What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (11 Viewers)

Last night was another glutenous glutinous gluttonous evening of BW3's.

I had to make an emergency poop stop a couple feet off the path on my run this morning.

Time to reevaluate my life choices  :lmao:
Parts of me miss having BW3 around, but then I read something like this and my sphincter tightens right up.

Back home after two weeks at our summer cottage near Grand Rapids, MI.  Four days of productive work (we've taken sole ownership after buying out two siblings, so no more decision-by-committee and Dutchmen resistance to spending any money).  In between were a busy ten days with son, DIL, and two active grandsons.  Got in a handful of heavenly lake swims plus runs on the familiar country roads and the paved trail that's right across the road.  1/2 mile point of the 4 mile trail is right by us before it weaves through fields, forest, and marsh.  A couple of detours near the far end lead to a 2 mile dirt trail around another lake or a newer 1+ mile trail of wood chips and pine straw through mostly a neat pine forest.  Great times, but now I'm back to the concrete.

Back home after two weeks at our summer cottage near Grand Rapids, MI.  Four days of productive work (we've taken sole ownership after buying out two siblings, so no more decision-by-committee and Dutchmen resistance to spending any money).  In between were a busy ten days with son, DIL, and two active grandsons.  Got in a handful of heavenly lake swims plus runs on the familiar country roads and the paved trail that's right across the road.  1/2 mile point of the 4 mile trail is right by us before it weaves through fields, forest, and marsh.  A couple of detours near the far end lead to a 2 mile dirt trail around another lake or a newer 1+ mile trail of wood chips and pine straw through mostly a neat pine forest.  Great times, but now I'm back to the concrete.
Sign me up for the BMF sleepover!

Well, looks like J&J is unlikely to happen and we signed up for Fargo Marathon last night.  I'll copy/paste the update below.   Looking at King County, they need to be below 39 daily cases and they are currently over 130 and trending upward.  No way they get it under control in a month.

Kind of bummed as this isn't how we obviously planned it, but it is what it is and obviously so many are dealing with so much more so just need to take it in stride (no pun intended).  We will hopefully, at least, get to run it next year, but this obviously makes things a bit harder for my wife in trying to qualify both in terms of the change in course and the need to get a faster time with all going on.

Fargo will hopefully be cooler and is at least a flat course.  Provided things don't go crazy in ND, we should be good to go in just a little over a month.  Now just making all the travel arrangement changes and will see how it goes.

My wife has been on call this past week so, by default, made this her "break" week and is running much less than she had been.  And she's going crazy.  I'm assuming this is what taper is like and thank God it ends today for her.  For my sake, at least.  There's zero chance she's going to taper now and will just follow the plan to the end. 

Here is the latest!  So.. we just got approval from the City of North Bend, King County and Parks and Rec that we can hold a very modified Jack and Jill Marathon and Half Marathon on Saturday and Sunday September 5 & 6, 2020. Yes...that is Labor Day weekend.  But before you get too excited it is under the contingency that King County is in Phase 3 by race day.  Currently, Kittitas County (that belongs to Parks Dept and it's the John Wayne Trail, miles 1 - 21) is currently in phase 3 and has been for ahwile.  Our goal is to hope an pray for phase 3 in King County by mid-late August.  We will hold out until then.  With that said, for all of you who plan to 'wait it out" until Labor Day, we will be mailing your bibs to you by mid August.  There will be no EXPO but we will have a "Solutions" location for those who need additional help with lost bibs, etc.  We are also on "hold" regarding bus transportation.  They may require that we do not use buses. There is a parking lot at the start where you can park for a fee and we will offer a shuttle van back and forth AFTER the race.  The best solution is to be dropped off, if you can.  Your shirt and swag will be waiting for you at the finish line but your complimentary swag bag for your personal items will be waiting for you at the start and there will be a bag drop. Directions to the start will be provided.

For those of you who have chosen to either defer to 2021 (You can also defer to 2022, 2023 by emailing me) or to transfer to Jack and Jill Idaho, you can make the change on raceroster.com.  When you make the change, you will not see an immediate transfer.  What will happen after you have make your change/transfer from the registration platform,  Race Roster will send an email with a promo code for you to use to register for either Jack and Jill Idaho or next years Jack and Jill WA.  These promo code will not be emailed to you until after July 31.  Why?  Because we want to give everyone the opportunity to have some time to make a decision during these "weird" and constantly changing times.  If you want to wait it out a couple more weeks before making a decision, you can.  But don't worry...even if you made the change to Idaho and it is capped at 600, you will still get in as long as you make your decision by July 30. 

"Can I run Jack & Jill WA virtually?"  The answer is yes.  The option should be available on race roster.  If you choose this option, your swag will be mailed to you. 

"What if King County does not enter phase 3 before race day"? We will honor transfers to Idaho, virtual or next year, of course.

Please remember anything that happens in 2020 is never guaranteed under the circumstances we are living in.  It is truly the "blind leading the blind".  

Your patience and understanding has been reassuring in unassuming times and I want you to know how much I appreciate all of you.  No one, not even health and state officials have any idea what is happening.  Let's hope this nightmare is over soon and Phase 3 and 4 are on the horizon for Washington.  I'm remaining optimistic and I hope you are too.  Most importantly ...build your immune system and stay "healthy" :)

Blessings,

Your Race Director

Lee Ann   

Well, looks like J&J is unlikely to happen and we signed up for Fargo Marathon last night.  I'll copy/paste the update below.   Looking at King County, they need to be below 39 daily cases and they are currently over 130 and trending upward.  No way they get it under control in a month.

Kind of bummed as this isn't how we obviously planned it, but it is what it is and obviously so many are dealing with so much more so just need to take it in stride (no pun intended).  We will hopefully, at least, get to run it next year, but this obviously makes things a bit harder for my wife in trying to qualify both in terms of the change in course and the need to get a faster time with all going on.

Fargo will hopefully be cooler and is at least a flat course.  Provided things don't go crazy in ND, we should be good to go in just a little over a month.  Now just making all the travel arrangement changes and will see how it goes.

My wife has been on call this past week so, by default, made this her "break" week and is running much less than she had been.  And she's going crazy.  I'm assuming this is what taper is like and thank God it ends today for her.  For my sake, at least.  There's zero chance she's going to taper now and will just follow the plan to the end. 

Here is the latest!  So.. we just got approval from the City of North Bend, King County and Parks and Rec that we can hold a very modified Jack and Jill Marathon and Half Marathon on Saturday and Sunday September 5 & 6, 2020. Yes...that is Labor Day weekend.  But before you get too excited it is under the contingency that King County is in Phase 3 by race day.  Currently, Kittitas County (that belongs to Parks Dept and it's the John Wayne Trail, miles 1 - 21) is currently in phase 3 and has been for ahwile.  Our goal is to hope an pray for phase 3 in King County by mid-late August.  We will hold out until then.  With that said, for all of you who plan to 'wait it out" until Labor Day, we will be mailing your bibs to you by mid August.  There will be no EXPO but we will have a "Solutions" location for those who need additional help with lost bibs, etc.  We are also on "hold" regarding bus transportation.  They may require that we do not use buses. There is a parking lot at the start where you can park for a fee and we will offer a shuttle van back and forth AFTER the race.  The best solution is to be dropped off, if you can.  Your shirt and swag will be waiting for you at the finish line but your complimentary swag bag for your personal items will be waiting for you at the start and there will be a bag drop. Directions to the start will be provided.

For those of you who have chosen to either defer to 2021 (You can also defer to 2022, 2023 by emailing me) or to transfer to Jack and Jill Idaho, you can make the change on raceroster.com.  When you make the change, you will not see an immediate transfer.  What will happen after you have make your change/transfer from the registration platform,  Race Roster will send an email with a promo code for you to use to register for either Jack and Jill Idaho or next years Jack and Jill WA.  These promo code will not be emailed to you until after July 31.  Why?  Because we want to give everyone the opportunity to have some time to make a decision during these "weird" and constantly changing times.  If you want to wait it out a couple more weeks before making a decision, you can.  But don't worry...even if you made the change to Idaho and it is capped at 600, you will still get in as long as you make your decision by July 30. 

"Can I run Jack & Jill WA virtually?"  The answer is yes.  The option should be available on race roster.  If you choose this option, your swag will be mailed to you. 

"What if King County does not enter phase 3 before race day"? We will honor transfers to Idaho, virtual or next year, of course.

Please remember anything that happens in 2020 is never guaranteed under the circumstances we are living in.  It is truly the "blind leading the blind".  

Your patience and understanding has been reassuring in unassuming times and I want you to know how much I appreciate all of you.  No one, not even health and state officials have any idea what is happening.  Let's hope this nightmare is over soon and Phase 3 and 4 are on the horizon for Washington.  I'm remaining optimistic and I hope you are too.  Most importantly ...build your immune system and stay "healthy" :)

Blessings,

Your Race Director

Lee Ann   
Man, I hope you guys get to run a marathon. Out of all the racers I want to see "race" this year, it's you guys. You've worked so hard on top of being in an industry where you guys are facing the Covid stuff head on.  I'm sure that stress has been off the charts. 

I'm praying you guys get to run this thing. 

Just got an email moments ago that the Monumental Marathon has been converted to a "virtual" event.

Over the past several months, we have been working with city officials, local authorities, medical providers, volunteers, participants and community partners to navigate all of the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic. Out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to convert the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon to a virtual event and forgo the in-person event experience in 2020.  As a large event which annually attracts participants from all 50 states and over 25 countries, we did not take this lightly, and ultimately made this decision with public health as our primary goal.

We understand you are disappointed and feel very much the same. We fully recognize that many of you have been training, planning, booking travel, and looking forward to a monumental experience in Indianapolis on November 7. As an organization, race weekend is the highlight of our year. Seeing thousands of you assemble in Indianapolis, accomplish your goals and cross the finish line is an incredibly emotional experience that continuously keeps us motivated. We will miss you.

As a valued, registered participant, we also understand that you have many questions. First, you now have four options:

Participate Virtually: Run your race at the location of your choice during the month of November. You’ll receive your race kit in the mail including your shirt, medal, finisher gift, and other items to enhance your virtual experience. You can see all that is offered here, and read more below.

Defer Your Entry to 2021: Have your registration fees applied to the 2021 CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5K. You will receive instructions and details in early 2021.  

Donate your race fee to Monumental Kids Movement: Monumental Kids Movement is a youth running program that engages and educates Indianapolis youth about the benefits of physical fitness and healthy living. Health and Wellness participatory programs for students are now more important than ever – help us by donating your race entry fee to this Monumental cause.  

Request a Refund: We recognize the current economy has created hardships for many. Upon request, we will refund your full registration fee. 

Additionally, the Four-Year Medal Series is currently suspended and will resume in 2021. Anyone who is a “legacy runner” will maintain that status whether or not they decide to participate virtually.

More answers to your questions can be found on the FAQ page.

Thank you for your eagerness and enthusiasm to participate in the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5K. We wish you all the best in health, running, and wellness and hope to see you in 2021.

Jed Cornforth
Executive Director

Just got an email moments ago that the Monumental Marathon has been converted to a "virtual" event.

Over the past several months, we have been working with city officials, local authorities, medical providers, volunteers, participants and community partners to navigate all of the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic. Out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to convert the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon to a virtual event and forgo the in-person event experience in 2020.  As a large event which annually attracts participants from all 50 states and over 25 countries, we did not take this lightly, and ultimately made this decision with public health as our primary goal.

We understand you are disappointed and feel very much the same. We fully recognize that many of you have been training, planning, booking travel, and looking forward to a monumental experience in Indianapolis on November 7. As an organization, race weekend is the highlight of our year. Seeing thousands of you assemble in Indianapolis, accomplish your goals and cross the finish line is an incredibly emotional experience that continuously keeps us motivated. We will miss you.

As a valued, registered participant, we also understand that you have many questions. First, you now have four options:

Participate Virtually: Run your race at the location of your choice during the month of November. You’ll receive your race kit in the mail including your shirt, medal, finisher gift, and other items to enhance your virtual experience. You can see all that is offered here, and read more below.

Defer Your Entry to 2021: Have your registration fees applied to the 2021 CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5K. You will receive instructions and details in early 2021.  

Donate your race fee to Monumental Kids Movement: Monumental Kids Movement is a youth running program that engages and educates Indianapolis youth about the benefits of physical fitness and healthy living. Health and Wellness participatory programs for students are now more important than ever – help us by donating your race entry fee to this Monumental cause.  

Request a Refund: We recognize the current economy has created hardships for many. Upon request, we will refund your full registration fee. 

Additionally, the Four-Year Medal Series is currently suspended and will resume in 2021. Anyone who is a “legacy runner” will maintain that status whether or not they decide to participate virtually.

More answers to your questions can be found on the FAQ page.

Thank you for your eagerness and enthusiasm to participate in the CNO Financial Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, Half Marathon, or 5K. We wish you all the best in health, running, and wellness and hope to see you in 2021.

Jed Cornforth
Executive Director
They can "virtually" go #### themselves...

Yes. Sounds like the cabin setting from ‘Once a Runner’. 
:wub:

“You don't become a runner by winning a morning workout. The only true way is to marshal the ferocity of your ambition over the course of many day, weeks, months, and (if you could finally come to accept it) years. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials.”

They can "virtually" go #### themselves...
Kind of expected this sooner or later. That's a lot of folks. Kind of interesting that I haven't gotten an update on the Fort Ben HM that is in October. It's a much smaller event than the Monumental but run by the same group. 

Kind of expected this sooner or later. That's a lot of folks. Kind of interesting that I haven't gotten an update on the Fort Ben HM that is in October. It's a much smaller event than the Monumental but run by the same group. 
Actually just scrolled down further in the email - they mention it. As of now, they are still trying to hold it but say that it may turn virtual as well. 

Just got an email from Fargo race director when asking about the race (even though I signed up last night)

"I think you should hold off on Fargo right now.  We’re still planning to have the event, but we are being asked by city/state leaders to limit participation to ND, SD and MN due to the spike in COVID cases around the U.S.  I hate to say this, but I also don’t want to have you sign up for something that you can attend.  Next week we’ll make our official announcement."

:kicksrock:   :cry:

If anything I'm surprised it's this late. The bigger Ohio races closed up shop weeks ago. 

Yes. Sounds like the cabin setting from ‘Once a Runner’. 
It's just a simple cottage (900 sq ft); unheated and no A/C, though we did just add a portable A/C unit that can be moved between the three small bedrooms to cool them off later in the day.  Nights tend to be cooler since it's on a lake.  It's right on a fairly busy two-lane state road, so it's an adjustment to get used to the traffic going by.  But it's also right on the lake (25 ft to the water).  It faces north, so nice shade starting mid-afternoon.  The lake itself is ideal - about 2 mile circumference; spring-fed and clear; all private ownership (mostly year-round homes).  Not a lot of lake activity during the day since folks are working, and no motorized boats before 9 a.m. (swim time!).  Two fishing nights each week (mostly bass).  Rolling country roads in the area, plus the paved and dirt trails I've mentioned.  Two miles away is another area with several miles of single-track trails through a wooded area.  Now that we have sole ownership, I expect we'll be spending even more time up there.   

If anything I'm surprised it's this late. The bigger Ohio races closed up shop weeks ago. 
I'm fed up by all of it.  I'm pissed off about all my races getting canceled, and I feel especially bad for @gianmarco and his better half, who seems absolutely primed for a great race.  It was already hard staying motivated given the hot, humid weather, and this isn't going to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Encouraging: I've been struggling with a bone/heel spur for a number of months.  (Had one years ago on the other foot, and that has fully resolved itself.)  With the spur, I'm sore for a day and a half after each run, so I've generally been running every other day.   But I just received this ankle brace/wrap, and it's helping a lot.  Wore it after Wed's long run, and felt fine enough to run again (with tempo) on Thursday.  This won't solve the issue, but hopefully it continues to make a difference so I can get in more consistent training, especially as I head into the fall and then marathon training.

I'm fed up by all of it.  I'm pissed off about all my races getting canceled, and I feel especially bad for @gianmarco and his better half, who seems absolutely primed for a great race.  It was already hard staying motivated despite the hot, humid weather, and this isn't going to help.
Yeah, this saddens me on top of the other sadness and pissed-off-ness.

This year can just #### the right off.

Well, at this point, it seems Fargo is very unlikely to happen for us. The race will happen, but they don't want to increase numbers from others around the country. The race director was super nice and refunded us since we just signed up last night.

At this point, will just keep fingers crossed that maybe J&J happens. I highly doubt it, but we are already signed up and if it doesn't, it gets deferred to next year anyway.

One last option that @gruecd mentioned to me is this small race in Minocqua, WI during Labor Day weekend. Considering we can sign up even on race day, it's a possibility. We still have to see about adjusting work schedules and stuff, but it's the same weekend as the new J&J. 

If neither of those work, well then, we are just stuck and get to enjoy all this training by just being better runners, I guess. 

Honestly, I don't have high hopes for racing next spring either.  (Meaning spring 2021 not spring 2022.)
When I rewrote my long term plan a couple months ago May 2021 was the end of path #1, but I intentionally wrote it out so I don't really start training until late Feb/early March. If something comes up between now and then I'll jump in, but I'm sure not planning on it. And I won't hesitate to scrap that spring 2021 plan if we are still a mess through winter. 

gianmarco said:
Well, at this point, it seems Fargo is very unlikely to happen for us. The race will happen, but they don't want to increase numbers from others around the country. The race director was super nice and refunded us since we just signed up last night.

At this point, will just keep fingers crossed that maybe J&J happens. I highly doubt it, but we are already signed up and if it doesn't, it gets deferred to next year anyway.

One last option that @gruecd mentioned to me is this small race in Minocqua, WI during Labor Day weekend. Considering we can sign up even on race day, it's a possibility. We still have to see about adjusting work schedules and stuff, but it's the same weekend as the new J&J. 

If neither of those work, well then, we are just stuck and get to enjoy all this training by just being better runners, I guess. 
FYI, I ran that race in 2011, and really enjoyed it (other than being a warm and very humid, energy-sapping day).  So sorry for you two that things are so messed up!!

Juxtatarot said:
Honestly, I don't have high hopes for racing next spring either.  (Meaning spring 2021 not spring 2022.)
Maybe Boston will be fall 2021?  Ugh. 

Interestingly enough, I have a possible race tomorrow.  Its a 50K.  Its 3.5 hours from my house. 

but work is absolutely insane* so I'm not sure I can get away to do it. 

*I work at a residential 4 year college and we just announced the Fall reopening plan.  We have a Response team that is handling all calls and emails through a centralized email/phone.  Guess who is chair of that team.  Me.  So me dropping off the face of the earth tomorrow for 7-9 hours for a run in the woods is probably not the best idea.

*I work at a residential 4 year college and we just announced the Fall reopening plan.  We have a Response team that is handling all calls and emails through a centralized email/phone.  Guess who is chair of that team.  Me.  So me dropping off the face of the earth tomorrow for 7-9 hours for a run in the woods is probably not the best idea.
I would argue that it's EXACTLY the best idea... :stirspot:

Interestingly enough, I have a possible race tomorrow.  Its a 50K.  Its 3.5 hours from my house. 

Enjoy tomorrow GB!

4:29:14

still not feeling right, so holding off running. sucks. not as much as having my races close up on me when I'm primed to run them... but still- jonesing to get back out there.

probably mentioned already, but NYC will be virtual this year. 

Make sure you bring plenty of water. Been warm out there. 

@Zasada What did the doc say?
Thanks for asking, GB.

He thinks it's piriformis.  Prescribed a course of steroids and beefy NSAIDs.  Going to pick them up en route to the airport.

Not sure I liked him a whole lot.  Didn't really seem to care how this progressed so quickly compared to last year (didn't even want to hear about it).

But if this works, I'm all for it.

Follow-up with PT next week.

Just saw they moved a 6 hr loop fest to the spot I’ve run past couple weekends. Self supported, limited to 200 runners, yada yada yada. Not enough shade for me to consider in late August but interesting they are able to proceed at this point. 

Got me thinking, say you wanted to run 30 miles, would you rather do 3 10 mile loops or 7 4.something loops?  Both pretty easy to self support out of your trunk. I lean towards the 3 loops having never tried the distance. 

Just saw they moved a 6 hr loop fest to the spot I’ve run past couple weekends. Self supported, limited to 200 runners, yada yada yada. Not enough shade for me to consider in late August but interesting they are able to proceed at this point. 

Got me thinking, say you wanted to run 30 miles, would you rather do 3 10 mile loops or 7 4.something loops?  Both pretty easy to self support out of your trunk. I lean towards the 3 loops having never tried the distance. 
In the summer, 7 4-something.  Easier to rehydrate.

15 miles out, 15 miles back.

@gianmarco - I hope it all works out for you and the Mrs.  You guys have shown awesome foresight and adaptability to the situation with all the other races on the radar.  With the work put in, it would be a shame if you aren't able to get in to a race this year.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks for asking, GB.

He thinks it's piriformis.  Prescribed a course of steroids and beefy NSAIDs.  Going to pick them up en route to the airport.

Not sure I liked him a whole lot.  Didn't really seem to care how this progressed so quickly compared to last year (didn't even want to hear about it).

But if this works, I'm all for it.

Follow-up with PT next week.
Had the same issue many many years ago.  Was sitting 8-9 hours a day for work, and then sitting another 2-3 hours per night studying for actuarial exams.  This era was my first attempt at trying to be a runner.....and it ended with me visiting a chiropractor for 3-6 months.

Got through it and haven’t had a problem in about 16-17 years now.  Also try not to sit as much as I used to....but.....that’s tough to avoid sometimes.

Hope it all goes well.

Not able to pull it off.  Need to be working and available.  Too much at stake right now.

Awhile ago a neighbor had written about how an owl had attacked her by the elementary school by our house that my kids go to.  It's about half a mile away from our house, has a nice park and wooded area with paths running through.  I'll often see deer when I run through in the morning.

Well today, that grumpy ####### owl came after me.  As I'm minding my own business I heard a loud rustling in the tree overhead.  I actually thought a squirrel had fallen and was crashing through to its demise and was going to land on me.  Then I feel a gust of wind right above my head and this f'er swoops in from behind just a few inches in from my face...big mofo.  He flies back up into another tree and we lock eyes as I'm running forward and head turned back to make sure he wasn't coming for a second swoop.  He starts wiggling like he is about to launch again and I hightail it as fast as I can out of there without any further incident.  

The lady who was attacked said the owl got her with its talons.  I feel pretty lucky I came out alive.  Enjoy life everyone, because you never know when it can all end at the hands of a demented owl :violin:

Someone needs to check in with our GB from the north who seems to think orange bud light is good beer. :oldunsure:

(For recovery, kinda makes sense, but 🤢)

Someone needs to check in with our GB from the north who seems to think orange bud light is good beer. :oldunsure:

(For recovery, kinda makes sense, but 🤢)
Not sure who you're talking about, but he sounds like a smart guy. When it comes to post-run beer (or pool/boat beer), it's perfect. 

Not sure who you're talking about, but he sounds like a smart guy. When it comes to post-run beer (or pool/boat beer), it's perfect. 
🤔 Could be, I mean it's important to hydrate with water. 

(I've been enjoying Gin Rickeys by the pool, so I do agree that citrus can be beneficial)

🤔 Could be, I mean it's important to hydrate with water. 

(I've been enjoying Gin Rickeys by the pool, so I do agree that citrus can be beneficial)
I'm more of a Gin (Sapphire) & Tonic guy myself. You just use club soda instead of tonic and add lime juice?

Users who are viewing this thread