What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

They’re a PITA schedule-wise, but that mid-week “medium-long run” is one of the keys to successful marathon training imo.
Yep. One thing I've missed since Covid is the kid's soccer practices. I would get 1.5 hours a couple of days a week to run while they were at practice. Was the perfect time to get 8-9 miles in. I'm having a hard time taking the time to do this right now, and it's really affected my running obviously.

My mental game sucks sack right now.

I'm starting to burn out on the runs available to me.

Got across the williamsburg bridge this morning to do 12ish, either along the brooklyn waterfront or back across the manhattan bridge and west side waterfront...but both options bored me. So I went right instead of left after the bridge up into greenpoint bear country.

No beast sightings today thankfully, and ran into queens to loop back on the 59th st bridge and down by the UN along the east river. Haven't run that bridge since running NYC in '07. Easier than I remembered.

I think the problem is...I miss running in nature. At a certain point, whether I turn left or right, I'm still essentially running city streets. I miss Duck/marin running on Mt Team and the marin headlands. Endless trails and beautiful, varied terrain.

But I'm happier running than not...so have to keep reminding myself that.

I'm starting to burn out on the runs available to me.

Got across the williamsburg bridge this morning to do 12ish, either along the brooklyn waterfront or back across the manhattan bridge and west side waterfront...but both options bored me. So I went right instead of left after the bridge up into greenpoint bear country.

No beast sightings today thankfully, and ran into queens to loop back on the 59th st bridge and down by the UN along the east river. Haven't run that bridge since running NYC in '07. Easier than I remembered.

I think the problem is...I miss running in nature. At a certain point, whether I turn left or right, I'm still essentially running city streets. I miss Duck/marin running on Mt Team and the marin headlands. Endless trails and beautiful, varied terrain.

But I'm happier running than not...so have to keep reminding myself that.
Do you ever hop on the train to go run in Central Park or anything?  Literally one of my favorite places in the world to run.

PS:  Had dinner right in your backyard at Beauty & Essex the last time we were in NYC.  Pretty cool place.  Love hanging out in the LES.

Do you ever hop on the train to go run in Central Park or anything?  Literally one of my favorite places in the world to run.

PS:  Had dinner right in your backyard at Beauty & Essex the last time we were in NYC.  Pretty cool place.  Love hanging out in the LES.
Beauty and essex, even with the crowd, is still really good food and a nice spot. And yeah...a block from us. It's a fun hood. You've probably puked in our doorway like the rest of the yabos around here.

Central Park was my tri days workout area. I ran and biked sooooo many loops and miles there on every inch of that place, I'm still a little burned out 15 years later. But I was thinking of it today too as an option. I could hop a citibike and get up there in the same time a train would take...about 20 mins. Plus, the bike always did wonders warming up my legs for running. My 10k and 1/2 prs are all tri-related, either part of races or part of brick workouts. Think I'll give it a go next weekend...thanks for the reminder.

And definitely next time you're here, let me know. Grab a drink or some miles.

Beauty and essex, even with the crowd, is still really good food and a nice spot. And yeah...a block from us. It's a fun hood. You've probably puked in our doorway like the rest of the yabos around here.

Central Park was my tri days workout area. I ran and biked sooooo many loops and miles there on every inch of that place, I'm still a little burned out 15 years later. But I was thinking of it today too as an option. I could hop a citibike and get up there in the same time a train would take...about 20 mins. Plus, the bike always did wonders warming up my legs for running. My 10k and 1/2 prs are all tri-related, either part of races or part of brick workouts. Think I'll give it a go next weekend...thanks for the reminder.

And definitely next time you're here, let me know. Grab a drink or some miles.
A distinct possibility after one night I can (sort of) remember at No Fun...

Will absolutely hit you up for both the next time we're in town.  In pre-Covid times, we tried to get there at least once a year.

A distinct possibility after one night I can (sort of) remember at No Fun...

Will absolutely hit you up for both the next time we're in town.  In pre-Covid times, we tried to get there at least once a year.
Johnny at no fun...good dude and good spot. We barely go out any more since the kids. But you're definitely hitting the right places.

We hung out in a friend's buildings communal back yard up the street last night...wine, pizza, beautiful night to watch the rats frolic.

They’re a PITA schedule-wise, but that mid-week “medium-long run” is one of the keys to successful marathon training imo.
The WFH/kids in-person schooling since labor day has been a tremendous boost to my fitness. I can do those hour 20-30 runs during the week then get to the weekend with only recovery running and backyard strength training on the docket. I am quite aware that this will likely be coming to an end soon, so I am taking advantage while I can. 

No doubt you're right.

Which is among the reasons I have no marathons on the schedule.

With Today's race I have no races scheduled, no real goals other than to get healthy for the rest of 2020.

So for 2020 I'll do more swimming, strength training, get on the bike trainer and just run another 202 miles (which puts me at 10,000 Strava miles). 

I know it's a late report, but knocked out a pretty smooth 10 miler this morning. Saw 7 deer in a group as I took a paved trail through some woods I hadn't been on in awhile. It was awesome. 35 degrees at kick off with a nice 10mph breeze coming from the east/northeast. Wore my tight pants. Everyone was talking about 'em.

After that:

Farmers Market. Getting down to the end for the year, but plenty of good stuff.

Sante Fe Cafe. Nice breakfast with my 12 year old. Knocked out some bacon, eggs, hash browns, and biscuits and gravy.

Bathroom remodel. Just spent the last 4 1/2 hours plumbing the shower drain and hanging durarock for the walls. Sheetrock will go in this week, and the tapers and mudders come in to clean it up and get it ready for paint and tile.

Now, time for a fire, a cold beer or two, and some sports on the TV. Have a good weekend gents.

:headbang:   :banned:

Running the HM in this tomorrow: http://www.dinoseries.com/tecumseh-trail-marathon/

Will be more of a long run than a 'race' but should be fun. Supposed to start storming about 2pm today with rain likely continuing through the rest of the day/night. Weather will be great for race time but the trails will likely be pretty muddy - especially since they are doing staggered starts and the HM starts last. Will probably mean I get a sloppy course by the time I get started but should be fun. 
This thing pretty much kicked my butt! Combo of not nearly enough running lately, absolutely zero trail or hill work, a decent amount of mud, rocks and roots, and a lot of single lane track and I was working way too hard! Finished the HM in about 2:45. Will give more info later. Definitely was fun and glad I did it but really let me know how far I've fallen over the last 6 months +/-. 

This thing pretty much kicked my butt! Combo of not nearly enough running lately, absolutely zero trail or hill work, a decent amount of mud, rocks and roots, and a lot of single lane track and I was working way too hard! Finished the HM in about 2:45. Will give more info later. Definitely was fun and glad I did it but really let me know how far I've fallen over the last 6 months +/-. 
Sounds amazing...nice work.

That’s a solid effort. When I did my trail run a couple of years ago, it was only 10 miles but it was wet and sloppy and rocky and a lot of elevation. I came in at 2:00, so for you to hit 2:45 with another 3 miles and little training says a lot about your talent.

Now, build on this and get off your ### and get back to work.

❤️

Sounds like a great race.  Hopefully you're enjoying a cold one right now.

I know it's a late report, but knocked out a pretty smooth 10 miler this morning. Saw 7 deer in a group as I took a paved trail through some woods I hadn't been on in awhile. It was awesome. 35 degrees at kick off with a nice 10mph breeze coming from the east/northeast. Wore my tight pants. Everyone was talking about 'em.

After that:

Farmers Market. Getting down to the end for the year, but plenty of good stuff.

Sante Fe Cafe. Nice breakfast with my 12 year old. Knocked out some bacon, eggs, hash browns, and biscuits and gravy.

Bathroom remodel. Just spent the last 4 1/2 hours plumbing the shower drain and hanging durarock for the walls. Sheetrock will go in this week, and the tapers and mudders come in to clean it up and get it ready for paint and tile.

Now, time for a fire, a cold beer or two, and some sports on the TV. Have a good weekend gents.

:headbang:   :banned:
Santa Fe Cafe?  Overland Park?

Frank Lloyd Wright *Virtual* 5k

21:40 (6:57/mi)

I'd signed up for a couple of virtual 10Ks a month ago as well as this local 5K to be completed sometime in October.  The expectation was that we'd use the local course in our village, so no clever downhill routes today (and as with the 10K, I chose not to put more miles on my Vaporflys).  This was at the end of another 50 mile week ...so much for tapering, although my heavy mileage was early in the week.  No special routines for today's race, and morning activities were fine.  Had an easy run over to the local high school to get warmed up, and the legs felt quite good.  Weather was ideal, though the roads were a bit slick from a little overnight rain.

Mile 1: 6:51 pace ...HR 157

I took off hard and immediately faced the first potential issue of traffic on a busier cross street.  One car was passing, but it was an easy swerve behind it.  Three other cross-street concerns were of no issue.  Got a half mile in and missed the first turn ...I knew it was the street, but had a momentary mind-#### about turning too early.  But going an extra short block meant that as the race went on, I was ahead of where I'd normally be, and that helped mentally.  Overall, the pace definitely was feeling hard, so I knew I'd be in pain for the upcoming miles.  I hadn't looked at my watch yet, and didn't do so for another mile.  If the pace was "too slow," I'd stress myself wanting to pick it up; if the pace was "too fast," I'd let myself off the hook and back off.  I'd normally follow HR anyway, but without hard effort HR detail, the HR wouldn't tell me much either.

Mile 2: 7:04 pace ...HR 169

After a long straight-away, a couple of turns put me on the one short incline of the course. I was relying mantras to keep myself going strong through this middle of the race where it's still too far to use the "almost there" mentality.  I also worked to relax and just let the stride carry me.  Overall, my Fenix showed my cadence in the mid 190s!  I did finally look at my watch and saw my average pace below 7:00, which was pleasing. 

Mile 3: 6:58 pace ...HR 172

Almost a half mile or so into this final mile was a turn that led to a long half mile straight-away with a small descent near the end just before the finish.  This seemed to relax me, and the stride felt really good here.  Not much local traffic, so I ran this stretch down the center of the street.  Passed a good friend (and fellow runner) who was out walking his dog...I just shouted "5K," figuring he'd figure out the context. 

Final .11: 6:36 pace ...HR 175

Made the final turn and quickly finished a block earlier than the normal race course.  Whew!

All in all, a satisfying effort.  A sub-7:00 pace was good, though hardly better than my generally downslope 10K.  But without doing intervals or hills (described by *someone* as "intervals in disguise,"), my stride isn't long and strong enough for anything better, particularly in a virtual setting.  My cadence throughout was 194.  That's a fast rotation, but again, without stride length. 

I'll admit to being a funk midweek after reading @gruecd's FB post about the likelihood of no Boston-in-April, which really wasn't a surprise.  Do I keep up this mileage commitment?  Do I let myself ease back through the upcoming winter?  I haven't resolved all that yet, but these recent months of steady, bigger mileage have been beneficial, so for now, I'll stay the course.

FUBAR said:
While others might focus on the forward lean Daniel Jones self tackle action shot, this was the one that concerned me. What is going on with your left knee in this picture?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to keep this brief but that's a tall order, imo. 

PREFACE: I'm sure some of you have noticed that I kind of fell off the face of the earth a bit. Cancelled races and a number of other bad excuses led me to run less and less since my last official race in March. The FBG challenges kept me going some but not enough and I've lost a ton in that time (as well as gained back about 15 pounds  :X ). Well about 6 weeks ago a friend of mine asked me if I would do the Tecumseh Trail Challenge HM with him. His daughter had bailed and he was probably not going to do it if I didn't. I jumped at the chance to have something to motivate me to get going again. Well, it took a couple weeks to really get me motivated so about a month ago I finally started running more than 1 time a month! I got about 70 miles in since Sept 21st so even that wasn't a ton of work but it's better than the 40 miles total I had run between June 1st and Sept 21st. 

THE RACE: To help with social distancing they spread out the start times - 50k 9 am, 6.5 miles 9:30 am, Marathon 10 am, HM 10:15 am. While this helped keep people stretched out, it kind of sucked from a traffic standpoint. Quite a bit of the race was on single lane trails with little room to pass - especially if you came to a conga line of folks in doing the marathon at a hike but this was only a problem during the first 6.5 miles or so as you will see later below.

Part 1 - About the first 2.5 miles +/- were actually all smooth sailing other than it was almost all single lane track and we were already running into some of the Marathon people (same trail X2) and the 50K people - they had about 6 miles on the short loop and about an 75 minute head start so there was a little congestion here and there but not too bad. It was a little up and down but the only real issue was a lot of tree roots and rocks in the first mile. All was dandy and I was feeling good about the day. 

Part 2 - The first hill... The family and I had previously hiked this trail a couple times up to this point but we usually go straight/turn left and follow the lake trail. This took a hard right and went straight freaking uphill and we continued going straight freaking uphill for the next 2.5 miles, luckily the steep (for me) part of it was only about a 3/8ths of mile long +/-. This was my first (but not last) hill I walked. Once that steep part mellowed out a bit, I got back to a decent pace the rest of the way up the hill. Part of this was also a horse trail and a bit muddy. I'm still doing pretty good but know it is going to be a long, long day.

Part 3 - At about the 5 mile buzz on my watch, we took a hard left off the wide trail and back into the woods for single lane hiking trail that went down rather quickly with a lot of twists and turns. Not much of a chance to enjoy the view here as it was quite technical. Once down at the bottom for a little bit of flat ground and a chance to relax a little, that was followed by a solid uphill with a few more twists and turns and, at one point, a rather lengthy conga line of people. After the uphill came another fairly steep downhill with some twists and turns but then opened up to the road and around the south end of the lake/damn, up through a parking lot/road and across the main road into the park. We are a little over 7 miles in and the trip up the road is the beginning of hell!

Part 4 - After crossing the main road that goes through the park/forestry, you are on a winding path that felt like it went uphill for the rest of the way. That isn't quite true but it might as well have been! Most of the downhill sections were either twisty paths, full of rocks and roots or both. With thighs and calves that were starting to scream a bit, every step after about mile 8 was starting to be a chore. I originally had dreams of trying to be somewhere around 2:15 or maybe a little less if I was lucky. Every hill I hit on the back section set that goal further and further back. Mile 11 had a big ol' hill that I hoped would be the last one. Mile 12 was downhill and about as slow as climbing up. Mile 13 had what was really the last hill and a huge PITA. Mile 13 was a 16+ minute mile. Somewhere in there my calves tried to cramp up a bit but I was able to fend that off. 13 ended with a downhill, the sound of people and the finish being "close". It also came back down to flat ground on a nice smooth, wide path. I picked up the pace a bit, passed several people but kept waiting on it to end. It finally did much later than I wanted!

Official time: 2:45:12, 52 of 144 overall, 7 of 19 in my AG. 

Fun note - watch registered 1683 feet of elevation change. A drop in the bucket for the @Zasada's and @SFBayDuck's of the world but a crapton for me. In March I ran right at 100 miles total, including several trail training runs and a trail HM+. For that entire month I only did about 2100 feet of elevation gain. 

Definitely a chore to finish but fun times. Now to just keep my butt moving and get back into shape before I have to go find my fat clothes from last year or so!

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, it wasn't until yesterday that I learned that flyby's are turned off in strava unless you explicitly turn them on in options. That totally sucks. One of the most fun parts of strava is viewing the flyby of a big event and seeing all the people running near you. I re-enabled mine but there's only a handful of people on it. Such a bummer!

By the way, it wasn't until yesterday that I learned that flyby's are turned off in strava unless you explicitly turn them on in options. That totally sucks. One of the most fun parts of strava is viewing the flyby of a big event and seeing all the people running near you. I re-enabled mine but there's only a handful of people on it. Such a bummer!
Agreed. Prob too many hotties getting creeped on by weirdo internet dudes, but still...

While others might focus on the forward lean Daniel Jones self tackle action shot, this was the one that concerned me. What is going on with your left knee in this picture?
:shrug: no idea. This was in the home stretch so it was probably telling me to STOP

gruecd said:
Agreed. Prob too many hotties getting creeped on by weirdo internet dudes, but still...
Yeah, I think it makes sense. You're giving up privacy already with the GPS but it's a little better without the flyby.

Sign up for another race. Right now. Some don't need that as a carrot for continuing to move, but clearly you do. Considering your current fitness, great job Saturday. GREAT job.
:goodposting:

A couple weeks from now I'm going to help pace a friend doing her first Marathon. She signed up to do the Monumental this year and is still going to run a marathon that day. No way I can do the whole thing with her but she has mapped out her path up and down the Monon to have people run in "shifts" with her. I'm going to do that for a section or 2 and then also am about to sign up for a winter XC series of 5ks that I've done with a couple friends the last couple of winters. That will give me something to keep myself moving at least. 

Users who are viewing this thread