What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (7 Viewers)

Damn.  Just got back from a 6-day trip up near Bend where we hiked a few peaks.  Even though the trails were nice and nothing we did was crazy (had my 7 year-olds with me) there were moments during each hike that made me extremely nervous that someone could easily fall to their death.  If I didn't have my kids with me I wouldn't have even thought twice about it.  Sad to hear about your friend, but probably a good reality check that safety should be the top priority when hiking.
Unfortunately for many of us who knew her it’s more a reminder that even if safety is the top priority, awful #### still happens.  Lots of us still shaken up.  Seattle Times did a great write-up on Ann.  Such a brilliant woman.

On a better note, how was Bend?  I’ve never been down that way and really need to go!

Was incredible. Camped for 6 days in the Newberry Volcanic National Monument which is about 30 miles southeast.

Hiked Paulina Peak which made the kids not trust my judgement because it was way too strenuous for them. I also ended up not trusting my judgement because I had to carry them on my shoulders in shifts starting halfway through the ascent.  Views were incredible since it was clear that day.  Could see all the way to Mt Shasta in CA

Hiked around a bunch of lava flows, a lava cave, hiked up a couple smaller cinder cones and got a lot of kayaking/fishing in. The terrain was from another planet with all the volcanic history  

Only made it to Bend itself one day, but hit a couple breweries and tubed with the kids down the river.  The wife was smitten with the city and is now looking at real estate :wall: but I don’t want to be another cliche CA transplant. 

Rounded out the trip with a quick detour through Crater Lake on the way home. Wish we could have spent more time there but was nice to be set up for such an extended time in one place instead of shuffling from one campsite to another. 
sounds absolutely amazing- and love that you took the kids. I did non-camping versions of a lot of those places with my family as a kid... loved it.

my NYC kids are way too NYC. essentially scared of anything nature related- trees, bugs, rocks. it took years for either of them to feel comfortable even walking on grass- no joke. floppinho is at a sleepaway camp for the first time right now in the catskills... I'm hoping the increased exposure to it will foster a new appreciation and interest. 

growing up in ncal, it was all right there at my doorstep- and even though we weren't a backpacking/camping family, we were a hiking family- so there was a lot of outdoors as a family. my wife is decidedly not outdoors. with us living in the city, it's made it hard to instill that same kind of love/appreciation I got to experience growing up. 

I get it. Being in the Bay Area it’s easy to forego nature, but we try to make a point to get out and hike locally a few times a month and camp at least once a year. We’re a short drive from some of the most magnificent places in the country.  I got an annual National Parks pass so we are dedicated to getting out to as many National Parks/Monuments in CA as we can in the next year.  
where are you?

I grew up in sausalito- had the marin headlands literally outside my doorstep (granted, climbing straight up and over 101 first) and Mt Tam for easy hikes. my mom still hikes twice a week and used to write local hiking articles for the IJ. the most "extreme" thing we used to do was go to the high sierra camps in yosemite- which was hiking between comfortable, full-season tent and dining hall/bathroom... just up in the high sierra above 7k ft and away from the roads and day-hikers.

On a better note, how was Bend?  I’ve never been down that way and really need to go!
Was incredible. Camped for 6 days in the Newberry Volcanic National Monument which is about 30 miles southeast.

Hiked Paulina Peak which made the kids not trust my judgement because it was way too strenuous for them. I also ended up not trusting my judgement because I had to carry them on my shoulders in shifts starting halfway through the ascent.  Views were incredible since it was clear that day.  Could see all the way to Mt Shasta in CA

Hiked around a bunch of lava flows, a lava cave, hiked up a couple smaller cinder cones and got a lot of kayaking/fishing in. The terrain was from another planet with all the volcanic history  

Only made it to Bend itself one day, but hit a couple breweries and tubed with the kids down the river.  The wife was smitten with the city and is now looking at real estate :wall: but I don’t want to be another cliche CA transplant. 

Rounded out the trip with a quick detour through Crater Lake on the way home. Wish we could have spent more time there but was nice to be set up for such an extended time in one place instead of shuffling from one campsite to another. 
You would be, one of thousands.  But I'd still welcome you to the area.  :)  

I thought I had the Pac NW penciled in for this Fall. 🤷‍♀️

It will probably depend how soon and how fast the City of Austin Flood Plain relocation thing takes. Best guess is next few months.

I thought I had the Pac NW penciled in for this Fall. 🤷‍♀️

It will probably depend how soon and how fast the City of Austin Flood Plain relocation thing takes. Best guess is next few months.
Just found out I'm gonna be in Seattle the week before Thanksgiving for a work seminar

Guys.  Guys???
I have zero details other than the dates as yet. I'm guessing we'll be at a hotel downtown somewhere. Usually, these things go Tuesday evening through Friday afternoon. But I think I'm going to fly in Monday and fly back home Saturday morning.

I have zero details other than the dates as yet. I'm guessing we'll be at a hotel downtown somewhere. Usually, these things go Tuesday evening through Friday afternoon. But I think I'm going to fly in Monday and fly back home Saturday morning.
Mr. krista has a dentist appt the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  Really.  Other than that, we are at your service!!!

Mr. krista has a dentist appt the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  Really.  Other than that, we are at your service!!!
Sweet! It'll be the 18th-22nd. Be great to see you guys.

I lucked out on this one, because there's one of these corporate seminars in Philly in September. I REALLY did not want to go there (no offense to PhillyGuys), but the other manager wanted that one because he can drive (he's only flown once in his life and that time was with a bunch of us; I think doing it by himself may be more than he wants to tackle). 

I know I won't have time for a proper look around, but the farthest west I've ever been is Austin. 

I had planned on going to Mexico the week before, but this may throw a monkey wrench in those plans. A friend who is a travel agent is staying at the same AI I go to and is planning a day trip to Bacalar. I really want to check that place out, but don't know if I can swing two consecutive weeks away from work.

Frostillicus said:
I worked for Fox. Fox was bought by disney. Disney has decided they don't need my department. this blows. I'm out of a job on 9/27. 
Sorry to hear this Frosty. Similar thing happened to me last Sept after 18 years and at 56, looking for a job was not what I had in mind at this stage of my life.

Good luck GB

I’ll be there over Labor Day weekend. if you want to grab a beer. Friday and Sunday are wide open until a concert Sunday night. @mr. furley and @strykerpks you’re welcome too. Just PM me closer to the end of the month and/or when I’m there. I get in on Friday and leave Tuesday. Or you can just watch me sitting 4 rows behind home plate at the Brewers game on Labor Day.  Your choice  :excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry frosty..sucks.

any opportunities elsewhere?  You going to take some time first?
Maybe.  There's a chance I'm going to hired like, right away by another company looking to take over the stuff I used to do now that Disney eliminated it. If that doesn't work out then I'll take a few weeks to just kind of, recharge and then hit the market.

Maybe.  There's a chance I'm going to hired like, right away by another company looking to take over the stuff I used to do now that Disney eliminated it. If that doesn't work out then I'll take a few weeks to just kind of, recharge and then hit the market.
Good luck- hope either solution works out happily for you.

I’ll be there over Labor Day weekend. if you want to grab a beer. Friday and Sunday are wide open until a concert Sunday night. @mr. furley and @strykerpks you’re welcome too. Just PM me closer to the end of the month and/or when I’m there. I get in on Friday and leave Tuesday. Or you can just watch me sitting 4 rows behind home plate at the Brewers game on Labor Day.  Your choice  :excited:
Unfortunately I'm out of town that weekend. But I will hammer some beers in your honor if you post pics/vids

What field?

Users who are viewing this thread