What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Just realized a girl that lives around here and runs many of the races is running this. Her name is Chelsea Hollingsworth, pretty cool. 
Marin runner YiOu Wang is there as well, another bad ### ultra runner with the speed to qualify for this thing.  

Less than 24 hours before the start they have just cancelled the Semi de Paris Half marathon for tomorrow. 45k runners were set to run. I wasn't running but terrible organization to cancel this late before the start. 

Curious to see if races in th US start to become affected by CV-19. 😷

Less than 24 hours before the start they have just cancelled the Semi de Paris Half marathon for tomorrow. 45k runners were set to run. I wasn't running but terrible organization to cancel this late before the start. 

Curious to see if races in th US start to become affected by CV-19. 😷
That’s stupid.  All the runners have traveled in, so the germs came with them.

Rupp was incredible. Reeled in Shrader’s heat check then held back and then dropped everyone.  If he’s clean, I feel bad for the scrutiny he faces/will face even more of. 
Women’s race was great.

Now NBC coverage shifts to the Sunday morning 5k...

Can't wait for @ChiefD's vacation to end so I can hear about yesterday's run.  Strava description was intriguing.  
So, I know from experience to NEVER eat BBQ when I am in training. It’s just too heavy in my stomach.

One of our vendors showed up Thursday with BBQ brisket sandwiches. Couldn’t exactly say no to that. But I knew going in that the run was going to be bad. And it was.

My heart rate skyrocketed to 180 during my warm up - yikes!

And it was all downhill from there. I had this beef log in my stomach that just ruined this run. I aborted the speed work after 2 miles or so. It wasn’t gonna happen. 

I’ve also been straddling the edge of some sinus issues the last ten days or so. I just decided to pull the plug and run slow the rest of the way. Felt awful the rest of the night.

1st place AG finish. 16th overall. Included a number of log hurdles. Pictures on strava. Fun times. 
Follow up on one really important part... I was able to run it fairly hard while being smart with the footing and terrain and all was great with the hammy and the hip. Back to feeling as good as I'm probably going to, imo. Hopefully I can get a couple solid weeks in then go have some fun in the 23K trail run. 

Despite the short month, I'm 2km away from a monthly distance record.  Tempted to get back out there... but I think I'm going to BAP and remain glued to the couch.

I love local races. 

Even better when the local elites take the day off or do something else. Almost got beat by a high school freshman, that kid is gonna be good. 

For once when my kids ask "did you win?" I can actually say yes.:) 

More importantly, nailed the time goal and ran a solid pace. Windy as heck the first 6 miles, and thankfully the trail was almost perfect. Just a great day overall. 
Congrats man. 

Some research going on but I may have set a course record today. 

I don't know if they mentioned it on the coverage, but the wind out there was absolutely brutal. 

Pretty cool experience. We posted up at the start, at the end, and got to see 3 passes by men and women in the middle of course. 
Honestly, I'd like a fan report (similar to a race report) on this experience.  I really wish I could have gone but wanted to know the vibe.  A big party?  Serious runners everywhere or a bunch of casual fans who aren't runners too?  Could you tell who was winning/surging/fading? 

Fan favorites?  Des?  Walmsley?  anyone else? 

Whatever else you guys can share.  Really jealous of you guys. 

Good luck in your races tomorrow.

Follow up on one really important part... I was able to run it fairly hard while being smart with the footing and terrain and all was great with the hammy and the hip. Back to feeling as good as I'm probably going to, imo. Hopefully I can get a couple solid weeks in then go have some fun in the 23K trail run. 
I like where this is heading.....

Honestly, I'd like a fan report (similar to a race report) on this experience.  I really wish I could have gone but wanted to know the vibe.  A big party?  Serious runners everywhere or a bunch of casual fans who aren't runners too?  Could you tell who was winning/surging/fading? 

Fan favorites?  Des?  Walmsley?  anyone else? 

Whatever else you guys can share.  Really jealous of you guys. 

Good luck in your races tomorrow.
Will definitely write some stuff up later. It really was a neat experience. Will link stuff later but you can see us on videos of the race as we were both at the very start and the finish line. We picked prime spots and ideal timing for everything.

Just got back from the Hawks game, will try and rest more than the last couple nights. Less than optimal prep for a race heading into tomorrow, but it's only a 5K with limited press coverage so we'll make it work.

@gruecd and I both lamenting the hills tomorrow. He's got it rough with the last 4 miles all uphill. I've got almost 200 feet of elevation and it's all in the 2nd and 3rd miles after a downhill 1st mile. Should be interesting because I ran harder than I should have the last couple days plus we were on our feet all day and walked even more hills today.  

At least the weather is going to cooperate with virtually no wind. Starting in low 30s and should be about 35 by race end for both of us.  Kind of in between temp but I think we are both going with shorts and single long sleeve top. 

Anyway, will have fun with it and see how it goes. 

Our boy's on the course, starting in about 5 minutes. I'm going to try and catch him going by at the 1.5 mile mark and then jog to my start at 7:35.

Currently listening to some Air Supply in the hotel lobby and loving it. We all need to make love out of nothing at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love local races. 

Even better when the local elites take the day off or do something else. Almost got beat by a high school freshman, that kid is gonna be good. 

For once when my kids ask "did you win?" I can actually say yes.:) 

More importantly, nailed the time goal and ran a solid pace. Windy as heck the first 6 miles, and thankfully the trail was almost perfect. Just a great day overall. 
Race Report: Hound Dog Half.  https://www.itsyourrace.com/Results.aspx?id=10886  

Just a fun local race, proceeds go to the local HS cross country teams. 

This wasn't nearly as large a turnout as previous years, although I skipped last year.  In 17 and 18 this race included a few of the local elites, two of which had Olympic aspirations (though they weren't running in the trials yesterday).  Last year they moved the race from January to June due to some work being done on the trail. June is just brutal, it's possible that shift led to a lower turnout this year.  

Goal going in was to finish top 10, hopefully win the Master's (like I had in 2018), time around 1:35. 

Lining up before the race was kind of funny.  I usually stand 4-5 deep in the crowd behind the line, so I stood there this time but nobody stood in the first few feet behind the line.  A HS kid stood next to me, and we started chatting, I (half jokingly) mentioned I'd just follow him, to which he responded he'd lead for the first 5-6 miles.  With nobody standing in front of us, the director moved us all up, and off we went.  

In the first half mile, it the kid was moving.  I just wanted to run a 7:20 pace and was surprised nobody else was in front of me.  Had to just tell myself to run my pace and if someone passes, that's fine. This is a practice race.  I kept 100' or so behind the kid, and was feeling great. 

With a brisk wind from the north, miles 2-7 were pretty tough.  But it felt great. Kept the "Grade-Adjusted-Pace" between 6:52-7:06 for the road portion, into the wind, HR steadily in the low 160s.  Everything felt great.  Miles 5-6 included a solid drop, which has generally been one of my strengths, so I was able to catch and pass the kid fairly easily.   

Mile 8, turn south (wind to our back now :)  )  and hit the trail.  This was the portion I was slightly concerned about.  I decided to wear my old race shoes (Saucony A8) which are great on the road, but with little cushion, the trail could be rough.   The director had commented that the recent rain had washed off a lot of the rocks, and thankfully that held mostly true.  Mud wasn't bad either, leaving the trail almost perfect.  

I had no idea at this point where the kid, or anyone else, was.  I hadn't seen anyone other than him since like mile 2. At mile 10 he actually caught up to me.  We chatted for a few seconds, he pulled ahead, but at mile 11.5 he stopped and started walking.  I asked if he was alright, fearing injury, but he mentioned he was just winded.  (suck it up buttercup and race me!)  Be careful what you wish for, because half a mile later he was with me again.  We hold steady until around 12.5, when I decide to make him work for it if he wants to win this, so I push harder.  Turns out he fell back quite a bit here.  

The official time was 1:31:59, but my watch and Strava say 1:35:16.  They must have started the clock late.   With only 69 finishers, it was definitely a small race,.  But I'll take the victory - more so for running steady and hitting my time goal.

Now I need to figure out how to swim and ride more while improving the run by a few minutes before Lynchburg. I might just keep the run focus for another month, then have 8 weeks to train for the HIM. 

#### that course.

Plan was to just run 7:00 pace (goal pace for Boston, give or take), not an easy task given the unrelenting up and down. Would've done it, though, if not for the bear attack and corresponding porta potty stop in mile two.

Easily the hardest half marathon course I've ever run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great short month y’all. I am pleased to bump up 20 miles from Jan to 173 Feb miles on 24 runs. Gym fell off a bit from 2x a week in Jan and I feel it. Couple workouts in the 2nd half of the month went ok, tried to ease in but chasing a couple niggles currently and taking unplanned rest today as my left calf has a knot in it since mid run yesterday. Heading to the gym to get some work in.  

Warmer, brighter days ahead, boys, keep going.

2500 Mile Challenge (its day 34 of 366 days - 9.2% of the year complete - to be on pace would be at 232 miles completed as of today)

@MAC_32 - 267 miles

@pbm107 - 259 miles

@gruecd - 256 miles

@Zasada - 229 miles

@SteelCurtain - 222 miles

@gianmarco* - 201 miles

*- honorary (this will be the last time I include honorary members in the standings)
2500 Mile Challenge (its day 61 of 366 days - 16.67% of the year complete - to be on pace would be at 417 miles completed as of today)

@pbm107- 492 miles

@gruecd - 482 miles

@MAC_32- 462 miles

@Zasada - 440 miles

@SteelCurtain - 308 miles 

Users who are viewing this thread