What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (15 Viewers)

Big day today. Knocked out 7 miles this morning, with the goal to hit 140 on the HR. Ended up at 145. So I'll take it, but not sure I can go much lower than that unless I walk.  But I need to get my act together and just start running again. One day at a time. Afterwords:

Farmers Market: lots of good stuff still available. The last weekend is the Saturday before Thanksgiving, so the offerings will get limited, weather permitting. Gotta enjoy it while we can.

Grocery Store for peanut oil.

The Real Quik Trip for a big phat coke.

McD's breakfast burrito

Pharmacy for the stomach drugs

Also hit Home Depot this morning to look at shovels during the middle of my run. After that relief was able to complete the run with ease. This afternoon will be:

Hanging sheetrock

Mowing

Weed eating

Leaf clean up

Setting up for Halloween

Fire pit

Pot of Chili

World Famous French Fries

Roast hot dogs

Drink beer

Hand out candy

Boo-yah! Happy Halloween gentlemen!!  :towelwave:

Question for you peeps - would there be any interest in doing something like this relay?  I know the Midwest crew pulled off some epicness, and this is a lot closer for some of us East Coasters and looks like a really cool course for history buffs.  I found it a few years ago and tried to drum up support at work, but my running coworkers are lame apparently.  I doubt 2021 goes off, but maybe 2022.
I would say yes in a heartbeat but I can't take a weekend off in late April due to work.  If the race gets bumped to May or the fall, I would definitely be in.

Look at me!  New monthly mileage PR (418km/260mi)!
Man, aided by the 5 Saturdays, I was all excited that I hit a PR of 136mi this month.   :kicksrock:

Beautiful day to run here, though - mid 40s and sunny.  Was going to do 10-12, but at about 8 miles I realized I'd miscalculated and the shortest way home would put me around 12.5, so figured I might as well do 13.1 to get ready for the ChiefD Invitational in 3 weeks.  Laid some blocks for a patio and carved the pumpkin just in time for the trick or treaters.

Dr_Zaius said:
Question for you peeps - would there be any interest in doing something like this relay?  I know the Midwest crew pulled off some epicness, and this is a lot closer for some of us East Coasters and looks like a really cool course for history buffs.  I found it a few years ago and tried to drum up support at work, but my running coworkers are lame apparently.  I doubt 2021 goes off, but maybe 2022.
Looks like fun. 2022 seems like a long way away but could provide the time needed to plan for this thing.

gruecd said:
Heading out in a bit with my buddy for a hilly 15-mile trail run. It’ll be slow, but that’s ok; I just wanna get some vert in my legs for the 50K in a couple weeks. I’ll do a shorter, faster trail run on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Temps in the low 30s. Tights, no shorts. Like a real man. 
Run was nice yesterday.  Slow (10:47/mile) as I expected, but still a good effort with technical terrain and over 1,400 feet of gain.

Today is shaping up to be a treadmill day with sustained 25mph winds and gusts up to 45mph.  

Run was nice yesterday.  Slow (10:47/mile) as I expected, but still a good effort with technical terrain and over 1,400 feet of gain.

Today is shaping up to be a treadmill day with sustained 25mph winds and gusts up to 45mph.  
Real men don't wear shorts over tights...but run on a treadmill when it's a little breezy?

(FTR, I'm not a real man for a variety of reasons)

Real men don't wear shorts over tights...but run on a treadmill when it's a little breezy?
No, when it's "a little breezy," they don't.  But they do when it's windy AF, it's just an easy recovery run, and they don't wanna work extra hard because it would defeat the purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
NYC marathon day. Saw a handful of folk wearing bibs and running, I guess, a marathon distance (clearly not the course)...made sure to cheer each one. Pretty windy and mild in the mid 50s- the wind would've made this a tougher race day, imo. 

Did a 7+ recovery (still too fast), started by running to my early voting location and voted. No line. Felt good to get that done. Ran up to the UN for some kind of symbolism. It also appears I only grimace for selfies.

No, when it's "a little breezy," they don't.  But they do when it's windy AF, it's just an easy recovery run, and they don't wanna work extra hard because it would defeat the purpose.
I give grue as much #### as anyone when it comes to weather, but he's right about this. Us bigger people are more effected by the elements, so a recovery run can't exist when the wind is howling like that. This is why I scheduled a rest day today. 

I give grue as much #### as anyone when it comes to weather, but he's right about this. Us bigger people are more effected by the elements, so a recovery run can't exist when the wind is howling like that. This is why I scheduled a rest day today. 
Sundays are designated for runs with my wife, where it is her longest/slower run of the week.  We had 7 miles on the docket with 25 mph wind and 35 mph gusts.

I planned out a route where we basically ran into the wind for the first half and then had it more-or-less going with us on the back half.  From the very first turn into the wind I knew I was in some trouble with how my wife felt about this outing  :oldunsure:   By the end of the "into the wind" section of the run, I am fairly sure my wife was having thoughts on ways to make me pay for "forcing" her to go out in this stuff .

Fortunately, the back half was much smoother and I had a fun run in the elements.  But, I may be sleeping on the couch tonight.

Us scrawny guys get pushed around by the wind, too!

With wind I always try to run with the wind as a cross wind. So for a north or south wind, I usually run east/west and make my turnarounds short. 

I then run on the side of the road where the wind is coming from. So if the wind is coming from the north, I run on the north side of the road. That way I can use the houses and commercial buildings on that side as a wind block. Works really well.

With wind I always try to run with the wind as a cross wind. So for a north or south wind, I usually run east/west and make my turnarounds short. 

I then run on the side of the road where the wind is coming from. So if the wind is coming from the north, I run on the north side of the road. That way I can use the houses and commercial buildings on that side as a wind block. Works really well.
In communist NYC, wind always against you.

Which seems kind of true. Wind always whips around blocks so it can feel like there's always a headwind. also...this method sounds great, but doesn't work on a narrow island.

Finished my trail 50k ultra.  My lord it was tough.  

First, i don’t run trails so my road shoes and my wimpy ankles made me timid.

It had over 5,500 feet of elevation.  I know that’s a speed bump to Duck but it was tons of ups and downs for what I’m used to. My quads are destroyed.

I’ll do a RR later.  

Probably a good thing that the Monumental was cancelled. It's going to be waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to hot for @gruecd out there this coming Saturday. Low of like 50, high of 70 on Saturday. He would have melted. ;)

Probably a good thing that the Monumental was cancelled. It's going to be waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to hot for @gruecd out there this coming Saturday. Low of like 50, high of 70 on Saturday. He would have melted. ;)
For some stupid reason I'd gotten it in my head that it was supposed to be this past Saturday.  You're right.  Looking like temps around 50° at the 8am scheduled start and 60° when I'd ideally be finishing around 11am.  I'd be fine with that weather for a spring or summer marathon.  Not in November.

For some stupid reason I'd gotten it in my head that it was supposed to be this past Saturday.  You're right.  Looking like temps around 50° at the 8am scheduled start and 60° when I'd ideally be finishing around 11am.  I'd be fine with that weather for a spring or summer marathon.  Not in November.
Friend of mine is doing it "virtually" on Saturday. I'm running a 10 mile section with her starting about 9:30. She's running a lot of it on the Monon on the north side - i.e. will be part of the Carmel marathon course. 

Haven't posted much in here over the years again...as Im really not planning any races (though that may change soon).  Start of Covid, actually back in January, had a realization that I had let myself get fat again.  Used a few injuries as excuses...along with my own depression and eating and drinking more than I should to cope with that.  So I decided to do better.  Started in lent giving up chips and fried food and hard liquor.  Continued on the mostly no chips thing or fried foods after that and started eating a bit better and slowly got back out hitting the pavement again.  When Covid started...everyone home all the time...I got to really enjoying my runs as a time out of the house for just me and that has continued.  In addition I took the time I had not having to run all over from school to school for the kids to eat better.  Not just grab whatever was quick and convenient.

Did well through much of summer but was just sort of going through motions...had dropped just under 10 pounds...but pacing and HR was not where Id like it to be on any of these runs (freaking humidity was no help of course).  Then a couple friends, after we had been trout fishing, decided we would put some money into the pot for a weight loss challenge.  Money plus bragging rights over these 2 guys was a good motivation.  Sort of that goal like a race would be.  Runs got better...ate even better.  And now cooler weather is definitely helping that.  I crushed them in the 12 week weight loss (24 pounds in 12 weeks)...back close to where I was when I ran a marathon 8 years ago (with so much help from those of you in this thread).  And a big part of winning that thing was being able to get out and enjoy the exercise.  As my weight dropped and I felt better running...I enjoyed it more.  So instead of struggling and slogging through 3 hot miles...I was pushing out to 5-6 miles even in the heat.  Finishing up the contest running a 27 mile week (usually running 4 days a week now) and really loving being out there on the roads.

So now, without that goal of the contest I have to set my own goals of losing a few more lbs...and maintaining all of this...and am looking ahead and contemplating a race...probably just a half marathon.  Still having some calf soreness that comes and goes...and my knees are not what they used to be.  But if all goes well...may even give a marathon another shot in the next year.

I'm gonna give that month of October a handful of #### yeah's. Although I should have done a 7 minute cool down Saturday to achieve one meaningless, arbitrary goal.

199.3 miles - most since March (but why didn't I run another 0.7 miles)

6,805' elevation - most since June

3 consecutive weeks of 45+ miles - first time since April

4 runs > 10 miles - first time since May

Resting heart rate consistently around 50 (on non-drinking days) - back near July's normals

Averaged > 8 hours exercise/week - first time since March

---

I took yesterday off and won't do much today, but looking at this I think I'm really going to press some mileage through next Tuesday then I'll start to look for something to race between the 14th and thanksgiving. 

This is how you know you're in a good place. Congrats.
Thanks...yeah...have that sort of itch to have a pacing goal...and really the itch for that race day excitement and atmosphere (even with different restrictions due to the pandemic).  

Mostly just happy to even think of that distance again and being able to work some pacing runs and intervals in again.

Hey all, have a Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire brand new, never been used up for grabs. I've had it out of the box but never set it up, got an Apple watch that fit my needs better and with my Garmin bike computers didn't need the watch. I'll let it go for $300. Interested? PM me.

Hope we dont have to see that cowboy yabo around for a while.

Did some bridge "hill" repeats this morning on still tired legs from the weekend. We must have that wind Gru had the other day...it was howling on the bridge, and right into my face on the climbs (which I like...if I'm going to suffer, let's suffer) . Pushed the pace on the short climbs and am definitely feeling it. 15 min Bike commute to the office hurt...especially into the wind.

I stayed up too late last night watching... Couldn't get up at 6 for my run.

Wish I had. Just a gorgeous morning here and I could use some destressing.
I tapped out around midnight once new news started grinding to a hault. Kids are remote learning today, so I knew sleeping in was on the table. Just hope my wife gets home early enough so I can run before dark. 

Went to bed at normal time (very early by average Joe standards) but woke up at 0100 and stewed for two hours.

Wasn't a planned run day, so I did PT.  And then proceeded to eat handfuls of leftover Halloween candy (at 0600).

At least my vice is sugar and not booze.

Anyone dipped their head in the politics forum this morning?

Went to bed at normal time (very early by average Joe standards) but woke up at 0100 and stewed for two hours.

Wasn't a planned run day, so I did PT.  And then proceeded to eat handfuls of leftover Halloween candy (at 0600).

At least my vice is sugar and not booze.

Anyone dipped their head in the politics forum this morning?
Been keeping a close eye.  Biden taking WI and MI; should end up with NV and AZ.  That's a very narrow win for Joe.  But he should also take PA, eventually, and has a shot in GA and NC.  It's all about the late counting now, which is mainly mail-in and big cities, both of which favor Biden.

No point in making plans for 2021 right now given all of the uncertainty, so we'll tentatively say 2022 with an audible option for 2021 if things happen to break that way.  It's a twelve man team, and if I've tallied properly I have:

Probables (7) : gianmarco, chiefD, tri-man, juxt, bushdocda, Zasada (2022), Dr_Z

Intrigued / Subscribing to Newsletter (3) : El Floppo, mac, FUBAR

Interested but specific date doesn't work (1) : SteelCurtain

No point in making plans for 2021 right now given all of the uncertainty, so we'll tentatively say 2022 with an audible option for 2021 if things happen to break that way.  It's a twelve man team, and if I've tallied properly I have:

Probables (7) : gianmarco, chiefD, tri-man, juxt, bushdocda, Zasada (2022), Dr_Z

Intrigued / Subscribing to Newsletter (3) : El Floppo, mac, FUBAR

Interested but specific date doesn't work (1) : SteelCurtain
If it is for 2022 I am Intrigued / Subscribing to Newsletter.

@gruecd, assuming Jones is out tonight, who gets the carries?  I'm really thin at RB2 and thinking about Ervin.

@gruecd, assuming Jones is out tonight, who gets the carries?  I'm really thin at RB2 and thinking about Ervin.
Highly doubt Jones plays, and fully expect Rodgers to throw the ball until his arm falls off.  Basically the short passing game will become the running game.  When they do run, I'd imagine it'll be a mix of Ervin and Dexter Williams (with maybe a dash of John Lovett), but I don't know that I'd start any of them.  Rodgers might have 60 pass attempts.

Users who are viewing this thread