What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (11 Viewers)

Been a rough couple weeks at work where it's felt like nothing's gone right, highlighted by one of my projects 3rd denial by the city's Landmarks Preservation commission yesterday that has stalled the projects start date and upset the clients and worried my micromangey boss who wouldn't even talk to me yesterday. When I left late last night as what I thought was the last person in the office, I saw he was interviewing someone- didn't turn to acknowledge me as I left. Heart's in stomach as I fear getting canned over this. Feeling like ####- for that, and permeating my feelings about all the work I've been doing there. It's not my perfect job, but it's a good job for me...and after the last go around I don't know if there's another one as good out there at my age. :(
I have good connections in architecture in Seattle if you ever want a change of scenery.

I'm on vacation, knobs. I would promise Vegas shot videos, but MoCS has raised the bar to a level I probably can't reach.
So untrue, kev.. You can do it! 

Now, on a more serious topic, I have been to my doc twice (just got home from 2nd) since so many here gave me wonderful advice on my diabetes. 

Thank you all - it was very helpful. 

Unfortunately, it has not gone too well. She took me off metformin - and that really helped. I was able to gain a few pounds. I am still skin & bones, but not malnourished. This sux. I have not weighed this little since 8th grade - seriously. 

So - I went to a glipizide only prescription. After 2 days back on it, my hands, feet & arms went numb. Then bad pain the next day - along with foot drop .

I stopped taking the glipizide after the side effects. My numbness & pain have receded - my foot is still f'd tho. 

Looks like I won't be dancing anytime soon. 

I'm scheduled to see a neurologist & get an MRI this month. 

Since the glipizide f's me so bad, I'm also going to see a pharmacists next week (hopefully) to seek a better fit. 

My doc wants me to go to a once/day insulin injection. I don't know enough about this yet to really have a reaction. 

I was doing well with my a1c while on meds - but the side effects were too much. 

Oh well - I will make it work - I always do, but, I need to learn so much. 

Thnx fer listening. 

Now kev - TURN ON DAT CAMERA! 

😎

#### - sorry man.  No self treatment involving diet/exercise that can help instead of having to go to full on meds?
First, thanks much, urbanhack - I really appreciate it. 🖖

When I 1st got diagnosed, my blood glucose was over 700 and my a1c was over 9.  NOT GOOD!

I completely switch my diet and exercise routine, and with meds, I lowered my BG to 90 - 150 - and my a1c to 7.

Sooo - that was awesome!

However, the side effects caused such stomach pain (metformin) and body pain (glipizide) that I lost 40 pounds over the past year, and I had worse sleeping issues from the pain.

I was in great physical shape beforehand - worked out, stayed active, low body fat, etc.... - but, my sleeping issues (insomnia as long as I can remember) caused my sugar digestion to completely F up. As I understand it, by not get regular sleep, my hormone production (or whatever) got screwed too. Thus, the diabetes.

Now, when I have been off my meds - while waiting for new ones - my blood glucose is hovering around 240. Not good, but MUCH better than 700. So, my changes have made a big difference - just not enough.

I have appointments with a sleep doctor, a neurologist and a pharmacist to iron out the best way to drop about 100 more from my sugar levels. Perhaps I can avoid the insulin injections, but I absolutely need some kind of medication.

Once that is done, I can begin eating more (without messin' up my blood sugar so much) and try to gain some of my weight back. When I workout, I need at least 3500 cal/day. I was losing weight fast at 2400 cal/day (with no working out other than walking). My high metabolism has been great for most of my life - now, it has come round to bite me.

Anyways, that's the short version, and again, thanks much for the well wishes. 🙂

Is the cannabis helping you sleep?  Are you in a recreational or medical state?  I just realized I don't know much about you or where you live.  :mellow:

:stalker:

Is the cannabis helping you sleep?  Are you in a recreational or medical state?  I just realized I don't know much about you or where you live.  :mellow:

:stalker:
I live in Louisville, KY. I have all my life - except for a short stint in Lexington, KY for one year of college at UK. I then returned to Louisville - where I finished all my school work at U of L. I joined at frat at UK, and should have flunked out from partying too much, but I got a docs note to let me out with W's (withdraw) instead.

Our state is not yet medical or recreational - tho, we came close this session to passing a med bill. It got detoured, next year we should have it up, and it should pass. So, I will soon be med cleared. All my docs know my use and amount - I track it like an engineer - can't help it.

I'm at 1 gram per day - bought from family in Cali - so I know all about it, etc = 20% thc - usually. I smoke - vaping and eating don't work as well for me. The use acts mostly as a dissociate - in that it does not take my pain away, rather, it takes my mind away from the pain. Works wonders during the day - keeps me active and motivated. However, at night, when the pain is soooooo up front - with nothing to distract, the cannabis is not much help.

I have been a regular user since '88. So, I'm pretty used to functioning under the influence. It also really helps with my bipolar. Not many docs would agree with that, but I am not normal - my docs have understood how it helps me for a while now - so I get no push back.

I have ceased all other intoxicants - except for coffee/tea (YAY Coffee trips) - so, I'm pretty clean for the most part.

And, honestly, my life is FUN! I am mostly retired - so I do whatever I want - whenever I want. 

I will deal with this diabetes - I will control it - I will continue to have FUN - and, I will keep takin' Slappy out fer coffee - thnx so much for that recommendation! We both ❤️it.

Later - and thnx.

So untrue, kev.. You can do it! 

Now, on a more serious topic, I have been to my doc twice (just got home from 2nd) since so many here gave me wonderful advice on my diabetes. 

Thank you all - it was very helpful. 

Unfortunately, it has not gone too well. She took me off metformin - and that really helped. I was able to gain a few pounds. I am still skin & bones, but not malnourished. This sux. I have not weighed this little since 8th grade - seriously. 

So - I went to a glipizide only prescription. After 2 days back on it, my hands, feet & arms went numb. Then bad pain the next day - along with foot drop .

I stopped taking the glipizide after the side effects. My numbness & pain have receded - my foot is still f'd tho. 

Looks like I won't be dancing anytime soon. 

I'm scheduled to see a neurologist & get an MRI this month. 

Since the glipizide f's me so bad, I'm also going to see a pharmacists next week (hopefully) to seek a better fit. 

My doc wants me to go to a once/day insulin injection. I don't know enough about this yet to really have a reaction. 

I was doing well with my a1c while on meds - but the side effects were too much. 

Oh well - I will make it work - I always do, but, I need to learn so much. 

Thnx fer listening. 

Now kev - TURN ON DAT CAMERA! 

😎
sorry to hear man - so when does he want you to start with the insulin?  

sorry to hear man - so when does he want you to start with the insulin?  
Thnx, Bink.

It all depends on what the pharmacist recommends. I have related all the recommendations that I got here, but...my doc is older and pretty set in her ways. I love her tho - so - no issue. I just said NO to the other meds and am waiting for next step.

I should be on some type of new meds within 3 weeks. Until then, I am eating super low carb and walking after each meal as much as I can - without losing weight. It is a complicated equation that I have not yet solved.

✌️ bro...

Thnx, Bink.

It all depends on what the pharmacist recommends. I have related all the recommendations that I got here, but...my doc is older and pretty set in her ways. I love her tho - so - no issue. I just said NO to the other meds and am waiting for next step.

I should be on some type of new meds within 3 weeks. Until then, I am eating super low carb and walking after each meal as much as I can - without losing weight. It is a complicated equation that I have not yet solved.

✌️ bro...
You need me to bring you anything from Oregon?  I've been dabbling with OM Extracts, which I've found is pound for pound the best way to play teh pot.  Put about a rice sized kernel under my tongue out of a syringe and I get 6-8 hours of enjoyment.  I went 32 days with no booze and found this to be the perfect substitute along with some kombucha.  

General Malaise said:
You need me to bring you anything from Oregon?  I've been dabbling with OM Extracts, which I've found is pound for pound the best way to play teh pot.  Put about a rice sized kernel under my tongue out of a syringe and I get 6-8 hours of enjoyment.  I went 32 days with no booze and found this to be the perfect substitute along with some kombucha.  
Oh yeah!!! 

Ima all open to new experiences, GM. 

All my edible eatin' has been concoctions made in me own kitchen. 

It very possible that my smoke preference comes from my own bad cookin' techniques. 

I decarboxylated in my toaster oven (not the best for temp accuracy) and then made peanut butter firecrackers. 

Result: felt like the beginning of a shrooms trip that never quite took off. 

Not bad - but not great. Preferred my smoke. 

My family connection don’t really dabble with the eats, thus, I've never tried CO2 edible extractions. 

I have done the vape version - wax, oil, etc - but it seemed mild to me. Like there was a hole in the buzz. Great for when I have a meeting or the like (clearer head), but not something I use very often - have on hand tho. 

You bring dat, and you can live in my bushes with Slappy as long as you like! 

😎

This could be one grand Derby! 

Oh - something more serious - you were asking about crash space - well, if I rent my house, I may decide to get a very cheap hotel room (if I can find an opening) near the track, rather than staying with my parents, for Friday night. 

Would this interest you? 

Easier than the long trip back to your host... 

I'll have something concrete, next week. 

✌️😎🙂

went out for lunch today, some dude there was talking about music the entire time. mostly about his tour, how much he loves Wisconsin, some vague stories about Motley Crue and Guns n Roses.

anyone know who Rick Monroe is? 

seemed like a nice guy :thumbup:  

My 15 year old daughter got a concussion a month ago playing lacrosse.  She just got back from the doctor and has to see a neurologist for what he says is a post traumatic migraine.   

She is slowly improving but still has trouble concentrating, dizziness and a constant headache.  

She is stil not cleared to do full days of school, do any homework or take tests. Similar to Fish’s experience we are battling with the school to comply with the doctors orders.  

This is after 2 years of physical therapy that included 4 knee surgeries.  She is tough and extremely resilient but she broke down last night and said she just wants to feel normal. 😪

I know lots of you are experiencing worse and wish you the best on the road to recovery. 

My 15 year old daughter got a concussion a month ago playing lacrosse.  She just got back from the doctor and has to see a neurologist for what he says is a post traumatic migraine.   

She is slowly improving but still has trouble concentrating, dizziness and a constant headache.  

She is stil not cleared to do full days of school, do any homework or take tests. Similar to Fish’s experience we are battling with the school to comply with the doctors orders.  

This is after 2 years of physical therapy that included 4 knee surgeries.  She is tough and extremely resilient but she broke down last night and said she just wants to feel normal. 😪

I know lots of you are experiencing worse and wish you the best on the road to recovery. 
My best vibes are bein' broadcast yer & yer daughter's way, Bern. 

Good luck. 

& thnx much for the well wishes you sendin:. 

👍

Crap, man.    Let me know if there's anything I can do.   I'm excellent at threatening people with legal action.  Let her know she's going to feel normal again.   

Make sure she eats and hydrates.   The concussion and headache makes them nauseous, and for mine that led to weight loss, which combined with social media posts praising her photos as she lost weight turned into anorexia.  It could have killed her. 

Best wishes to her and I hope she gets better soon.  Concussions really suck.  Rest is very important, and try to keep the noise level down for everything, including if/when she listens to music and watches TV.  When I have had my concussions, I also found that movement, like riding in a car, made things much worse so try to let her stay home.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fish Your road has been much tougher than mine and I love hearing your daughter is headed in the right direction. I’m looking forward to both of us posting humble brag stories about our daughters in the not so distant future.

I think common sense will prevail and I won’t need your letter writing talents but it’s nice to know I’ve got that in my back pocket 👍

@RC94 Doing our best to follow your suggestions and keeping everything low key.  90% of the time she is all for slow and quiet but the teenage girl still surfaces  on occasion.

At some point I’ll post something on my NYC trip.  It will be titled delayed planes and missed trains.   Was in NY for less than 24 hours but we did manage to accomplish our goal of visiting Seton Hall. We were not able to visit any of the restaurants you suggested 🙁 

**Update*8.

I thought it was understood that Cal was going to be punished and he was going to lose his phone after being suspended.  He didn't see it that way and went ballistic Monday morning when I wouldn't let him have it.  He grabbed a knife and cut himself a little.  It was ####ed up. I decided to keep him home because didn't need send that package off.  Really didn't know what to do so called the doc, who is closed on Mondays.  I guess she's Italian or something.  Pep called into work and stayed home and got things worked out.

On Tuesday he showed his IEP saint that he "cut" himself.  We still haven't heard back from the doc.   I figure we play this hand out as I can't afford a rack a night in the hospital every time something goes askew.   They ask for a meeting today at noon, a conference call.  Sure, I can work that in.  Pep replies she has to work and can't make it, which I knew, so they change it to a meeting on property. FML but I really think for the better as I tend to express myself physically.

I was there for close to two excruciating hours but we have a plan.  I won't bore you with any of it but as we were wrapping up I wanted to express my gratitude for these folks that could certainly be in careers that pay them a lot more with no headaches. These people, my God, they are what I aspire to be.  I said something like: "Patty and I thank you for the support you have given us. You are truly special people.  It's a tragedy what is happening to so many young kids these days.  I see these other children in the hospital, they're scared, some don't have anyone even with them. I want to hug them the way I do my son and tell them "everything is going to be alright. You have to believe that." 

Damn it, Niagara Falls Frankie Angel, just like the meeting.

Love you @the rover

All the loves to Bern-kid and Bob.

When I got home from work, wife and I left the kids at home and went out to dinner last night at a little Italian spot we like around the corner. Sat down across from a family of four with a dad that in my multiply concussed brain was a doppleganger of @St. Louis Bob, but no version of Cal.

In the same brain, I was trying to remember if a NYC trip had been mentioned...and I inserted Bern's, so even with no college aged kids (and tbh, I had already forgotten that particular component of that trip) and no Cal, I sat staring uncomfortably at "Bob" occasionally saying his name loudly in case it was him (even going with the full and proper "St Louis Bob". It wasn't. The wife loved that night out.

I love not having cable.  I watch some OTA news and the occasional bad sci-fi movie like C.H.U.D.  How I missed this gem as a kid is beyond me. 
Yeah - I got rid of cable around 2009. The only cable bill I have is for internet. The bug the F outta me, trying to get me back on a bigger plan. I finally got hold of someone higher up and told them that if they did not stop, I would cancel the I-net and go elsewhere. It seems to have worked.

I never really watched too much tv in the first place (sports/occasional movie/news/documentaries/pbs/etc) - and I can stream all that I need that I can't get via ol'timey broadcast to floppy ears antennae.

Now - C>H>U>D - I'll keep an eye out - sounds like my kinda shtick.

...Then bad pain the next day - along with foot drop ....
Update on my foot drop; good news/bad news kinda thing. As is common, I'll touch upon the bad news 1st.

Bad news: I have not gotten the call for my appointment with the neurologist yet - errr - and it is getting worse. Since I cannot lift my right foot's toes or ankle upwards - at all - I have been prone to trips, slips & falls - resulting from that dead member accidentally scraping the ground when I walk.

Nothing serious yet, but - I need to be more careful. Hopefully, I will hear from them soon. If I have not, by this Wednesday, I will call them - again!!!!

In the meantime, I have had to resort to an exaggerated gait - lifting my foot and leg in an unorthodox manner - extremely high - to avoid accidental ground contact. It has worked - thankfully, and...it has led to the good news portion of this Sunday morn'n glee.

Good news: Yesterday - 4/20 - I found out that I was awarded a very special Research Fellowship (Anglo-French). It is supposed to help me with my walking. I have heard really good things about the organization - been around for a long while - highly regarded - pretty well known as well. I actually have a vid of some of their work:

It is truly a great opportunity for me.

As usual - thnx all - I could not do this without yous alls input/

:)

@Man of Constant Sorrow Congrats on the fellowship.  I have a long history with that group and have found they do excellent work but can be unorthodox at times  

I hope they cure what ails you. 
Thanks - sincerely - bern.

La Marche Futile is supposedly one of the better government grants available for this kinda thing. As shown in the vid, I still have a long way to go.

With the proper guidance tho, I think I shall succeed!!!! 😀

Going to church with Mom this morning for the first time in years. Didn't know where else to share.

Not especially looking forward to it.

Happy Easter
Happy Easter, ham.

Bad history with her, or with church... Or other reason for not looking forward?

Going to church with Mom this morning for the first time in years. Didn't know where else to share.

Not especially looking forward to it.

Happy Easter
Easter was the first holiday a couple months after my dad died 32 years ago. I still don't like this holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread