What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Oh and I just want to thank you pushers for causing me to spend an hour looking at 50K's in PA.  Not mentally ready for either yet, but a trail 50K sounds way more enticing to me than a road marathon.  Definitely NOT mentioning it to the wife at this point...   :whistle:
One year I am going to do this one not too far from you, but the 100K.  

You run early in the morning so it really shouldn't be an issue for you as far as the temp.  However, when the humidity ramps up, that's what is going to kick your ###.  I'm looking now and the dew point where you are is 67 right now.  That's likely what made your run more difficult this morning.  Now you get to enjoy the Suck Index and why dew point matters. 
FBGs plan, and @JShare87 laughs.

Oh and I just want to thank you pushers for causing me to spend an hour looking at 50K's in PA.  Not mentally ready for either yet, but a trail 50K sounds way more enticing to me than a road marathon.  Definitely NOT mentioning it to the wife at this point...   :whistle:
:hifive:
I am going to be more deliberate on trail time this summer to beat the heat. Keep me posted on your PA/east coast race search/plans. Or if you have a newsletter perhaps I could subscribe to. 

I see you were an early bird today, too!   :thumbup:
We're getting into the 90's every day this week.  Unfortunately we weren't able to get out until later yesterday and decided to punt and go early this morning on a longer run together.  The first 2 miles were awful as I just don't do well getting up and out that early in the morning.  It eventually felt better.  But, I will say, it's definitely nice being done for the day.

My favorite time to run is ~9-10a.  And while it's already hot at that time in the summer, I just enjoy it a bit better as I've been up for a bit and feel good at that point yet still get it done before lunch time.  I do like the later runs at 7pmish as well, but there's the entire day of knowing I need to get out there. 

This week, it's likely going to be more early morning runs as I try to run more with my wife again.

And so it begins.....

And so it begins.....
Well there's a fall competition you could get behind - a 50K event.  Points earned for elevation and/or speed; points deducted for spreading out the miles over multiple days. E.g.:

50K                ...........................TIME...............................

Fastest    Fast    Moderate  Slow   Slowest

Elevation             

Max               20 points   18        16           14            12  

Moderate          18           16        14           12            10

Some                 16           14        12           10              8

Little                  14           12         10             8              6

None                  12           10          8              6              4

Spread over two days: Deduct 5 points

Spread over three days: Deduct 10 points

Pavement: Deduct 3 points

:loco:  

Well there's a fall competition you could get behind - a 50K event.  Points earned for elevation and/or speed; points deducted for spreading out the miles over multiple days. E.g.:

50K                ...........................TIME...............................

Elevation             

No.

tri-man 47 said:

Elevation             

In.  Would be fun to see the fast dudes in here knock out some flat 50Ks, while @BassNBrew and I chug up and down some hills.

I think @Juxtatarot subliminally got in my head. I hit 'interested' in a local ultra late last night without really thinking about it until I came in here just now. Although I have a 25K option.

Juxtatarot said:
Is a half marathon the longest distance you've raced?  I don't remember.
Correct, I have never raced above a half.  I think my longest run period is 14.5 miles or thereabouts.  On the trail side, there’s a local 15K with ~1500 ft of elevation that I’ve done a few times.  I enjoy that race a lot, but while it has a lot of up and downs it is not very technical compared to some of the trails you can find in PA.  That's what I'm a little concerned about.  If any of you have hiked the AT in Eastern PA, in addition to some boulder fields a lot of the trail that at first glance appears smooth actually has all sorts of half buried rocks that are just perfect for tripping on as you get tired.  On the other extreme if it's going to be gravel or paved rail trail I'd rather just run on the road.  Definitely need to do some recon.

SteelCurtain said:
Eastern or Western PA?
Probably leaning Eastern, but with a sister in Western PA I could definitely make Western work by combining it with a visit.

pbm107 said:
One year I am going to do this one not too far from you, but the 100K.  
That one is intriguing.  Can't argue with <45 minutes from home, either.  I like the timing, too.  I get the weather aspect, but I was a little confused with the proliferation of mid-late October races where the trail will be covered with leaves.  Wet leaves or leaves covering rocks and roots both seem no bueno.

I get the weather aspect, but I was a little confused with the proliferation of mid-late October races where the trail will be covered with leaves.  Wet leaves or leaves covering rocks and roots both seem no bueno.
The one I hit 'interested' in is Oct 10. It's typically early November. And that's why I've never considered hitting 'interested' before, despite it being 5 miles from my house. Trail racing in November is a hard no in these parts. Early-mid October and while leaves have started falling they aren't quite problems yet.

Correct, I have never raced above a half.  I think my longest run period is 14.5 miles or thereabouts.  On the trail side, there’s a local 15K with ~1500 ft of elevation that I’ve done a few times.  I enjoy that race a lot, but while it has a lot of up and downs it is not very technical compared to some of the trails you can find in PA.  That's what I'm a little concerned about.  If any of you have hiked the AT in Eastern PA, in addition to some boulder fields a lot of the trail that at first glance appears smooth actually has all sorts of half buried rocks that are just perfect for tripping on as you get tired.  On the other extreme if it's going to be gravel or paved rail trail I'd rather just run on the road.  Definitely need to do some recon.

Probably leaning Eastern, but with a sister in Western PA I could definitely make Western work by combining it with a visit.

That one is intriguing.  Can't argue with <45 minutes from home, either.  I like the timing, too.  I get the weather aspect, but I was a little confused with the proliferation of mid-late October races where the trail will be covered with leaves.  Wet leaves or leaves covering rocks and roots both seem no bueno.
Keep me posted.  I could be convinced to do eastern PA  (I'm in NY).  I'd prefer to do 50 miles instead of 50K but beggars can't be choosers.

The one 50K I did several years ago (as part of a four-man team race; I got the long distance) had a lot of rocks and roots. I went down four times and stumbled several more times. After that, I'm now gun-shy about technical trails.  

The one 50K I did several years ago (as part of a four-man team race; I got the long distance) had a lot of rocks and roots. I went down four times and stumbled several more times. After that, I'm now gun-shy about technical trails.  
Yeah, I have the same concern.  I think both walking and running I drag my feet very close to the ground.  Probably good from an efficiency standpoint, but it makes unseen obstacles problematic.

Yeah, I have the same concern.  I think both walking and running I drag my feet very close to the ground.  Probably good from an efficiency standpoint, but it makes unseen obstacles problematic.
Meh. I have a similar running style, and I handle the trails just fine. Not to say that I never trip and fall, but when I do, it’s when I get lazy and take my eyes off the ground in front of me. It’s got nothing to do with the way I run.

That’s definitely one big difference from road running. You’ve always gotta be thinking ahead to your next foot strike; no daydreaming. Oh, and it’s much more acceptable to walk hills.

Can anyone beat 161 SI today?
Looks like we're only at 150 today. 

Saturday looks to be above 160. 

You run early in the morning so it really shouldn't be an issue for you as far as the temp.  However, when the humidity ramps up, that's what is going to kick your ###.  I'm looking now and the dew point where you are is 67 right now.  That's likely what made your run more difficult this morning.  Now you get to enjoy the Suck Index and why dew point matters. 
:yes:  it's kind of nuts. Mid 80s feels comfortable for walking or just doing whatever outside. But then you start to exert yourself, running or yard work, whatever and it's miserable. 

Sometimes I think my parents were smart to move to Arizona.

Yep. Last 50k I attempted, dnf not because I was exhausted, but because I had tripped over so many damn roots and hidden rocks that my feet were getting injured. 

Y'all apparently a bunch of clumsy MFers.
I think there are parallels between this and what @Zasada is currently enduring in Texas. Adaptation will happen with enough practice, but it takes time - and a number of mistakes. I couldn't go for one run in the woods early last decade without biting it at least once. I'd bring 3 towels with me for after - one for the sweat, one for the mud, and one for the blood. And I get that writing this is the ultimate jinx, but I don't remember my last fall that wasn't a controlled one.

In all my trail running, I've only crashed twice.  Once because I stepped in a puddle that was much deeper than it appeared, and the second because I wasn't paying attention to my footing.  

In all my trail running, I've only crashed twice.  Once because I stepped in a puddle that was much deeper than it appeared, and the second because I wasn't paying attention to my footing.  
Oh I've definitely crashed a few times.  Even deployed the "trail runner's air bag" once during a race - as I fell put out the hand with a handheld water bottle in it and landed on it, blowing the top off of it.  

Seems like a good time to share again one of my favorite trail running videos:  Kilian, Max & Dakota go nuts on a downhill

145 this morning for me, and my HR was approaching 160 by the end of an 11K easy run (usually doesn't go over 140).  I think 161 would kill me.
At any given pace/effort level, my HR is easily 10-20 pts higher when it's hot/humid like this.

Today FOUR miles at 8:17 pace, heart rate averaged 136 and was pushing 150 by the end. Normally I wouldn't see 130 at that pace. My body can't handle this ####.

At any given pace/effort level, my HR is easily 10-20 pts higher when it's hot/humid like this.

Today FOUR miles at 8:17 pace, heart rate averaged 136 and was pushing 150 by the end. Normally I wouldn't see 130 at that pace. My body can't handle this ####.
I get that we've talked about this before, but I don't think this is unusual. My aHR on a 3 mile downhill cool down after yesterday's practice mile was 146 at an 8:45 pace. Compare that to an 11 mile run this time last month in which my aHR was 5 beats lower at a pace 1 min/mile faster!  :lol:

Us bigger people just have to work harder in unfavorable elements. 

All bets are off for me in this hot weather. Do what I can and hope for the best.

Yesterday was tough though. I need to not run in those conditions. Too dangerous - and I was feeling it two miles in. Had to finish because I was still a mile from home. But it was stupidity on my part. 

I get that we've talked about this before, but I don't think this is unusual. My aHR on a 3 mile downhill cool down after yesterday's practice mile was 146 at an 8:45 pace. Compare that to an 11 mile run this time last month in which my aHR was 5 beats lower at a pace 1 min/mile faster!  :lol:

Us bigger people just have to work harder in unfavorable elements. 
I'm getting acclimated again. It was hot yesterday and I got 10 miles in with only AHR 144 throughout. We weren't running fast, but that's still decent considering it was over 80 by the time we finished and the dew point was mid 60s, I think.

While that was crazy, I was way more impressed with the videography.  Usually race promos suck and that thing was gorgeous. 
It's been broadcast live for several years now, probably the best coverage of any trail race I know of largely because it's short enough to fit into a broadcast.  UTMB does a good job of covering their race online, but it's 20-something hours for the winners so it's just a different beast.

The good news: Got an email today from Marathon Tours offering me a spot in the 2021 Tokyo Marathon. It's one of the World Marathon Majors and definitely on my to-do list. Very tough to get in, and it's a place that my wife actually wants to visit.

The bad: $1,000pp non-refundable deposit, and I have to let them know by tomorrow 

Probably gonna have to pass... :kicksrock:

gruecd said:
The good news: Got an email today from Marathon Tours offering me a spot in the 2021 Tokyo Marathon. It's one of the World Marathon Majors and definitely on my to-do list. Very tough to get in, and it's a place that my wife actually wants to visit.

The bad: $1,000pp non-refundable deposit, and I have to let them know by tomorrow 

Probably gonna have to pass... :kicksrock:
Oh man. When is the race?

Users who are viewing this thread