Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
General Malaise

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

47 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

was out on my own all day Saturday. kids commandeered my wife's phone and were texting me nonsense all day. after a while i stopped checking every message because they were doing #### like sending the same gif 30 times in a row  :mellow:

late in the afternoon i get a picture of a dog. wife has been talking about wanting a 2nd dog "to play with (the current dog)". i'm the only one who pays attention to the current dog. i don't want another one. when my wife starts "thinking about" doing things it means she has already made up her mind & to her it's a done deal.

so getting a picture of a dog when my wife tells me she has been "thinking about getting a 2nd dog" means she's probably driving home with a dog :hot:

thankfully when i got home, still only one dog. but my wife and kids were ready to tell me all about how wonderful this dog was & we're going back to look at it again on Sunday & won't it be wonderful to have another dog to ignore play with (the current dog). no. no it won't. but i'm outvoted 3 - 1 so... suck it, furley!    

tried putting off the inevitable trip to the pet shelter but ran out of excuses so off we go.   the dog seems to immediately recognize my kids & jumps up to greet them.  literally jumps up. 4 feet in the air. crashing in to the door of the shelter. over & over & over again. :mellow:  then comes the barking. the shrillest, highest pitched, whiniest, most incessant bark i've ever heard in my life.  

this is not a Yorkie or a mini-anything. it's a boxer mix of some sort. this is like seeing Tyson and hearing his inexplicable high-pitched voice magnified many times. over & over. i had to leave the BUILDING.... not just the dog room. the entire freaking building.. to escape the soul penetrating sound.

my wife says: she wasn't like this yesterday. i'm glad they were closing when we got there or else i would have come home with her :mellow:    will any lesson be learned here? no. no it will not. i'm 99% positive we'll have a new dog in the house by summer's end.

Stop besmirching the good name of Boxers.  Boxers don't bark like that. It's probably part room temperature chicken.  

• Like 2

Had to check my passport number to update our travel system at work

i keep them in a fireproof safe and for whatever reason they were covered in some sort of soft fluffy mold.  I guess that thing gets damp and doesn’t let air escape as I’ve had issues in the past with dampness but nothing like that 

so if I’m not posting in the near future it was good knowing all of you

2 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Had to check my passport number to update our travel system at work

i keep them in a fireproof safe and for whatever reason they were covered in some sort of soft fluffy mold.  I guess that thing gets damp and doesn’t let air escape as I’ve had issues in the past with dampness but nothing like that 

so if I’m not posting in the near future it was good knowing all of you

The good news is you no longer have gonorrhea.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 10:45 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Stop besmirching the good name of Boxers.  Boxers don't bark like that. It's probably part room temperature chicken.  

Room Temperature Chicken is the name of my Bruce Springsteen or Bob Seger cover band.

• Like 3

Sitting through this presentation on high-risk pregnancies is bad, but doing it on my birthday is just gruesome. Gonna make it up to myself by heading straight to the bar from here. 

Just finished a 6 hour meeting with my very nice and indecisive Park Ave client, decorator and kitchen designer. 6 hours. Only got through 1/3 of my meeting agenda. Brain melting. Leaving. #### this.

Had an interview last week set up by a headhunter. Seemed to go well, but strange/maybe interesting job.

Guy used to be COO of arguably the apex residential design firm in NYC- the place my former head of arch has been trying to get me to join. Started his own firm last year, but is acting as owner's rep exclusively for a single client.

Sounds like there's a bit of architecty type work that happens as well, filling in holes in projects that the design and supervising architects can't get to. But overall, I'm having a hard time figuring out wth the job is. And I think the guy is too.

Amd not sure what the future is working for only one client in this regard, and as the second in command. I guess bridges to cross if when I'm offered the job. But also seems like there's no possibilty for growth at my current spot (money or opportunity-wise), even though the opportunity to design and build more (good experience) is there.

Dunno. Just honking out loud. 

Eta...lol...thinking, not honking. But I also like honking out loud.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Had an interview last week set up by a headhunter. Seemed to go well, but strange/maybe interesting job.

Guy used to be COO of arguably the apex residential design firm in NYC- the place my former head of arch has been trying to get me to join. Started his own firm last year, but is acting as owner's rep exclusively for a single client.

Sounds like there's a bit of architecty type work that happens as well, filling in holes in projects that the design and supervising architects can't get to. But overall, I'm having a hard time figuring out wth the job is. And I think the guy is too.

Amd not sure what the future is working for only one client in this regard, and as the second in command. I guess bridges to cross if when I'm offered the job. But also seems like there's no possibilty for growth at my current spot (money or opportunity-wise), even though the opportunity to design and build more (good experience) is there.

I thought "honking out loud" was a nice turn of phrase.  I'm sticking with it.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, El Floppo said:

You need a drink.  I hear it’s supposed to feel like 110 degrees.  You need a drink somewhere with really good air conditioning.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I thought "honking out loud" was a nice turn of phrase.  I'm sticking with it.

:drive:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -fish- said:

You need a drink.  I hear it’s supposed to feel like 110 degrees.  You need a drink somewhere with really good air conditioning.

Right! You and super girl are here. I'll be working late tonight. Are you able to run out later on? 

14 hours ago, El Floppo said:

Just finished a 6 hour meeting with my very nice and indecisive Park Ave client, decorator and kitchen designer. 6 hours. Only got through 1/3 of my meeting agenda. Brain melting. Leaving. #### this.

Did they look like Mr. Drummond?  I'm going to continue to imagine they looked like Mr. Drummond regardless, but was curious enough to check.

5 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Did they look like Mr. Drummond?  I'm going to continue to imagine they looked like Mr. Drummond regardless, but was curious enough to check.

pretty close- imagine a woman version of mr drummond; very tall slim mid-west waspy nyc transplant. very nice woman

14 hours ago, El Floppo said:

At a certain point the experience is no longer as important as actually getting paid and advancing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

At a certain point the experience is no longer as important as actually getting paid and advancing. 

I feel like I can always use more experience. the places I've been working the last 20+ years didn't produce a high volume of work the way this place does. while stressful, I feel like I'm getting better at what I do with more saturation.

but yeah- the fact that when I've brought up a raise or increased benefits after a year plus here, I'm reminded I'm the highest paid person on staff... including people who have been here 20 years... leads me to believe that money/responsibility isn't ever going to change if I stay here.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tough As Nails said:

Hi Bob.

Holy crap! TANAC!

How's things in the Felterworld?

38 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

pretty close- imagine a woman version of mr drummond; very tall slim mid-west waspy nyc transplant. very nice woman

Here, I can help.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

Oh good. Building management just shut my Mrs Drummond project down for excessive dust. Fml

32 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Oh good. Building management just shut my Mrs Drummond project down for excessive dust. Fml

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Floppo?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

56 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

"Mrs. Garrett to the white courtesy phone, please."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Here, I can help.

"I called her stingy old bag of goat cheese!"

9 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

"Mrs. Garrett to the white courtesy phone, please."

Mrs. Garrett couldn't carry Adelaide's feather dusting jock.  There, I said it.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:14 AM, El Floppo said:

Right! You and super girl are here. I'll be working late tonight. Are you able to run out later on? 

Could probably tonight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

First vacation in five years planned for next week and it will probably be more stressful than if I had just stayed here and worked. Ugh. 

Sounds like you need a new job.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

First vacation in five years planned for next week and it will probably be more stressful than if I had just stayed here and worked. Ugh. 

why?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

it won't be

and if it is, quit your job and do something else. you don't win a prize for "guy who took the least vacation" when you retire.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, heckmanm said:

@Man of Constant Sorrow (or anyone else) - any opinions on Joella's Hot Chicken?

Supposed to be one opening near me later this year.  I don't have high hopes for a chain, but it'd be way more convenient than driving 6 hours to Nashville.

Wow - I see that they are in my area, but I have never tried them before. I will check them out when I am able (and report back), but I don't eat out often.

Let me know how they are if you get there before I do. 😎

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mr. furley said:

it won't be

and if it is, quit your job and do something else. you don't win a prize for "guy who took the least vacation" when you retire.

Just bad timing with all of my projects having issues come to a head now. 

I know i don't post much, but if you could, T&P could be used for my wife's family.  Her cousin, a volunteer firefighter, passed away 2 days ago after coming home from a fire call.  He was only 46.  He was a good man, devoted husband, father, grandfather, brother, son and cousin.  

If you have a chance, try donating a case of water or gatorade to your local volunteer fire department.  With the heatwave that is coming to the midwest and east coast, these volunteers will need help in staying hydrated.  If the department has to buy water, it comes from their operational budget for equipment and such. And if you do, think of Lt, Neil Cope of Station 80 of the North Belle Vernon Volunteer Fire Department.

Thanks for listening...

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

At least you can get chicken.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Just bad timing with all of my projects having issues come to a head now. 

That's what I was up against a couple weeks ago. Stressed out prior, mostly enjoyed myself during, and have been thrown to the wolves since.

6 hours ago, -fish- said:

Could probably tonight.

Maybe. Just getting out of another marathon meeting and needing to work late again. 

10 hours ago, -fish- said:

Could probably tonight.

not sure what your time-table is, but I'm here for another hour or two at least.

my brother had it right when we were growing up... people would ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up- a semi-retired dentist like our dad. worked 3 days a week, went sailing at lunch, came to all my games, lots of vacations. has to beat this ####.

• Like 1

I made lobster ravioli with shallot and garlic butter sauce for dinner tonight.  It was amazing.  I normally make the sauce as just a garlic butter sauce, but I decided to try adding sauteed shallots this time.  I don't measure, but here's the basics of the way I make it the sauce:

• Garlic - at least 4 cloves, but depends on how many people you are making it for
  • Rosemary - optional, but I love the garlic and rosemary combo.  Just a small amount.
  • Shallots - amount depends on how many you are cooking for.
  • White wine - a dry wine
  • Chicken broth
  • Set aside some of the water you cook the pasta in
  • Butter - lots of it

Cook the shallots in a tablespoon or 2 of butter on med/low heat.  Stir it frequently.  You should stir this sauce frequently throughout.  Stirring at this point helps caramelize the shallots.  If you want them fried instead, then stir less frequently.  Add the garlic and rosemary and cook until they are a little toasted.  Probably about 2 minutes.  Keep it on med/low heat.  Add white wine and continue to cook on med/low heat until it's at least halfway reduced.  Add a little of the pasta water and increase the heat to med.  The pasta water will help it thicken since it has the starch from cooking the pasta.  Reduce at least to half again and then add the chicken broth.  Keep it on med heat, maybe a little higher like at 6 out of 10.  Reduce until it's pretty thickened.  Reduce the heat to low and add the butter.  Take it off the heat entirely after it starts melting and let it finish melting with the residual heat.  Stir it a lot, until it's melted and creamy.  Done. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I made lobster ravioli with shallot and garlic butter sauce for dinner tonight.  It was amazing.  I normally make the sauce as just a garlic butter sauce, but I decided to try adding sauteed shallots this time.  I don't measure, but here's the basics of the way I make it the sauce:

• Garlic - at least 4 cloves, but depends on how many people you are making it for
  • Rosemary - optional, but I love the garlic and rosemary combo.  Just a small amount.
  • Shallots - amount depends on how many you are cooking for.
  • White wine - a dry wine
  • Chicken broth
  • Set aside some of the water you cook the pasta in
  • Butter - lots of it

Cook the shallots in a tablespoon or 2 of butter on med/low heat.  Stir it frequently.  You should stir this sauce frequently throughout.  Stirring at this point helps caramelize the shallots.  If you want them fried instead, then stir less frequently.  Add the garlic and rosemary and cook until they are a little toasted.  Probably about 2 minutes.  Keep it on med/low heat.  Add white wine and continue to cook on med/low heat until it's at least halfway reduced.  Add a little of the pasta water and increase the heat to med.  The pasta water will help it thicken since it has the starch from cooking the pasta.  Reduce at least to half again and then add the chicken broth.  Keep it on med heat, maybe a little higher like at 6 out of 10.  Reduce until it's pretty thickened.  Reduce the heat to low and add the butter.  Take it off the heat entirely after it starts melting and let it finish melting with the residual heat.  Stir it a lot, until it's melted and creamy.  Done. 

did somebody just try to post their rooster?

still at work.

eta: #### this.

Edited by El Floppo

11 hours ago, -fish- said:

Could probably tonight.

your pm box is full.

I'm here another 30 or so... another long and early day tomorrow, so I wouldn't be able to get properly drinks- but I'm game for a quickie if you catch my drift. pm your number and I'll text when I'm leaving.

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

not sure what your time-table is, but I'm here for another hour or two at least.

my brother had it right when we were growing up... people would ask him what he wanted to be when he grew up- a semi-retired dentist like our dad. worked 3 days a week, went sailing at lunch, came to all my games, lots of vacations. has to beat this ####.

i'm for serious when i say i want to come to NY and take you out for beers, get really dumb drunk and do something stupid. not... like.... that. more like "we might get arrested" stupid.

1 minute ago, mr. furley said:

i'm for serious when i say i want to come to NY and take you out for beers, get really dumb drunk and do something stupid. not... like.... that. more like "we might get arrested" stupid.

furley in the tombs would be something. 

wait...

not... like... wat? 

• Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

furley in the tombs would be something. 

wait...

not... like... wat? 

my friend doesn't live in Greenpoint anymore :(  but maintains a place of... business... in Red Hook that i'm apparently free to use. haven't taken him up on it yet but might have to kidnap you for a couple days and make MAGIC.

5 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

my friend doesn't live in Greenpoint anymore :(  but maintains a place of... business... in Red Hook that i'm apparently free to use. haven't taken him up on it yet but might have to kidnap you for a couple days and make MAGIC.

this.

but you have to get to 0.20 to get the punchline... the vivaldi is just setting it up.

• Like 2

ok @-fish-

we don't make your dreams come true.

time to go home. #### this place.

next time- you're on.

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

this.

but you have to get to 0.20 to get the punchline... the vivaldi is just setting it up.

:lmao: i love these people

• Thanks 1

Two days ago an underground lightening strike exploded our basement toilet, killed the hot water heater and probably the dishwasher, fried most of the electronics in the house and knocked out AC for 24 hours in nice muggy 92 degree Maryland heat. Could have been way worse but the electrician who came yesterday was a smart, persistent guy who kept us from abandoning ship at the last minute.

It's gonna be 98 here today with a heat index 10 or 12 degrees higher.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Two days ago an underground lightening strike exploded our basement toilet, killed the hot water heater and probably the dishwasher, fried most of the electronics in the house and knocked out AC for 24 hours in nice muggy 92 degree Maryland heat. Could have been way worse but the electrician who came yesterday was a smart, persistent guy who kept us from abandoning ship at the last minute.

It's gonna be 98 here today with a heat index 10 or 12 degrees higher.

Is this a thing?