Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ned

Ran a 10k - Official Thread

36 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

This.  I don't have near the mid-run bowel issues that a lot of you seem to have, but I've definitely finished a run with one sock.

I hope this comment doesn't lead to future him omitting this info from his workout subtitles but I wonder if his usual cracker barrell, dorito, and whole rotisserie chicken methods of fueling may explain the constant mid-run pit stops.

• Like 3

The treadmills at my gym make you set a time before you begin and it only allows for runs up to an hour. Makes sense though, there’s usually a line around the block waiting to get one. 

1 hour ago, Zasada said:

Asking for a friend.

Pretend you're out on a run and have a poop emergency.  It's dark, and you're running through a park, on a reasonably secluded path by a lake.  No chance you can hold it until you get home, or to the nearest bathroom.  No real bushes anywhere nearby, but also no worries of anyone seeing you.  There is a big trash bin/receptacle on the path.  Do you:

1. #### yourself
  2. #### in the lake
  3. Get as far off the path as you can and #### on the grass
  4. #### in the trash can
  5. Other?  (Please expand)

#4a?  Open the lid of the trash can, pull out the black trash bag, and squat over that before returning it to the trash can.  But being dark, and therefore early, I suppose the 'friend' wouldn't be strategizing that much.  So yes, #2 in #2.

7 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

I hope this comment doesn't lead to future him omitting this info from his workout subtitles but I wonder if his usual cracker barrell, dorito, and whole rotisserie chicken methods of fueling may explain the constant mid-run pit stops.

The pits stops come and go.  I can go weeks without one, and then 2-3 days in a row.

Regarding food, yesterday, I behaved:  Brown rice and kidney beans, with tortillas.  Only a handful of Doritos.  

And the irony is that the chicken & turkey are usually great at preventing the mid-run poop, but then sit in my gut and make running uncomfortable.  

I think part of the issue lately is that in DFW, I don't have any chores to do before my run.  Get up, ####, and out I go.  In YYC, I had ~20 minutes of pet care to take care of, which I think allowed for more processing before the run.

But yeah, I ordered the rice cooker to try to eat better.  One step at a time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zasada said:

The pits stops come and go.  I can go weeks without one, and then 2-3 days in a row.

Regarding food, yesterday, I behaved:  Brown rice and kidney beans, with tortillas.  Only a handful of Doritos.  

And the irony is that the chicken & turkey are usually great at preventing the mid-run poop, but then sit in my gut and make running uncomfortable.  

I think part of the issue lately is that in DFW, I don't have any chores to do before my run.  Get up, ####, and out I go.  In YYC, I had ~20 minutes of pet care to take care of, which I think allowed for more processing before the run.

But yeah, I ordered the rice cooker to try to eat better.  One step at a time.

It'll be a last minute decision whether I run tonight or not, but this conversation is reminding me of a run a few years ago in which I didn't finish with boxers and there were a couple of close calls later that would have resulted in finishing that run without socks either. Avocado and egg salad were consumed a few hours prior to that failed venture. And what did I have for breakfast today? Well that would be avocado and egg salad of course.

A hypocrite, I am.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

#4a?  Open the lid of the trash can, pull out the black trash bag, and squat over that before returning it to the trash can.  But being dark, and therefore early, I suppose the 'friend' wouldn't be strategizing that much.  So yes, #2 in #2.

Oh, that's a good one.  There was no lid on the "can" (per my friend, of course).  It was a stone fixed-enplacement receptacle with a black trash bag lining it.

My friend told me that he considered #3, but felt that since the area was frequented by kids/dogs during the day, it would suck if a kid/dog found the "deposit" and then parents had to deal with the subsequent mess.  Also, the trash receptacles are probably for dog poop anyway, so he thought that at least the can probably had #### in it to begin with, and this would just be more of the same.

So my friend sat on the edge of the stone "can", feet dangling, and relieved the emergency.  Not 15 seconds into it, a cyclist's lamp appears just cresting the hill of the trail, about 50' away!  WHAT ARE THE ODDS?  It's 5:30 in the morning!? My friend jumped off the can, quickly pulled-up his shorts, and started running as though there was nothing to see.  Casually said "good morning" to the cyclist as he passed a few seconds later, hoping that the deed went unseen.  But likely not.  Especially considering that my friend's butt is so white that it probably reflected the headlamp back to the cyclist and everyone living in the north DFW area.  The streetlights thought day had broken and automatically switched off.

Edited by Zasada
  • Laughing 6

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:20 AM, Harris said:

So every aid station will have full-on refueling of gels and food, etc? I'll take a look at the race guide but good to hear it from someone who's done them

Every aid station in the US does for sure.  I'm not sure about Europe - occasionally they have funky rules about what's supplied at each aid station.  I'd check the Athlete Guide on the IM website for the 2019 race.  95% odds the aid station setup will be the same.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:00 AM, Harris said:

This is actually a good way to think about it that I haven't considered.... bike race with swim warm up and run cool down. Makes sense as the bike is the longest bit. I'm taking on a Matt Fitzgerald plan that does include plenty of bricks so hopefully that will give me enough experience of running on tired legs. 

And nutrition yes, I have a 70.3 in mid-May where I'll try to dial-in most of my nutrition planning. The last and only other 70.3 I've done I bonked hard on the run as I barely ate anything during the bike. I also think I need to just keep putting in the swimming time in the pool so that the swim does actually feel like a warm-up vs. coming out of the water absolutely exhausted. 

Do you do most of your bike training on the tri-bike or road bike or a good mix of both?

Tri-bike always. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JShare87 said:

Same. Can’t believe I didn’t get an invite. It’s only a @SFBayDuck, training run away from my location.

I didn't know you lived in WI?

2 hours ago, Zasada said:

Asking for a friend.

Pretend you're out on a run and have a poop emergency.  It's dark, and you're running through a park, on a reasonably secluded path by a lake.  No chance you can hold it until you get home, or to the nearest bathroom.  No real bushes anywhere nearby, but also no worries of anyone seeing you.  There is a big trash bin/receptacle on the path.  Do you:

1. #### yourself
  2. #### in the lake
  3. Get as far off the path as you can and #### on the grass
  4. #### in the trash can
  5. Other?  (Please expand)

Unfortunately the best opinion I could share with my "friend" is @ChiefD's, but he's too busy knocking-out 16K runs to be bothered here right now.

I went through a weird stretch in my college years where i had to pull over and go off-trail to do #3 for #2 in the Marin headlands a few times. 

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

I went through a weird stretch in my college years where i had to pull over and go off-trail to do #3 for #2 in the Marin headlands a few times. 

I didn’t either. Let me check my location again.

• Laughing 1

25 minutes ago, ThreeThousand said:
On 2/25/2020 at 8:00 AM, Harris said:

This is actually a good way to think about it that I haven't considered.... bike race with swim warm up and run cool down. Makes sense as the bike is the longest bit. I'm taking on a Matt Fitzgerald plan that does include plenty of bricks so hopefully that will give me enough experience of running on tired legs. 

And nutrition yes, I have a 70.3 in mid-May where I'll try to dial-in most of my nutrition planning. The last and only other 70.3 I've done I bonked hard on the run as I barely ate anything during the bike. I also think I need to just keep putting in the swimming time in the pool so that the swim does actually feel like a warm-up vs. coming out of the water absolutely exhausted. 

Do you do most of your bike training on the tri-bike or road bike or a good mix of both?

Tri-bike always. 

Definitely...with practice in the bars. And on the bike.

This is tri 101 stuff that I'm sure you've already covered, but...

Swim with a two best kick, not flutter. 

Run with a higher cadence, shorter strides- especially the first few miles after the bike to loosen the legs up. That shuffle turned into my regular run stride.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I wonder if @SFBayDuck has paused under a tree in that area, not knowing that you're responsible for fertilizing the acorn whence it came.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JShare87 said:

I didn’t either. Let me check my location again.

Is it a farther duck training run away from Atlanta? Canada?

• Like 1

Just now, Zasada said:

I wonder if @SFBayDuck has paused under a tree in that area, not knowing that you're responsible for fertilizing the acorn whence it came.

I really hope so.

• Like 1

I need a PT session for my PT session.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Is it a farther duck training run away from Atlanta? Canada?

I live in Florida.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JShare87 said:

I live in Florida.

I suppose the Keys work too.

• Like 1

Not sure if I’ve posted in here about this before, but this dude ran fifty 100 mile races last year

I met him at Canyons 100K in 2018, we camped in our cars next to each other and I was jealous of the Sprinter van he was living out of.  Didn’t see him again until San Diego 100M last June, when he was about half way through his adventure. I’ve seen his logistics spreadsheet, which is one of the most amazing parts of the whole deal - just the planning it takes to race almost every weekend somewhere in the US (and once in the U.K.). Pretty amazing accomplishment. 

• Like 3

For me.....#3 would be my choice.  I have pooped in the woods during a run.

I don't think Boston will get cancelled as I think they will push that this is essentially a different kind of flu.  And if it doesn't explode in the US, I doubt they cancel the Boston Marathon.

15 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Been there, done that - and chose option #3.

15 hours ago, gruecd said:

Ugh, that's rough. I don't like any of these options without having TP.  

Probably #3 I guess.  And finish the run with one sock.

Yep

Thankfully there's plenty of construction near most of my routes, with portapotties. Yesterday I stopped mid run right off a major road, wind was kicking in, the breeze through the portapotty was quite chilly 🥶

Edited by -OZ-

1 hour ago, SteelCurtain said:

I didn’t get picked for NYC marathon.  I heard it was a 2.6% acceptance rate.  

Yup, got the rejection email too.

• Sad 2

Same on NYC.  Still a marathon free agent this season. Indy sadly is no good weekend for me and joining Gian & Share is out. 

• Sad 5

9 minutes ago, bushdocda said:

Same on NYC.  Still a marathon free agent this season. Indy sadly is no good weekend for me and joining Gian & Share is out. 

Unacceptable.

• Like 1

I keep a spreadsheet log of my mileage, sourced from the monthly Strava data.

Just updated it after a while, and noticed that if I add up all the months in Strava for 2019, I get a different/lower total than by using the "2019" dropdown on the right side of my Strava home page.  According to the sum of the months, I didn't actually get to 200,000ft of elevation in 2019, whereas the dropdown total says I did.  

Hmph.

Also accepted into the unaccepted NYC camp. 

Will have to figure out how to build off and continue the work I've done for the upcoming NYC half.

ETA...turns out my new office has put together a soccer team that includes me...starts right after the half. Not quite the same, but something.

Edited by El Floppo

33 minutes ago, Zasada said:

I keep a spreadsheet log of my mileage, sourced from the monthly Strava data.

Just updated it after a while, and noticed that if I add up all the months in Strava for 2019, I get a different/lower total than by using the "2019" dropdown on the right side of my Strava home page.  According to the sum of the months, I didn't actually get to 200,000ft of elevation in 2019, whereas the dropdown total says I did.  

Hmph.

Interesting... just added up the monthly totals at the top of your page from strava and that is 198970. I've noticed differences in mine before but usually the "yearly" total on the right is the lower total. I've found that to be because the weekly/monthly stuff at the top will include all activity while the yearly info will be broken down by type of activity. That's kind of weird. 

39 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Interesting... just added up the monthly totals at the top of your page from strava and that is 198970. I've noticed differences in mine before but usually the "yearly" total on the right is the lower total. I've found that to be because the weekly/monthly stuff at the top will include all activity while the yearly info will be broken down by type of activity. That's kind of weird. 

For 2020 YTD, they match.  :shrug:

• Thinking 1

My friend told me he was eyeing the trash bin longingly again this morning.  But he made it home without having to make a pit stop.  A heroic sphinctoral effort.

I guess brown rice and kidney beans are off the menu.  Three days in a row of issues, despite trying to "eat healthy".

• Laughing 1

11 minutes ago, Zasada said:

My friend told me he was eyeing the trash bin longingly again this morning.  But he made it home without having to make a pit stop.  A heroic sphinctoral effort.

I guess brown rice and kidney beans are off the menu.  Three days in a row of issues, despite trying to "eat healthy".

You need new friends.

• Laughing 5

30 minutes ago, Zasada said:

Maybe your friend needs to have a seat for a few minutes before going out to run - try to force the issue a bit before being away from the house.

1 hour ago, Zasada said:

Tell your "friend" to try something easier to digest.  I'll typically do a PB&J sandwich or a bowl of instant oatmeal.....or if I'm in a hurry, I'll just grab a pack of Pop Tarts (brown sugar cinnamon, of course).

1 hour ago, Zasada said:

Beans are great running fuel, but timing is important as it can upset the GI.

56 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Maybe your friend needs to have a seat for a few minutes before going out to run - try to force the issue a bit before being away from the house.

Always my priority for my morning runs.  If I don't "go," I don't go.  Or if I do head out, it's with some targeted pit-stop options that are near the route over the first 3-4 miles.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Always my priority for my morning runs.  If I don't "go," I don't go.  Or if I do head out, it's with some targeted pit-stop options that are near the route over the first 3-4 miles.

This is another reason why I've never really taken to morning running. It's unusual if I can take care of the morning plumbing before 9-something am and I actively avoid running before that box has been checked.

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 1

Nobody else has a pre workout Ensure or other drink? (For bigger workouts).

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Nobody else has a pre workout Ensure or other drink? (For bigger workouts).

Drink? No, I haven't found one that cooperates with my stomach. My exact ingredients depend on when I'm actually running, but aside from the mandatory dum-dum the most common foods I have pre workout are pretzels, apples, nuts, and cliff bars. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

Drink? No, I haven't found one that cooperates with my stomach. My exact ingredients depend on when I'm actually running, but aside from the mandatory dum-dum the most common foods I have pre workout are pretzels, apples, nuts, and cliff bars. 

You know what...the ensure was my pre-bike/brick meal. Don't think I actually had them pre-run. Usually nothing or similar to your menu. 

32 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

This is another reason why I've never really taken to morning running. It's unusual if I can take care of the morning plumbing before 9-something am and I actively avoid running before that box has been checked.

You can train yourself, IMO. It's pretty much the first thing I do everyday when I get to work. And then my body usually cooperates in the morning before heading out for a run. 

On a different note... at PT today, he did some dry needling on my hip. Yowzers! That's some kind of Voodoo! He told me that this afternoon there would likely be some tightness, which is true about now. But when he hit a couple different spots, there was a less than pleasant feeling and then some almost instantaneous relief. That was something else, let me tell you!

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, gruecd said:

Tell your "friend" to try something easier to digest.  I'll typically do a PB&J sandwich or a bowl of instant oatmeal.....or if I'm in a hurry, I'll just grab a pack of Pop Tarts (brown sugar cinnamon, of course).

I don't actually eat before my run.  It's the dinner from the night before, which may or may not be friendly to my running in the morning.  

I almost always take care of business before my run, it's just a matter if there's a sequel during the run.  All the jostling mixes things up, and sometimes that results in some urgency, and sometimes not.  Chicken/turkey never cause issues for me in the last half of the digestive process, but then sit like a rock in the first half and cause problems as such.

I've always had gut issues (none as severe as @ChiefD, but enough that it impacts daily life), but they've been largely managed until I started running. 

1 hour ago, tri-man 47 said:

I just hate stopping on my run, but I think I need to be less stupid and more pragmatic.  This morning I could have very easily stopped halfway through at the community centre, but decided to take the risk.

Not going is not an option, as if I don't run in the morning, it's an almost-certainty that I'm not running that day at all.  I can count the number of afternoon/evening runs I've done in the last two years on one hand.

8 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

On a different note... at PT today, he did some dry needling on my hip. Yowzers! That's some kind of Voodoo! He told me that this afternoon there would likely be some tightness, which is true about now. But when he hit a couple different spots, there was a less than pleasant feeling and then some almost instantaneous relief. That was something else, let me tell you!

Yep, it is funky to go through that.  On my good leg, it was a twitchy sensation and little to no pain.  On my bad leg where he injected my scar tissue from surgery... pain.  Lots and Lots and Lots of pain. 

This is an exhausting thread for those who don't do marathons and have never had a mid-run #2 issue.  I feel blessed. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Brony said:

Yep, it is funky to go through that.  On my good leg, it was a twitchy sensation and little to no pain.  On my bad leg where he injected my scar tissue from surgery... pain.  Lots and Lots and Lots of pain. 

He put 3 or 4 of them in - all but 1 of them were basically the same - a kind of painful sensation right at the insertion point and then kind of a release of tension or something. The one that was different had the pain and the release/relief but in between the 2 was an accompanied feeling that was almost like an electric shock that shot up my hip and down my leg. Felt it all the way down to my toes. Basically traveled along the nerves or something. That was freaky as all get out!

On 2/25/2020 at 12:41 PM, The Iguana said:

Anyone here have any talent at graphic design? If anyone here has the ability/desire, I want to create a logo/design/pattern to "represent" the relay team at our race in May. I have an idea but I need your help!

Bump. Surely someone in here has some creative abilities, no?

11 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

My background is in finance and statistics.  I'll go ahead and let you make the assumption on my creative abilities. 

19 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

I dabble, but don’t really do much fancier than this on CustomInk. The logo for my old LLC and whatever the subject is. Mrs. O has a race pit crew shirt. :lol:

ETA: Here’s another. Get the idea?

Edited by Osaurus

Parker Stinson (out with injury) said he predicts ~2:12 winning time on a slow course this Saturday.