What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (11 Viewers)

I think it's almost done here.  We were on the west side of the low so didn't get much in the way of wind other than a few gusts.  Plenty of rain though - folks with rain gauges are saying ~7", most of it over 2-3 hours.  Needless to say, a lot of flash flooding.  Hoping to get out around dinner time and check out the paths near the local stream.
you're NJ shore, right?

I'm hoping to do a run on the river to see what it looks like... but after watching that big tree snap in half, I"m keeping clear of trees in case there are any limbs waiting to fall.

Foot feeling almost normal, so I decided to take advantage of the 50-degree temps this morning and knock out the 18-miler that I was supposed to do on Saturday.  Didn't really have any specific route in mind, but I figured I'd do 2-3 loops, stopping to re-fill my handheld and take GU.  As usual when I run in the early morning, I started slow, averaging 8:03 pace for the first 6 miles before my first stop.  I specifically remember thinking to myself during this section how heavy and out-of-shape I felt.  Started back up with a gradual climb into a steeper downhill and then a short uphill, and my legs finally started to turn over.  Stopped once more around 11.5 miles for another refill/GU, and headed back out for the last 6.5.  Legs were feeling really good now, and I progressively worked my way down from the 7:30s into the 7:20s and ultimately down to 6:47 for my last mile.

Overall it was a really good run:  18 miles, 7:40/mile, 139 AHR.  
Nice run.

@The Iguana  :missing:   all going ok?

@AAABatteries hi!  I always like seeing you hit the strava feed  :thumbup:
Yep. Just been an unmotivated sack of goo lately. Actually have lifted a few times but just haven't gotten out to run. Was uncomfortable while dealing with kidney stones but that was just an excuse. Have a get-away with my wife this weekend to celebrate our 25th anniversary - which was actually in June but had a kid graduating high school back then so we delayed. Actually while walking the dog tonight we were talking about how both of us have fallen off the wagon a bit and that part of the getaway will be used to figure out a plan for getting back on schedule. Covid kind of whacked out both our schedules - really just gave excuses - but we are going to get back to it.

Actually have a HM that hasn't been cancelled yet - might be but I want to get myself in some kind of shape to do it in early October if it doesn't get cancelled. It's the same race I smashed last year and set my current PR. Going to put together a plan for the next 6 weeks to let me at least be ready to run it without limping to the finish. 

Yep. Just been an unmotivated sack of goo lately. Actually have lifted a few times but just haven't gotten out to run. Was uncomfortable while dealing with kidney stones but that was just an excuse. Have a get-away with my wife this weekend to celebrate our 25th anniversary - which was actually in June but had a kid graduating high school back then so we delayed. Actually while walking the dog tonight we were talking about how both of us have fallen off the wagon a bit and that part of the getaway will be used to figure out a plan for getting back on schedule. Covid kind of whacked out both our schedules - really just gave excuses - but we are going to get back to it.

Actually have a HM that hasn't been cancelled yet - might be but I want to get myself in some kind of shape to do it in early October if it doesn't get cancelled. It's the same race I smashed last year and set my current PR. Going to put together a plan for the next 6 weeks to let me at least be ready to run it without limping to the finish. 
Run tomorrow.

Glad all is going ok and congrats on the 25 years!

Run tomorrow.
:goodposting:

Get out there  :thumbup:

I think I've figured out that I can run up to 3 days in a row before needing a cross training day. So it's the pool tomorrow. Was planning on going today, but when I look at the temps and it's in the 60's, I'm going to take advantage of this weather. 

Still humid as anything but the chill is great! 

So bummed right now.

Just got a call from my wife while out on her run.  I had to go pick her up because she twisted her ankle while running on the road where they're doing work.  Can't put much weight on it.  She's in tears.  So am I.  Less than a month to go (and should have already raced to boot). 

:(

So bummed right now.

Just got a call from my wife while out on her run.  I had to go pick her up because she twisted her ankle while running on the road where they're doing work.  Can't put much weight on it.  She's in tears.  So am I.  Less than a month to go (and should have already raced to boot). 

I know sometimes ankle twisting can be incredibly painful at first but heal quickly.  Hopefully it's just that type and nothing more serious.  Fingers crossed.

I know sometimes ankle twisting can be incredibly painful at first but heal quickly.  Hopefully it's just that type and nothing more serious.  Fingers crossed.

Also, road racing is probably less demanding on an ankle than trail racing or most other sports.  Hopefully it's not as bad as she fears.
And she's close enough that an extended quasi sorta not really taper could be an option. Couple rest days and a check up then reassess.

So bummed right now.

So sorry. I know you probably are doing all this, but early interventions seem key - Ice, wrap it up in an Ace bandage, and elevate it. Also, resist the urge to keep testing it out to see how it's doing and just stay off of it entirely as much as possible for at least a full day or two.

I was out there today for the first time in a week since the inside of my thigh acted up. Legs felt so fresh - just took it easy and had a great re-entry run. Cooler weather was a bonus too. Still going to keep things a little scaled back for the next week or so - instead of stepping up to 13 miles for my long run, will probably dial it back to 10

And she's close enough that an extended quasi sorta not really taper could be an option. Couple rest days and a check up then reassess.
Yup, so common to see someone get a PR because they got hurt a few weeks/month out from their event and they had to shut down for a bit, so they got to the event truly rested.

Hope it's just a niggle and she heals up quickly.

Speaking of hurt, my foot still does.  It's definitely improving, and I'm walking just fine after not even doing that for a couple of days. But I broke into a jog crossing the street yesterday and instantly thought, "Nope!" 

In related news, I'm reaching maximum density volume.  Enough is enough, time to start doing something about the diet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, resist the urge to keep testing it out to see how it's doing and just stay off of it entirely as much as possible for at least a full day or two.
Sorry to hear @gianmarco and Mrs. Gian. With lots of training already in the bag, hopefully even as much as 3-5 days off won't do much harm at all in terms of staying fit. There's still hope!

Couldn't agree with the above more. It's like you're smoking a brisket and you just want to lift the lid a bit to check on it and see how it's doing. But no. It must finish cooking to that magical 195 internal temp and every time you lift the lid all of that valuable, tasty smoke and heat is escaping and it will just take that much longer to cook...I mean heal. In the words of The Beatles, just let it beeee....

Getting back into it and decided to do a 10k today rather than the 4 mile runs I’ve been doing.  Not sure if it was the heat (88 when I finished), or the extra 2 miles, but I was regretting my decision from about mile 4.5 on.  Pace didnt show the pain as much as I felt it.  All miles between 6:39 and 6:54 with a 6.2 mile time of 42:05 so happy with that, but not sure I could have kept it under 7 min a mile for much more than a mile or so more.  On the plus side, after I cooled down, not really feeling any pain.  Probably not to the point where I am comfortable running two days in a row, but happy with being able to add some distance.

Getting back into it and decided to do a 10k today rather than the 4 mile runs I’ve been doing.  Not sure if it was the heat (88 when I finished), or the extra 2 miles, but I was regretting my decision from about mile 4.5 on.  Pace didnt show the pain as much as I felt it.  All miles between 6:39 and 6:54 with a 6.2 mile time of 42:05 so happy with that, but not sure I could have kept it under 7 min a mile for much more than a mile or so more.  On the plus side, after I cooled down, not really feeling any pain.  Probably not to the point where I am comfortable running two days in a row, but happy with being able to add some distance.
Run tomorrow. But REALLY slowly.

@gianmarco sorry about Mrs. G's ankle.  All the practical advice has already been given, so I'll just to my best to channel good thoughts to the NE from here.  Hoping for a speedy recovery.

So bummed right now.

My advice?

So bummed right now.

Seriously, though, tell her that she'll be fine.  As others have pointed out, sometimes a little unplanned rest can be a blessing in disguise.  With just over 4 weeks to go, there's not a whole lot more fitness to be gained anyway.  As @MAC_32 can no doubt attest, she'll just want to keep an extra close eye on her diet while she's down and out, but my guess is that she's probably a fairly clean eater anyway.  Keep your heads up.  We're gonna rock this thing.   :headbang:

Seriously, though, tell her that she'll be fine.  As others have pointed out, sometimes a little unplanned rest can be a blessing in disguise.  With just over 4 weeks to go, there's not a whole lot more fitness to be gained anyway.  As @MAC_32 can no doubt attest, she'll just want to keep an extra close eye on her diet while she's down and out, but my guess is that she's probably a fairly clean eater anyway.  Keep your heads up.  We're gonna rock this thing.   :headbang:
Worst case scenario is you can just carry her for 26.2 miles.

Well la di da I'll just go out and knock out a 10k for no good reason and oh by the way do the whole thing with a pace of 6:39 - 6:54 which incidentally would put me in the upper crust of the runners around here......

EXTREMELY :goodposting:

IF isn't a new thing for me, but it's been of the once or twice per week on a day of little activity variety. Day-after-day-after day of not eating til mid afternoon has been taxing. I'll be sitting here just completed with my morning work contemplating what to do next then peer my eyes upwards and to the right to the holy grail that is the refrigerator. And just blankly gaze at it knowing that while it is just a few short strides away that our next rendezvous can't happen for several more hours. And when I open it up I'm going to the cottage cheese and berries rather than a half dozen slices of the leftover salami, capicola, pepperoni, ham, tomato, onion, banana pepper over garlic white sauce and drizzled with homemade Italian dressing pizza.

This is pure unadulturated torture.

Would you recommend this over going for a bike ride?  
So, I don't remember/know your full running background or injury stuff.  

But, for you to just knock out that kind of run without really any training other than what you've been doing on the bike is ridiculous. The talent is there.

Without knowing how much you've checked in  here or followed in general with running, you can't run hard day after day and stay healthy. Most of your runs need to be easy. For you, that might still be a fast pace but it means running at a pace where you can comfortably hold a conversation. If you've never tried doing that on a regular basis, I would say give it a try after your run today and see how you feel. Just do 3-4 miles at that conversational pace (which might be 8:00 min/mile for you) and see how you feel.

The key to running more during the week (i.e. 6x/week) is keeping most of the runs easy. 

All that said, I would see if the much faster guys here have advice given you're at that level, not mine. 

@gianmarco

sorry about the mrs.... RICE, as other have mentioned.

I spent the better part of my teens with both ankles sprained while playing soccer 24/7. I'll offer from experience to take more than a couple days off... see how it feels day to day, but I'd say just shut it down for a week and then get back slowly into things or just taper. obviusly if it feels great after a couple days, test it out. 

gianmarco said:
So, I don't remember/know your full running background or injury stuff.  

But, for you to just knock out that kind of run without really any training other than what you've been doing on the bike is ridiculous. The talent is there.

Without knowing how much you've checked in  here or followed in general with running, you can't run hard day after day and stay healthy. Most of your runs need to be easy. For you, that might still be a fast pace but it means running at a pace where you can comfortably hold a conversation. If you've never tried doing that on a regular basis, I would say give it a try after your run today and see how you feel. Just do 3-4 miles at that conversational pace (which might be 8:00 min/mile for you) and see how you feel.

The key to running more during the week (i.e. 6x/week) is keeping most of the runs easy. 

All that said, I would see if the much faster guys here have advice given you're at that level, not mine. 
Thanks @gianmarco, ill give it a try.  Not too much of a background in running besides just always enjoying it.  Have done a couple of races, maybe 5 total in my life, but again, more just because a buddy was doing it or something.  Did attempt to do a marathon once and in the training program when I got to 15 miles I got injured, and then did an olympic distance tri 3 years ago and got Achilles tendinitis but still completed it and just wobbled for the run at the end.  This is my first real attempt to run consistently since because every other time I tried it would flare up and id be limping for days.  But I’ve always just gone and ran...never any thought into pace or anything, just ran how I felt.  Which is probably one of the reasons I’ve gotten injured a few times.  Im going to recommit to doing it the right way, so Im here to learn.  Appreciate the insights!

Thanks @gianmarco, ill give it a try.  Not too much of a background in running besides just always enjoying it.  Have done a couple of races, maybe 5 total in my life, but again, more just because a buddy was doing it or something.  Did attempt to do a marathon once and in the training program when I got to 15 miles I got injured, and then did an olympic distance tri 3 years ago and got Achilles tendinitis but still completed it and just wobbled for the run at the end.  This is my first real attempt to run consistently since because every other time I tried it would flare up and id be limping for days.  But I’ve always just gone and ran...never any thought into pace or anything, just ran how I felt.  Which is probably one of the reasons I’ve gotten injured a few times.  Im going to recommit to doing it the right way, so Im here to learn.  Appreciate the insights!
I've maybe had more history with races, but my overall training approach when on my own was similar to yours. Was.

I've only just gotten back into things in the last 8mo or so. asas I've aged, my body has gotten angrier at that approach and I ended up with Achilles problems. I started PT right before covid hit, and mostly got great advice from these guys in here about slowing down every run that wasn't pace-specific. Really slowing down. There are some great exercises to do to help the Achilles as well.

I still find myself struggling with the slow...but opposed to the old days of hearing the collective 10k thread inner voice telling me to BMF it faster, I'm hearing these geezers tell me to slow it to a crawl.

I've maybe had more history with races, but my overall training approach when on my own was similar to yours. Was.

I've only just gotten back into things in the last 8mo or so. asas I've aged, my body has gotten angrier at that approach and I ended up with Achilles problems. I started PT right before covid hit, and mostly got great advice from these guys in here about slowing down every run that wasn't pace-specific. Really slowing down. There are some great exercises to do to help the Achilles as well.

I still find myself struggling with the slow...but opposed to the old days of hearing the collective 10k thread inner voice telling me to BMF it faster, I'm hearing these geezers tell me to slow it to a crawl.
This. @ditka...mike ditka

Again, I'm nowhere near as fast as most of the guys here.  But, what I can offer is coming into this thread almost 3 years ago with no running background whatsoever and learning so much from them here.  And, while I've made a few mistakes along the way, I feel like I started out the right way and have come along so much more as a result of it.  Here is the gist of it.

1)  You're obviously naturally fast.  But, if you're having an issue with recurrent injuries, you might want to read a few things on running form to make sure you're at least not doing something major that could be causing problems.  Here's a post of mine from a few months ago with a couple links.  There's  plenty of articles about running form so might be worth a look before really increasing your running to make sure there aren't any red flags.

2)  It's been mentioned here over and over but the key to getting faster is volume.  Run more miles and you will get faster.  As a personal example, for a while I was in the 25-30 mile per week (mpw) area.  I never hit 40 miles in a week but was told if I did that, I'd take the next step in getting faster.  From this past December through the end of February I did exactly that.  I hit 40 mpw consistently for 3 months straight.  I did virtually no speed work.  Like, almost no fast running whatsoever.  My fast running came as running the last mile or so of a run with some pace.  But, everything else was slow, working on keeping my HR ~140 on almost every run.  I EASILY PR'd both my 5K and my half-marathon time in back to back weeks in February and beginning of March. 

With your background in biking, you almost certainly have a good aerobic base already and probably why you could run that 10K like you just did.  But you still haven't adapted your legs and likely have a lot of room to improve, which is crazy.  If you really want to, you need to run lots of slow miles and give it a bit of time.  The runs should feel ridiculously easy.  And even then, you're still probably going faster than you should.  But in doing so you're more likely to stay injury free, will enjoy it more (eventually), and ultimately will be faster.

3)  To increase your volume, you need to take it slowly.  The general rule is 10% increase in mileage each week.  At this point, just start at 15-20 mpw and then go up from there.  Start with 4-5 runs/week of about 4-5 miles.  Run all of them slowly except 1 (of even all of them for now).  Within a couple months, you can get up to 30+ mpw and see how things are going.  If you can run 5x/week, you can have 4-6 mile runs regularly and then try to do one longer run of 7-10 miles, depending on how things are going for you.  Lots of ways to do it and it will depend on how you feel, what you like, what your schedule is, etc.  Some guys here do better running more often (I'm one of those).  Others do better with a little more rest. 

4)  80/20 rule.  80% of your runs should be slow and 20% fast.  And, the biggest mistake most make is not running the slow runs slow enough and the fast runs fast enough.  See the theme?  These guys pounded into me the idea of running more and running slowly.  And it really works. 

I'll see if I can try and find it but there was an awesome graph I saw about a year ago.   It compared elite runners with recreational runners.  If you looked at miles per week, the elite runners graph was almost a straight line.  They consistently put in miles week after week.  Recreational runners, on the other hand, had ups and downs.  35 miles one week.  20 the next.  40 miles.  Maybe 18 miles.  Little consistency.  But then they did the same graph for running pace from day to day and it was the exact opposite.  Elite runners had lots of ups and downs.  They ran their fast days really fast and their slow days really slowly.  The recreational runners were more flat.  Their paces didn't change very much because they ran faster than they should on slow days and not fast enough on workout days.  A lot of "gray" zone running that results in what some here call junk miles.  You'll get some benefit from it, but not nearly as much as you could and eventually plateau.  I did that in the beginning without realizing it.  I thought I was running slow enough but I wasn't. 

If you really enjoy running and want to improve with it, this thread and the guys in here are an amazing resource.  I wouldn't be where I am today with my running without them.

Again, I'm nowhere near as fast as most of the guys here.  But, what I can offer is coming into this thread almost 3 years ago with no running background whatsoever and learning so much from them here.  And, while I've made a few mistakes along the way, I feel like I started out the right way and have come along so much more as a result of it.  Here is the gist of it.

1)  You're obviously naturally fast.  But, if you're having an issue with recurrent injuries, you might want to read a few things on running form to make sure you're at least not doing something major that could be causing problems.  Here's a post of mine from a few months ago with a couple links.  There's  plenty of articles about running form so might be worth a look before really increasing your running to make sure there aren't any red flags.

2)  It's been mentioned here over and over but the key to getting faster is volume.  Run more miles and you will get faster.  As a personal example, for a while I was in the 25-30 mile per week (mpw) area.  I never hit 40 miles in a week but was told if I did that, I'd take the next step in getting faster.  From this past December through the end of February I did exactly that.  I hit 40 mpw consistently for 3 months straight.  I did virtually no speed work.  Like, almost no fast running whatsoever.  My fast running came as running the last mile or so of a run with some pace.  But, everything else was slow, working on keeping my HR ~140 on almost every run.  I EASILY PR'd both my 5K and my half-marathon time in back to back weeks in February and beginning of March. 

With your background in biking, you almost certainly have a good aerobic base already and probably why you could run that 10K like you just did.  But you still haven't adapted your legs and likely have a lot of room to improve, which is crazy.  If you really want to, you need to run lots of slow miles and give it a bit of time.  The runs should feel ridiculously easy.  And even then, you're still probably going faster than you should.  But in doing so you're more likely to stay injury free, will enjoy it more (eventually), and ultimately will be faster.

3)  To increase your volume, you need to take it slowly.  The general rule is 10% increase in mileage each week.  At this point, just start at 15-20 mpw and then go up from there.  Start with 4-5 runs/week of about 4-5 miles.  Run all of them slowly except 1 (of even all of them for now).  Within a couple months, you can get up to 30+ mpw and see how things are going.  If you can run 5x/week, you can have 4-6 mile runs regularly and then try to do one longer run of 7-10 miles, depending on how things are going for you.  Lots of ways to do it and it will depend on how you feel, what you like, what your schedule is, etc.  Some guys here do better running more often (I'm one of those).  Others do better with a little more rest. 

4)  80/20 rule.  80% of your runs should be slow and 20% fast.  And, the biggest mistake most make is not running the slow runs slow enough and the fast runs fast enough.  See the theme?  These guys pounded into me the idea of running more and running slowly.  And it really works. 

I'll see if I can try and find it but there was an awesome graph I saw about a year ago.   It compared elite runners with recreational runners.  If you looked at miles per week, the elite runners graph was almost a straight line.  They consistently put in miles week after week.  Recreational runners, on the other hand, had ups and downs.  35 miles one week.  20 the next.  40 miles.  Maybe 18 miles.  Little consistency.  But then they did the same graph for running pace from day to day and it was the exact opposite.  Elite runners had lots of ups and downs.  They ran their fast days really fast and their slow days really slowly.  The recreational runners were more flat.  Their paces didn't change very much because they ran faster than they should on slow days and not fast enough on workout days.  A lot of "gray" zone running that results in what some here call junk miles.  You'll get some benefit from it, but not nearly as much as you could and eventually plateau.  I did that in the beginning without realizing it.  I thought I was running slow enough but I wasn't. 

If you really enjoy running and want to improve with it, this thread and the guys in here are an amazing resource.  I wouldn't be where I am today with my running without them.
Thanks @gianmarco and @El Floppo, never really thought about it like this, but it makes a lot of sense.  Slow and steady wins the race (when you turn it on when you need to!).  A few weeks ago I ran with a buddy and I just told him I’d match his pace and I believe we did did just over 4 miles around a 8 minute pace and I really enjoyed it.  This week ill work on slowing down a bit but getting few more runs in, and will also look at the articles you shared in your previous post.   This community is awesome.  Appreciate you guys!!

Thanks @gianmarco and @El Floppo, never really thought about it like this, but it makes a lot of sense.  Slow and steady wins the race (when you turn it on when you need to!).  A few weeks ago I ran with a buddy and I just told him I’d match his pace and I believe we did did just over 4 miles around a 8 minute pace and I really enjoyed it.  This week ill work on slowing down a bit but getting few more runs in, and will also look at the articles you shared in your previous post.   This community is awesome.  Appreciate you guys!!
Just to help put this in some context, my marathon PR pace at 42 years old last November was 6:49/mile.  For most of my "glue runs" or "general aerobic" training runs, I average anywhere from 7:30-8:30/mile, largely depending on weather.  I rarely get anywhere close to my PR pace unless it's a specific workout where that's the goal.

Another vote for slow.  I'd been running slow all year.  Almost no speed workouts (which, admittedly, I wish I had done more of).  And then ran my 5K FBG Virtual at a pace I didn't think was even in the cards.  Ran the first 1K of it as the fastest km I had run, ever, and then PR'd the 5K by over a minute.

@gianmarco, how's Mrs. G's ankle recovering?
Thanks for asking.

So, swelling down a bit already, which is good.  She's able to put weight on it and can limp around.  Unfortunately she has a long day at work today and will have to be on it but can then rest it the next 3 days.  It's wrapped pretty good (she's so lucky to have me) and my impression is that she'll be fine in a few days and can hopefully get back out there next week some time.  As others have said, hopefully this is a blessing in disguise.  During her "break" week from training, she still ran 30 miles despite me telling her to take it easy that week.  She's in great shape right now and has built enough fitness for her to do well, I think.  I'm hoping this is perfect timing for a break as long as she can get out there in about a week or so and then wrap up the cycle. 

She's currently in the middle of week 14 here (again).  If she can get back in by week 16 on there, I think she'll be fine.

Thanks for asking.

So, swelling down a bit already, which is good.  She's able to put weight on it and can limp around.  Unfortunately she has a long day at work today and will have to be on it but can then rest it the next 3 days.  It's wrapped pretty good (she's so lucky to have me) and my impression is that she'll be fine in a few days and can hopefully get back out there next week some time.  As others have said, hopefully this is a blessing in disguise.  During her "break" week from training, she still ran 30 miles despite me telling her to take it easy that week.  She's in great shape right now and has built enough fitness for her to do well, I think.  I'm hoping this is perfect timing for a break as long as she can get out there in about a week or so and then wrap up the cycle. 

She's currently in the middle of week 14 here (again).  If she can get back in by week 16 on there, I think she'll be fine.
Great to hear and it's also pretty good news that she's only on week 14 of 18. Lots of time to get back into it with 4.5 weeks to go. 

Looking at the training plan, she could probably take the next few days off, consider modifying week 15 to be a lighter week with lots of cross-training that would be productive for the ankle (rowing machine? easy biking? easy swimming?), and then adding some mileage to the long run in week 16 if she's feeling good. Obviously all of this depends on the severity of the spain and how she is recovering. Then a two week taper is still in play. Weeks 15 and 16 look quite similar except for the long run so there is plenty of flexibility there no matter how you swing it.

You got this Mrs. Gian!  :towelwave:

Thanks for asking.

Sounds good.

Is she planning on taping the ankle for runs?

Screw this.  Just get the right flip flops and all your problems are solved. 

Users who are viewing this thread