What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (5 Viewers)

Were you walking backwards on your workout today? 
LOL, you're the second person to ask me that.  Ran with a buddy who's slower than me, and we ran on (mostly) single-track trail, plus I've got a big run coming up this weekend, so I'm trying to take it easy on my legs.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the kind of  cougar attack I want in my life.  .  If you don't have all 6 minutes, at least go to the 2;45 mark.  Guys heart rate must have exploded. 

NSFW language by the way. 
Dude didn't have bear spray?  Any time I'm trail running alone, I've got it handy.  And most times when I'm with a group.

Clearly kitty didn't want to eat him, just scare him away.  He references "babies".  I didn't see any in the video, but if he saw babies and kept moving toward them (he was moving forward at the start of the video), then he's a total ####### idiot.  Any time you see babies (bear cubs, etc), you turn the #### around.  Don't try to pass them.

If my future ends as a cougar lunch, I'm confident I will never see the cat that attacked me.  It will be from behind, and totally by surprise.  

Dude didn't have bear spray?  Any time I'm trail running alone, I've got it handy.  And most times when I'm with a group.

Clearly kitty didn't want to eat him, just scare him away.  He references "babies".  I didn't see any in the video, but if he saw babies and kept moving toward them (he was moving forward at the start of the video), then he's a total ####### idiot.  Any time you see babies (bear cubs, etc), you turn the #### around.  Don't try to pass them.

If my future ends as a cougar lunch snack, I'm confident I will never see the cat that attacked me.  It will be from behind, and totally by surprise.  
FYP.

How's that pushup coming along?

Horrible, horrible run this morning.

Original plan was to run 20K trails at one of my usual haunts.  Then my buddies both bailed on me, and when I woke up it was 34F and raining (lightly).  Didn't feel like running rainy, muddy trails in the dark.

So I lace-up the street shoes and figure I'll knock-out my midweek 20K today, and save myself from having to do it in DFW later.  Get out, and almost right away I can tell something is off.  My gut hurts and my respiration is way up for the pace.  Just after 2K I get to the first meaningful hill of my usual route and it was so much harder than usual.  Respiration going crazy, gut feeling like I'm going to barf, but HR just fine.

I'm all like "DBAP!" and after 3K it still feels like I'm going to barf.  Gets bad enough that I have to stop and walk.  Over the next 2K in the rain, I decide I'll just turn around at the 5K point (making it my usual 10K) rather than go for 20K today.  Proceed to BAP run/walk home.

Sitting on the couch here my gut is still off so I'm guessing I ate too much last night (TG leftovers) and hadn't processed it enough to permit a run.

You see the two cubs in the early seconds of the clip. Mom comes running up a few seconds later.

Didn't notice that at first glance. That second one is camouflaged pretty good by the grass in the middle of the road. 
Yeah, I just watched on my desktop and saw the 2nd one.  Didn't see it at first on my phone.  I thought it was a squirrel that bolted when it saw the cougar.

He's an idiot, no wonder she chased him like that.  Kinda crazy how far she made him go.

Who's picking up one of those big rocks in that scenario? 

Yeah, I just watched on my desktop and saw the 2nd one.  Didn't see it at first on my phone.  I thought it was a squirrel that bolted when it saw the cougar.

He's an idiot, no wonder she chased him like that.  Kinda crazy how far she made him go.

I wondered about that. Maybe he didn’t want to bend down? 

He stumbled upon baby cougars.   He started to move backwards while facing the cougar while making himself bigger and didn't run away.  Seems like he got the big things right, but what else should he have done?  I probably would have thrown a rock, but if I"m honest, I'd be nervous about antagonizing it. 

He stumbled upon baby cougars.   He started to move backwards while facing the cougar while making himself bigger and didn't run away.  Seems like he got the big things right, but what else should he have done?  I probably would have thrown a rock, but if I"m honest, I'd be nervous about antagonizing it. 
One has to assume he saw the babies and got his phone out.  During that time he walked toward the babies.  That's what he did wrong.  Everything else he pretty much did right.  

The name of the game here is to avoid confrontation.  He did that part poorly.

One has to assume he saw the babies and got his phone out.  During that time he walked toward the babies.  That's what he did wrong.  Everything else he pretty much did right.  

The name of the game here is to avoid confrontation.  He did that part poorly.
that makes sense.  I didn't get the idea that he purposely went towards the babies, but you're probably right. 

I briefly diverted off my grids this morning for a short detour up the entrance drive for a forest preserve.  As I ran, a chipmunk bolted out of the woods and ran right in front of me.  That little dude was fast.  

This may shock you, but with rain forecast, I will run with a cap in the morning. 

I know- it's crazy to use gear to combat the elements. I should just be running au naturale and without shoes like you chuckleheads.

If my future ends as a cougar lunch, I'm confident I will never see the cat that attacked me.  It will be from behind, and totally by surprise.  
Yep

We don't get many bears where I run, but when it kayaking I make sure to keep an eye out and stay the F away if I see a small gator. 

Would you prefer that to your 245?
Looking at the specs, it appears the 245 has Pulse Ox (Fenix 5+ doesn't), but doesn't have a Barometric Altimeter (the Fenix 5+ does).

Battery life appears to be longer on the Fenix as well, if that matters to you.

Given all the elevation I run, the altimeter is a must-have for me.

Further, the Fenix is chonkier (bigger/heavier).  I really don't notice it, but if you run with a Forerunner, it might matter to you.

Yeah, I saw that.  I'm still in the market for a watch.  My old backup wasn't charging, then it charged fine, now it's back to not charging.  I think I'm going to follow the street running crowd here and go with the 245.  Too bad it's not discounted for Prime Day.  
Gimme a minute and let me check my wife's online Blue Cross/Blue Shield account. I've seen Garmin watches for sale in there at really good prices - probably because Garmin is headquartered here in KC and they have some kind of arrangement as part of a get healthy initiative with her insurance company.

I need to get one also since my Tom-Tom is getting older and I know I'm on borrowed time.

I can get 20% off Garmin's list prices on their website through my employer discount.  Let me know if that is a route you want to go.  

I can get 20% off Garmin's list prices on their website through my employer discount.  Let me know if that is a route you want to go.  
I can get 30% off Garmin's list prices on their website through my employer discount.  Let me know if that is a route you want to go.  

New shoes!  I've been running in Saucony Freedom ISO 2's (8.4 oz; 4 mm drop), but they've been replaced with the Freedom 3's, and I wanted to find a lower price point than that $150.

Looking at some of the shoes used here, I tried the Saucony Kinvara (7.8 oz; 4 mm) and New Balance Fuel Cell Rebels (7.2 oz; 6 mm), but neither felt right.

The manager at Fleet Feet suggested the New Balance Beacon v3 (8.2 oz; 6 mm), which felt great.  The other item I wanted to try were the Hoka Clifton 7's (8.7 oz; 5 mm).  The Cliftons felt a little snug going on, but the stride felt awesome in them with a natural forward lean. So I bought both.  NB Beacons priced at $120, and the Hoka Cliftons priced at $130 ...less a $15 FF coupon from racking up runs. As some of you recommend, it can be beneficial to have different brands so the feet can adapt to each and not be in the exact same position every run.  We'll see how that works.

Well, looks like we are adding another marathon to the calendar.

More info

The wife is running a HM this weekend and is looking at this race for February.  Her reasons make sense.  First, she's getting a coach for the first time and trying it out to see if it helps.  Second, she wants to train over the colder months instead of the summer.  Third, this race is a downhill race (half the decline as J&J), so it'll give her a preview of what it's like as well as a chance to run a marathon without all the pressure to BQ.  Fourth, it's a little vacation time to get away.  Fifth, it's supposedly a beautiful course as well.

As for me, I don't know what I should do with that.  I actually wouldn't mind running it but I absolutely do not have enough time to train.  I'm hoping to be able to start running again by the beginning of November, but even that will be at least a month just getting back into things, which leaves me only 2 months to train.  That said, being a downhill race, I think I could get through it if I just focus on volume and long runs over the winter. 

Thoughts?

Well, looks like we are adding another marathon to the calendar.

More info

The wife is running a HM this weekend and is looking at this race for February.  Her reasons make sense.  First, she's getting a coach for the first time and trying it out to see if it helps.  Second, she wants to train over the colder months instead of the summer.  Third, this race is a downhill race (half the decline as J&J), so it'll give her a preview of what it's like as well as a chance to run a marathon without all the pressure to BQ.  Fourth, it's a little vacation time to get away.  Fifth, it's supposedly a beautiful course as well.

As for me, I don't know what I should do with that.  I actually wouldn't mind running it but I absolutely do not have enough time to train.  I'm hoping to be able to start running again by the beginning of November, but even that will be at least a month just getting back into things, which leaves me only 2 months to train.  That said, being a downhill race, I think I could get through it if I just focus on volume and long runs over the winter. 

Thoughts?
RF;DBAP

Users who are viewing this thread