What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

My recovery run this am was tough. Legs felt worked over...I think more the cold than previous workouts. Also messed up my pacing...went fast to slow instead to the other way around.

Any of y’all had COVID yet?  Yeah I’m too lazy to look back in the thread.   I’ve had probably my best 6-8 weeks or running in years.  Woke up Tuesday with a fever and achy legs.  Got tested first thing that morning and I was negative.

Last night had a bit of nausea and decided to get tested again today before I went back to work and was positive. 

I feel ok, like probably 75%.  I think the worst part is over.  I could go run if I wanted too.  I feel like if I wake up in the morning and put on my running gear my wife will shoot me!  

How long did you take off of running if you had it?  I don’t mind taking off a few days...but quarantine is 14 day.  I don’t see not running for 2 weeks.  

Any of y’all had COVID yet?  Yeah I’m too lazy to look back in the thread.   I’ve had probably my best 6-8 weeks or running in years.  Woke up Tuesday with a fever and achy legs.  Got tested first thing that morning and I was negative.

Last night had a bit of nausea and decided to get tested again today before I went back to work and was positive. 

I feel ok, like probably 75%.  I think the worst part is over.  I could go run if I wanted too.  I feel like if I wake up in the morning and put on my running gear my wife will shoot me!  

How long did you take off of running if you had it?  I don’t mind taking off a few days...but quarantine is 14 day.  I don’t see not running for 2 weeks.  
Do you run somewhere where you don't have to come across other people? Go for it, if so...if you're feeling up to it, imo.

If not...don't be that guy.

Our resident gyno just got his bad news delivered this week. You two can rehab together. 

Friend of mine got it early Nov. According to strava he was off 11 days. He didn't find out he was positive immediately, so I'm guessing it was 8 or 9 days after getting the results of the test. He lost taste, but only mild symptoms otherwise. He said his first run back was ####### miserable, but the 2nd and 3rd went much better and he's been fine since. 

Please remind me that I’m a ##### if I ever give anyone a hard time about cold weather. 39 degrees this morning, and I almost died. My hands just cannot stay warm. 2 pairs of gloves and by mile 3 I was in excruciating pain. After the run, my hands were bright red almost purple, and I couldn’t move them. The warming up process hurt twice as much as the freezing part. I have something wrong with me.
I think @ChiefD has a word for it, starts with a P, something, something say? Can't quite remember? Lil' help from the gallery please, TIA

I don’t ever have anyone around when I run, that won’t be a problem.  Don’t want to have a major set back either.  Thinking this needs to be treated like a common cold or any other illness.  Didn’t know if anyone had direct experience with it.  

I’ll update accordingly.

Active case here. Sorry bud but glad you’re feeling pretty ok and hope it continues to be mild.  

My timeline has been somewhat long already with Monday 11/23 feeling start of a cold and sore body, growing sore throat that by Wednesday was raging and not much relief from OTC med cabinet.  Got a test Friday and result Tuesday.  Worst was sinus headache type thing on Tuesday that has subsided and now I’m feeling better and doing less overdosing on dayquill/theraflu/Advil/Tylenol.  Fam is lagging me a few days but have milder symptoms or they are tougher 😃.  We appear to be on the right track to recovery.

We’re staying quarantined until probably a week from Saturday and I’ll be very cautious on returning to runs particularly with the cold air.  So not sure when I’ll be back to it.  

Good training weekday week in the books. Couple recoveries, a wburgh bridge hill repeat, with the last one turning into a fast 4th mile, and 1/4m intervals this morning. 4 weekday runs is solid for me- usually do 2 or 3.

I'd love to up my recovery mileage and get my speed work...speedier. its slowly getting there as my fitness has come back, but I feel like I kind of top out in the low 6s for pace.

Any tips to getting faster? 

Good training weekday week in the books. Couple recoveries, a wburgh bridge hill repeat, with the last one turning into a fast 4th mile, and 1/4m intervals this morning. 4 weekday runs is solid for me- usually do 2 or 3.

I'd love to up my recovery mileage and get my speed work...speedier. its slowly getting there as my fitness has come back, but I feel like I kind of top out in the low 6s for pace.

Are you on strava? 

Your Strava profile says you’re averaging 26 miles a week. You’ll get faster over time if you can increase your volume without getting hurt.

Your Strava profile says you’re averaging 26 miles a week. You’ll get faster over time if you can increase your volume without getting hurt.
Thanks.

That number sounds rightish. Usually try to run twice on weekend- 7+/- & 12+/-...a little less than 20 total, and then a couple of time during the week at 4ish per. 

If I can keep the 4x weekday runs going, that pushes me into the 30s without adding mileage to those runs. As mentioned above, I'd like to make those 4m recoveries midweek more like 6-8...or longer. Just means waking up earlier.

I also bike commute to and from work every dayi...about 30mins total. It's not racing, but I sweat a little and the legs get good and loose.

This.  I did a ton (for me) of slow running in Jan-Apr.  Very little fast running.  And then (unofficially) PR'd my 5K and 10K.

Many here will say "run slow to run fast", and it seemed to work for me.

...but this is the right first answer. I don't think there's a magic bullet number, but anecdotally I noticed my first level-up once I was consistently > 30 and my second once > 40.

This.  I did a ton (for me) of slow running in Jan-Apr.  Very little fast running.  And then (unofficially) PR'd my 5K and 10K.

He has a nice mix of slow running with some faster stuff. I think his plan above is solid.

Thanks.

That number sounds rightish. Usually try to run twice on weekend- 7+/- & 12+/-...a little less than 20 total, and then a couple of time during the week at 4ish per. 

If I can keep the 4x weekday runs going, that pushes me into the 30s without adding mileage to those runs. As mentioned above, I'd like to make those 4m recoveries midweek more like 6-8...or longer. Just means waking up earlier.

I also bike commute to and from work every dayi...about 30mins total. It's not racing, but I sweat a little and the legs get good and loose.
Just getting it to 3-4x during the weekdays will get you to 30, like you said. After a bit, bump a couple of those runs during the week to 6-7 miles and you'll be at 40 in no time. Once you get settled into that groove, turn 1 or 2 of those into some pace and then you'll be a stud.

Yup.  This is the answer.  

I’m starting to come back from my glute injury and starting to build myself back with lots of slow running.  This will be my 4th straight week of 50+ miles.  

Not ready to try to work any speed into the rotation as I still feel the glute bark a little on the uphills.

Lots of slow easy miles will lead to a strong base and magical ability to run faster.  

focusing on a fall 2021 marathon and will ramp up a formal training plan once I have confidence a race will happen.

45 and pouring rain. But I'm up...so I guess I'll head out.

I don't have a rain shell (probably run in a t and arm warmers)...what do you guys use?

I don't have a rain shell (probably run in a t and arm warmers)...what do you guys use?
I’m 90 miles north of you and I’ll wait until it stops or there is an real.  It’s much more coastal so that may not be an option.

also, be ready for some wind too.

In this weather, long sleeve shirt and very light shell.  And shirts.  And baseball cap.

I’m 90 miles north of you and I’ll wait until it stops or there is an real.  It’s much more coastal so that may not be an option.

also, be ready for some wind too.

In this weather, long sleeve shirt and very light shell.  And shirts.  And baseball cap.
Thanks. Where are you again? Anywhere near new paltz? Used to do tri training up there occasionally- gorgeous area.

The shells I have aren't terribly waterproof...better for wind or light rain, and waterlogged in real downpours like this. The arm warmers seem to work best of the gear I own in the rain.

I've got a busy day starting at 9, so there's no waiting unfortunately. Tomorrow looks nice at least. Im running our slow 7+ m pickle with my pals tomorrow.. I'll switch it up go shorter today and add faster miles at the end tomorrow.

Notice that I'm writing instead of running....

Ok dammit. I'm off.

It was wet. It was windy. 8+.

Arm warmers and t were just about right...a little light.

The mile back over the manhattan bridge was rough into the wind and up high. The last mile on the east river was rougher..felt like I was in a buster keaton silent movie..."man leaning against and swearing at wind".

Eta....where Id normally see upwards of 100+ runners, I only saw 2 other people out there running. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Covid update.  @bushdocda and @jb1020 - how are you guys feeling? Thinking about you and hoping you are feeling ok.
Hey GB, we’ve kept on an improving trajectory as we hoped. Wife still has no taste/smell but sore throat has improved. Daughter is moving through the home mainly via cartwheel again so that nice to see. Son is still no symptoms. I am feeling better daily and starting to get bored so that’s a good sign. I’ll putz around the yard for awhile today and take a nap. So I’m basically turning into our dog. 

Ugh.  Sucks to read that a few of you have/had the COVID.  The last month had been bonkers in terms of number of people I know that have tested positive.  Thankfully no deaths, though a few hospitalizations.  I had only known a handful of people over the prior five months with a  positive test.

My experience with COVID lasted longer than hoped.  The fever/headache/fatigue/body aches/no taste/smell were prevalent for ~10 days, but beyond that once feeling “better” I dealt with a heart rate that was 20 beats per minute higher than normal at all times.  Sleeping?  Normally low 40s to 60.  Post-COVID?  Low 60s to 85.   After 4 weeks of that I was concerned enough that I called my buddy whom is a cardiologist.  He said to give it another week or two, but with no further change that he’s do an Echo and 24 hour monitoring.  Thankfully the heart rate slowly but gradually fell back into normal ranges during that timeframe and I feel reasonably well now.  My wife trailed me on all symptoms by a few days, though she avoided the wonky heart rate stuff.  I’d say not to paralyze yourself about COVID, but also do what you can to avoid the odds of getting it.  Hope you and your families are all well.  

In the process of trying to change some life habits including finding more time for fitness.  Hasn’t been easy, and something I struggle with daily.  I’d love to hear any tips, tricks, lifecycle changes, etc that may aid in making better habits stick. 

I’d love to hear any tips, tricks, lifecycle changes, etc that may aid in making better habits stick. 
Get laid off from your job due to covid and hide out in MD for a few months with not much else to do for yourself but run.

Or maybe that was just me.

As somebody with a history of fitness (serious soccer, for fun triathlons), I'd never really had to focus on just running- the sport or other training provided much of it. In times when I haven't had something else to run forbas I got older, it would never stick past a month or so. I'm trying to buck that trend now. 

For now, getting proper sleep so I can wake up early and get out and go has been the key. I'm usually a night owl, so this goes against my normal habits...but again, Covid and nothing to do nowhere to go at night has helped.

Get laid off from your job due to covid and hide out in MD for a few months with not much else to do for yourself but run.

Or maybe that was just me.

As somebody with a history of fitness (serious soccer, for fun triathlons), I'd never really had to focus on just running- the sport or other training provided much of it. In times when I haven't had something else to run forbas I got older, it would never stick past a month or so. I'm trying to buck that trend now. 

For now, getting proper sleep so I can wake up early and get out and go has been the key. I'm usually a night owl, so this goes against my normal habits...but again, Covid and nothing to do nowhere to go at night has helped.
Oh man, that sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  But honestly, getting laid off would probably help me immensely as my job is the biggest time suck along with far and away the biggest stressor in my life.

I’m just a total fraud as it relates to running.  So I’m trying to figure out what I need to alter in terms of habits, mental approach, etc to change that.  I’d like to become a runner.

Covid update.  @bushdocda and @jb1020 - how are you guys feeling? Thinking about you and hoping you are feeling ok.
Feeling much better.  Pretty much just had a constant headache and a few body aches, otherwise it’s just been a head cold.  Smell and taste went away today.  Persistent cough too, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as coughs go.

Don’t feel like trying to tackle a run yet, hoping Monday.  

I’ve slept more than I ever have the last few days.  

Wife just got a test and it was negative.  Not sure how. 

Ugh.  Sucks to read that a few of you have/had the COVID.  The last month had been bonkers in terms of number of people I know that have tested positive.  Thankfully no deaths, though a few hospitalizations.  I had only known a handful of people over the prior five months with a  positive test.

My experience with COVID lasted longer than hoped.  The fever/headache/fatigue/body aches/no taste/smell were prevalent for ~10 days, but beyond that once feeling “better” I dealt with a heart rate that was 20 beats per minute higher than normal at all times.  Sleeping?  Normally low 40s to 60.  Post-COVID?  Low 60s to 85.   After 4 weeks of that I was concerned enough that I called my buddy whom is a cardiologist.  He said to give it another week or two, but with no further change that he’s do an Echo and 24 hour monitoring.  Thankfully the heart rate slowly but gradually fell back into normal ranges during that timeframe and I feel reasonably well now.  My wife trailed me on all symptoms by a few days, though she avoided the wonky heart rate stuff.  I’d say not to paralyze yourself about COVID, but also do what you can to avoid the odds of getting it.  Hope you and your families are all well.  

In the process of trying to change some life habits including finding more time for fitness.  Hasn’t been easy, and something I struggle with daily.  I’d love to hear any tips, tricks, lifecycle changes, etc that may aid in making better habits stick. 

Thanks for sharing your experience SW?. I’ve been trying to research this for some guidelines to follow and it’s just so new and scary.  This article that is missed if it had been shared here is what I’m taking to heart and I am excited to eventually take it slow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/well/move/exercise-covid-recovery-complications-clots-heart-lungs.html

By the way, worth noting for those of you that have had or have COVID.  Please sign up to donate plasma, which I believe you can do once you’re 14 days symptom free. Just like donating blood, a plasma donation can and does save lives.  The plasma with your antibodies is used to treat COVID patients with severe symptoms.  It takes about an hour is all, and you can donate up to 8 times in the first three months since they basically withdraw your blood, remove the plasma, and return the blood to your body.  Something positive that us COVID lepers can do that costs no money. :thumbup:  

Just asked this in gmtan, so I'll ask here too...

Any of you people still play magic football?

I got a trade offer in my dynasty league involving future draft picks and on paper it seems promising. Just need some advises.

I'll show my rooster to any and all takers 

Just asked this in gmtan, so I'll ask here too...

Any of you people still play magic football?

I got a trade offer in my dynasty league involving future draft picks and on paper it seems promising. Just need some advises.

I'll show my rooster to any and all takers 
I'm only around for a few mins, but fire away. 

I’m still 85% confident I had CV back in late Jan early Feb. My family have been tested multiple times since March and we have been negative each time.  Looking forward to a reliable antibody test. 

We keep 26 players out of 31...5 rounds of drafting, first two are all rookies. I'm usually picking towards the back of the 1st and 2nd rounds, so rarely get a shot at the top RBs.

I like CEH, but I think he's been over priced since he was drafted. I'd pass, but I endorse pursuing JuJu. 

We keep 26 players out of 31...5 rounds of drafting, first two are all rookies. I'm usually picking towards the back of the 1st and 2nd rounds, so rarely get a shot at the top RBs.
My RBs of note... connor, mixon, d harris, gaskins, dillon ,adp pollard, bernard

WRs...Adams, Bhopkins, cooks, perriman, clayton, kirk

Oh man, that sucks.  Sorry to hear that.  But honestly, getting laid off would probably help me immensely as my job is the biggest time suck along with far and away the biggest stressor in my life.

I’m just a total fraud as it relates to running.  So I’m trying to figure out what I need to alter in terms of habits, mental approach, etc to change that.  I’d like to become a runner.
Doing the work at home thing during the initial covid spike really got me going, 2-3 months of regular exercise really changed my daily habits.  With 3 young kids and now a puppy I'd say the biggest thing that's helped me is telling my wife I need to do this, I need this for my mental health and the physical benefits are a bonus.  Having a peloton in the house has also helped for when I just can't get away for a run or the weather is awful outside.

Users who are viewing this thread