What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (17 Viewers)

Honestly about as well as I could've expected.  Ran the first 22 miles nice and easy with my friends, averaging 8:29 pace.  Ran the rest on my own and averaged 7:32 pace for 9.1 miles, with the last mile being my fastest at 7:12.  Averaged 135 HR for the whole thing.  I really enjoyed the loop format.  Only having to focus on 3.7 miles at a time prevented me from ever getting caught up in the enormity of it.  And there was also something about it being "only" 3.7 miles and not 4.

On top of that, I was able to go back out on Sunday for another 10-mile run, starting at 8:24 pace for the first mile but getting progressively faster as my legs loosened up, again finishing with my last mile fastest at 7:37.  And only 129 AHR for this one.

I don't know if it's all in my head or what, but the cooler weather has an outsized positive impact on me.  

This is a recovery week, then I'll hit another 70 next week before tapering.  If the weather cooperates, I feel pretty good about my chances of breaking 7 hours.
Damn, very impressive!  Glad to hear it went well, and agree that an 8:24 pace sounds doable (which is insane for a back-of-the-packer like me)!  You'll obviously need to be a little quicker than that to account for aid station stops, but if you can be efficient with those you'll be golden.

2 days in a row! Doing a trail HM in about a month. Hopefully this is the restart I need and it keeps going. Plan is to just run as many slow miles as is comfortable between now and then and just do the best I can come race day. No expectations cause I've totally been a slacker. 

SteelCurtain said:
One thing to consider that was brought up earlier is, if you want to do zwift, it's advantageous to get a smart trainer.  You're probably familiar with this, but a smart trainer means that the Zwift app/game sends a signal to the trainer to increase resistance on uphills and decrease on downhills. It's more interactive. You can still use other trainers with Zwift such as the NordicTrack, but resistance stays constant (or manually adjusted) and it's a more static experience. 

I went with the Wahoo Kickr Snap - will go live with it in a few weeks.  While I don't have direct experience, the recommendation on getting a smart trainer if you want a good Zwift experience was very consistent. 

From the looks of the Nordictrack, seems like Zwift isn't something that you are focusing on. 

SteelCurtain said:
@Brony summed it up, options. I had bikes long before a trainer so I was on the roads for a year or two first. Traffic around me is difficult and was causing some trepidation on my part as well as multiple flats far from home, it all just led to a bad biking experience. When the opportunity to get a trainer presented itself I was a little apprehensive but Zwift + Smart Trainer is as close to real feel as you're going to get. They've just introduced steering as well so if your trainer is capable, you can steer like you would on the roads/trails.

You don't get that with the kind of trainers you linked. And that's fine if that's not the experience you are looking for. If you're looking for a good workout, these certainly do the job, plenty of Peloton owners in here that can attest to it.

Lot of considerations to think about. Smart trainer is going to run you $700-$1500 + a bike (another ($500-$????) + cassette (some trainers come with them, some don't $50-$75) +periodic maintenance (chain mostly $40-$75 every 2000 miles) + Zwift subscription ($15/mth). All-in-one's like above $800-$2000 + subscription $???

Neem back in an office the last two weeks. Can't get my morning routine settled to get up and run. Needs to change...haven't run since Sunday.

Neem back in an office the last two weeks. Can't get my morning routine settled to get up and run. Needs to change...haven't run since Sunday.
I haven't run since Saturday. This has been a bad week so far. 

Every day has been a minor emergency or something going on. Getting cranky right about now..... :hot:

I'm sticking to my schedule, but I really wish today were tomorrow and I were currently treking through the especially hilly and rooted trails I haven't stepped foot on in over 2 months. I have two more hurdles to cross before I'm ready to say I'm good again and that's the first one - intervals (hopefully next week) are the last one. I apologize in advance when my easy run later today is too fast. I'm like a rat in a mother ####### cage right now.

Today feel you, I’ve lost whatever routine I had when I started a couple days back in the office a few weeks back. Been getting to around 35-40 miles recent weeks but lots more random time runs.

So, how's that half marathon training going  :unsure:
Awful start to that.  :lol:  

I ran ten miles on Saturday, so I'll be able to run the 13.1 on that day.  Hoping to get a run in today, but it will be late due to son's high school soccer game. I was all set to run yesterday right after work but one of my techs quit 30 minutes before I was supposed to go home. So I had to deal with that, which took away my running time because my son's birthday was last night so we had dinner, presents, etc....

Monday night was high school soccer....

It's nice sports are starting up again but it's totally screwed up my schedule. Ugh.

Awful start to that.  :lol:  

I ran ten miles on Saturday, so I'll be able to run the 13.1 on that day.  Hoping to get a run in today, but it will be late due to son's high school soccer game. I was all set to run yesterday right after work but one of my techs quit 30 minutes before I was supposed to go home. So I had to deal with that, which took away my running time because my son's birthday was last night so we had dinner, presents, etc....

Monday night was high school soccer....

It's nice sports are starting up again but it's totally screwed up my schedule. Ugh.
You reading that right from the excuses manual or just making them up on the fly? Dog eat your running shoes yet?

BAMF my ###

Have a proposal for the @ChiefD virtual half marathon - a competition where no one has to root against a fellow runner:

Know Your BMF (working title):

For those interested, you send via PM your best guess for the finishing time of each individual running the 13.1.  We'll leave predictions open for a designated 24-48 hour window, and then put them all in a spreadsheet once the window closes, so it will be like a blind bid.  For each runner that finishes, those whose guesses are closest to their finishing time get points.  Most points wins. 

Have a proposal for the @ChiefD virtual half marathon - a competition where no one has to root against a fellow runner:

For those interested, you send via PM your best guess for the finishing time of each individual running the 13.1.  We'll leave predictions open for a designated 24-48 hour window, and then put them all in a spreadsheet once the window closes, so it will be like a blind bid.  For each runner that finishes, those whose guesses are closest to their finishing time get points.  Most points wins. 
I like this.

I’m out for this one. Still planning on doing Fall 50 in October, so while I am starting to add back “quality,” my near-term focus is going to be on mileage, not speed. 

I’m out for this one. Still planning on doing Fall 50 in October, so while I am starting to add back “quality,” my near-term focus is going to be on mileage, not speed. 
I'm out for this as well.  Just have zero motivation to race right now, especially when a PR won't be in the cards (as I still ramp-back from my injury).

I'm out for this as well.  Just have zero motivation to race right now, especially when a PR won't be in the cards (as I still ramp-back from my injury).
It's not really a race. It's just a 13.1 mile run so people can be motivated to go out and run it.

Just run 13 miles that day as a slow training day and you have accomplished it. 

It's not really a race. It's just a 13.1 mile run so people can be motivated to go out and run it.

Right, and I thought the prediction idea might be a fun way for those who can't or would rather not run 13.1 miles to participate.  Maybe it doesn't fit into wraith5's training schedule, but he would like to follow along.  So, he sees Zasada is participating, and has to make a prediction.  Well, Zasada runs a lot of miles, so no issues there.  But, he's treating it as a training run, so knowing him he might spend 6 hours the previous day climbing mountains, so that would so slow him down some.  But on the other hand, maybe he can't resist the urge to push a bit and treat it more as a tempo.  But, 13 miles is a long time to sustain an effort with no crowd or other racers. 

What to do, what time to predict...  It all comes down to how well you.............Know Your BMF (working title)

ChiefD said:

Count me in!  Any chance we can give people a 48 hour window to do it?  Just thinking about kids activities and weather considerations.  I really don't feel like running in a downpour if I can avoid it. 

Count me in!  Any chance we can give people a 48 hour window to do it?  Just thinking about kids activities and weather considerations.  I really don't feel like running in a downpour if I can avoid it. 
I second at least a little bit of flexibility.  I am probably driving out to MAC-land to pick up the daughter from college that weekend, so timing could be dicey for me.

gruecd said:
I’m out for this one. Still planning on doing Fall 50 in October, so while I am starting to add back “quality,” my near-term focus is going to be on mileage, not speed
You'd still be faster than half of us.

I do not look forward to going back to the office. Mostly because they expect me to wear pants. (No return date set yet)

I feel I owe the thread a little update/apology.

Just not feeling it at all lately. Taking a break. Dealing with stuff at home, mostly kids and school and need to focus my time/attention there. Doesn't mean I can't run while doing that, but right now, I need a break.

My wife is already back at it and is even targeting trying to do marathon #2 at the beginning of next year. I don't understand why but letting her do her thing. 

Sorry I haven't been in here much or on Strava and it might be a little until I'm back consistently, likely November. But still thinking of you guys.

Just not feeling it at all lately. Taking a break. Dealing with stuff at home, mostly kids and school and need to focus my time/attention there. Doesn't mean I can't run while doing that, but right now, I need a break.

My wife is already back at it and is even targeting trying to do marathon #2 at the beginning of next year. I don't understand why but letting her do her thing. 

Sorry I haven't been in here much or on Strava and it might be a little until I'm back consistently, likely November. But still thinking of you guys.
You monster.

Not sure which one she has in mind, but Houston is as flat as a pancake and PHX/Mesa is net downhill.  Both early in the year.

Good luck with everything and your well-deserved break.  

I didn't say anything about it, but my L ankle was a little balky late last week. Didn't think it was over compensation related (injury is R hip) but I have paid more attention to it than usual and added an unplanned off day running just to be sure. XC Tuesday night went off without a hitch, as did yoga Wed am, then my easy run Wed pm, and my upper body workout Wed evening. So I decided to cut it a little loose in spurts yesterday as I explored those undulating, rooted, and at times steep hills with tight turn and creek crossing single tracks I have sorely missed. No problems during, after, nor at XC practice last night, and this morning we appear to be all systems go.

In a good headspace right now. Gonna do 2-a-days today and tomorrow, but the running portion will be easy. Assuming all the boxes are checked Sunday I'm going to do a strides-to-sprints workout with hopes of feeling confident in some intervals sometime next week. Almost there - and so close I can taste it...

I didn't say anything about it, but my L ankle was a little balky late last week. Didn't think it was over compensation related (injury is R hip) but I have paid more attention to it than usual and added an unplanned off day running just to be sure. XC Tuesday night went off without a hitch, as did yoga Wed am, then my easy run Wed pm, and my upper body workout Wed evening. So I decided to cut it a little loose in spurts yesterday as I explored those undulating, rooted, and at times steep hills with tight turn and creek crossing single tracks I have sorely missed. No problems during, after, nor at XC practice last night, and this morning we appear to be all systems go.

In a good headspace right now. Gonna do 2-a-days today and tomorrow, but the running portion will be easy. Assuming all the boxes are checked Sunday I'm going to do a strides-to-sprints workout with hopes of feeling confident in some intervals sometime next week. Almost there - and so close I can taste it...
So great to have @MAC_32 back close to full-speed and kicking-###.  

The world is healing.

Went out for a run last night to shake off the cobwebs, and of course get a call a mile in from a real estate agent. So ended up with a mile run, mile walk, and then a 1.34 mile run.  

So, an update on the moving idea: right now we have expanded our search to the Wisconsin area as well - near where I go muskie fishing every year with my uncle. There seems to be more homes available there, plus I'd be closer to family (and @gruecd) and my brother would only be about 5 hours away in north Chicago. Plus all the Chicago crew would be close for possible meet-ups for races and such down the line.

Wife and I are going up next weekend to poke around and look at a few places. Still targeting spring 2021 as the realistic move date, but we need to check on a few things there to make sure. Wife has never been there before.

Right now we are targeting the triangle of Minocqua, Tomahawk, and Rhinelander if you want to look at a map. At this point, the wife is approved for full remote work, so we are pushing full-ish steam ahead. Right now I'd put the odds about 90% we are going to do this.

In the meantime, I need to get our house ready to sell, which is cutting a little bit into running time as well. Going to try and at least do something running wise 5 days a week, even if it's only a few miles while still maintaining my long run on Saturday mornings. 

A lot going on right now, so stress level is full max. But what the heck....let's see where this takes us. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/788819-lets-support-bigbottom-and-chance-for-hope/

Hey nerds

Can you please help keep this thread bumped off and on the next few days, especially on the weekend? I know a lot of you have already run it or plan to but it would be nice to make the final weekend of the month one of the best ones for the charity. 
thanks for the bump. haven't been in the thread much in a while cause I'm a lazy slacker. glad to get a chance to participate/donate. 

ChiefD said:

when is this? 

Went out for a run last night to shake off the cobwebs, and of course get a call a mile in from a real estate agent. So ended up with a mile run, mile walk, and then a 1.34 mile run.  

So, an update on the moving idea: right now we have expanded our search to the Wisconsin area as well - near where I go muskie fishing every year with my uncle. There seems to be more homes available there, plus I'd be closer to family (and @gruecd) and my brother would only be about 5 hours away in north Chicago. Plus all the Chicago crew would be close for possible meet-ups for races and such down the line.

Wife and I are going up next weekend to poke around and look at a few places. Still targeting spring 2021 as the realistic move date, but we need to check on a few things there to make sure. Wife has never been there before.

Right now we are targeting the triangle of Minocqua, Tomahawk, and Rhinelander if you want to look at a map. At this point, the wife is approved for full remote work, so we are pushing full-ish steam ahead. Right now I'd put the odds about 90% we are going to do this.

In the meantime, I need to get our house ready to sell, which is cutting a little bit into running time as well. Going to try and at least do something running wise 5 days a week, even if it's only a few miles while still maintaining my long run on Saturday mornings. 

A lot going on right now, so stress level is full max. But what the heck....let's see where this takes us. 
Maybe wait til summer and just build the house on your own. Plenty of trees for lumber up there.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/788819-lets-support-bigbottom-and-chance-for-hope/

Hey nerds

Can you please help keep this thread bumped off and on the next few days, especially on the weekend? I know a lot of you have already run it or plan to but it would be nice to make the final weekend of the month one of the best ones for the charity. 
Will enter it for the weekend. Thanks for the bump
Bump.

Also just signed up for 5k which I ran last weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread