Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
General Malaise

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

Recommended Posts

It might have worked, but her daughter is sick on her couch. :oldunsure: 

I'm going to the bar, because there's no way the virus can survive my combo therapy of Captain Morgan and Diet Coke.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 11:26 AM, krista4 said:

The US isn’t going to prevent people from coming back if they’ve been to Europe.  

update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's more women than men in this bar for the first time in history. We don't know what to do with ourselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cosjobs said:

update?

8-hour waits to get through customs at Ohare may do it though

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone here familiar with some on-line board games (old school like Risk or Monopoly, Password, Jeopardy etc.)

And bored enough to play?

 

eta - yet?

 

 

Edited by cosjobs
pandemic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NYC schools closed until late April.

#### got even realer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the 25 (or whatever) largest school HS districts in California ours is the only one not shut down.

My school is not part of that district but we follow their lead at almost every turn.

Nice knowing you guys.

 Tell your wife I love her.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey gang, sorry for being a horrible iFriend.   Let's be honest, I love you guys and think about you all the time.

 

Let me get the bad news out of the way first.  My Mother has lung cancer. It's malignant. She just turned 69 and hasn't had a cig in almost 40 years.  Dad doesn't smoke either except when I'm a horrible influence on him and we're getting drunk together.  SWEAR TO GOD, SAVE IT, everything will be okay one way or another. I admit that I'm scared to death that if she were to pass Dad would be right behind her.  They love each other so much.  Scared but that gives me comfort too.  I wish we could all love each other as much as those two love each other.

Good news is Dylan turned 13 today.  Kid is doing well as always.  He's like Cool Hand, things just seem easy for him.  He started playing basketball last year and killing it. He's almost 6' already. It's like an adult playing with children.  Needless to say, really fun to watch. He's also ripping the cover off the baseball.  He was somewhat close at the end of last season but I think he may actually hit a few over the fence this year and they're college type fields.  Most importantly he's still excelling at school.  Puberty is a kick in the ### and there seems to be an endless stream of girls at the door looking for him but he has gotten almost all A's and a few B's since 1Q.  They placed him in all honors classes so he wasn't used to being challenged that much.

The great news is Cal is doing wonderful. No calls from school, no crazy outbursts.  His second consecutive quarter of straight A's.  He somehow managed to get a B in computers in 1Q which is mind boggling or else he would have a clean sweep. He has friends.  Damn it anyway that makes me happier than anything. A friend of his stopped by today out of the blue to give him a Popeye's chicken sandwich.  About a dozen times now he has been gone all day and into the night. He's responsible though, unlike his old man, and  doesn't drink or smoke.  He's happy....what more could I ask for?  Other than of course him playing football!!  He's closing in on 6'2 and will be 16 in May.   He has lost a lot of weight too. Walks almost every day and doesn't snack all the time.

I make sure to tell both of my boys how proud I am of them on a regular basis.  They don't follow  my "words of wisdom" all the time but it's obvious they take it to heart.

Pep is doing well after he back surgery.   My knees miss all of the pain pills on hand.  I can't squat and stand up without extreme pain. So I started taking guitar lessons.  After 3 lessons I'm basically Jimi Hendrix already.

Edited by St. Louis Bob
  • Like 3
  • Love 23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Feel free to ask questions. I'm trying to be better

What would it be like if our knees bent the other way? 

How many buttons have you snapped in your life?

  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, strykerpks said:
22 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Feel free to ask questions. I'm trying to be better

What would it be like if our knees bent the other way? 

How many buttons have you snapped in your life?

how many times have you "Z snapped"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, strykerpks said:

What would it be like if our knees bent the other way? 

How many buttons have you snapped in your life?

We could lick our own privates and nothing would get done.

Less than 100 probably.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Know who I miss? My Great Grandmother.  My Father's, Mother, Mother. I was lucky enough to have her around  into my mid 30's.  Right now she would put her hand on mine and say "everything is going to be alright doll".  She was ####### tough as nails most of the time but she also knew how  to read a situation. She kept things in order. She kept the family in order. I miss her so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to cut her grass every week as a kid. It was tough work. She had a big yard with a lot of slopes and fruit trees. (When you live through the Depression you plant fruit trees)

After a time, several years, I was probably 15, she offered me a beer after work. I was a man. Sit down, cool off,relax with her.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all called her Nonnie and she ruled the Family.

Just like everything in my life I was made to work. So when I was taught to cut her grass at 11 it's what I did, no questions asked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She was always keeping an eye on me. Probably knew I wasn't the best role model. Waited for the right moment.........I was what I was and now  I'm not anymore. She taught me that. It was a possibility.  She didn't try to change me, just laid out the possibilities. I'm glad I listened. I saw one of very GB from back in the day in the paper arrested and going away for a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the  final chapter to the story is I do my very best to teach my boys life is fleeting and they need to be the best they can. That's why I started guitar.  I pushed, they pushed back.

 

Game on

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Know who I miss? My Great Grandmother.  My Father's, Mother, Mother. I was lucky enough to have her around  into my mid 30's.  Right now she would put her hand on mine and say "everything is going to be alright doll".  She was ####### tough as nails most of the time but she also knew how  to read a situation. She kept things in order. She kept the family in order. I miss her so.

Everything will be alright, doll

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Welcome back, Bob. Love the update and nonnie story. Keep you and your brood safe.

ETA. You've been away awhile...there's thing called "hippling". Pm shuke for more info.

Eta2...why I meant to reply in the first place...so sorry to hear about your mom, but so thankful to hear about your folks' love for eachother. My wife will be dancing a jig on top of the insurance money after I'm gone.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 7:07 PM, bostonfred said:

Upside - get to use that "even if i was the last man on earth?" vibe while you can.  

Downside - it might work and then she might not leave until April.  

https://youtu.be/1jO2wSpAoxA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, St. Louis Bob said:

We all called her Nonnie and she ruled the Family.

Just like everything in my life I was made to work. So when I was taught to cut her grass at 11 it's what I did, no questions asked.

The kids called my mom 'Nonny' (rhymes with 'Nonnie').  Which is pretty cool since we both have/had important Nonnies in our life. 

After my mom/Nonny died (about two years ago now), a pair of mourning doves started visiting us.  One will remain up on a wire and the other will forage around the yard or garden, drink from the bird bath (got that for my wife on mother's day) or hop around the bern where we planted a dogwood on top of my mom's ashes.  Even for a godless heathen like me, I find it comforting and so when it started, I began saying "Hi nonny!" when the dove would come visit.  She isn't scared of us and will fly down even when we're outside working in the yard or watching the kids ride bikes.  

What really warms the old heart - especially on days like this weekend where uncertainty and worry have set in - is when I hear one of the twins (now four) say out loud "Hey, Nonny is here!  Hi Nonny!".  Happened yesterday and it gave me a little joy and solace.  

To Nonnies!  :cheers:

 

Edited by General Malaise
  • Like 19
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would have stayed in Maui longer if my wife had taken her laptop. That was really short-sighted in retrospect. Things were much less stupid there. On the plane on the way back, the woman across the aisle was telling us her life's story, and she was the Gary Payton of storytellers. I couldn't shake her for anything. At some point she said she was incredibly relieved to be headed home, "Because being stranded in Maui would be a nightmare."

I couldn't restrain my smartassedness any longer and let her know being stranded in Boise would be a nightmare. Being "stranded" in Maui would be a ####### gift. Well, it turns out she really likes Boise. She has a brother who lives there and... long story short, I'm in the market for noise canceling headphones.

  • Like 5
  • Laughing 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

The kids called my mom 'Nonny' (rhymes with 'Nonnie').  Which is pretty cool since we both have/had important Nonnies in our life. 

After my mom/Nonny died (about two years ago now), a pair of mourning doves started visiting us.  One will remain up on a wire and the other will forage around the yard or garden, drink from the bird bath (got that for my wife on mother's day) or hop around the bern where we planted a dogwood on top of my mom's ashes.  Even for a godless heathen like me, I find it comforting and so when it started, I began saying "Hi nonny!" when the dove would come visit.  She isn't scared of us and will fly down even when we're outside working in the yard or watching the kids ride bikes.  

What really warms the old heart - especially on days like this weekend where uncertainty and worry have set in - is when I hear one of the twins (now four) say out loud "Hey, Nonny is here!  Hi Nonny!".  Happened yesterday and it gave me a little joy and solace.  

To Nonnies!  :cheers:

 

I called my grandmother Nonny.  Apparently she was a tough, difficult person to deal with and maybe even outright mean to some, but I would have never known it.  She was sweet to her grandchildren and spoiled us rotten.   Always made cookies, including bird's nest cookies that I have not seen since she died many years ago.

So, to Nonnies!:banned:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

The kids called my mom 'Nonny' (rhymes with 'Nonnie').  Which is pretty cool since we both have/had important Nonnies in our life. 

After my mom/Nonny died (about two years ago now), a pair of mourning doves started visiting us.  One will remain up on a wire and the other will forage around the yard or garden, drink from the bird bath (got that for my wife on mother's day) or hop around the bern where we planted a dogwood on top of my mom's ashes.  Even for a godless heathen like me, I find it comforting and so when it started, I began saying "Hi nonny!" when the dove would come visit.  She isn't scared of us and will fly down even when we're outside working in the yard or watching the kids ride bikes.  

What really warms the old heart - especially on days like this weekend where uncertainty and worry have set in - is when I hear one of the twins (now four) say out loud "Hey, Nonny is here!  Hi Nonny!".  Happened yesterday and it gave me a little joy and solace.  

To Nonnies!  :cheers:

 

Also 'Dawny'.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, facook said:

Also 'Dawny'.

and "Donnie"

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Whelp...now all county schools closed by EOD Wednesday.

Tomorrow is the last day until April 14.  

As of now we still have to go in every day.

No idea why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My niece joking called my mom Me-Maw one time and my mom was like oh my god I hate that.  Years later once we had kids of our own I made them refer to her has Me-Maw and she has since embraced it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Tomorrow is the last day until April 14.  

As of now we still have to go in every day.

No idea why.

Hard to fire old teachers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Tomorrow is the last day until April 14.  

As of now we still have to go in every day.

No idea why.

Same reason the company I work for was quick to send out an internal email saying that our services are essential when the governor ordered that all non-essential businesses be closed: because management hates the idea of employees thinking they can just sit home doing nothing for several weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GroveDiesel said:

Same reason the company I work for was quick to send out an internal email saying that our services are essential when the governor ordered that all non-essential businesses be closed: because management hates the idea of employees thinking they can just sit home doing nothing for several weeks.

my company issued a handbook that said we are considered "critical to US infrastructure".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, St. Louis Bob said:

Hey gang, sorry for being a horrible iFriend.   Let's be honest, I love you guys and think about you all the time.

 

Let me get the bad news out of the way first.  My Mother has lung cancer. It's malignant. She just turned 69 and hasn't had a cig in almost 40 years.  Dad doesn't smoke either except when I'm a horrible influence on him and we're getting drunk together.  SWEAR TO GOD, SAVE IT, everything will be okay one way or another. I admit that I'm scared to death that if she were to pass Dad would be right behind her.  They love each other so much.  Scared but that gives me comfort too.  I wish we could all love each other as much as those two love each other.

Good news is Dylan turned 13 today.  Kid is doing well as always.  He's like Cool Hand, things just seem easy for him.  He started playing basketball last year and killing it. He's almost 6' already. It's like an adult playing with children.  Needless to say, really fun to watch. He's also ripping the cover off the baseball.  He was somewhat close at the end of last season but I think he may actually hit a few over the fence this year and they're college type fields.  Most importantly he's still excelling at school.  Puberty is a kick in the ### and there seems to be an endless stream of girls at the door looking for him but he has gotten almost all A's and a few B's since 1Q.  They placed him in all honors classes so he wasn't used to being challenged that much.

The great news is Cal is doing wonderful. No calls from school, no crazy outbursts.  His second consecutive quarter of straight A's.  He somehow managed to get a B in computers in 1Q which is mind boggling or else he would have a clean sweep. He has friends.  Damn it anyway that makes me happier than anything. A friend of his stopped by today out of the blue to give him a Popeye's chicken sandwich.  About a dozen times now he has been gone all day and into the night. He's responsible though, unlike his old man, and  doesn't drink or smoke.  He's happy....what more could I ask for?  Other than of course him playing football!!  He's closing in on 6'2 and will be 16 in May.   He has lost a lot of weight too. Walks almost every day and doesn't snack all the time.

I make sure to tell both of my boys how proud I am of them on a regular basis.  They don't follow  my "words of wisdom" all the time but it's obvious they take it to heart.

Pep is doing well after he back surgery.   My knees miss all of the pain pills on hand.  I can't squat and stand up without extreme pain. So I started taking guitar lessons.  After 3 lessons I'm basically Jimi Hendrix already.

Aw, my sweet GB.  You know I’m a huge fan of Dyl and Cal.  So happy to hear updates on them.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2020 at 11:33 AM, krista4 said:

Have you been to Prague and Berlin before?  They’re both amazing.  And yes, Amsterdam would seem up your alley, too.  I’ve only been there for about 24 hours and need to go back!

mmm... Vleminckx!

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We pronounced Nonnie as "no-knee" although I've heard the Italians pronounce it "nah-knee" like you guys have posted.   Of course she was German and didn't learn English until her 30's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having SLB back is a comfort in these troubling times. Truly, a river unto his people. :wub: 

  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I survived the hamptons yesterday, in case you guys were worried.

honestly no idea what NYC will look like over the coming week. I know home will be a living a hell, with all four of us crammed in there 24/7. I'm at the office now- might use it as a refuge from that... about 10% of our staff is here, the rest "working" remotely. but I'm hearing buildings (I'm talking uppity white folk NYC apartment buildings where a lot of our projects are located) are either shutting down completely (for outsiders) or are requiring serious check-ins for all outside contractors- masks, gloves, limited numbers, temperature checks. tomorrow, who knows.

we're stocked up for now, supply-chain willing. although I wanted to strangle and force-feed one of my cats for thumbing her nose at her breakfast this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Tomorrow is the last day until April 14.  

As of now we still have to go in every day.

No idea why.

Just notified that we will be working from home starting tomorrow.  Carry on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TBH, I'd rather work unmasked and ungloved from the manure stalls of the camel race track in Pakistan than work from home.

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

TBH, I'd rather work unmasked and ungloved from the manure stalls of the camel race track in Pakistan than work from home.

I always work from home and I love it, but it's usually just me and the cat.   Roverkid is learning new songs on her electric guitar to pass the time, so that's a bit distracting but if it gets bad I'll close my door and listen to a podcast.

Trying the Drizzly app for the first time.  They just called and my booze delivery is going to be early.   Keeping the bar stocked is a priority, and yesterday I noticed the grocery store was out of most normal brands and was filling in the gaps with weird liqueurs to make the shelves look full and not panic the drinkers.  

Also, wine.com $20 off every order of $200.   

Edited by -fish-
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

TBH, I'd rather work unmasked and ungloved from the manure stalls of the camel race track in Pakistan than work from home.

painting with words ...so beautiful

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This work from fully/over-stocked home thing... As hard as it's been to stop touching my face- need to stop eating all this food.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a group text because someone found a gas station that had toilet paper.   

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy working from home, but I’m used to doing it at least a couple days a week. I love cranking up the music and not having to wear headphones, the bathrooms are much cleaner, and the break room is first rate. My home office is much better than either my cube at my office or the one at my client’s building. Have I mentioned the commute? I know not everyone has the choice, but try working at home a chance. It’s inevitable anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Just got a group text because someone found a gas station that had toilet paper.   

My son works at a sports apparel shop in the mall.  Jerseys, shirts, hats, and everything and anything you can sell with a Boise St logo on it.  Some guy came in yesterday and noticed they had Boise St hand sanitizer.   My son said he's never seen anyone buy it and it's been on the shelf for months.  This guy bought all five boxes they had. :lmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drizzly is awesome.   Just got 5 bottles of booze delivered to my door.   I'm rocking this social distancing thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.