Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
General Malaise

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

1 hour ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Optional strategy:  Tell her she "looks pretty great for half a century."  Report back.

Hottest chick over 50. 

1.  Thanks for the feedback on the gas tipping.  Makes me feel better to know it's not standard or expected.  In my favor, I'd also argued to Mr. krista that the guy didn't come to the window again after pumping the gas, instead waving a thank-you from the back of the car, so if I'd wanted to tip I would have had to chase him down.  Anyway, glad I'm not a jerk...for this reason.

2.  @strykerpks, I'm sorry about all your troubles.  Wish I had any words of wisdom, but all I can say is that it does get better, which you already know.  Oddly enough, when Mr. krista totaled my car a year ago it was a similar situation to yours, where he sped up such that the guy running the light hit the back half of the car instead of hitting him directly in the driver's door.  So I totally get how lucky you were to have been smart enough to do that.

3.  @Osaurus, I changed my trip to SD/ND/MT (lucky me!) to the weekend after Labor Day instead of Labor Day, so I'd be up for a Portland area cornhole over Labor Day, too!

• Like 1

In news that the GMTAN can't use, but I just need to throw this out there, too...I have a close colleague, Melissa, who has been out of the office indefinitely, for quite a while.  I knew that her daughter (8ish) had had cancer, and I'd been told that Melissa was out dealing with that.  I didn't ask any more questions or get more info because it wasn't my business.  But then today, the group admin said she was going to send a card to Melissa, and we could send a note to the admin that she would add to the card (since most of us work remotely), so I asked the admin what was happening so that I could tailor my message appropriately.  Well, as it turns out, Melissa's only other child, a son around 5 years old, now also has cancer and is starting treatment.  Holy crap.  It might be the most devastating news I've ever heard for anyone to deal with.  Not that it matters, since no one should have to deal with that, but Melissa is a lovely and wonderful person, and I wish there were anything in the world I could do for her.  Christ.  

• Sad 14

9 hours ago, El Floppo said:

It's the wife's 50th tomorrow. Big party and she's planned more of it than I have.

It's all my fault. Whatever happens tomorrow or otherwise. It's all my fault

Happy birthday to her.  

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

In news that the GMTAN can't use, but I just need to throw this out there, too...I have a close colleague, Melissa, who has been out of the office indefinitely, for quite a while.  I knew that her daughter (8ish) had had cancer, and I'd been told that Melissa was out dealing with that.  I didn't ask any more questions or get more info because it wasn't my business.  But then today, the group admin said she was going to send a card to Melissa, and we could send a note to the admin that she would add to the card (since most of us work remotely), so I asked the admin what was happening so that I could tailor my message appropriately.  Well, as it turns out, Melissa's only other child, a son around 5 years old, now also has cancer and is starting treatment.  Holy crap.  It might be the most devastating news I've ever heard for anyone to deal with.  Not that it matters, since no one should have to deal with that, but Melissa is a lovely and wonderful person, and I wish there were anything in the world I could do for her.  Christ.  

Damn. Did she maybe pass down some sort of cancer gene? Or maybe it's an Erin Brockovich situation?

Gotta be super rare for two kids that young to get both cancer.

Yeah....stressing over inevitable and incoming wife hostilities rates just a tad under two kids with cancer. Jfc. Genetic or environmental...devestatingly awful. Thopras to Melissa and the rest of us as we hold ours tight.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Happy bday la floppa. :oldunsure:

on VD eve ... tough one - like a kid born on 12/24 :shrug:

HAPPY BIRFDAY! 

I finally got an offer accepted on a replacement house. We should close 3/13. What could possibly go wrong?

@kevzilla, I think I'll be close to your hood, off Oak Knoll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, krista4 said:

There was an area around here that started happening to a lot of families.  Two, actually, but one that became the focus of a couple of enormous, decades long cases. I was involved in one. It’s horrible, and I’m so sorry for your colleague. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

I finally got an offer accepted on a replacement house. We should close 3/13. What could possibly go wrong?

Nice. Being a Friday, you’ll have all weekend to get things set up after the 13th. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Lots of senior living around here. We should go halfsies! :lmao:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Nice. Being a Friday, you’ll have all weekend to get things set up after the 13th. 

Yeah, since I'm in a city buyout its nice and complicated. I need to be moved out by the 12th at noon, so the city can do a final inspection before the closing. We'll stay that night in a hotel and they will stow everything until Friday after we close. Good news is the city picks up the movers' tab, about $14k.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, strykerpks said:

Sorry that's GMTAN/FFA lore going back to the early aughts. I actually said it in conversation on NYE and my GB looked at me like a dog that heard a doorbell 3 houses down but he just went with it. I'd advise the same but I'm just a dummy.

Yeah, accidentally letting an, "I'm shuked" fly doesn't turn out much differently. 

6 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Yeah, since I'm in a city buyout its nice and complicated. I need to be moved out by the 12th at noon, so the city can do a final inspection before the closing. We'll stay that night in a hotel and they will stow everything until Friday after we close. Good news is the city picks up the movers' tab, about $14k.

Did you post details of all this and i missed it?

45 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

Lots of senior living around here. We should go halfsies! :lmao:

Really? I hadn't noticed. Might have to relocate my mom if she can handle the move.

44 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, accidentally letting an, "I'm shuked" fly doesn't turn out much differently. 

Or dropping a "pm shuke" when you're trying to get people to stop bothering you about something.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Did you post details of all this and i missed it?

I talked about it now and then. Our house flooded twice and the city put us in a buyout program about three years ago. We got final appraisal (short) and approval around July. We appealed and began looking for houses, did a second appeal and got some additional minor funds. Been looking hard for a house the last mine months. Several deals fell apart and lost out on numerous because of the surging house prices here and everything going higher than listed. Been a ongoing pita for a long time now.

We still have to get through the inspection and appraisal, but for now we are hopeful (last deal blew up after three extensions and underwriting refusing to finance)

1 minute ago, cosjobs said:

I talked about it now and then. Our house flooded twice and the city put us in a buyout program about three years ago. We got final appraisal (short) and approval around July. We appealed and began looking for houses, did a second appeal and got some additional minor funds. Been looking hard for a house the last mine months. Several deals fell apart and lost out on numerous because of the surging house prices here and everything going higher than listed. Been a ongoing pita for a long time now.

We still have to get through the inspection and appraisal, but for now we are hopeful (last deal blew up after three extensions and underwriting refusing to finance)

What did you lie to the underwriter about?😁

And what are you moving that costs 14k?

Ah, the flooding. Yes, I recall that. Didn't realize the buyout program part, I think. Nice place.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

What did you lie to the underwriter about?😁

And what are you moving that costs 14k?

THe seller lied. Said there was an apartment downstairs and it turns out it was an unpermitted addition, that was not only illegal to use as an apartment, but could not even be counted toward total square footage, since it was not connected to main living area. We had offered 605, first appraisal came back 480, second 555, and UW did not did the discrepancies and refused to underwrite. Once we found out all the info, we offered 530, but they held firm at 575 and we were glad to just get out of it.

Moving a hoarder is expensive, especially since they pack, store and unpack.

• Thanks 1

There’s a strange issue with houses in my area - every extra bathroom costs an extra $110,000.00 on a house.  I often joke that if we decide to sell we’ll convert two of the bedrooms into bathrooms and sell a 1 bedroom, 4 bath at about your price. 

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Like 2

Just now, Henry Ford said:

There’s a strange issue with houses in my area - every extra bathroom costs an extra $110,000.00 on a house.  I often joke that if we decide to sell we’ll convert two of the bedrooms into bathrooms and sell a 1 bedroom, 4 bath at about your price. 

yeah, this having three full baths was a real bonus for us. Two or even two and a half is much less desirable.

Nice house.  I'd get rid of a couple trees but great pool, nice bathrooms....:thumbup:

And man, do I love this location. Its tucked back in a neighborhood, but within a $12 Uber of hundreds of bars, restaurants, theaters, and libraries. I will be selling a car and utilizing my electric bike and Uber a lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eoMMan said:

Nice house.  I'd get rid of a couple trees but great pool, nice bathrooms....:thumbup:

lol. first order of business is bathroom remodel. Getting rid of oaks in austin is frowned upon or even illegal. And I don't like losing them either, but they could likely use some thinning out for overall health.

• Thinking 1

In other GMTAN news...there was a cornhole last night with hack, GM and smoo.

We got pretty crazy.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

4 hours ago, cosjobs said:

And man, do I love this location. Its tucked back in a neighborhood, but within a $12 Uber of hundreds of bars, restaurants, theaters, and libraries. I will be selling a car and utilizing my electric bike and Uber a lot.

Nice.  Not having a car is quite liberating.  I'm on a full year now without a car of my own.  

Also recently switched insurance to MetroMile which has cut our premium down significantly.  Anybody else use this?  They charge by the mile.  Rather nice concept, especially if you have a teenage driver who isn't putting on a ton of mile.

Just now, General Malaise said:

Nice.  Not having a car is quite liberating.  I'm on a full year now without a car of my own.  

Also recently switched insurance to MetroMile which has cut our premium down significantly.  Anybody else use this?  They charge by the mile.  Rather nice concept, especially if you have a teenage driver who isn't putting on a ton of mile.

I used MetroMile for a couple years, but they quit selling it inTX

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, urbanhack said:

In other GMTAN news...there was a cornhole last night with hack, GM and smoo.

We got pretty crazy.

Total of 2 beers and 2 White Claws between the 3 of us?  CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYY!!!

• Like 2

I looked at it, but it didn't make sense for me.  I guess I drive a lot even though I'm single and work from home.    🤔

Total of 2 beers and 2 White Claws between the 3 of us?  CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYY!!!

So you are saying you were the only one drinking?

17 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Hack - 2 beers (may or may not have smoked a bowl in the car)
Smoo - 2 white claws
GM - 1 CBD Cider - 1 Hoppy Soda

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

If my wife died before me, would it be too weird to share a house with an old friend? Same age as me, which is getting up there. Maybe even old enough not to give a rat's patootie what anyone thought.

9 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

If my wife died before me, would it be too weird to share a house with an old friend? Same age as me, which is getting up there. Maybe even old enough not to give a rat's patootie what anyone thought.

Is he a Leo?

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

:no:

Sober February and yet I still managed to catch my gas grill on fire. :bag:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, roadkill1292 said:

How big is the house?

1 hour ago, urbanhack said:

How big is the house?

How is the friend?

19 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Ideally, smaller than the house. 

Depends on the house, I guess

5 minutes ago, cosjobs said:
24 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Ideally, smaller than the house. 

Depends on the house, I guess

Unless she's a brick.....

House.

16 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Damn. Did she maybe pass down some sort of cancer gene? Or maybe it's an Erin Brockovich situation?

Probably acute myeloid leukemia. Known to run through twins and siblings.

20 minutes ago, Tecumseh said:
16 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Probably acute myeloid leukemia. Known to run through twins and siblings.

Interesting; didn't know that.  But not the case here.  The first child was either bladder or kidney cancer; I'm forgetting which one.  I don't know about the second child.

45 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Interesting; didn't know that.  But not the case here.  The first child was either bladder or kidney cancer; I'm forgetting which one.  I don't know about the second child.

That sounds remarkably familiar.

• Thinking 1

7 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Hack - 2 beers (may or may not have smoked a bowl in the car)
Smoo - 2 white claws
GM - 1 CBD Cider - 1 Hoppy Soda

WTF

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Wow. That's getting into some pretty rare stuff. I think since I've been here I've seen Wilm's tumor (most common kidney cancer) maybe twice. I have yet to see a bladder cancer, that I can recall.

Edited by Tecumseh
  • Thinking 1

15 hours ago, urbanhack said:

How big is the house?

Three BRs.

14 hours ago, cosjobs said:

How is the friend?

Good guy, longtime sports writer (which is how we met), Newcastle supporter so he understands suffering as a fan. Still likes concussion football but I've dealt with worse things; we could afford multiple TVs.

floppo-wife bday party seemed to go really well.

only cracks perhaps happened during her and bff 2-4am blab session after everyone else left. the room/suite was absolutely incredible- I want to live there. this was the space- 360deg unobstructed views of the entire city... really stunning spot. where I was trying to sleep was on the upper part of an open duplex- so even though they were "whispering", voices were raised on occasion and typically surrounding my name which of course was keeping and continuously waking me up. her friend flew in from CA for this, so I didn't want to keep them from doing their thing, even if it might have been at my expense. couldn't hear the specifics other than her final complaint that when I forget things (to do or mention something that's happened) it's because I'm lying. that's good to know- here I thought I was just my usual forgetful self.. at least now I'm more interesting and man-of-mystery like. 

but all-in-all I think it went really well- and if she was able to let some steam off about me (and it didn't appear to all be about me- I think they covered a lot of ground in their 2+ hours) with her oldest and best friend- good.

today- hung-over af friday- will be the proving point. we'll see.