What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (10 Viewers)

eoMMan said:
Damn. Did she maybe pass down some sort of cancer gene? Or maybe it's an Erin Brockovich situation?

Gotta be super rare for two kids that young to get both cancer.
Probably acute myeloid leukemia. Known to run through twins and siblings.
Interesting; didn't know that.  But not the case here.  The first child was either bladder or kidney cancer; I'm forgetting which one.  I don't know about the second child.

Interesting; didn't know that.  But not the case here.  The first child was either bladder or kidney cancer; I'm forgetting which one.  I don't know about the second child.
Wow. That's getting into some pretty rare stuff. I think since I've been here I've seen Wilm's tumor (most common kidney cancer) maybe twice. I have yet to see a bladder cancer, that I can recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
urbanhack said:
How big is the house?
Three BRs.

cosjobs said:
How is the friend?
Good guy, longtime sports writer (which is how we met), Newcastle supporter so he understands suffering as a fan. Still likes concussion football but I've dealt with worse things; we could afford multiple TVs.

floppo-wife bday party seemed to go really well.

only cracks perhaps happened during her and bff 2-4am blab session after everyone else left. the room/suite was absolutely incredible- I want to live there. this was the space- 360deg unobstructed views of the entire city... really stunning spot. where I was trying to sleep was on the upper part of an open duplex- so even though they were "whispering", voices were raised on occasion and typically surrounding my name which of course was keeping and continuously waking me up. her friend flew in from CA for this, so I didn't want to keep them from doing their thing, even if it might have been at my expense. couldn't hear the specifics other than her final complaint that when I forget things (to do or mention something that's happened) it's because I'm lying. that's good to know- here I thought I was just my usual forgetful self.. at least now I'm more interesting and man-of-mystery like. 

but all-in-all I think it went really well- and if she was able to let some steam off about me (and it didn't appear to all be about me- I think they covered a lot of ground in their 2+ hours) with her oldest and best friend- good.

today- hung-over af friday- will be the proving point. we'll see. 

floppo-wife bday party seemed to go really well.

only cracks perhaps happened during her and bff 2-4am blab session after everyone else left. the room/suite was absolutely incredible- I want to live there. this was the space- 360deg unobstructed views of the entire city... really stunning spot. where I was trying to sleep was on the upper part of an open duplex- so even though they were "whispering", voices were raised on occasion and typically surrounding my name which of course was keeping and continuously waking me up. her friend flew in from CA for this, so I didn't want to keep them from doing their thing, even if it might have been at my expense. couldn't hear the specifics other than her final complaint that when I forget things (to do or mention something that's happened) it's because I'm lying. that's good to know- here I thought I was just my usual forgetful self.. at least now I'm more interesting and man-of-mystery like. 

but all-in-all I think it went really well- and if she was able to let some steam off about me (and it didn't appear to all be about me- I think they covered a lot of ground in their 2+ hours) with her oldest and best friend- good.

today- hung-over af friday- will be the proving point. we'll see. 
Why are you lying to us?

They also bottle and sell their own habanero hot sauce and I bought a bottle and put some on the first Cubano.  Level 11 Cubano achieved.

I don't want to oversell how well things are going for me right now, but I recently found the best Cuban sandwich I've had in years and I bought two today.
Where did you find this?  I have been stuck on the Cochon Butcher Cuban, but I'm always on the lookout for something new. 

I have a poorly lit driveway with a curved wall.   I have plenty of parking, so there are often 3 or 4 cars parked at the bottom of the driveway by my house.  If they leave at night they have to back up the driveway, hoping not to hit the wall.   I got two quotes from landscapers to install 6 low voltage lights along the wall and two small spotlights to light up some landscaping features.  They both wanted about $3,000. 

I bought the lights, wires, connectors and transformer off of Amazon for about $275.  I wired up all of the lights in my living room while I was watching XFL, and then went out, dug a trench for the wires, put the lights in and filled the trench.  Took me about half an hour.   Looks great and works.   I feel like I must have done something wrong, since the quotes were so high.

TLDR Stryker has some probs

I got into an accident a few weeks ago. I caught the car running a red light out of the corner of my eye and sped up just enough for her to catch my rear (insert joke here). If I hadn't she would've hit me in my driver side door and we might not be having this conversation. Insurance took 2 weeks to pay out and ultimately more than we expected. But I walked away. I had just dropped off my daughter who would have taken the brunt of it so I'm beyond happy. 

So then my cousin died. No thopras needed, she was 37 and had a mental rap sheet longer than SLB's dong. 

My customer threw an inventory audit at me that took like 3 days longer than it should have

My wife decided we're selling our house and buying something before April...or we're doing a bridge loan, or I'm pulling money from my 401K or.....I'm still not sure. I literally was yelled at for suggesting another realtor. We haven't even been pre-approved for a loan. 

Now the van I just bought with cash has a door issue and a check engine light. Probably an easy fix but I'm just done. Done

I expect full shtick and hopefully funny replies that everyone else is going through this kind of BS but I'm just a bit overwhelmed. Life came at me really fast and I wasn't prepared. 

Not necessarily asking for advice or anything. Just typing it out kind of helps. TIA and good night
Hang in there GB, if you need anything let me know. I also have a very very good Realtor

Mr.Pack said:
Just got done watching Miracle for at least the 25th time if not more.. I watched it live as well.....

Still gives me goosebumps and I tear up at the end. Every. Single. Time.
Technically you didn't watch it live  :P   ...OMG WHAT A NERD @#$@#$

I too watched it on the broadcast.

If anyone sees a news story in the next few days about a structural engineer in the Chicago suburbs who killed a general contractor and torched a building, it wasn't me.  In my mind it has been me several times over the last few days, but so far I have not acted on those implulses.

If anyone sees a news story in the next few days about a structural engineer in the Chicago suburbs who killed a general contractor and torched a building, it wasn't me.  In my mind it has been me several times over the last few days, but so far I have not acted on those implulses.
No gumption or moxy, eh?

No gumption or moxy, eh?
We are all having a meeting on site tomorrow, so there is still time.  GC is claiming I signed off on something even though I have sent him several emails were what he is claiming is proven false, then he says I was on site and talked about it, when I was never there.  And now that I have thrown him under the bus in a group email he wants to talk it over on the phone.  Funny, he didn't call me before trying to throw me under the bus.

We are all having a meeting on site tomorrow, so there is still time.  GC is claiming I signed off on something even though I have sent him several emails were what he is claiming is proven false, then he says I was on site and talked about it, when I was never there.  And now that I have thrown him under the bus in a group email he wants to talk it over on the phone.  Funny, he didn't call me before trying to throw me under the bus.
I make the mistake every project of thinking we're all one big team collectively trying to do the best project possible. And then I remember contractors.

Seems like it would be in the RFI log.   Also seems like a decent GC contract would require all changes in writing.   

Seems like it would be in the RFI log.   Also seems like a decent GC contract would require all changes in writing.   
Yep & yep. If that's not happening, it's on the owner (or its rep).

I'm not a GC; I'm a subcontractor. But I've had enough dealings with incompetent design teams and GCs to say that absolutes spoken about any part of the design/build group are myopic.

This whole project is a cluster #### going on 5 years now.  Original GC was fired for incompetance, building was left partially exposed to weather. (Architect warned the owners not to pick these guys "but they are much cheaper and say they know what they are doing").  New GC comes in thinking all he needed to do was install drywall and paint.  Wrong, we have spent 2 years finding more things that were installed wrong or missing from the original guy (missing posts and beams, missing connections, missing hangers, columns out of plumb by 2"...).   Most of these fixes were done with emails and phonecalls between myself, the architect and the GC.  "Hey, UofI, we found another missing header, what does it need to be?" and I would respond with an email and they would fix it.  Then the local inspector got involved (who knows what he was doing 4 years ago with the initial GC was cutting out framing) and wanted everything in a stamped drawing that went across his desk first.  Current issues are from right around the time of that "official" change in the relationships.   Roof framing needed to be altered to fit some ducts that weren't installed, truss guy says he can't make the installed trusses work and a structural beam is needed, I reply with a potential size asking if it would fit and tell them what the headers need to be to make the opening, new GC just cuts trusses based on the "stamped" truss guy drawing on how to cut it, but does not install any of my headers.  Last week I walk the site and mention there are no headers installed and we still need to design a beam.  New GC flips claiming I said I was fine if the truss guy provided a stamped repair.  Truss guy only provided a partial solution and that was all that was isntalled.   I should have followed up more on this issue, but everyone got sidetracked by other issues that developed on the job in the last year, and the project manager from the GC who was my main contact had a stroke around this time as well so he has been MIA. 

watching some show about CCTV in England

it's pretty wacky the difference in English cops and American cops.  these CCTV's are catching fistfights in the street, they direct cops there and then the film shows both the cops talking to the suspects and the CCTV observers commenting.

it's terrific. 

20 guys are in the middle of a fight.... CCTV guy says "ooh, looks like he's given that lad a wee bop on the head".  cops show up, but they are more or less crossing guards hoping that no one actually does anything else bad while they're there. no guns, no batons, no mace. nobody gets body slammed head first in to the pavement. no shots fired.

all the people fighting almost immediately calm down and just sort of mill about until the police handcuff one or two people and send everyone else on their way. if they cuff anyone at all. probably they won't. they'll just comment something like "piss off home 'fore ya mum gets worried, mate." and off the drunken louts go.

it's like Monty Python but real life

This whole project is a cluster #### going on 5 years now.  Original GC was fired for incompetance, building was left partially exposed to weather. (Architect warned the owners not to pick these guys "but they are much cheaper and say they know what they are doing").  New GC comes in thinking all he needed to do was install drywall and paint.  Wrong, we have spent 2 years finding more things that were installed wrong or missing from the original guy (missing posts and beams, missing connections, missing hangers, columns out of plumb by 2"...).   Most of these fixes were done with emails and phonecalls between myself, the architect and the GC.  "Hey, UofI, we found another missing header, what does it need to be?" and I would respond with an email and they would fix it.  Then the local inspector got involved (who knows what he was doing 4 years ago with the initial GC was cutting out framing) and wanted everything in a stamped drawing that went across his desk first.  Current issues are from right around the time of that "official" change in the relationships.   Roof framing needed to be altered to fit some ducts that weren't installed, truss guy says he can't make the installed trusses work and a structural beam is needed, I reply with a potential size asking if it would fit and tell them what the headers need to be to make the opening, new GC just cuts trusses based on the "stamped" truss guy drawing on how to cut it, but does not install any of my headers.  Last week I walk the site and mention there are no headers installed and we still need to design a beam.  New GC flips claiming I said I was fine if the truss guy provided a stamped repair.  Truss guy only provided a partial solution and that was all that was isntalled.   I should have followed up more on this issue, but everyone got sidetracked by other issues that developed on the job in the last year, and the project manager from the GC who was my main contact had a stroke around this time as well so he has been MIA. 
This is why I'll always have work.

mr. furley said:
watching some show about CCTV in England

it's pretty wacky the difference in English cops and American cops.  these CCTV's are catching fistfights in the street, they direct cops there and then the film shows both the cops talking to the suspects and the CCTV observers commenting.

it's terrific. 

20 guys are in the middle of a fight.... CCTV guy says "ooh, looks like he's given that lad a wee bop on the head".  cops show up, but they are more or less crossing guards hoping that no one actually does anything else bad while they're there. no guns, no batons, no mace. nobody gets body slammed head first in to the pavement. no shots fired.

all the people fighting almost immediately calm down and just sort of mill about until the police handcuff one or two people and send everyone else on their way. if they cuff anyone at all. probably they won't. they'll just comment something like "piss off home 'fore ya mum gets worried, mate." and off the drunken louts go.

it's like Monty Python but real life
what's the name of the show and what channel/web address - sounds like I may enjoy this

How did you like the "I Am A Killer"?  I watched the first few and it was a bit of a struggle.
well, it's a depressing watch that's for sure. 

interesting in a morbid way. i'm always interested in the real stories vs. the Hollywood version so these interest me.  i'm a fan of The First 48, too. 

there's something about the emotion of hearing these stories that pulls me in. it's hard to say that it's great television in that it's not some entertainment spectacular, but it's hard to look away once you get to watching.

Users who are viewing this thread