What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

Billy Yang and Mario Fraioli have a Weekly Rundown podcast that is usually Patreon-only for Billy's supporters, but they'll release one publicly every once in awhile.  Billy just put out their Olympic Trials preview podcast which is a good listen on both the men's and women's races during your next run or on your way to ATL for the race ( @gruecd and @gianmarco -  at the end they also mention a couple of events they'll be at in ATL).  

Mario publishes a weekly Morning Shakeout newsletter covering the sport, if you're a fan and not subscribed you should be, and he also has a podcast (which I don't listen to very often as it's not particularly ultra-focused even though he does coach some ultra runners as well).  He also has eight athletes competing in the trials this weekend, so he's got a pretty good finger on the pulse of the race.

@Zasada if you're not watching all of Billy's videos, you're missing out on some great ultra running motivation and story telling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly all Nike runners will be given a pair of the new Alphaflys that drop on the 29th before the race. Look for the black and green shoes, @gianmarco and @gruecd! If someone leaves a size 12 laying around, feel free to hook your boy up. 

Well I was just notified that my 40 miler is now a 26.2 mile.  Weather forecast now calls for snow the entire way.  27 degree start dropping to 16 degrees at the turnaround.  Winds now down to 20-25 mph.  Would love to beat my 6h18m from last year, but the descent might be a little to treacherous to push the pace.  Looks like a fun run is in the cards.

My friend had turkey sandwiches last night for dinner, and an uneventful run this morning. 

Just because I know you guys were hammering the F5 key waiting for the update.  

You can now go about your normal day.

Last night in the pool was fun.

Swam a fairly routine workout- 300 warmup, 700 pull, 5x 25 breast / 75 free, 500 with fins, another 5x 25 breast / 75 free, then figured I'd see what my 100 time is right now. Hit at 1:27 which I'm okay with for now.  100 recovery, tried to do another 100 for time. Pushed off the wall - 😵 Charlie horse! Stopped, kinda walked back to the wall, stretched, felt okay. Try again - 😲 another Charlie. Hobbled back to the wall, said screw this, pulled out of the pool - another Charlie! Sat down, stretched, tried to get up, failed. Damn legs wouldn't support my weight to stand up. Eventually I pulled myself up on the bench, hobbled to the jacuzzi. Got better. 

I've never cramped like that even during a long race. 

This has happened a few times lately, but only when I ran or rode the trainer earlier that morning.  That made sense to me as my legs were already tired, but yesterday didn't make any sense. 

@Juxtatarot, you're cranking some serious miles YTD.  On pace for 3,073mi or 4,916km!  You targeting a 3,000mi goal?
This reminded me to look at the 2,500 mile competition and as I suspected I have been surpassed by @pbm107 and @gruecd, never to be heard from again. But if you had told me I'd be this far ahead of @SteelCurtain I'd have called you a liar. He made other priorities this month, so perhaps I can hold him off at least through spring. Defeat is inevitable though.

What race are you targeting this spring?
I'm not sure yet.  I think I'm running the usual 5K with my mom for St. Patrick's Day but that hasn't been finalized.  I don't think I'm in 5K racing shape though so I don't have high expectations. 

There is a 10K in early April that I've run before.  10K is my weakest PR.  I'll run some more tempos in March, check the weather, and decide from there if I think I have a shot.  

Maybe I'll find a late spring half too.  

I'm more focused on the fall than the spring.  I'll be in a new age group in the fall too.

Swam a fairly routine workout- 300 warmup, 700 pull, 5x 25 breast / 75 free, 500 with fins, another 5x 25 breast / 75 free, then figured I'd see what my 100 time is right now. Hit at 1:27 which I'm okay with for now.  100 recovery, tried to do another 100 for time. Pushed off the wall - 😵 Charlie horse! Stopped, kinda walked back to the wall, stretched, felt okay. Try again - 😲 another Charlie. Hobbled back to the wall, said screw this, pulled out of the pool - another Charlie! Sat down, stretched, tried to get up, failed. Damn legs wouldn't support my weight to stand up. Eventually I pulled myself up on the bench, hobbled to the jacuzzi. Got better. 

This has happened a few times lately, but only when I ran or rode the trainer earlier that morning.  That made sense to me as my legs were already tired, but yesterday didn't make any sense. 
Sucks.

You cramped or you got a knock on your leg (what I always understood Charlie horses to be)? Sounds like a low electrolyte/musce exhaustion cramp?

And vnever during a race?

I'm not sure yet.  I think I'm running the usual 5K with my mom for St. Patrick's Day but that hasn't been finalized.  I don't think I'm in 5K racing shape though so I don't have high expectations. 

There is a 10K in early April that I've run before.  10K is my weakest PR.  I'll run some more tempos in March, check the weather, and decide from there if I think I have a shot.  

I'm more focused on the fall than the spring.  I'll be in a new age group in the fall too.
Don't forget that we need to find a 5K between April and the fall when we don't compete for the same AG.   I think I'm doing one with my brother late April, so let's think about May or June and monger some medal

Sucks.

You cramped or you got a knock on your leg (what I always understood Charlie horses to be)? Sounds like a low electrolyte/musce exhaustion cramp?

And vnever during a race?
I'm not real sure what you mean by knock on the leg, it's possible we mean the same. Painful muscle contraction which lasted at least a few seconds. 

I've gotten them during the swim portion of 70.3s (surprisingly not during the one full) but they go away and weren't as bad. I think the worst I had during a race was as I was getting out of the water in Raleigh, hobbled for a few seconds and off I went. Even that one wasn't debilitating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless 30 minutes of shoveling counts, yesterday was my first actual rest day since Thanksgiving. And I don't feel rested at all. It's an odd life we runner's live.

I'm not real sure what you mean by knock on the leg, it's possible we mean the same. Painful muscle contraction which lasted at least a few seconds. 

I've gotten them during the swim portion of 70.3s (surprisingly not during the one full) but they go away and weren't as bad. I think the worst I had during a race was as I was getting out of the water in Raleigh, hobbled for a few seconds and off I went. Even that one wasn't debilitating.
Just a question of semantics... I always thought of Charlie horses as getting hit or knocked/bruised on the muscle. Cramps are the contractions- water/electrolyte deficiency and/or exhaustion with the muscle locking up painfully.

As a soccer guy, I'd get both. Running/Tris, only the cramps.

Can you identify something in your diet that changed when this happens? 

Isn't someone else running with your Mom too?

Btw, any more massages?

More potassium (bananas).

That's a kick-a## workout, IMO, especially with speed at the end (probably not a wise idea).  Not surprised the legs were angry.

That's a kick-a## workout, IMO, especially with speed at the end (probably not a wise idea).  Not surprised the legs were angry.
Thanks, and you may be right. Better to get the speed early, but I was feeling good up to that point. 

No real change in diet, at least none that would reasonably lead to cramps / Charley horses. More fiber, going away from a lower carb diet. Also giving up alcohol for Lent. Maybe that's it...🤔

To be clear, I'm 100% not racing.  Plan is to do a few miles before, a few miles after, and run the race as a training run at something approaching goal marathon pace (whatever that is) for Boston...
I didn't expect you'd be 'racing' it ...but not surprised you couldn't resist entering a race.   :D   If you do MP, maybe drop the pace (MP-10?) for the last 5K.

@gianmarco, do well in the 5K!  No need to kill it, but use it to gauge your pacing.  Have a fun weekend, guys!

Strangely, I seem to have cramping during my afternoon/evening swim sessions as well.  When I swim in the mornings I've never had an issue, but in the afternoons I'll relatively routinely cramp.  I don't know if it's electrolyte imbalance, my diet, or what but the above sounds exactly like me.

Users who are viewing this thread