughter.

I didn't really think it was over-the-top or inappropriate.  Not sure about the Karens, they probably just like to complain, but there must have been something about it that didn't feel right to kids at least. 
Not everything is meant for kids... :shrug:

Speaking of which, where do they get all those boisterous young people to rush the stage and go crazy over the half-time show?  They don't exactly appear to be a football crowd.  Where do they come from ("hey, let's buy a $2,000 ticket to the Super Bowl so we can see Shakira and J Lo for twelve minutes!")?

Disagree.  It’s the Super Bowl. It’s one of the iconic American moments each year. It should be family friendly.  I’m not one to get all boisterous (and I’m not in here), but with two kids 11 and 14, I would have preferred a bit less scantily clad women and gyrations at the camera.

So, my 7 year old daughter kept asking why J-Lo and Shakira were showing so much skin...and that she thought it seemed inappropriate.  My buddy at work who has a 9 year old daughter, basically said the same thing to him during the show, and asked why they didn't have something that was more family/kid-friendly.  Heard something similar from another co-worker too with a young daughter.

I didn't really think it was over-the-top or inappropriate.  Not sure about the Karens, they probably just like to complain, but there must have been something about it that didn't feel right to kids at least. 
My 8yo daughter loved how they incorporated stripping and stripper poles into the show. 

Because they can. And should. Celebrate the human form. 

Shakira is the second most beautiful woman in the world. Sorry guys, but my wife isn't going on tv. 

Disagree.  It’s the Super Bowl. It’s one of the iconic American moments each year. It should be family friendly.  I’m not one to get all boisterous (and I’m not in here), but with two kids 11 and 14, I would have preferred a bit less scantily clad women and gyrations at the camera.
So last year was okay?

SteelCurtain said:
2500 Mile Challenge (its day 34 of 366 days - 9.2% of the year complete - to be on pace would be at 232 miles completed as of today)

@MAC_32 - 267 miles

@pbm107 - 259 miles

@gruecd - 256 miles

@Zasada - 229 miles

@SteelCurtain - 222 miles

@gianmarco* - 201 miles
This is going to be tough.  I need to average just over 11km/day, including rest days.  Before too long, I might become an "honorary" member as well...

Understanding that I have a huge bias, I'm often surprised when I pass another runner and then don't see them on flybys after my run.  

This morning, there was a guy running pretty fast -- probably 7:00/mi -- who I saw.  Running that fast, and being out at 0530, would suggest to me a pretty serious runner.  And then nothing on flybys.

How the hell to people motivate themselves without being on Strava?!?!?!

Everyone should be like me!!!

This is going to be tough.  I need to average just over 11km/day, including rest days.  Before too long, I might become an "honorary" member as well...
You never seem to run < 6-7 miles at a time so sustain that, ensure one legit long run, and one somewhere in between then you'll have room for one rest day per week.

Understanding that I have a huge bias, I'm often surprised when I pass another runner and then don't see them on flybys after my run.  

This morning, there was a guy running pretty fast -- probably 7:00/mi -- who I saw.  Running that fast, and being out at 0530, would suggest to me a pretty serious runner.  And then nothing on flybys.

How the hell to people motivate themselves without being on Strava?!?!?!

Everyone should be like me!!!
I've had this exact same experience and the exact same thoughts!  :thumbup:

Man - the virus thing I had kicked my ###.  Excruciatingly painful throat for 4 days (negative for strep).  Didnt speak aloud for 3 days (made my wife happy).  Dr had me taking 1000mg Tylenol together with 800mg of ibuprofen.  That cocktail barely touched the pain and I was taking it every 4 hours.  Woke up this morning feeling on the mend.  Absolutely no desire to work out.  Overall just happy to not be in pain all day long.

SteelCurtain said:
2500 Mile Challenge (its day 34 of 366 days - 9.2% of the year complete - to be on pace would be at 232 miles completed as of today)

@MAC_32 - 267 miles

@pbm107 - 259 miles

@gruecd - 256 miles

@Zasada - 229 miles

@SteelCurtain - 222 miles

@gianmarco* - 201 miles

*- honorary (this will be the last time I include honorary members in the standings)
Strava tells me last year I did ~3800 miles.  I also didnt work out for like 2 months.  Whats the problem here??? /s

It's amazing how a mid-run gas station poop stop is all it takes sometimes to turn a bad run into a good run.  :shrug:
I had one like this on Saturday on my long run. I could feel the urge coming, but I was in no-man's land. Meaning, I was a good mile in any direction of my known turd-safe-places.

I was reaching critical mass. Had to walk a couple of times to stem the flow. Anyway, I'm running along and glance to my right and lo and behold, there is a port-a-potty right there in a parking lot. 

It was as if God himself placed that there for me. I open the door:

Toilet paper - check

Relatively clean - check

Got 'er done and the rest of the run was fabulous. 

That's the worst ...when it's so imminent ya gotta walk funny for a bit until the beast churns away from the danger zone, but knowing he'll be back within another block or two.  
It always feels like the male version of contractions.  As the contraction goes away, you have a couple minutes of relative peace until the next one.

I had this issue the other morning.  I got out there and felt trouble (actually Monday morning after Super Bowl garbage food).  I quickly turn and re-route to the soccer field which is a mile away.  I was ready to hit the porta-potty that's there until I turned the corner and realized it was gone!  They must have removed it for the winter.  I was then at defcon 9.5.  I was in trouble.  I texted my wife (who was sleeping asking if she could come pick me up....I was 3.5 miles from home.) 

I waddled to an elementary school about 1/4 mile away.  Its 6:25 a.m. and found the maintenance entrance and found some kind soul who realized I was not dangerous and let me into the school.  I was going to be shooting in a school, but there weren't any guns in this incident.  Once I emptied, I actually enjoyed the rest of the run.  And I texted my wife telling her I was all good. 

I had one like this on Saturday on my long run. I could feel the urge coming, but I was in no-man's land. Meaning, I was a good mile in any direction of my known turd-safe-places.

I was reaching critical mass. Had to walk a couple of times to stem the flow. Anyway, I'm running along and glance to my right and lo and behold, there is a port-a-potty right there in a parking lot. 

It was as if God himself placed that there for me. I open the door:

Toilet paper - check

Relatively clean - check

Got 'er done and the rest of the run was fabulous. 
And I was mentally complaining about palindrome chat. 

1.5 WU

4X1200 at 7:24 pace (600 meter run rest between segments)

1.5 CD

Wanted to put this here so I could refer back to it later. Treadmill run with no elevation. 

I needed a good speed workout, but my body has been tired the last week or so. (and the Super Bowl hangover is a real thing btw). Plus, I have been fighting a head cold for about ten days also.

So I wanted to keep this flat, and I also slowed down a tick. This workout is supposed to be somewhere between 7:00 pace and 7:18. So I cheated a bit on this workout. And it felt strong throughout.

@gianmarco alluded to the HR in strava, so I wanted to expand on that here so I can remember it later. During my speed work the HR was holding steady between 166 and 170. Which is pretty outstanding actually. But again, treadmill flat. 

During my warm up and cool down periods, I ran those at a 10:00 pace. HR was 137 - 145. Again, very good.

So this workout makes me feel good mentally, but its a tempered good because of the flat surface. But I’ll take it.

- super bowl champs -

I only lift so I can take my shirt off at the beach/pool and not look like all the Skeletors in here ;)
:whistle:

I got quite a few stares today at the gym.

Went in, got a locker, locked it up, hit the pool. Had a decent swim. Got out, showered, wrapped a towel around my waist to go get dressed. 

Saw a note on my locker "come see us at the desk" 😕 lock was cut off. Stuff gone. Now, being in a towel with only my speedo, I have a choice to make. I wish I could say I went out in the gym buck naked, but I put my suit back on, walked out, even with the suit on I had enough people looking at me. I'm not sure if it was more "WTF is this guy doing?" But I'll say it was ladies checking me out. 

Turns out some dude had left his keys hidden in the bottom shelf of the locker, I didn't see them. They had all my stuff, so I took it back, got dressed. It wasn't until I was almost fully dressed when I realize my wedding ring is missing. 🥺🤯 (I take it off to swim). Luckily it was still in the office, but that would have been bad. 

They offered me a free replacement lock or a free month. I took the month. 

Now, this gym has free lockers which actually lock out in the main lobby. No idea why this guy thought it was smart to hide keys in an empty locker instead of actually securing the keys in the provided locker. But maybe he won't do that again..

Had my first real run since the marathon. Felt really good. Did a lot of reflecting on the race out there this morning. Around mile 9, Meatloaf came on and I started flying while singing aloud. Who else added to the playlist? Don’t be shy, that song is absolute fire. 

Had my first real run since the marathon. Felt really good. Did a lot of reflecting on the race out there this morning. Around mile 9, Meatloaf came on and I started flying while singing aloud. Who else added to the playlist? Don’t be shy, that song is absolute fire. 
Good reflecting, I hope.

And I know @ChiefD has. He's sent me various texts with pictures on playlists and song lyrics helping to keep it in my head over the last several days.

gruecd said:
I only lift so I can take my shirt off at the beach/pool and not look like all the Skeletors in here ;)
That's what started the habit. It correlating with good health and complimenting running goals has kept it in the rotation. Given what my body is telling me right now I wish it were on the agenda for today, but with an ice storm on the way it's time for a 2-a-day running and that will wait for tomorrow. 

I feel absolutely awful right now. Sucks after a good week. 

I didn't get out on Monday like I hoped. It was fine as I needed to rest from Sunday work and the week. Ate some food from Sam's that day as we went shopping and probably ingested a week's worth of sodium. Returned there yesterday for an eye appointment and ended up eating there again and then went out to dinner last night and ate more than I should have and drank more wine than I should have.

So here I am this morning with 2 days of no running, probably up 5 pounds, my resting HR was incredibly elevated this morning, I feel like complete ###, and we have a bad winter storm moving in this morning until tomorrow night. On top of that, my wife's brother flew in for work and is now delayed a day so will come visit tonight which likely means dinner somewhere. 

And to think, this used to be a normal thing 2.5 years ago. 

I can't wait to get out now and run. I may not eat all day today. Oooof.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed this on Strava and thought "Awesome, @JShare87 is out killing it already."  Great pace and distance!  

Didn't realize it was powered by Meatloaf.  Not my style, but I'll say again, I'm not throwing any stones in my house built by the Pet Shop Boys (designed by Eddie Money).

probably up 5 pounds
Weighed myself on Monday.  173.  Heaviest I've been in 18 months, at least.  :porked:  🐷

Every time I move cities, I put on weight like crazy.  Probably stress.  And I also fell off my no-sugar wagon.  Back on it as of Monday, and the last two nights have been Panda Express.  Brown Rice and three servings of Firecracker Shrimp.  <800cal, all-in.

Users who are viewing this thread