What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

That's fantastic!

Before Gian steps in with a 324 step bulleted plan, I'd say to just set a schedule of 2, ideally 3 days per week (for now) and run. If it's new to her, just getting on schedule and building some consistency and strength is bigger than attacking a race plan imo...especially without races. Once her legs get used to things, the third day can be a little longer, and one of the days she can add some short (lamp post to lamp post or whatever's available that's short) intervals.

Excited for her to give this a go! 
Thx for the suggestions!   She still insists “she isn’t ever running a race” even though she was excited the first run after “running a 5k distance.”  Mrs APK is so achievement oriented that the whole psychological aspect of denial makes it extra fun to observe.

Disappointed that there isn’t already a 324 step plan.

Thx for the suggestions!   She still insists “she isn’t ever running a race” even though she was excited the first run after “running a 5k distance.”  Mrs APK is so achievement oriented that the whole psychological aspect of denial makes it extra fun to observe.
If I could go back in time and give advice to new-runner @Zasada, it would be to run slower, and download that new-fangled Strava app sooner.  Oh, and to skip that stupid Android Wear watch and instead go right to Garmin.

Especially if Mrs APK is achievement-oriented.  Strava is the cattle trough of feeding achievement.

Mrs APK started running a few weeks ago.  Not sure what motivated her to give it a go, but she’s been doing a slow-paced 2-3 miles a couple times a week.  She wanted to run more, but after doing back-to-back days decided it might be better to ease in.  She’s discovered that temperature and humidity affect her heart rate, but claims that she feels no difference between a 150 and 180 heart rate over 2-3 miles.  (Hmmmm....)

Anyway, I’m trying to be supportive without making a big deal out of this.  The minute I say too much, this fad will get shut down.  

In the meantime, if anyone has advice for new runner Mrs APK, she claims that “she will listen to this group, not me.”
From what I've seen of others I'm not surprised she can't feel the difference over 2-3 miles. If she were to run further I think she would. 

Mrs APK started running a few weeks ago.  Not sure what motivated her to give it a go, but she’s been doing a slow-paced 2-3 miles a couple times a week.  She wanted to run more, but after doing back-to-back days decided it might be better to ease in.  She’s discovered that temperature and humidity affect her heart rate, but claims that she feels no difference between a 150 and 180 heart rate over 2-3 miles.  (Hmmmm....)

Anyway, I’m trying to be supportive without making a big deal out of this.  The minute I say too much, this fad will get shut down.  

In the meantime, if anyone has advice for new runner Mrs APK, she claims that “she will listen to this group, not me.”
I am @tri-man 47, and I heartily approve this message.

Love it.

My wife has started running since COVID, with the weather changes she's enjoying it more. We might even run together next week at the beach :)

(Rumor has it my good buddy Oz has been banned from FBG until Christmas for a short tirade in reference to Tuesday's cage match)

@JShare87, saw you got out at a running pace this morning.  How's the knee?
Thanks for asking. I have been doing some run/walks for about a week. The knee is still in rough shape. I am getting another MRI soon. I started seeing a PT 2 weeks ago. She is an awesome runner and a great doctor (3rd favorite). She gave me some hip and glute strengthening exercises based off some issues she saw with my form. Hoping this somehow works. I honestly don’t even have the motivation right now to get better or run. I thought I did, but I really just don’t have it. 

Thanks for asking. I have been doing some run/walks for about a week. The knee is still in rough shape. I am getting another MRI soon. I started seeing a PT 2 weeks ago. She is an awesome runner and a great doctor (3rd favorite). She gave me some hip and glute strengthening exercises based off some issues she saw with my form. Hoping this somehow works. I honestly don’t even have the motivation right now to get better or run. I thought I did, but I really just don’t have it. 
Hopefully the lack of running motivation will give you time to heal/rehab.  At least you won't be pushing your knee too much during that process.  

With any luck, you'll be back and motivated as FL temps start to come down a bit.  I know I'm a little re-energized with the cooler temps here in TX.

:kicksrock:    Sorry to hear about the challenges and the understandable lack of motivation.

I've returned a kinder, gentler poster but still a fatass who isn't running.   Slapithigh!  But not too high, I can't jump with the excess weight.
😶

Speaking of fatasses.  I've gained 10 lbs in the last month or so. Over 188 on the scale this morning, for a BMI of 25.5 🙇🏼‍♂️

But I like this better

Depending what you want to follow, my ideal is either 24 lbs less, or to gain 17 lbs of fat. 🧐🤨

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr_Zaius said:
Been trying to find a new shoe since New Balance discontinued the Zante line.  Tried my first Hoka this week.  Definitely different, not sure yet if I like them or not.
Which type of Hoka did you get?  I like the Rincons a lot.  The upper-support is a little lacking but they are lightweight and have a lot of cushioning...definitely a different feel.

I use them as my hybrid shoe.  I can go long and slow with them, but since they are lighter in weight, I frequently use them for speed runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading to Wisconsin tomorrow to look at houses and areas where we may want to live. So no running for the next few days. 

Gonna be a quick trip - drive up tomorrow, look around all day Saturday, then drive home Sunday so I can be home by 3:25 for the Chiefs game.

Really looking forward to this - a much needed weekend with just Mrs Chief, and the next step into hopefully making this dream a reality. Have a good weekend gents.

Which type of Hoka did you get?  I like the Rincons a lot.  The upper-support is a little lacking but they are lightweight and have a lot of cushioning...definitely a different feel.

I use them as my hybrid shoe.  I can go long and slow with them, but since they are lighter in weight, I frequently use them for speed runs.
I got the Cliftons.  I was all set to get the Rincons, but I saw people claiming they wore out extremely fast, so that scared me off a bit.  Have you gone through a pair yet?  I'm curious how many miles you think they're good for.

I have a pair of Cliftons and like them.  Definitely well-cushioned.  Have about 300mi on them so far and they're holding-up well.

My only complaint (perhaps a feature for some) is that the tongue is really short.  Barely makes it above the top laces.

I got the Cliftons.  I was all set to get the Rincons, but I saw people claiming they wore out extremely fast, so that scared me off a bit.  Have you gone through a pair yet?  I'm curious how many miles you think they're good for.
@bushdocda and I will tell you to get a pair of the Saucony Kinvaras 11s. Or better yet, get the Saucony Endorphin Speed/Shift combo.

That said, since you liked the NB shoes, I'd see what @gruecd thinks about it since he wears the same. He got a pair of the K11s and doesn't like them as much, so :shrug:

You can always get a pair from running warehouse and return within 90 days if they don't feel good after running in them.

Curious where that @wraith5 guy went.  Shows up all "hey look at me, I'm a cool running dude" and then disappears.  Kind of rude?
Oh, I'm still here.  Just kinda lurking.  Been riding my Peloton bike more than anything lately. 

Unrelated, my Bears are maybe the worst 3-0 team that I've ever seen.  I hate to admit it, but it's really impressive what they're doing up there in Green Bay.

I got 400 miles out of my first pair...and I could have gotten more.  

I'm on my second pair and have a third untouched pair in the closet (these have all been v1 of the Rincon - I got the last 2 pairs on sale at running warehouse, I have not had a v2 yet).  On this second pair, the bottoms are definitely shredding a little bit, which did not happen on my first pair.  This started around 100 miles and I'm now at 170 miles.  The stuff I read on the shoe is that this seems to happen, but it does not structurally mess with anything and that is what I have experienced.  It just looks a little gnarly.  

The best descriptor of the shoe is squishy.  It sometimes feels like you lose momentum since it absorbs the impact so well, but it also gives a nice spring up.  The feel is definitely not for everyone, but I am a fan.  I currently rotate in a Saucony Kinvarna and Saucony ISO Freedom.

I ran my Chance for Hope 5K today.

As I've mentioned a million times, my HR has sucked recently on my runs, and this is a step back week in terms of mileage.  I wanted to get the run done in September, but that wasn't in the cards and bigbottom said it didn't need done by month end, that we just needed to register.

I chose a different route than what I had done for my FBG 5K b/c I wanted to be able to run to it after walking my kids to school.  I did all sorts of things wrong today  :angry:    It was cold out, so I wore a long sleeve, gloves, and ear cover / headband thing.  I had all of these, and my mask that we have to wear when dropping off the kids.  So, I dropped them off, stuck my mask in my pocket and slowly jogged to the starting point.  HR was pretty high considering my pace...so, I was worried.  I was also sweating way more than I should have.

This was a route I had never run before but had mapped out earlier this week.  Got to the starting point and realized there was no way I wanted my gloves and my ear warmer., so I took them off and stuff them in my pockets along with my mask.  I now had hugely bulging pockets (no, I was not happy to see you).  I really didn't want the long sleeve either, but there was nowhere to put that.

Mile 1 - 6:24 (153 HR)

Net downhill and started out fast.  Took a bit, but found my pace, but my HR was already in the mid-170s by the end of this mile, which is not at all a good thing for me.  Based on my Unproductive status, I knew that this was going to hurt and that I may crash and burn after mile 2.  

Mile 2 - 6:36 (175 HR)

This was a pretty flat mile.  Since this was the first time running the route, I wasn't familiar with what I was doing.  I made a left turn one street too early and ended up running an impromptu loop.  I lucked out that everything connected back to where I wanted to go,  but it really threw me off as I was running lost for about half a mile.  HR was in the upper 170s by the end of this mile and the delirium was starting to set in...but we push on.

Mile 3 - 6:40 (179 HR)

This mile started with an uphill before turning into a slow decline for the rest of the mile.  My pace wasn't looking great and my HR was hitting 180.  I apparently had a little left b/c I started picking it up with about 1/4 mile left.  I had to run through a tunnel under a main road and the uphill out of that back to the street sucked, but then it was all downhill.

Mile 3.1 - 5:38 (183 HR)

Gave it all I had left.  180+ HR is pure misery for me.  I actually had to slightly slow this down b/c my chest was hurting and I didn't want to die.

5K Time - 20:16

I missed my PR by 7 seconds.  I am happy with the results and it was such a great cause to run for.  I am also pretty sure that if conditions were different (physical and logistic), I could have beaten that PR and flirted with sub 20:00.

Oh, I'm still here.  Just kinda lurking.  Been riding my Peloton bike more than anything lately. 

Unrelated, my Bears are maybe the worst 3-0 team that I've ever seen.  I hate to admit it, but it's really impressive what they're doing up there in Green Bay.
As near as I can tell, Packers players are dropping faster than staff in the West Wing.

@bushdocda and I will tell you to get a pair of the Saucony Kinvaras 11s. Or better yet, get the Saucony Endorphin Speed/Shift combo.

That said, since you liked the NB shoes, I'd see what @gruecd thinks about it since he wears the same. He got a pair of the K11s and doesn't like them as much, so :shrug:

You can always get a pair from running warehouse and return within 90 days if they don't feel good after running in them.
I'll have to look back at what Saucony I had, because I had one pair where the sole was really stiff and I absolutely hated them, and I've been gun shy about buying another pair from them since.  I do order a lot of my shoes from running warehouse, but have never taken advantage of the return options.  Maybe I'll check out the Kinvaras.

Yeah, as a FF owner who picked up Lazard as a MNF hedge against Adams being out, I'm feeling this.  And of course MVS is on another owner's bench...
Don't sleep on Robert "Bobby" Tonyan at TE.  5 catches last week on 5 targets for 50 yards and a TD.  Rodgers seems to really love the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread