What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (10 Viewers)

First time this has happened to me. One of my brother's friends emailed me out of the blue trying to get in touch with him to work on a writing project they'd been doing off and on for a decade plus.  Had to send him the bad news that my brother passed a year ago. Kind of ####ed me up all over again. Having a drink for Bill tonight, and anyone else willing to say a kind word to him wherever he might be would be appreciated. 

For those not wanting to be bummed out here's an opportunist taking his shot

https://i.imgur.com/Dfs2Sey_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I'm trying to hire someone for my team and have had a couple of phone screen interviews this week.  The first one was with someone who was totally unprepared and completely bombed in every way possible.  He won't be getting called back for in-person interviews.  The 2nd one was basically the opposite.  The woman had good knowledge about the company, how to do the job, and asked some good questions.  The first interview didn't even ask for my email so of course I didn't get a thank you note.  The woman asked for my email, but she didn't send a thank you note either.  I have always sent a thank you note the same day any interview, so I was expecting something from this woman since she did well in every other area.  Am I being old fashioned here and shouldn't expect a thank you these days, or would you guys consider this a red flag?  It's not entry level, but also not a high level job so the people I'm interviewing are most likely in their 20s, if that matters.
I had a headhunter sending me out on a few things the last year. I felt embarrassed for them every time they made a point to proactively "remind" me to  send a thank you immediately. Of course you do this. But obviously people must need reminding or they wouldn't have bothered.

You'll probably find some kids that are as qualified/capable as the young woman, but who have the understanding that all of these things, including saying thank you Ina timely fashion, reflect on how you go about your business. 

Today, the plumber came over to unclog my main sewer line. He underestimated the severity of the problem resulting in many gallons of disgusting sewer water spraying all over the utility room. While flailing about trying to stop sewage from spewing everywhere he knocked my water main and cracked a connection. He attempted to temporarily seal it with electrical tape and in the process completely disconnected the joint. He hadn't bothered to shut of the water, so the full force of my water main shot to the ceiling and washed sewer water out across my finished basement before he could shut it off. Fun times. Just wanted to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, the plumber came over to unclog my main sewer line. He underestimated the severity of the problem resulting in many gallons of disgusting sewer water spraying all over the utility room. While flailing about trying to stop sewage from spewing everywhere he knocked my water main and cracked a connection. He attempted to temporarily seal it with electrical tape and in the process completely disconnected the joint. He hadn't bothered to shut of the water, so the full force of my water main shot to the ceiling and washed sewer water out across my finished basement before he could shut it off. Fun times. Just wanted to share.
my god the stench

This is how the Eat-Off Thread ends in the darkest timeline.

Roverkid has a cat that we call Murdercat.   She attacks people for no reason whatsoever.   She's also attacked two different friends' dogs, sending one to the vet with its eyelid torn open.   Roverkid wants a dog.   I told her it was a terrible idea, and reminded her of Murdercat sending our friend's dog to the vet.   After much argument, I agreed to foster a dog for the humane society for a week to see how it would work out.   Day 3:  the dog can't open its left eye now, and we're waiting for a call back from the emergency vet.   Murdercat 3, dogs 0.

Roverkid has a cat that we call Murdercat.   She attacks people for no reason whatsoever.   She's also attacked two different friends' dogs, sending one to the vet with its eyelid torn open.   Roverkid wants a dog.   I told her it was a terrible idea, and reminded her of Murdercat sending our friend's dog to the vet.   After much argument, I agreed to foster a dog for the humane society for a week to see how it would work out.   Day 3:  the dog can't open its left eye now, and we're waiting for a call back from the emergency vet.   Murdercat 3, dogs 0.
Throw in some house sales and naan ovens and I think you have the makings of a k4 graphic novel.

KHS?

My Packers are on SNF, my Astros are in the World Series, and I am watching in my Vegas hotel room, because, well, I probably shouldn't watch the Packers in public. I'm a mess.
Saturday night was fun gb. You’re in elite company having met my sister, BIL, and Portland friends. All were super impressed with your vast Vegas knowledge (me included). Safe travels and we’ll do it again sometime soon. 

ETA: the Vdara valet is reaping the benefits of last night’s epic jackpot.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s ####ty

Had a fundraiser for HeckDave on Saturday to help offset their medical/rehab expenses (insurance was being stingy about the rehab for a while so my niece was paying a big chunk out of pocket).

Hog roast, auction, beer & wine bar, live music, and duck races with parimutuel betting. It rained ALL DAMN DAY, which made getting things set up a pain, considering the bar, music and racing took place in a tent.  Fortunately we seemed to be on high ground, and the tent was enclosed on the sides, so it was dry inside, but going between the building and the tent could be challenging.

This all took place in a fairly rural community - they live in a town of a couple thousand, although there's a larger city of ~200K nearby.  But most of the crowd were from smaller towns and farms.  Anyway, this bunch plowed through about 70 gallons of draft beer, plus another 8-9 30-packs of canned beer, and another 2 cases worth of wine slushies, all over the course of about 6 hours.

Oh, and about the duck races. I had (naively) assumed these were rubber ducks, as a local summer festival does rubber duck races as a fundraiser. Oh, no. No, no no. Here's the "race course". There's a set of doors down the left side; you put a duck in each lane, open the doors, and then everyone yells and rings a big bell to scare the bejeezus out of the little critters, so they ideally run to the other end.  They take bets ahead of time, post the odds just before the start, and then pay out for the winner.

Anyway, the night was a big success; one of the organizers said they'll likely end up between $35-40K when everything's finalized.

@DA RAIDERS Was in St. Thomas/St. John a couple weeks ago.  I think some of our recommendations came from you a few years ago when we were supposed to go (but the hurricanes hit).  Had a great time.  Thanks for info provided long ago.  
nice!   any hghlights? 

oddly, my sister's finally leaving after 30 plus years down there.

nice!   any hghlights? 

oddly, my sister's finally leaving after 30 plus years down there.
6 hour fishing charter was awesome. Caught a ton of fish, also providing us with lots of great meals.

Red Hook was great for food and drink.  Loved Duffy's Love Shack and Island Time Pub.  Great casual hangs for Happy Hour.  Food and wine at XO were fantastic. Some great options in St. John, too.  Really enjoyed The Longboard and Northshore Deli.

St. John beaches (and wildlife). Wife loved Trunk Bay. Cinnamon was pretty fantastic, too.  Turtles, sharks, stingrays, and deer at Maho. Mongoose (Mongooses? Mongeese?) at Hawksnest. And just driving the Jeep around the island. Missed North Shore Road off the roundabout the first time, so went up Centerline instead, then cut back on "Hwy 206" (not a highway).  SOOOO glad we did.  Great drive in a Jeep.  Not so much had we been in a car.

I have a bone to pick with the Tap & Still people, as they don't know what a patty melt is.  I feel like it's a slam dunk case of false advertising if one of you lawyer types would be so-inclined.

Cowpet Bay was a great place to stay, btw.  Two bedroom, two bath, ocean view, less expensive than a lot of options we looked at, resort pool access, condo was nice enough, complex had its own beach (it was meh, but a quiet beach nonetheless), and a 5 minute drive to Red Hook (which was the real winner here).

View from the deck

Rough week for GMTAN dads.  

Here's one for you.  My dad was hospitalized with a blood infection on Friday.  Unsure what the culprit was, but he's got a compromised immune system, so his body is very fragile and prone to illness and infection.  Took a while to find the right antibiotic to pump into his bloodstream (first one caused an allergic reaction) but it finally got knocked out yesterday.  Ultimately, the docs/nurses traced the infection back to an early morning wake-up from his mini-Australian shepherd who thought it would be a sweet gesture to lick my dad in the eyes to get him up and moving.  Yada yada yada, guess who has a dog now.  :hot:

A dog that has done nothing but aggressively hump our twins, bolt out of the house whenever the door is open and bark uncontrollably the last 24 hours.  So, this is fun.  This is fine.  
Well, that was short-lived.  Yesterday afternoon, one of the twins was playing with the dog on the floor.  Lord knows what he did, but the dog turned super aggressive and started attacking him.  I put a stop to it and there were no injuries, but my wife and I agreed that can't happen again.  Dog was kind and mellow the balance of the day/night.

This morning, got a call from my wife - we never call; text/email only unless it's an emergency, so when the phone rang, I knew even before she said anything what had happened.  Dog bit the same twin on the forehead and drew blood.  My sister is coming to take the dog to live with her.  Her boys are teens and she's kept the dog over there numerous times in the past without incident.  

TL;DR, I'm not meant to have a dog.  2 dead by cancer before the age of 4, another bit my nephew when he was 2 and now this.  Just.....sucks.  :(

Well, that was short-lived.  Yesterday afternoon, one of the twins was playing with the dog on the floor.  Lord knows what he did, but the dog turned super aggressive and started attacking him.  I put a stop to it and there were no injuries, but my wife and I agreed that can't happen again.  Dog was kind and mellow the balance of the day/night.

This morning, got a call from my wife - we never call; text/email only unless it's an emergency, so when the phone rang, I knew even before she said anything what had happened.  Dog bit the same twin on the forehead and drew blood.  My sister is coming to take the dog to live with her.  Her boys are teens and she's kept the dog over there numerous times in the past without incident.  

TL;DR, I'm not meant to have a dog.  2 dead by cancer before the age of 4, another bit my nephew when he was 2 and now this.  Just.....sucks.  :(
When do you feed the kids versus when you feed the dogs? Dogs are pack animals.
Kids get fed first, then you, then the dogs. Kids are the pack leaders and unless they are 
doing something insane to the dog, the dog(s) wouldn't hurt the kids.  

When do you feed the kids versus when you feed the dogs? Dogs are pack animals.
Kids get fed first, then you, then the dogs. Kids are the pack leaders and unless they are 
doing something insane to the dog, the dog(s) wouldn't hurt the kids.  
I'm not an expert in animal husbandry, so I'll take your word for it.  Regardless, dogs that bite children aren't staying at our house.  

I'm sure I've told this story before, but when I was three, our dog, Toe White, bit me in the face.  Then he died a few hours later. 

Fearful the dog might have rabies, dad wanted to keep the dead dog refrigerated until they could send the head to Austin for testing (seriously, that's how things used to be done).

His good friend, Johnny Alford, owned a supermarket. Dad called him and said, "The dog bit Damon and he died. Can we keep him in your cooler tonight?"

Johnny thought he meant I had died. Hilarity ensued.

Had a fundraiser for HeckDave on Saturday to help offset their medical/rehab expenses (insurance was being stingy about the rehab for a while so my niece was paying a big chunk out of pocket).

Hog roast, auction, beer & wine bar, live music, and duck races with parimutuel betting. It rained ALL DAMN DAY, which made getting things set up a pain, considering the bar, music and racing took place in a tent.  Fortunately we seemed to be on high ground, and the tent was enclosed on the sides, so it was dry inside, but going between the building and the tent could be challenging.

This all took place in a fairly rural community - they live in a town of a couple thousand, although there's a larger city of ~200K nearby.  But most of the crowd were from smaller towns and farms.  Anyway, this bunch plowed through about 70 gallons of draft beer, plus another 8-9 30-packs of canned beer, and another 2 cases worth of wine slushies, all over the course of about 6 hours.

Oh, and about the duck races. I had (naively) assumed these were rubber ducks, as a local summer festival does rubber duck races as a fundraiser. Oh, no. No, no no. Here's the "race course". There's a set of doors down the left side; you put a duck in each lane, open the doors, and then everyone yells and rings a big bell to scare the bejeezus out of the little critters, so they ideally run to the other end.  They take bets ahead of time, post the odds just before the start, and then pay out for the winner.

Anyway, the night was a big success; one of the organizers said they'll likely end up between $35-40K when everything's finalized.
What kind of odds can I get that someone was named Cooter 

sorry gb.  those dogs are bred to herd.  they are known to nip at small children, they do this to animals that they herd.  sux0rs

Came home to find the electricity out in my neighborhood.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't just my building since there were no other lights out looking out from my window.  I'm on the 5th floor, so the stairs weren't fun, but not the end of the world either.  I've had worse days as far as that's concerned, such as when the escalator is out at the subway station where I used to work.  That's a really long escalator - about 7 or 8 flights of stairs worth.  Couldn't imagine having to walk up 20+ flights if I lived in a skyscraper, although I would risk it if I had a great view of NYC from my living room.  Electricity came back on about 10 minutes after getting home.  

Came home to find the electricity out in my neighborhood.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't just my building since there were no other lights out looking out from my window.  I'm on the 5th floor, so the stairs weren't fun, but not the end of the world either.  I've had worse days as far as that's concerned, such as when the escalator is out at the subway station where I used to work.  That's a really long escalator - about 7 or 8 flights of stairs worth.  Couldn't imagine having to walk up 20+ flights if I lived in a skyscraper, although I would risk it if I had a great view of NYC from my living room.  Electricity came back on about 10 minutes after getting home.  
Pg&e taking over for con-ed?

Users who are viewing this thread