What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (9 Viewers)

Woke up shivering and miserable, though the thermostat indicated 73 degrees.  Then I puked and puked and puked.

Now, I have something in the drawer of my end table that is known worldwide for its efficacy in treating nausea. But it was 6 AM on a Monday, which gives one pause.

I said "pause," not "stop."

Then I went to the gym, and now I'm (mostly) working. Come at me, bro  :boxing:

Is Joe trolling the board? He started a thread about Che Guevara and said not to talk about politics in it. 
to be fair- the thread isn't "about" che guevara- it's about whether you know who he is. I figured it was joe trying to get to the bottom of most important questions of the 21st century- whether people have been buying the t-shirt as a political or fashion statement. sometimes, ceci n'est pas une pipe.

Went to a celebration of life for my friend's dad yesterday.   Beautiful day, great spot on the water.   His kids and old friends told a bunch of stories, and everyone generally had a good time...until they got home and found out someone robbed them during the event.   Apparently people go through obituaries, figure out when families will be at a memorial, and then go rob their houses.   Unbelievable scumbags.   

Went to a celebration of life for my friend's dad yesterday.   Beautiful day, great spot on the water.   His kids and old friends told a bunch of stories, and everyone generally had a good time...until they got home and found out someone robbed them during the event.   Apparently people go through obituaries, figure out when families will be at a memorial, and then go rob their houses.   Unbelievable scumbags.   
WTF is wrong with people.  

god dammit.

Yuck. Pro athletes are vulnerable to these kind of shenannigans, too.

In another major upset, I'm at the bar again. Tonight's band is called Freeze Frame, which should tell you all you need to know. Gonna be a tough slog tonight. 

Information on Freeze Frame

A freeze frame is a still image taken from a piece of moving video - perhaps the most famous one is Judd Nelson with his fist in the air at the end of The Breakfast Club. In this song, the singer recounts a memorable week with a lovely lady through the use of film production metaphors. 

It was a rough cut Tuesday - A "rough cut" is an early version of the work, often without details like graphics or music. It's what you look at to get a basic idea of how it's going to turn out.

Thursday morning was a hot flash factor - Not really a film term, but a "hot flash" could be a burst of light used to capture a still image. It shows that the singer is warming up to the girl.

Friday night we danced the spotlight grind - We all know what a spotlight is, and we can assume that things worked out well if he did the "spotlight grind."

Now I'm looking at a flashback Sunday - A flashback is a device where you go back in time to see something that happened earlier. He probably can't stop flashing back to his spotlight grind.

There are other film terms in the song as well, including "zoom lens" and "proof sheet." It's all a clever way of describing an interesting week.

This song was written by J. Geils Band lead singer Peter Wolf and keyboard player Seth Justman, who also produced the album. Wolf brought an energy and swagger to the songs he worked on, while Justman was often the creative engine, specializing in various keyboard sounds.

Justman joined the band a few years after they formed, adding piano and organ to their mix, and quickly becoming a primary songwriter. The group was one of the first rock bands to emerge from Boston, with a sound that also incorporated blues and soul. Throughout the '70s, they earned widespread acclaim but just modest chart success, with their most successful song the 1974 track "Must Of Got Lost," which made #12 US.

In the '80s, keyboards came into vogue, which was perfect for Justman. His song "Centerfold" was the first single from the Freeze Frame album, and a monster hit, going to US #1 in February 1982 and staying for six weeks. "Freeze-Frame" was the next single, and it peaked at #4 in April. In March, Peter Wolf was on the cover of Rolling Stone (sharing space with the subhead: "Herpes, The Pill, VD: Why Sex Isn't Fun Anymore"). They went from club gigs to arenas, opening for The Rolling Stones. The fame was sudden, and few outside of Boston knew that the band had been around since 1967.

Many bands hate doing videos because they are so tedious, but in the early '80s, they were usually shot quickly with just a loose concept. In this one, the fun the band was having was real. Peter Wolf told Goldmine in 1983: "By the time an album is finished, there's less pressure on you and the video serves as a kind of release. Hence, us throwing paint all over each other in the 'Freeze Frame' video."

It also helped that they had a sympathetic director: Paul Justman, brother of the band's keyboard player Seth. He also directed the J. Geils videos for "Centerfold" and "Land of 1,000 Dances." Perhaps Paul helped out with the film references in the lyric.

Unlike most hit songs, there's not much to the chorus in this one - it's basically Peter Wolf yelling "Freeze Frame" and the band calling it back. Each chorus lasts about 10 seconds. The hook is in the keyboard riff, and the sparse chorus leaves lots of time to develop the story in the verses.

The song has a very unusual opening, with the gang yelling "Freeze Frame," and then a series of camera clicks. Around this same time, Duran Duran's "Girls On Film" was big - that song also opened with camera sounds.

This was used in the movies Lucky Numbers (2000), Middle Men (2009) and A Few Best Men (2011). It also appeared in two episodes of The Simpsons: "Home Away from Homer" (2005) and "Homerazzi" (2007).

this happened to my wife's, sister in law's, mother.  at the funeral of her daughter.  the worst.

Our new puppy has been eating cat poop so I had to install a special cat door into our utility room that reads my cats microchip and only lets the cat in

dammit- outlook was supposed to remind me to rob your place today.
FYI - the TV is kind of old and I’ve been shopping for a new one.  It was really good 10 years ago but not so much anymore.  You can take it.  Also feel free to clean out the fridge.  I’ll probably have to throw everything out when I get home anyway 

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you doing there?  I went for JEC conference a few years ago around this time 
I’m here for work.  Having dinner right now at Le Pre Aux Clercs in the Saint-Germain district.  The steak was ok, the pepper sauce was great, the frites are amazing, the wine was pretty good and I love the atmosphere.  And the waiter speaks English and is friendly.

Unfortunately, I have to go back to the hotel and do more work soon. Waiting on people in one of our California offices to respond to an email so I can finish what I’m working on.  Due tomorrow.  I’ll be in London next week probably working even later hours.  I’m going to at least have a nice dinner every night, even if it means I’m working until midnight in my hotel afterwards.  

I will have Saturday in Paris, hopefully with no work to do, and Sunday in London.  I’m open to ideas for both cities.  I’ve seen many of the tourist spots in previous trips to both so I prefer something other than that.  People in the office have made good recommendations so far too.

I’m here for work.  Having dinner right now at Le Pre Aux Clercs in the Saint-Germain district.  The steak was ok, the pepper sauce was great, the frites are amazing, the wine was pretty good and I love the atmosphere.  And the waiter speaks English and is friendly.

Unfortunately, I have to go back to the hotel and do more work soon. Waiting on people in one of our California offices to respond to an email so I can finish what I’m working on.  Due tomorrow.  I’ll be in London next week probably working even later hours.  I’m going to at least have a nice dinner every night, even if it means I’m working until midnight in my hotel afterwards.  

I will have Saturday in Paris, hopefully with no work to do, and Sunday in London.  I’m open to ideas for both cities.  I’ve seen many of the tourist spots in previous trips to both so I prefer something other than that.  People in the office have made good recommendations so far too.
eat here

I hate the insurance and health care industries with the heat of a 1000 suns.  Roverkid still not admitted anywhere, despite the treatment center saying that she needed to be admitted immediately last week.  Delays in getting bloodwork, EKG's, insurance coverage, etc.

A spot in residential care opened up.  I told them to have her admitted, I don't care what the cost.   Figure out the insurance later.  Had to spend hours on the phone today getting her doctors to provide labs and EKG to the treatment center.   Still nothing.  

I hate the insurance and health care industries with the heat of a 1000 suns.  Roverkid still not admitted anywhere, despite the treatment center saying that she needed to be admitted immediately last week.  Delays in getting bloodwork, EKG's, insurance coverage, etc.

A spot in residential care opened up.  I told them to have her admitted, I don't care what the cost.   Figure out the insurance later.  Had to spend hours on the phone today getting her doctors to provide labs and EKG to the treatment center.   Still nothing.  
I'm sorry, man.  Hate every part of that industry.

Completely agree about insurance and healthcare.

I hope she gets admitted ASAP and it turns out to be the right place to help her.  I'm rooting for both of you.  She couldn't have a better dad through all of this.

Well, looks like I will have no remaining living grandparents. Grandma made it to 94 but has had a rough last couple of years and really slowed down lately. Ended up taken to the ER this evening and is having a heart attack. Doctors advised to just keep her comfortable as both her age and blood thinners make any procedures almost pointless. 

Technology is cool at least. Was able to FaceTime with her with my wife and daughter and say goodbye. Glad we got to do that, but man was it tough too.

This is going to be really hard for my dad. His younger brother died 2 years ago and he'll now be the only one left from his immediate family. Taking care of my grandma (who could be stubborn and demanding) was wearing on my parents, but I think being the last one left has to have a certain loneliness to it.

Well, looks like I will have no remaining living grandparents. Grandma made it to 94 but has had a rough last couple of years and really slowed down lately. Ended up taken to the ER this evening and is having a heart attack. Doctors advised to just keep her comfortable as both her age and blood thinners make any procedures almost pointless. 

Technology is cool at least. Was able to FaceTime with her with my wife and daughter and say goodbye. Glad we got to do that, but man was it tough too.

This is going to be really hard for my dad. His younger brother died 2 years ago and he'll now be the only one left from his immediate family. Taking care of my grandma (who could be stubborn and demanding) was wearing on my parents, but I think being the last one left has to have a certain loneliness to it.
Condolences, Grove. Happy for you that you had a goodbye moment with her. Anytime I hear something like that, I feel fortunate for the few instances where fate allowed it to take place in my life. 

-fish- said:

it might be the worst BS to have to deal with.  just awful.  i'm just a mook, down in socal, but let me know if i can help.

My condolences, GB.

Roverkid just finished packing to go to residential treatment tomorrow.   It's one of the saddest things I've ever seen.   She's cried a lot today.   I know this is the best thing I can do for her, but my heart is breaking.   
Dammit. I'm sorry. 

I know it's easy to say, "I'm here and I'll help," but I do mean it, roverfish.  I don't know what residential treatment will entail, but if she can have people in and could use more friendly faces to stop by and encourage her, I can bring my little "pew pew pew" keychain or anything else.  I'm so close by; take her out for a walk or hike, or anything really.   :heart:  roverkid.

I know it's easy to say, "I'm here and I'll help," but I do mean it, roverfish.  I don't know what residential treatment will entail, but if she can have people in and could use more friendly faces to stop by and encourage her, I can bring my little "pew pew pew" keychain or anything else.  I'm so close by; take her out for a walk or hike, or anything really.   :heart:  roverkid.
thanks.  facility is in Edmonds.   I'm learning all of the information on the fly.   at this point, all exercise is off the table as she can't spare any calories.  we'll get her back and gambling on horses soon.  

thanks.  facility is in Edmonds.   I'm learning all of the information on the fly.   at this point, all exercise is off the table as she can't spare any calories.  we'll get her back and gambling on horses soon.  
Makes sense.  I can get to the Kingston/Edmonds ferry in 15 minutes if it helps.  Just send me a FB message if I can do anything.

My condolences Grove and good luck and prayers to roverkid.

Breaks my heart when kids go through stuff like that. Hang in there, both of you.

Users who are viewing this thread