What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (16 Viewers)

So this morning "I" mapped the route for the Fall 50 in October.  Total elevation gain of almost 1,700 feet over the 50 miles including one 100-foot climb and five bigger ones at about 150 feet each.  

Or as @SFBayDuck would call it, flat.  :shrug:

Doing a fatass 50K this Saturday, then 16/12 and 25/12 the next two weekends.  If all goes well and assuming a good weather forecast for race day, "I" will register.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this morning "I" mapped the route for the Fall 50 in October.  Total elevation gain of almost 1,700 feet over the 50 miles including one 100-foot climb and five bigger ones at about 150 feet each.  

Or as @SFBayDuck would call it, flat.  :shrug:

Doing a fatass 50K this Saturday, then 16/12 and 25/12 the next two weekends.  If all goes well and assuming a good weather forecast for race day, "I" will register.
Word

I also mapped out a 50 mile course here with about 2150' of elevation over the length of it.  2 really decent climbs, but otherwise not too bad.  I'm pretty sure Duck would think it's flat too.

@xulf Are you racing a half soon?  Saw your workout but didn't see anything on the calendar.
No race :kicksrock:  

I was training for a half in April that got nixed and after the FBG races, I have just been base building more or less.  I've started adding back in some of those April training runs for variety.  

The Columbus marathon and half that I would have ran in was supposed to be in about of month.  The thought of it and cooler weather has given me a bit of a motivation bump.

No race :kicksrock:  

I was training for a half in April that got nixed and after the FBG races, I have just been base building more or less.  I've started adding back in some of those April training runs for variety.  

The Columbus marathon and half that I would have ran in was supposed to be in about of month.  The thought of it and cooler weather has given me a bit of a motivation bump.
Bummer.  I hate tempos so much I pretty much never do them unless a race is imminent, so I guess I was projecting  :lmao:    My April half entry got deferred to next year, so I'm in the same boat.  I haven't done any speedwork since the FBG races either.  I had been considering some soon, but my hip/back have been kind of jacked up since my trail adventure last weekend.

Hopefully you get to run something soon, as it seems like you've been putting in a lot of work.

Lots of excuses in here. We need a race, like now.

How about we all commit to a 13.1 mile run the Saturday before Thanksgiving. You can race it, crawl it, hike it....whatever. We can call it the:

Thankful For My Blessings Run 

It will give us all something to shoot for, and rid our bodies of all the extra food and booze we have consumed since Covid started. It’s time to quit pissing and moaning about things and start taking back what we can control - our fitness and ourselves.

I am doing this for me - I need this desperately.  Who else is in?

How about we all commit to a 13.1 mile run the Saturday before Thanksgiving. You can race it, crawl it, hike it....whatever. We can call it the:

It will give us all something to shoot for, and rid our bodies of all the extra food and booze we have consumed since Covid started. It’s time to quit pissing and moaning about things and start taking back what we can control - our fitness and ourselves.

Not sure if that specific day works for me, but assuming there's flexibility in the schedule, I'd be in.

ChiefD said:

In.  I'll be in the mostly crawling division, hoping to medal there.

ChiefD said:

No.

ChiefD said:

In.

Dr_Zaius said:
Bummer.  I hate tempos so much I pretty much never do them unless a race is imminent, so I guess I was projecting  :lmao:    My April half entry got deferred to next year, so I'm in the same boat.  I haven't done any speedwork since the FBG races either.  I had been considering some soon, but my hip/back have been kind of jacked up since my trail adventure last weekend.

Hopefully you get to run something soon, as it seems like you've been putting in a lot of work.
I actually dont mind the longer runs at pace; the shorter interval workouts are what are hard for me get excited about.

Let's hope we all can get some races in soon.  

ChiefD said:

I think that is something I might be interested in.

ChiefD said:

I am racing earlier in November, just internally debating which one. 

Some random updates on my training: 

You may recall that I shut things down to zero activity during May and June.  I packed on my COVID 19 on the scales wallowing in my injury and quarantine limitations. So, when I started cycling at the start of July it was nice just to be doing something and I continue to have appreciation for any activity I can do. Since July, I've been pretty regular about bumping up the mileage and I've also added in the elliptical which is good to be able to cross train and have something for rainy days. 

Calf/knee injury wise - the bad news is that I'm still pretty sure that I won't run again. I can feel pain within a few footsteps if I try running (which I never experienced last few years).  Good news is that cycling and elliptical have pretty minimal impact on it.  I still get sore and I'm aware that the joint doesn't like to go in certain directions, but on a day-by-day basis it's minor and not getting worse as I ramp up activity levels. 

Comparing running v. cycling: If I was 100% healthy, I'd probably prefer running.  I like that there is no preparation with running - just you and the ground.  Running also is more mentally relaxing as you are rarely worrying about braking, turns etc.   But, I am finding that cycling can be more fun.  In running, if I got into groove on a long run, it was an awesome feeling.  Cycling has more of these moments - when you get the bike humming, it's a blast.   What I loved about running was the satisfaction from pushing yourself more than you thought the body was able to.  After several weeks now, I'm able to get this from the bike too. 

Another tough thing with the bike is that I have less natural ability than running, so I feel like I'm starting out as a rookie.   I'm making some good progress for me.  In July, if I had a single 5 mile lap at 20:00, I was happy that I was moving that fast.  Now, 20:00 is a disappointment that I'm not keeping pace.   Anyway, I know from running that you can drive yourself crazy having time goals, so it's much better just to have mileage aspirations knowing that times will fall.  I've also noted that in running,  lungs were always my rate limiting thing.  In biking, quads are going to flame up long before my lungs do. 

When I was running, every single activity that you saw on Strava was the maximum that my knee would allow.  Intrinsic motivation was never a limit.  Now that the knee isn't a limiter, my activities are now how much I feel like doing vs. hours allowed in my schedule.  

I haven't gone full cyclist yet - no bike shorts, no obnoxious tight shirts and still using toe cage instead of clips.  But, I do have gel shorts in my Amazon cart after having my ### go totally sore on yesterday's long ride.   I also have already bought an indoor trainer before these things sell out. 

Sorry for my non-running ramblings in the 10K thread, but thought some might relate. 
Great stuff man! 

If you're riding long on a road bike, bike shorts are very beneficial. I don't know if you'd need them for mountain biking. 

This isn't a running thread! #triforlife  :boxing:

New guy @wraith5 just la-di-dah'd his way through that 50K, and called it a "training run".  Can there be a 50K training run???  I think that qualifies as #BMFery no matter what pace you run.

Nice work, dude.  I think that @gruecd guy would even give you props if he were allowed to.  

ETA:  At an average HR of 135.  :tebow:

Same in nyc...played three hours of tennis w floppinha this morning, and just ran a couple Ms with floppinho (with a few more tacked on on my own)...watching soccer in-between. Heaven.
What in the... Strava was wonky for me, so I wasn't sure what I ran. (Eta...it just processed my run) But missing a few days this week, I just felt like letting the legs out for a spin after dropping floppinho at home.

5k Strava PR and 2nd best strava 10k. I had planned on doing bigbottoms chance run next weekend and was going to us this as a loosen up...think I'll just use this instead.

Eta...2m strava PR as well.

Here in PA the weather was absolutely glorious for exercising.  55 degrees, light to moderate wind, not a cloud in the sky.   :wub:
Similar here, although the wind was noticeable and the sky was very cloudy.  Running in the low 60s is a whole different ball game than running throughout the summer. 

What in the... Strava was wonky for me, so I wasn't sure what I ran. (Eta...it just processed my run) But missing a few days this week, I just felt like letting the legs out for a spin after dropping floppinho at home.

5k Strava PR and 2nd best strava 10k. I had planned on doing bigbottoms chance run next weekend and was going to us this as a loosen up...think I'll just use this instead.

Eta...2m strava PR as well.
Ran with my buddy again today (historical Sunday running buddy) for a conversational 10ish K. I added 4+ miles at the end, but really felt my run yesterday (even if I didn't feel like I was pushing too much yesterday). Legs and back were barking. Felt and feels good though.

Anybody know how or where strava takes things like 5k and 2m times from? Directly on/from the mile marker? Or just best time at any point?

Anybody know how or where strava takes things like 5k and 2m times from? Directly on/from the mile marker? Or just best time at any point?
Think it’s best time at any point it compares to your other run data. Point to point stuff is based on existing segments or ones you create. 

Bike guys --

I'm likely going to purchase a indoor bike trainer to put my bike on this winter.  I need to mix up my running with more biking and wintertime seems like a perfect time to try to do this.

I'm not a serious biker (I have a hybrid bike....so not even a road bike).  I see trainers for $70-80 meanwhile others are going to $250-300. 

I would prefer a trainers that can be adjusted from the seat or through an app (like zwift) so I can add hills, etc. 

If anyone has any insight or recommendations, I'm all ears. 

TIA

Bike guys --

I'm likely going to purchase a indoor bike trainer to put my bike on this winter.  I need to mix up my running with more biking and wintertime seems like a perfect time to try to do this.

I'm not a serious biker (I have a hybrid bike....so not even a road bike).  I see trainers for $70-80 meanwhile others are going to $250-300. 

I would prefer a trainers that can be adjusted from the seat or through an app (like zwift) so I can add hills, etc. 

If anyone has any insight or recommendations, I'm all ears. 

TIA
If you want to Zwift and do it properly I'd get a smart trainer (one that interacts with Zwift). I'd suggest a Wahoo Kickr but then it's not my money  :D  I have a TACX Neo 2T and while I love it, there have been some known issues with it and Garmin hasn't really addressed them yet so I'd steer clear until those are fixed. There are a lot of smart trainers out there for less money that provide the same service, my buddy owns an Elite Suito that he got for around $700 on sale and does everything you need.

I prefer wheel off trainers but you can get into the mag wheel trainers for less, you're just going to go through tires. Also seems delayed to me too. There is about a second delay on the chain trainers but you get accustomed to it, think it's more pronounced with a wheel. I've been on Zwift since January and love it. I also don't have a lot of safe roads to ride around here other than 4 am. I decided the investment was more than worth it for me.

I know you runners don't care but seeing as I don't run anymore I don't have anything to post in here other than childish remarks. Signed up for three virtual races this weekend on Zwift. They are calling it Haute Route Ventoux, consists of a race Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Friday - Petit Boucle, 37.9 miles, 1,411' of elevation. Have ridden this 3-4 times, great route except it starts at 4am.

Saturday - Ven-top, 13 miles, 5,000' of elevation. Rode it once to check the box and said I'd never do it again. 3+ hours of straight up and it sucks.

Sunday - La Reine, 14.2 miles, 3,874' of elevation. Never rode this but it it's a mirror of Ven-top just starts a little sooner and ends before you get to the top. Should really suck after the first 2.
Fun weekend of racing, really enjoyed it. I can count on one hand how many times I've taken Tylenol after a race or workout, I tend to adhere to the @gruecd theory on taking Tylenol, you're just masking the real reason for the pain. I popped two this morning  :thumbup:

If you want to Zwift and do it properly I'd get a smart trainer (one that interacts with Zwift). I'd suggest a Wahoo Kickr but then it's not my money  :D  I have a TACX Neo 2T and while I love it, there have been some known issues with it and Garmin hasn't really addressed them yet so I'd steer clear until those are fixed. There are a lot of smart trainers out there for less money that provide the same service, my buddy owns an Elite Suito that he got for around $700 on sale and does everything you need.

I prefer wheel off trainers but you can get into the mag wheel trainers for less, you're just going to go through tires. Also seems delayed to me too. There is about a second delay on the chain trainers but you get accustomed to it, think it's more pronounced with a wheel. I've been on Zwift since January and love it. I also don't have a lot of safe roads to ride around here other than 4 am. I decided the investment was more than worth it for me.
Oooof.  $700 was more than I was hoping for.  Remember I'm a newbie at this. 

DIdn't even realize the wheels would come off and I'd have to hook the chain to the trainer.  :loco:

My guess is I'll start with the on wheel trainer this winter and see how much I use it (and how much I like or hate it).  Do those somehow hook into something like Zwift or is it only the super expensive ones which do that?  (I've tried searching but not entirely clear to me.)

Thanks @beer 30!

DIdn't even realize the wheels would come off and I'd have to hook the chain to the trainer.  :loco:

My guess is I'll start with the on wheel trainer this winter and see how much I use it (and how much I like or hate it).  Do those somehow hook into something like Zwift or is it only the super expensive ones which do that?  (I've tried searching but not entirely clear to me.)

Thanks @beer 30!
There are smart trainers where the where stays on. You could check out a used Kickr Snap on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. Could be had for $400 or less I would imagine.

A Kickr Snap could still hook into Zwift or other apps so no issues there.

Here's DC Rainmaker's guide on smart trainers from last year. Provides lots of good info on the different types. And I'm always an advocate or buying used for an instant discount on the price.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/10/the-smart-trainer-recommendations-guide-winter-2019-2020.html

Thanks @beer 30!
Try this and see what it spits out https://zwift.com/shop/product-selector

@Harris makes a fine point that you can probably find used at a much cheaper price. I think there is some versatility that chain on vs wheel on provides but they will all get the job done.

Thanks @beer 30!
I had an entry level wheel on trainer 10 years ago so I could ride in the winter, it sucked and I barely used it.  I know they’re expensive but find a way to save for a smart trainer, the riding experience is so much better and instead of dreading a boring bike ride you’ll look forward to the challenge of getting on the bike.

I had an entry level wheel on trainer 10 years ago so I could ride in the winter, it sucked and I barely used it.  I know they’re expensive but find a way to save for a smart trainer, the riding experience is so much better and instead of dreading a boring bike ride you’ll look forward to the challenge of getting on the bike.
Not trying to sway your bank account because it's truly an investment at this level but a few posts up are three races I did this weekend on the Neo 2T trainer via Zwift. It's not real racing, there is no real road feel but I can assure it's as hard or harder than real life because unlike real road racing, you can't take a break on the downhill and coast...ever...or you stop. So you are pedaling the whole time. It doesn't seem like much but when you transition to the road, you notice a pretty big difference, or at least I did. It's probably as close to real feel as you can get, especially when combined with a program like Zwift.

Got out for a couple of 4+ mile hikes this weekend.  Man my climbing legs (and lungs) are shot.  Foot held up ok, no real pain, just stepped carefully whenever the terrain was a little uneven.  No reason I can't start doing more hiking/vert as long as I'm not feeling pain.

Had PT again today, a little Graston, a little ultrasound, and lots of stuff with bands and working on balance.  One test was stepping/jumping off a short step, trying to land as light as possible on the injured foot, similar to a foot plant when running.  I did have a little pain when I did that, so the thinking is we'll use that as a regular test to see when it might make sense to try running again.  I'll be doing PT twice a week for at least the next couple of weeks.

We talked about where I need to be to be able to get in good enough shape to finish my next goal race, a 100K on April 24th.  I usually start ramping up training for Spring races in mid-late December after the lotteries (which aren't happening this year for the most part), so the goal is to get back to 25-30 miles per week by that point.  Plenty of time.  Patience.  

So how'd it go, @wraith5?
Honestly about as well as I could've expected.  Ran the first 22 miles nice and easy with my friends, averaging 8:29 pace.  Ran the rest on my own and averaged 7:32 pace for 9.1 miles, with the last mile being my fastest at 7:12.  Averaged 135 HR for the whole thing.  I really enjoyed the loop format.  Only having to focus on 3.7 miles at a time prevented me from ever getting caught up in the enormity of it.  And there was also something about it being "only" 3.7 miles and not 4.

On top of that, I was able to go back out on Sunday for another 10-mile run, starting at 8:24 pace for the first mile but getting progressively faster as my legs loosened up, again finishing with my last mile fastest at 7:37.  And only 129 AHR for this one.

I don't know if it's all in my head or what, but the cooler weather has an outsized positive impact on me.  

This is a recovery week, then I'll hit another 70 next week before tapering.  If the weather cooperates, I feel pretty good about my chances of breaking 7 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread