Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
General Malaise

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

Daughter, who got cut from the JV sqad last year down to Freshmen, made the Varsity team at TC Williams HS, the biggest public HS in Virginia.  Basketball team is a perennial playoff contender, so this was no easy feat. Also, as I've talked about in here before, she was born without her right hand (looks just like Shaquem Griffen).

A couple of days ago I posted an awesome photo in the facebooks someone took at her first varsity scrimmage, of her attempting a three point shot.  Which is somewhat unusual because she generally has played as a Big.  But she's trying to develop her shooting game.  I'll try and find an image hosting website to put the picture up. 

She also had a blocked shot that was called jump ball because she held onto it.  Great moment.  And had a great fast break where she ran the floor with the little guard who passed it to her for the basket.

Overall, I'm a pretty proud dad (I don't know if I posted about it last year, but when she didn't make the JV sqad as a freshmen, she cried (for what felt like) all night, before picking herself up, dusting off, and playing her best for the freshmen team (although she wasn't totally mature about it - I had to fish her end of season MVP trophy out of the trash). 

So it's a big deal for her to make varsity this year.  Any playing time she gets is just icing on the cake. 

Was that one of the High Schools in Remember the Titans?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

Was that one of the High Schools in Remember the Titans?

The one and only.  There's a huge Remember the Titans display in the gym area.  

If you mention the movie to one of the kids at school, they usually groan.  My daughter's had to sit through that movie like a dozen times in the last 5 years.  It's the go-to movie to show kids for assemblies, or when teachers don't have a lesson plan, or just whenever. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

The one and only.  There's a huge Remember the Titans display in the gym area.  

If you mention the movie to one of the kids at school, they usually groan.  My daughter's had to sit through that movie like a dozen times in the last 5 years.  It's the go-to movie to show kids for assemblies, or when teachers don't have a lesson plan, or just whenever. 

I thought so, but I wasn't sure. Since I follow CFB and college hoops recruiting I know the names of lots of random high schools. So useful :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 7:35 PM, EYLive said:

Do any of you participate in any Reddit threads? OMG, what a bunch of whiny sensitive btches. Either that or the FFA had turned me into a mean innerweb bully troll. F those dweebs. 😛

Define participate.  I waste a lot of time there but it’s generally just reading headlines and a few comments.  I probably have less than 10 posts across reddit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sweet J said:

For the non-facebooks type:

3-point attempt

I have neice that plays at Georgetown visitation...do they play each other? 

ETA...and really love hearing her story of perseverance. Hope she kicks some ###.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I have neice that plays at Georgetown visitation...do they play each other? 

ETA...and really love hearing her story of perseverance. Hope she kicks some ###.

Georgetown visitation is in the top conference in the area.  It's made up of mostly high-end private schools, if I recall correctly.  For girls basketball, it actually may be the top conference in the country.  My daughter and I were just looking at the rankings the other day, and I thought I remember GV was in the top 10 or so. It's a great school for basketball.  I don't think TC Williams plays them.

Visitation does play a local rival -- Bishop Ireton.  The coach at BI used to coach for TC.  I'll poke around the schedule.  If your niece comes to BI to play, I'll see if I can go catch it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Apparently, tanned buttholes are a thing now. And no, this is not referencing any specific politicians.

If you can't believe Ra of Earth and Metaphysical Meagan, who can you believe?

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Apparently, tanned buttholes are a thing now. And no, this is not referencing any specific politicians.

So bleaching is out?

### #### it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GroveDiesel said:

Apparently, tanned buttholes are a thing now. And no, this is not referencing any specific politicians.

I think I know why krista goes hiking up in the mountains now.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 5
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sideshow Bob said:

NEVER go to Costco the day before Thanksgiving. You'd think I'd know that by now. :wall:

Some lady on our "town talk" facebook group posted how mad she was because the local grocery store has a parking space near the entrance for picking up orders and on the day before Thanksgiving they had an attendant enforcing it so she couldn't park there.   She had to park all the way at the other side of the parking lot!   

Instacart, people.   Don't waste your time parking and shopping.  It's stupid.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately Instacart won't deliver from our Costco to our house, and the dog needs dog food whether or not it's the day before Thanksgiving.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do deliver from BevMo, though, which is all kinds of awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nate Bain dropped the game winning layup for Stephen F Austin against Duke, and his family's Go Fund Me jumped from $2k to (now) $68k.

I'd like to say that's how good people are, but really, that's how much people hate Duke.

 

"Donation from a Wake Forest alum. Good luck in all things. Happy Thanksgiving."

"Even though you guys got us in 2014, VCU fans know Duke upsets well and your play last night is now at the top of that list."

"This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for Stephen F. Austin. From a Virginia Wahoo."

"If you beat Duke, we’re on the same team #GoHeels"

And on and on.  lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Nate Bain dropped the game winning layup for Stephen F Austin against Duke, and his family's Go Fund Me jumped from $2k to (now) $68k.

I'd like to say that's how good people are, but really, that's how much people hate Duke.

 

"Donation from a Wake Forest alum. Good luck in all things. Happy Thanksgiving."

"Even though you guys got us in 2014, VCU fans know Duke upsets well and your play last night is now at the top of that list."

"This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for Stephen F. Austin. From a Virginia Wahoo."

"If you beat Duke, we’re on the same team #GoHeels"

And on and on.  lol

If someone who donates to his family turns out to be a booster or an agent, isn't that an NCAA violation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, -fish- said:

If someone who donates to his family turns out to be a booster or an agent, isn't that an NCAA violation?

:shrug:

 

It says, "SFA Compliance is organizing this fundraiser."

You'd think if anyone had considered that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

NEVER go to Costco the day before Thanksgiving. You'd think I'd know that by now. :wall:

I once went around noon on Superbowl Sunday. 

That was not well considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, -fish- said:

Some lady on our "town talk" facebook group posted how mad she was because the local grocery store has a parking space near the entrance for picking up orders and on the day before Thanksgiving they had an attendant enforcing it so she couldn't park there.   She had to park all the way at the other side of the parking lot!   

Instacart, people.   Don't waste your time parking and shopping.  It's stupid.

I kinda like doing errands. And long lines give me time to catch up on Twitter. Beats the projects my wife would come up for me at home the day before a holiday.:shrug:

But I'm home now. :kicksrock:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RedmondLonghorn said:

I kinda like doing errands. And long lines give me time to catch up on Twitter. Beats the projects my wife would come up for me at home the day before a holiday.:shrug:

But I'm home now. :kicksrock:

 

You've identified the problem.  My friend's wife is making him run a 5K at 7 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning.   My girlfriend is friends with her and signed me up without my knowledge because they convinced themselves it would be fun.  He and I were at a bar and he was complaining about having to do this stupid thing.  I called my GF, said "Hey, I have no interest in doing this 5k thing and I'm not doing it."   She said, "Ok."

He looked at me like I was an alien.   He went home and told his wife he wasn't doing it.   They've been fighting for 3 days.  I'm so happy I'm divorced.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m running a 5k at 8 am mostly because Mrs. O loves to watch the freakin parade while drinking mulled cider without my witty commentary. Her loss.  

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

NEVER go to Costco the day before Thanksgiving. You'd think I'd know that by now. :wall:

I've done xmas eve a few times.  Oof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 4:02 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

This guy completely nails every high school football radio guy.  People are crazy down here - there are drive time radio sports shows that specialize in HS football call-ins.  

https://twitter.com/i/status/1197889172062822400

Jesus, that is spot f’n on. Perfect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a .03k this morning...to the bagel shop and back if it's open. And it's our anniversary. Probably looking forward to a fight regardless.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I've got a .03k this morning...to the bagel shop and back if it's open. And it's our anniversary. Probably looking forward to a fight regardless.

Your time will be most likely better than mine :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I've got a .03k this morning...to the bagel shop and back if it's open. And it's our anniversary. Probably looking forward to a fight regardless.

I've got a .007 this afternoon...to Ft. Knox and back again if if I live. It's been 40 years since I first went. Probably looking forward to a fight regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Osaurus said:

I’m running a 5k at 8 am mostly because Mrs. O loves to watch the freakin parade while drinking mulled cider without my witty commentary. Her loss.  

Just got yelled at by my wife for my comments on the Macy parade.  I like the floats - the rest is Broadway schlock, HS bands and Disney kid "stars."

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 3:02 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

This guy completely nails every high school football radio guy.  People are crazy down here - there are drive time radio sports shows that specialize in HS football call-ins.  

https://twitter.com/i/status/1197889172062822400

wow, that was great.  the names even got me.

Donnie Chuggs pitches to Ronnie! Ronnie to Donnie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was the first day I’ve ever polished off a bottle of wine without Mrs. O having at least a glass and it was glorious. Her loss again

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@krista4 and any other GMTAN travelers my wife and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica and staying in a VRBO. Do any of you know of any good trip planning resources I can use to plan it out? We'll be taking our 2 teenage boys with us so things like ATV tours, or other fun active things would be good. Looks like there is a dormant volcano and a bunch of jungle type tours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

@krista4 and any other GMTAN travelers my wife and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica and staying in a VRBO. Do any of you know of any good trip planning resources I can use to plan it out? We'll be taking our 2 teenage boys with us so things like ATV tours, or other fun active things would be good. Looks like there is a dormant volcano and a bunch of jungle type tours.

I went in 2007. I have a friend that lives there - he did all the prep for us, so I can't recommend any planning resources, however, my 2 favorite activities were a zip-line tour and a deep sea fishing trip in the Pacific.

Have fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hawks64 said:

@krista4 and any other GMTAN travelers my wife and I are thinking of going to Costa Rica and staying in a VRBO. Do any of you know of any good trip planning resources I can use to plan it out? We'll be taking our 2 teenage boys with us so things like ATV tours, or other fun active things would be good. Looks like there is a dormant volcano and a bunch of jungle type tours.

I don't know of trip planning resources; I just research the hell out of everything I do, so my trip planning resources are "all of the internet."  :)  I have been to Costa Rica several times, though, and am happy to help as you go along.  I'd recommend getting a VRBO in each of two areas:  (1) the Arenal volcano and Monteverde cloud forest area (I assume Arenal is what you are referring to, but it is active, not dormant), and (2) the beach areas of Tamarindo/Playa Langosta.  I actually prefer the latter area, but the former is probably the biggest tourist attraction and is a must-do as well if you haven't done a lot of volcanos and rainforests.  Theoretically you could stay in one location and just visit the other, but you'd be doing a lot of traveling; they might look close but are well over three hours apart as the roads in Costa Rica are surprisingly bad.  So I strongly recommend spending a few days in each of the locations.  It's all gorgeous.  

Once you decide where you're going, I can help with specific recommendations if you'd like.  I also have rented houses in the Tamarindo several times through VRBO or otherwise.  Oh, and no matter what, fly into Liberia, not San Jose.  Much easier and safer.

 

Edited by krista4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, krista4 said:

 Oh, and no matter what, fly into Liberia, not San Jose.  

 

@Hawks64 Liberia the city in Costa Rica. not the African country.  just in case you're booking while drunk  :mellow:

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

@Hawks64 Liberia the city in Costa Rica. not the African country.  just in case you're booking while drunk  :mellow:

 

 

Appreciate you looking out GB!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, krista4 said:

I don't know of trip planning resources; I just research the hell out of everything I do, so my trip planning resources are "all of the internet."  :)  I have been to Costa Rica several times, though, and am happy to help as you go along.  I'd recommend getting a VRBO in each of two areas:  (1) the Arenal volcano and Monteverde cloud forest area (I assume Arenal is what you are referring to, but it is active, not dormant), and (2) the beach areas of Tamarindo/Playa Langosta.  I actually prefer the latter area, but the former is probably the biggest tourist attraction and is a must-do as well if you haven't done a lot of volcanos and rainforests.  Theoretically you could stay in one location and just visit the other, but you'd be doing a lot of traveling; they might look close but are well over three hours apart as the roads in Costa Rica are surprisingly bad.  So I strongly recommend spending a few days in each of the locations.  It's all gorgeous.  

Once you decide where you're going, I can help with specific recommendations if you'd like.  I also have rented houses in the Tamarindo several times through VRBO or otherwise.  Oh, and no matter what, fly into Liberia, not San Jose.  Much easier and safer.

 

Thanks!! Why is it safer flying into Liberia? The places we have found that we like the most so far are in the Lepanto and Jaco areas, any issue with staying there?

With only being there for really 6 days, we are staying for 8 days and I figured the days we fly in and out are just travel days, does it make sense to try and hit two areas?

I am assuming that we are going to love it based on how everyone else feels about their trips there, so we'll likely be going back in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hawks64 said:

Thanks!! Why is it safer flying into Liberia? The places we have found that we like the most so far are in the Lepanto and Jaco areas, any issue with staying there?

With only being there for really 6 days, we are staying for 8 days and I figured the days we fly in and out are just travel days, does it make sense to try and hit two areas?

I am assuming that we are going to love it based on how everyone else feels about their trips there, so we'll likely be going back in the future.

Liberia is more central to hitting both the beach and Arenal area. It's about 2-3 hours from both in opposite directions. I've never been to San Jose, but have read it's kinda sketchy. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see you're taking your kids, so Tamarindo is probably a good choice, but I really enjoyed Nosara over Tamarindo when I visited Costa Rica. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After digging into a bit more I think I've settled on either places in around Tamarindo/Playa Flamingo/Hermosa or somewhere around Montezuma. Have to talk through what everyone would like to do but it seems like both have all the options with Montezuma being less touristy than up in Tamarindo/Flamingo area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2018 at 10:56 PM, Abraham said:

In case anyone cares anymore, here's the story of what happened, where I've been, and where I am now...

 

  Hide contents

 

In October 2015 I was 12 years married with two kids in a largely loveless marriage.  Most of my social interaction, as sad as it seems in hindsight was here in this thread. I traveled twice a month for work and every time I came home, my wife showed no interest in my journeys. Would you like to come along? No.  Over time we got more and more distant to the point where by summer of 16 she told me I was a "disruption to our lives" when I came home.  I was gone for 3 or 4 days at a time travelling to LA for work and she had zero interest in any of it.  I had an entire different network of friends and colleagues and she wasn't interested in that part of my life at all. I ran a 70 million dollar sales org and she didn't even know (or care to know) what I did for a living. Literally had no idea what I did to provide for our family.  We were strangers. Our then-5 year old was still sleeping in our bed.  Our 1.5 year old was in a bed in the master.  My wife and I hadn't had a date in years.  We hadn't been intimate once since our youngest was conceived. Our social circle was her family, full stop. I spent my time at our ranch out in my barn/office chainsmoking and getting drunk.  I would wake up early on Saturday and Sunday before anyone else woke up so I could drive into town and sit in the parking lot at Home Depot smoking and drinking tall boys until lunch when I would begrugingly go back to my from-the-outside-perfect life. 

In the entirety of our marriage she made my relationship with my parents and only sibling more and more divisive. So much so that our time with my nearby family was only a couple hours a year while our time with her family was measured in days and even weeks. I was culpable in this, admittedly.  I allowed it to happen because I was scared to stand up to her. I allowed a lot to happen.  A little at a time, brick by brick, your life becomes out of your control.  At least it did for me.

I wasn't perfect either, I messed up a lot of our financial future in the business I had during our 30's. I owed the IRS 70k and my former business partners another 30. But I NEVER ever cheated on her. 

In October 15 I went on a business trip to Las Vegas and met a young lady from a far off land.  We didn't hook up but we did spend the evening/night running around LV and having fun.  Las Vegas is my favorite place on earth and for 6 hours on a Thursday night I was happy again. (tanner: "gay") She gave me her number.  I texted her the next morning and she replied.  I went home to Texas.  A few days later I texted her again. ANd she texted me back.

In the coming weeks she and I texted a lot. All day every day.  But she lived 3,000 miles away so whatever. No chance anything will happen, right? But I was hooked.  I talked to GB Bentley, GB cosjobs and GB GM about the flirting/talking.

Cos: have some fun, no harm

GM: you are ####ed, and you will know it soon in a hail of fire and brimstone. ####ed to the hilt, Abe. ####ed.

Bentley: wtf, I don;'t even understand the life you lead.

5 weeks later the young lady had a layover in Houston while on vacation. I drove over from Austin and we had lunch. The texting continued.  Unlike many relationships we actually got to know each other through conversation instead of physical presence. We weren't dating, we were chatting and getting to know each other. Three weeks after that I invited her to meet me when I went to NYC for business.  She agreed to join me.

From there, we met every two weeks when I was on my business trips.  I would fly her to meet me in LA, NYC, San Diego, etc..  Very quickly I was madly in love with her, and she with me.

In January her ex-boyfriend came back to woe her.  In February she tried to "break up" with me."I am your mistress and I am breaking up a family and this is wrong. I don't want to see you ever again."  I persisted.

In March I told my wife I was unhappy in our marriage.  Without discussion or interest in "working on things" she threw me out of the house. We wouldn't speak again until about 6 weeks ago. (yes, we didn't correspond from that night in March 16 until just recently). In the interim I will just say "lawyers are expensive."

I persisted with the young lady from far away. I was patient as her ####### ex showed his true colors. I moved into a hotel in Austin. I slept on the couches of friends.  I drank a lot more than normal, more than even the people in this thread would deem excessive.  I posted a little, but never about the details.

In May 16 me and the wife decided to get divorced.  That took until August 17.

I had a meltdown on the boards on election night 16 and have largely been absent since then.  It was due. Sorry about that.  No promise that I'll be around more often but "back then" some of you seemed to wonder what happened to me. So here we are.

My ex and I are getting along better.  Her fiance is a calming influence on her and that has helped. She's engaged to remarry, which will save me about 5k a month in alimony. My relationship with my children, now 7 and 4, is a work in progress but positive and getting better.  I've been officially with the Other Woman since May of 16.  We have a house together.  I'll ask her to marry me in the next couple of months. If we are friends on FB/IG you've seen her I suppose although I would appreciate not posting any of that here. So if you ever wonder if anyone falls in love in Las Vegas and stays together, now you have at least one example.

I changed jobs last July from running a 70 million dollar sales org to a 110 million dollar sales org.  I got fired 3 months ago, partly my fault and partly theirs.  But I used my severance to start two new businesses and I've already replaced my income from my previous employer. Outside of health insurance costs for me and my kids I don't have complaints about being back in the business-owner space.  I'm a lot smarter now and know what I'm doing.  

My life has never been better.  Breaking out of the place I was to get to where I am now, as I told my mother, is the difference between a world in black and white and a world in 4k color.  I've never ever been happier, more fulfilled, more with purpose.  I have a relationship with my family after so many lost years. I have a partner with whom I can be honest. I am unencumbered with guilt, shame, and self-disappointment.  I can't get back 12 years of being married to the wrong woman, but I can be grateful to have moved on and make the most of each day.

Cos was right. Nothing wrong with having a little fun, especially when it leads to the best part of life I could imagine. I love her more each day and (tanner "gay") it keeps getting better.

GM was right. It has been hell and my relationship with my kids has been hard, but we are getting there.

Bentley was Bentley.  And for that I am grateful for his friendship

And shuke and I have played Chess the whole time, which has been my sole thread back to this place.

So that's all the news that's fit to print. This thread is my peeps, so all the best to each of you.

[/spoiler}

Hmph.

HERD

1. I miss this thread and I miss you all

2. Me and the lady from the story above were married in October. I have never been happier. Same for her.  PM if you want a pic from the wedding.

Life is what you make of it, you are the hero you are waiting for.  My life isnt perfect but I'm no longer locked in the concrete of a depressing and loveless marriage. 

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abraham said:

1. I miss this thread and I miss you all

2. Me and the lady from the story above were married in October. I have never been happier. Same for her.  PM if you want a pic from the wedding.

Life is what you make of it, you are the hero you are waiting for.  My life isnt perfect but I'm no longer locked in the concrete of a depressing and loveless marriage. 

You don't have to be a stranger here, bAbe. 

Saw some pics you posted. Your wife is stunning and I'm really glad you're in a good place these days. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.