What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (9 Viewers)

:bye:

Hey, you're getting in a lot of training hours/miles.  Feeling like you've got your groove back?  
Thanks for asking.  Im kinda on the edge.  I find runs greater than about 7-8 miles hurt the knee some.  When I bike with power or low cadence it will also hurt a bit more.  What ive done is focused on 80-20 Friel type of work.  Its close to MAF but not exactly.

The duration has been tiring, but the low intensity has been super nice.  I don't think I have my groove back but I do believe im developing a good base.  Once the weather opens up for outdoor riding (my babyness needs at least 60F!) I will get to test it more with the hills as there isnt flat anywhere.

I worry some about not getting in real running miles.  However going through the injury late last year and getting in zero time I swore to myself I wouldnt complain if I was able to train at all.  Also no pool now, but im prepping to go polar bear in a few weeks at the town beach.

All in all, Im super stoked to be working out at all

Some reading:  https://joefrielsblog.com/coronavirus-race-delay-problems/

Coronavirus Race Delay Problems

March 18, 2020 by Joe Friel

I’ve gotten a few emails this week from athletes whose A-priority race was re-scheduled for later in the spring or summer. One of them didn’t even know when the race would be held. All had the same question: What should I do in the meantime?

First, I’m sorry to hear this is happening, but there is certainly good reason for it. We all need to do our part to limit the possibilities of spreading the disease. The sooner we get this under control the sooner we get back to normal living – and racing.

So let’s get into what to do about race delays. From what I’ve seen so far it appears that the rescheduled races are 12 weeks or more in the future. If that’s the case for yours then the best option is to immediately return to base fitness training as described in my Training Bibles. This involves four training abilities: aerobic endurance, muscular force, speed skills, and muscular endurance. You can check the details of the workouts for each of these in the appendixes of the books. But to help you get started, here are quick summaries of what these ability workouts call for:

Aerobic Endurance (AE)

These are low intensity, steadily paced workouts that are done at an intensity at the aerobic threshold or below. In other words, they are relatively easy. If you aren’t sure what your aerobic threshold is one easy way to roughly estimate it is to subtract 30 from your functional threshold heart rate (or anaerobic or lactate threshold heart rate). So if your FTHR is 160bpm your estimated aerobic threshold is 130bpm. These AE workouts can be either short and easy recovery sessions or longer workouts intended to develop aerobic fitness. This is the most important of the base abilities since the endurance races we do are, at the most basic level, highly aerobic. Most of your training now should be AE sessions.

Muscular Force (MF)

MF workouts are intended to improve the force you apply to the water (swimming), pedal (cycling), ground (running), oars (rowing), or whatever your sport may be. Every endurance sport involves using your muscles to create a force that propels you. A common way of developing this strength is lifting weights using high-load, low-rep exercises that focus on the propulsion muscles of your sport. If you haven’t been lifting for a few weeks (or ever) then it’s best to start with low-load, high-rep exercises and gradually shift toward HLLR over several weeks. Be cautious with doing such training as it is likely to leave you tired or sore when it’s time for a sport-specific session such as running. The risk of injury is also high if you’ve not been to the gym in quite a while so in that case it’s probably best not to start lifting weights now. One or two sessions per week is adequate in this seasonal-pause situation. A good alternative is to do workouts that are specific to your sport but are similar to the stress of a weightlifting session. These are described in some detail, along with timing within the week, in the most recent editions of my Training Bibles.

Speed Skills (SS)

These are sessions intended to improve your sport’s movement skills. Some sports such as swimming require a very high level of skill. But all sports require some level of skill so that energy isn’t wasted. You can tell who highly skilled athletes are in their sports by how easily and fluidly they move. This is one of the reasons they are so fast – very little energy is lost to poor technique. There are drills that can be done for every sport that I highly recommend you focus on in the base period. Again, these are described in detail my Training Bibles.

Muscular Endurance (ME)

You may already have this well developed if you were in the last weeks of the build period just prior to the race. If that’s the case then very little of this may be needed now. These are intervals done at or slightly below your functional threshold power (FTPo), pace (FTPa), or heart rate (FTHR). A common example would be 4 x 8 minutes at this intensity with 2-minute recoveries. Again, note that these are notabove your functional threshold. On a 0-10, easy-hard scale they would be about a 6. This is a basic workout that is the hardest of the types described here in your return to the base period. Don’t go overboard with them. One session per week is adequate. If you’re not ready for 4 x 8 minutes start with something such as 3 x 5 minutes with 75-second recoveries.

When you get to about 12 weeks to go until your race return to the build training you were (hopefully) using before the interruption in your training.

I hope this helps somewhat in deciding how you’ll return to race readiness when the time is right. If we all do our part now by limiting social contacts that will sooner rather than later.

So this afternoon I got an "Uh oh..." email from Strava saying that I'd lost my CR on a 0.67-mile segment by 1:37.  Yeah......OK.....

Pull up dude's activity, and it says he ran 23.61 miles at 3:49 pace.  Last I checked, not even Kipchoge can do that.  FLAGGED!!!!  :hot:

Happy Birthday.   :headbang:

The best thing about 50 is when you beat somebody who is way younger than you its fun to say: "You just got your ### beat by a 50 year old man."
Happy Birthday Brony! 

The flip side of Chief's statement is my goal for all of the smaller races - don't lose to anyone who is clearly, visibly older than you.

So this afternoon I got an "Uh oh..." email from Strava saying that I'd lost my CR on a 0.67-mile segment by 1:37.  Yeah......OK.....

Pull up dude's activity, and it says he ran 23.61 miles at 3:49 pace.  Last I checked, not even Kipchoge can do that.  FLAGGED!!!!  :hot:
Nice!  Hope you're quickly restored to your rightful place.

I don't even look at the local segments anymore.  Not that I'm the fastest guy in the area or anything, but I had a fighting chance for most of the ones near my normal routes until some semi-local sub-15:00 5K dude came through and obliterated most of them.  I think it's kind of a jerk move, because to me it looks like he intentionally sought them out, but unfortunately they're legit in this case.  👎

I don't even look at the local segments anymore.  Not that I'm the fastest guy in the area or anything, but I had a fighting chance for most of the ones near my normal routes until some semi-local sub-15:00 5K dude came through and obliterated most of them.  I think it's kind of a jerk move, because to me it looks like he intentionally sought them out, but unfortunately they're legit in this case.  👎
There's a kid in his 20s who presumably lives near me with his parents who's come through my town and legit took the vast majority of mine, too.  :kicksrock:

There's a kid in his 20s who presumably lives near me with his parents who's come through my town and legit took the vast majority of mine, too.  :kicksrock:

I use segments when I'm travelling as a guidance to find where locals run.  On the one hand, I feel a little bad if I cherry pick a soft course record just to get a KOM.  On the other, I aint that fast so let me have my moment.  I think I have only 1 remaining CR.  fudge.  Got clipped a few weeks ago. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Brony said:
I use segments when I'm travelling as a guidance to find where locals run.  On the one hand, I feel a little bad if I cherry pick a soft course record just to get a KOM.  On the other, I aint that fast so let me have my moment.  I think I have only 1 remaining CR.  fudge.  Got clipped a few weeks ago. 
Oh yeah, I think if a weekend warrior, age-grouper type wants to go HAM on a segment that's part of the fun.  The guy I was referring to has a sub-70 minute half marathon.  I guess everyone has their own line, but to me at some point it becomes like a professional golfer joining a random local scramble.  Sure, you can shoot 28-under and win, and you're not breaking any rules, but what's the real point of that?

Oh yeah, I think if a weekend warrior, age-grouper type wants to go HAM on a segment that's part of the fun.  The guy I was referring to has a sub-70 minute half marathon.  I guess everyone has their own line, but to me at some point it becomes like a professional golfer joining a random local scramble.  Sure, you can shoot 28-under and win, and you're not breaking any rules, but what's the real point of that?
agreed. 

I'm actually lucky. I live close by the national champ for the latest high school Foot Locker Cross Country.  He has yet to pick off the segments that I usually run. Some of the local segments still feel theortically attainable.    

Today's run was a classic example of why I never let myself quit until after I've run at least 3-4 miles.  Drove to a local bike path for a 10-mile out-and-back.  It's one of my favorite places to run with a slight incline the whole way out and (obviously) a gentle decline coming back.  Legs felt super heavy to start, my back felt tight, etc., and to make matters worse, I only made it about 1/2-mile before I felt a bear attack starting to rear its ugly head.  With no bathrooms available, I clenched my cheeks and soldiered on.  Briefly contemplated turning around at 2.5 and being good with a 5-miler, but the legs started to loosen up, and the bear retreated into its den, so I continued to the 5-mile turnaround.  Turned around and started back downhill towards my car, and suddenly my legs felt great.  After averaging 7:54/mile on the way out, I clicked off the last 5 miles in 7:22, 7:20, 7:06, 6:54, and 6:30.

From near garbage to a good, inspiring run, all in the span of a few miles...

JAA said:
Those guys still going.  Crazy
Time of day-wise, Czech dude was running through the night I guess and now Wardian in Virginia is down to his last lap in daylight. They are on lap 59 (4.2m per) and over 240 miles deep.  Not sure if Czech guy has been on mill the whole time or not. Think Wardian was on mill in beginning playing video games but now has been running his neighborhood for like 2 days straight. 

Time of day-wise, Czech dude was running through the night I guess and now Wardian in Virginia is down to his last lap in daylight. They are on lap 59 (4.2m per) and over 240 miles deep.  Not sure if Czech guy has been on mill the whole time or not. Think Wardian was on mill in beginning playing video games but now has been running his neighborhood for like 2 days straight. 
Czech said he was treadmill entire time. 

He also said this was a PR for him, like 4 hours ago

Article says Czech ran some outside. So weird as Czech was interviewed around 52 hours and answering fan questions. He clearly stated he ran inside whole time. 

These zoom happy hour's crack me up. Anything before 9 is an exercise in futility around these parts. I'm just now settling into (hopefully!!!) 2 hours of devoted work time. To make the rest of the day flow I need to get about 6 hours worth of work done inside this window...we'll see.

But I suspect I'd feel differently if our kid's age ranges were 9-14 and not 4-9. 

These zoom happy hour's crack me up. Anything before 9 is an exercise in futility around these parts. I'm just now settling into (hopefully!!!) 2 hours of devoted work time. To make the rest of the day flow I need to get about 6 hours worth of work done inside this window...we'll see.

But I suspect I'd feel differently if our kid's age ranges were 9-14 and not 4-9. 
I was thinking some night around 8pm CDT or something...

My kids are 16, 14, and 11.  Im SOOOOOOOOOOOO grateful

I'd potentially be in depending on the night. My wife is a nurse and working a crazy schedule these days. The nights she is working, I'd totally be in. The nights she is off it would depend. 

🙄 How about 5-17?

Hey all- does anyone have an experience with shoes from On-Running? I got a 50% off code, so I pulled the trigger on a pair of these last night. 

Users who are viewing this thread