What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

Harris said:
I'm about to kick start, for the 3rd time due to COVID, my Paris Marathon training and have been thinking being under the BQ time by 5-10 mins should do it.

My sliding scale ranges from: On the money BQ = likely not getting in, -5 minutes = maybe if I'm on the computer like a hawk when it opens, -10 minutes = feeling comfortable.
I'm quite certain this isn't an issue.  My understanding is that they take all of those week two registrations, line them up based on BQ-x, and then work their way up the list until they hit their cap.  

I'm not going to think/worry about 2022/2023 until 2021 is resolved.  If they can make a race happen in 2021, the registration logistics (vs. course caps) will be very challenging.  I can't imagine what happens if they lose 2020 and 2021.

I'm quite certain this isn't an issue.  My understanding is that they take all of those week two registrations, line them up based on BQ-x, and then work their way up the list until they hit their cap.  

I'm not going to think/worry about 2022/2023 until 2021 is resolved.  If they can make a race happen in 2021, the registration logistics (vs. course caps) will be very challenging.  I can't imagine what happens if they lose 2020 and 2021.
Whew.  This takes so much pressure off, and solidified my plan to wait until I’m as old as tri-man.  Or as Mrs APK calls him “the amazing tri-man.”

Does she call him Tri-man?
To protect the innocent (Mrs APK), I see where this hypothetically could be going.  Since she knows the professional IRL version of tri-man, she would just refer to him by his actual name.  Very fair and relevant question though.

Now back to marathons.  Seriously, so impressed by gianmarco and the Mrs for dropping serious results this past weekend.  My first marathon was a #### show.   Those two go out there, on a course that is their 17th choice, and crush it.  Jesus.  BMF x2.

Dr_Zaius said:
So all of you Boston 2022 or 2023 dudes - what do you think is a "safe" time?  BQ-5:00?
Impossible to even guess with any sort of confidence, but I know I’d want to be at least 5 minutes under.

This is correct.  They let everyone submit their times and then figure out the time cut off.  

Impossible to even guess with any sort of confidence, but I know I’d want to be at least 5 minutes under.
Yeah, I know the field has been getting faster every year.  I'm unsure which way the pandemic tilts it.  On one hand, people may have more time for running or been driven outside by the lack of other options.  On the other hand, the near complete lack of races may ruin motivation for a lot of folks. 

I think overall I lean towards people who are more casual runners running less, but the type of people looking to run Boston running more.

Ahh, this is good to know. Can you tell how much of a Boston veteran I am???  Merci Monsieur homme de tri.

Yeah, I know the field has been getting faster every year.  I'm unsure which way the pandemic tilts it.  On one hand, people may have more time for running or been driven outside by the lack of other options.  On the other hand, the near complete lack of races may ruin motivation for a lot of folks. 

I think overall I lean towards people who are more casual runners running less, but the type of people looking to run Boston running more.
I can tell you that I've been running as much as ever, but I'm nowhere near race (PR) shape.

I think its faster because the registration window is longer.  As well as, people are able to run a pace at age 43 and register under the age 45 time guidelines.  If they push it off another year, it could be run a pace at age 42 and register as a 45 year old.  Makes it easier to qualify.  🙂

I think its faster because the registration window is longer.  As well as, people are able to run a pace at age 43 and register under the age 45 time guidelines.  If they push it off another year, it could be run a pace at age 42 and register as a 45 year old.  Makes it easier to qualify.  🙂
Just to clarify, if I BQ at age 39 but Boston isn't until after I turn 40 then my qualifying time is in the age 40-45 window, yes? I was talking about it with a friend of mine in February and if this is true then I was not aware. I didn't ask because at the time I was training to qualify at age 38. Then covid happened and I obviously didn't race. So now that my attention has been redirected to 2023 (I would be 40) this now matters. My future decision making will be greatly influenced if I know I have those extra 5 minutes to work with. I believe I can run 3:05 minus 5 minutes, but there is not much contingency to work with. I know I can run 3:10 minus 5 minutes though - and there would be a contingency.

Just to clarify, if I BQ at age 39 but Boston isn't until after I turn 40 then my qualifying time is in the age 40-45 window, yes? I was talking about it with a friend of mine in February and if this is true then I was not aware. I didn't ask because at the time I was training to qualify at age 38. Then covid happened and I obviously didn't race. So now that my attention has been redirected to 2023 (I would be 40) this now matters. My future decision making will be greatly influenced if I know I have those extra 5 minutes to work with. I believe I can run 3:05 minus 5 minutes, but there is not much contingency to work with. I know I can run 3:10 minus 5 minutes though - and there would be a contingency.
Yes.

Wow! So if I were to run any marathon to qualify for 2022, I’d get the time for the AG I’d be in at the time of Boston? So, I was thinking of the Treasure Coast Marathon or Celebration Marathon again. I would be 34 at the time of both those races, but 35 for the Boston race in 2022. 

Wow! So if I were to run any marathon to qualify for 2022, I’d get the time for the AG I’d be in at the time of Boston? So, I was thinking of the Treasure Coast Marathon or Celebration Marathon again. I would be 34 at the time of both those races, but 35 for the Boston race in 2022. 
Correct.  

Yes.

Took 13 yo floppinho out for a run this am...his usual (but growing slightly each run) 2+ miles.

Was going to do my own run afterwards, but the clumsy ******* tripped on his two left feet and wiped out on the east river esplanade in a hail of curse words he's been picking up from mom.

And it goes towards my own compromised, on-edge state that my first response was to be exasperated with him for getting mystery snipered...and not immediately concerned or worried. At least that was my inward response. I think outwardly I made sure he was ok, if at least to make sure this didn't ruin running for him or for mom. To his credit, he rallied and ran home with me.

I turn 45 in late April 2023 after Boston is typically held so no change to my qualifying time until gunning for Boston 2024.  At least it’s a 10 min bump for that otherwise worthless bday. 
Huh...bq for me (52) for the next couple years is a somewhat attainable 3:25. That was about my original goal while training for the IM before breaking my feet. Yes, tri-fella, 15 years ago. And yes, with the reality of a 4:20 or something actually completed (mostly walked).

Huh...bq for me (52) for the next couple years is a somewhat attainable 3:25. That was about my original goal while training for the IM before breaking my feet. Yes, tri-fella, 15 years ago. And yes, with the reality of a 4:20 or something actually completed (mostly walked).
3:10 up to age 44 goes to 3:20 at age 45 under current guidelines.  

And I gotta break 3:30 first  :violin:

I turn 45 in late April 2023 after Boston is typically held so no change to my qualifying time until gunning for Boston 2024.  At least it’s a 10 min bump for that otherwise worthless bday. 
When I turned 45, that’s when I started to BQ.  Thank god for those 10 extra minutes.

3:10 up to age 44 goes to 3:20 at age 45 under current guidelines.  

And I gotta break 3:30 first  :violin:
Amen.  2022 is when I get the extra 10 minutes.

When I turned 45, that’s when I started to BQ.  Thank god for those 10 extra minutes.
I'm sure there's reasoning behind it, but it does seem odd to me.  I would think 5 at 45 and 10 at 50 rather than the opposite. 

3:20 seems well within the realm of possibility, whereas 3:10 seems...umm...daunting, even leaving out having any sort of buffer.

Dr_Zaius said:
Amen.  2022 is when I get the extra 10 minutes.

I'm sure there's reasoning behind it, but it does seem odd to me.  I would think 5 at 45 and 10 at 50 rather than the opposite. 

3:20 seems well within the realm of possibility, whereas 3:10 seems...umm...daunting, even leaving out having any sort of buffer.
3:20 for me might as well be 1:59.  Can't even imagine running that.

I would have to try and hit 3:25 minus about 2 minutes. That ain't happening unless I actually put all the work in. 

I would have to try and hit 3:25 minus about 2 minutes. That ain't happening unless I actually put all the work in. 
I’ve never been able to BQ without “putting all the work in.”

For 2022, I’ll be 45, which means I get a 10-minute bump from 3:10 to 3:20 (assuming the current qualifying standards remain in place). That’ll make it significantly easier for me to qualify.

Just a quick update:

Feel really good.  Yesterday I felt back to normal and legs finally weren't too sore.  It was mostly my quads (stairs and toilet were a #####), but my right knee from my IT band was still wonky for the first 2 days.  Leg kind of gave out a couple times over those first couple days but now it's all good. 

Mentally, I hate my time but I realize that it's ok and we finished a marathon.  Similarly, my wife is happy and knows she gave her all.  She just wasn't in shape to hit that time on that course.  I'm glad she is looking at it the way that she is.

I felt like I could go run yesterday but schedule just didn't permit it.  It's so nice and relaxing to finally not have to worry about getting out for training.  Over the next 2-3 months, I'm going to focus on getting weight back down to 190 (currently 202 this morning).  In an attempt to stay fueled through all of it,  I think I was too heavy for the race and feel much better at 195 or lower.  Will also get back to lifting weights that I gave up over the last couple months as I focused on the race.  Plus, I have my surgery coming up in a month that will shelf me for at least 2-3 weeks, so no point in trying to go crazy this month as I'm just going to lose it anyway.  I'll probably get back out there at 20-25 mpw soon and then by mid November/early Dec start some base training again with some more MAF focus including hills. 

Last edited by a moderator:
:wub:

No BQ is happening with anyone in these waters unless first that give a #### box is checked - the work is completed - and in between we get ourselves ready to do the actual work.

Yeah, I know. Was just trying to make a funny here.   :lol:

The point is, for me it would be a serious two year project probably. I know I'd have to add tremendous amounts of volume to get there, and it just isn't feasible at this point with family commitments.  My wife would absolutely divorce me if I went for this.

The time commitment from that last marathon cycle was really hard on her. Granted, I could probably wake up at 4 a.m.every day to accomplish this, but I simply can't function on what ends up being about 6 hours a sleep a night for an extended period of time.

I wish I could - the marathon juices have been flowing the last couple weeks or so watching Yan build up to his. But right now I just can't. 

Just a quick update:

Feel really good.  Yesterday I felt back to normal and legs finally weren't too sore.  It was mostly my quads (stairs and toilet were a #####), but my right knee from my IT band was still wonky for the first 2 days.  Leg kind of gave out a couple times over those first couple days but now it's all good. 

Mentally, I hate my time but I realize that it's ok and we finished a marathon.  Similarly, my wife is happy and knows she gave her all.  She just wasn't in shape to hit that time on that course.  I'm glad she is looking at it the way that she is.

I felt like I could go run yesterday but schedule just didn't permit it.  It's so nice and relaxing to finally not have to worry about getting out for training.  Over the next 2-3 months, I'm going to focus on getting weight back down to 190 (currently 202 this morning).  In an attempt to stay fueled through all of it,  I think I was too heavy for the race and feel much better at 195 or lower.  Will also get back to lifting weights that I gave up over the last couple months as I focused on the race.  Plus, I have my surgery coming up in a month that will shelf me for at least 2-3 weeks, so no point in trying to go crazy this month as I'm just going to lose it anyway.  I'll probably get back out there at 20-25 mpw soon and then by mid November/early Dec start some base training again with some more MAF focus including hills. 
Was thinking about how you and Mrs were doing during my sucky pacing run today- thanks for updating.

Weight definitely plays a big role, although kind of a chicken/egg with fitness. saw a study back in my day about time savings of switching to a racing flat...surprising amount over the longer distances.fwiw, I know a way to immediately drop- and I mean instantaneously- 5lbs. 

I can completely empathize with feeling like your final time isn't necessarily indicative of your capabilities. I kind of got my half IMs figured out, but I only did one full and only one marathon- and felt like both had asterisks attached to my finish. but ive realized that's part of the deal with endurance racing- so many variables at play for us amateurs. That said, I still cycle in and out of accepting and feeling good and less good about those two time, based on the conditions I could control.

Re the bolded...schvantz reduction? That's another way to drop the lbs.

Re the bolded...schvantz reduction? That's another way to drop the lbs.
Going to have my tonsils removed.  Supposed to be a brutal recovery.  They recommended not even scheduling work for 2 weeks.  I doubt I'm going to be able to run before 2 weeks and probably closer to 3.  I figure at that point I'm going to be starting over fitness wise much like I did in late April this year.  On the plus side, that should also help with some weight loss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to have my tonsils removed.  Supposed to be a brutal recovery.  They recommended not even scheduling work for 2 weeks.  I doubt I'm going to be able to run before 2 weeks and probably closer to 3.  I figure at that point I'm going to be starting over fitness wise much like I did in late April this year.  On the plus side, that should also help with some weight loss!
Fwiw, floppinho had a partial tonsillectomy a few years back- really helped him (he was prone to strep before, hasn't had it since). Is that an option? He was up and attem really quick post-op.

And the 5lb weight loss I mentioned- I'm not kidding about that.

Fwiw, floppinho had a partial tonsillectomy a few years back- really helped him (he was prone to strep before, hasn't had it since). Is that an option? He was up and attem really quick post-op.

And the 5lb weight loss I mentioned- I'm not kidding about that.
Recovery for kids is different than for adults.  As for me, I don't think there's any difference to partial vs. total.  I'm afraid to ask about the 5 lb thing....

Lol. It's easy and nothing scary to lose 5lbs
Yeah, I think next one I run I'm going to do so without the pack.  I dropped it after 17 miles but I do think it made things a bit more difficult.  At least I ran with it during my 20 mile run and seemed to do fine with it so I figured it would be better with than without. 

Being a smaller race, they only had 7 total aid stations and I didn't want to chance struggling due to lack of hydration when I had a solution I was otherwise comfortable with.

Yeah, I think next one I run I'm going to do so without the pack.  I dropped it after 17 miles but I do think it made things a bit more difficult.  At least I ran with it during my 20 mile run and seemed to do fine with it so I figured it would be better with than without. 

Being a smaller race, they only had 7 total aid stations and I didn't want to chance struggling due to lack of hydration when I had a solution I was otherwise comfortable with.
I didn't want to say a word before the race. you were dialed in and committed, for good reason given the lack of aid stations. But yeah- if we're putting on racing flats to save a few oz, but then adding 5lbs of water...seems an easy fix.

Still inspiring and psyched that you guys did it...has genuinely pushed me the last few weeks 

Just a quick update:

Glad to read this. Take time to recover and buy shoes. 

I had an adult friend have her tonsils removed, I won’t share how horrific the recovery was because I don’t want to scare you.

You can share. I already know it's going to be bad.
I had mine removed as an adult.  It's definitely a more difficult recovery, but I was back to normal in a week, and not in great pain after a few days.  Just giving you a little hopeful, different perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread