Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
General Malaise

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

Just got done watching Miracle for at least the 25th time if not more.. I watched it live as well.....

Still gives me goosebumps and I tear up at the end. Every. Single. Time.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2020 at 10:18 PM, Mr.Pack said:

Just got done watching Miracle for at least the 25th time if not more.. I watched it live as well.....

Still gives me goosebumps and I tear up at the end. Every. Single. Time.

Technically you didn't watch it live  :P  ...OMG WHAT A NERD @#$@#$

I too watched it on the broadcast.

• Laughing 1

If anyone sees a news story in the next few days about a structural engineer in the Chicago suburbs who killed a general contractor and torched a building, it wasn't me.  In my mind it has been me several times over the last few days, but so far I have not acted on those implulses.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, UOFI_316 said:

If anyone sees a news story in the next few days about a structural engineer in the Chicago suburbs who killed a general contractor and torched a building, it wasn't me.  In my mind it has been me several times over the last few days, but so far I have not acted on those implulses.

No gumption or moxy, eh?

4 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

No gumption or moxy, eh?

it's a question of ethics

5 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

it's a question of ethics

Or guts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

No gumption or moxy, eh?

We are all having a meeting on site tomorrow, so there is still time.  GC is claiming I signed off on something even though I have sent him several emails were what he is claiming is proven false, then he says I was on site and talked about it, when I was never there.  And now that I have thrown him under the bus in a group email he wants to talk it over on the phone.  Funny, he didn't call me before trying to throw me under the bus.

13 minutes ago, UOFI_316 said:

We are all having a meeting on site tomorrow, so there is still time.  GC is claiming I signed off on something even though I have sent him several emails were what he is claiming is proven false, then he says I was on site and talked about it, when I was never there.  And now that I have thrown him under the bus in a group email he wants to talk it over on the phone.  Funny, he didn't call me before trying to throw me under the bus.

I make the mistake every project of thinking we're all one big team collectively trying to do the best project possible. And then I remember contractors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UOFI_316 said:

Seems like it would be in the RFI log.   Also seems like a decent GC contract would require all changes in writing.   

35 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Seems like it would be in the RFI log.   Also seems like a decent GC contract would require all changes in writing.   

Yep & yep. If that's not happening, it's on the owner (or its rep).

I'm not a GC; I'm a subcontractor. But I've had enough dealings with incompetent design teams and GCs to say that absolutes spoken about any part of the design/build group are myopic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -fish- said:

This whole project is a cluster #### going on 5 years now.  Original GC was fired for incompetance, building was left partially exposed to weather. (Architect warned the owners not to pick these guys "but they are much cheaper and say they know what they are doing").  New GC comes in thinking all he needed to do was install drywall and paint.  Wrong, we have spent 2 years finding more things that were installed wrong or missing from the original guy (missing posts and beams, missing connections, missing hangers, columns out of plumb by 2"...).   Most of these fixes were done with emails and phonecalls between myself, the architect and the GC.  "Hey, UofI, we found another missing header, what does it need to be?" and I would respond with an email and they would fix it.  Then the local inspector got involved (who knows what he was doing 4 years ago with the initial GC was cutting out framing) and wanted everything in a stamped drawing that went across his desk first.  Current issues are from right around the time of that "official" change in the relationships.   Roof framing needed to be altered to fit some ducts that weren't installed, truss guy says he can't make the installed trusses work and a structural beam is needed, I reply with a potential size asking if it would fit and tell them what the headers need to be to make the opening, new GC just cuts trusses based on the "stamped" truss guy drawing on how to cut it, but does not install any of my headers.  Last week I walk the site and mention there are no headers installed and we still need to design a beam.  New GC flips claiming I said I was fine if the truss guy provided a stamped repair.  Truss guy only provided a partial solution and that was all that was isntalled.   I should have followed up more on this issue, but everyone got sidetracked by other issues that developed on the job in the last year, and the project manager from the GC who was my main contact had a stroke around this time as well so he has been MIA. 

watching some show about CCTV in England

it's pretty wacky the difference in English cops and American cops.  these CCTV's are catching fistfights in the street, they direct cops there and then the film shows both the cops talking to the suspects and the CCTV observers commenting.

it's terrific. 

20 guys are in the middle of a fight.... CCTV guy says "ooh, looks like he's given that lad a wee bop on the head".  cops show up, but they are more or less crossing guards hoping that no one actually does anything else bad while they're there. no guns, no batons, no mace. nobody gets body slammed head first in to the pavement. no shots fired.

all the people fighting almost immediately calm down and just sort of mill about until the police handcuff one or two people and send everyone else on their way. if they cuff anyone at all. probably they won't. they'll just comment something like "piss off home 'fore ya mum gets worried, mate." and off the drunken louts go.

it's like Monty Python but real life

1 hour ago, UOFI_316 said:

This whole project is a cluster #### going on 5 years now.  Original GC was fired for incompetance, building was left partially exposed to weather. (Architect warned the owners not to pick these guys "but they are much cheaper and say they know what they are doing").  New GC comes in thinking all he needed to do was install drywall and paint.  Wrong, we have spent 2 years finding more things that were installed wrong or missing from the original guy (missing posts and beams, missing connections, missing hangers, columns out of plumb by 2"...).   Most of these fixes were done with emails and phonecalls between myself, the architect and the GC.  "Hey, UofI, we found another missing header, what does it need to be?" and I would respond with an email and they would fix it.  Then the local inspector got involved (who knows what he was doing 4 years ago with the initial GC was cutting out framing) and wanted everything in a stamped drawing that went across his desk first.  Current issues are from right around the time of that "official" change in the relationships.   Roof framing needed to be altered to fit some ducts that weren't installed, truss guy says he can't make the installed trusses work and a structural beam is needed, I reply with a potential size asking if it would fit and tell them what the headers need to be to make the opening, new GC just cuts trusses based on the "stamped" truss guy drawing on how to cut it, but does not install any of my headers.  Last week I walk the site and mention there are no headers installed and we still need to design a beam.  New GC flips claiming I said I was fine if the truss guy provided a stamped repair.  Truss guy only provided a partial solution and that was all that was isntalled.   I should have followed up more on this issue, but everyone got sidetracked by other issues that developed on the job in the last year, and the project manager from the GC who was my main contact had a stroke around this time as well so he has been MIA. 

This is why I'll always have work.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, mr. furley said:

watching some show about CCTV in England

it's pretty wacky the difference in English cops and American cops.  these CCTV's are catching fistfights in the street, they direct cops there and then the film shows both the cops talking to the suspects and the CCTV observers commenting.

it's terrific. 

20 guys are in the middle of a fight.... CCTV guy says "ooh, looks like he's given that lad a wee bop on the head".  cops show up, but they are more or less crossing guards hoping that no one actually does anything else bad while they're there. no guns, no batons, no mace. nobody gets body slammed head first in to the pavement. no shots fired.

all the people fighting almost immediately calm down and just sort of mill about until the police handcuff one or two people and send everyone else on their way. if they cuff anyone at all. probably they won't. they'll just comment something like "piss off home 'fore ya mum gets worried, mate." and off the drunken louts go.

it's like Monty Python but real life

what's the name of the show and what channel/web address - sounds like I may enjoy this

4 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

what's the name of the show and what channel/web address - sounds like I may enjoy this

Netflix and.. i have no idea the show name off the top of my head. i'll have to check later.

it was recommended to me because i watched "I Am a Killer".

Just now, mr. furley said:

Netflix and.. i have no idea the show name off the top of my head. i'll have to check later.

Thanks - let us know when you check it.  How did you like the "I Am A Killer"?  I watched the first few and it was a bit of a struggle.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

How did you like the "I Am A Killer"?  I watched the first few and it was a bit of a struggle.

well, it's a depressing watch that's for sure. 

interesting in a morbid way. i'm always interested in the real stories vs. the Hollywood version so these interest me.  i'm a fan of The First 48, too. 

there's something about the emotion of hearing these stories that pulls me in. it's hard to say that it's great television in that it's not some entertainment spectacular, but it's hard to look away once you get to watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

"I Am a Killer".

Furley, wait

1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

Yeah, I guess.  

Love the  enthusiasm.

Edited by DA RAIDERS

the dorms at BYU must be a hoot

Trashy blonde at the bar shows me a picture of her in her uniform, like I wouldn't believe she was a strip-club waitress. Never a dull moment around here. 

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Guy, my beloved Stoner Poodle has not drunk or eaten anything for two days.He cannot lift his head, much less get off the couch.

Poor dude, I loved him so much for so long, its going to be very hard to put him down this afternoon, but I know its the right thing to do.

Why do dog deaths make me cry so ####### much?

Send him kind thoughts on his way out and burn one in his honor tonight.

He had a great life and lived longer than most poodles, so there should be few regrets. But there are.

Goodbye dear friend. Say hi to my sister and my dad.

• Love 6
  • Sad 21

49 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

Guy, my beloved Stoner Poodle has not drunk or eaten anything for two days.He cannot lift his head, much less get off the couch.

Poor dude, I loved him so much for so long, its going to be very hard to put him down this afternoon, but I know its the right thing to do.

He had a great life and lived longer than most poodles, so there should be few regrets. But there are.

That sucks cos. You gave him a great life and are doing right by him now. So sorry for your impending loss.

• Thanks 1

Currently at an Urgent Care place to hopefully remove the copious amount of earwax currently jamming up my right ear. Tried drops and a bunch of other crap for the last week and nothing has worked. This place is scary. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cosjobs said:

sorry cos

• Thanks 1

Sorry gb. rip stonerpoodle

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cosjobs said:

sorry brother.  :(

• Thanks 1

:(

all the loves to you and SP, cos

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 2:50 PM, mr. furley said:

My wife just watched a series called "Why Wives Kill" or something like that. I told just make it painless.

:oldunsure:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr.Pack said:

My wife just watched a series called "Why Wives Kill" or something like that. I told just make it painless.

:oldunsure:

I’d escape because  mine couldn’t take less than 5 minutes to tell me she going to kill me and I would have already figured that out about 10 seconds in.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

When picking me up at the airport one time, my father dressed up as a blind person with sunglasses and the blind person’s cane so they would let him take the dog into the airport.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 5

####. More awful news.

I met with a couple last October for a financial review. They brought their two young kids along to my office.

I suggested that they should seriously look into life insurance. The wife thought it was a good idea to protect the kids, but he thought $35/month combined for two term policies was too much of a burden on their budget, which it wasn’t.  Needless to say they walked out of the office without it and ignored my other advice too. I followed up with them afterwards to see if they had a change of heart and she said he did, but “now wasn’t the right time”. I have bigger fish to fry, so I moved on and figured they would call me if/when they are ready.

Today I get a call from the wife’s sister because I was on her calendar as a reminder to call about life insurance. She asks if she can report a claim, and I told her that they decided not to do anything. She broke down and cried for what felt like 15 minutes as my heart sank.

Turns out the husband got belligerent drunk while the wife was out of the house with the son, and the daughter was on the phone with her scared. The wife told the daughter to lock herself in her bedroom until she got home and then she would drive them to the grandparents. Wife walked in and the husband stabbed her to death in front of the daughter before fleeing the scene and abandoning the kids. He got arrested and is charged with murder and abandoning the children.

First my old next door neighbor charged with murder for stabbing someone to death, and now this and they happened only days apart. All I can think of is those kids sitting in my office and what that girl must be going through now. She is going to need a lifetime of counseling. I’ve been physically ill since I got that call this afternoon. :( 

• Sad 12

On 2/8/2020 at 9:29 PM, El Floppo said:
1/31/2020 at 4:33 PM, El Floppo said:

Every time I see the kobe thread sitting at the top of the page, I think of generalissimo Franco. Which probably makes me a bad person.

A month later. Still. 

Holy ####..  nothing on TV, so I'm watching my first college hoops game of the year.  AZ vs USC.   And Bill Walton is blazed to the max talking all sorts of nonsense.

ETA:  The more I think about it, he might of been on acid.

Talking to the other announcer:
"I don't even know what your name is."
"I like flowers."
"I have no idea who Dak Prescott is."

There were about a dozen more of these.  Should have taped it. Main announcer was laughing hard when then game ended.

There was a guy with the last name of Anderson on AZ.  I can't remember his first name.  I'll call him Mark.  "Mark Anderson, not to be confused with Ian Anderson....."

Edited by Getzlaf15
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1

Confession time: whenever I listen to a podcast, even really good ones, I fall asleep five minutes in. Something about the soothing sounds of talking, or maybe this is how my age manifests itself.

9 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Holy ####..  nothing on TV, so I'm watching my first college hoops game of the year.  AZ vs USC.   And Bill Walton is blazed to the max talking all sorts of nonsense.

"I like flowers."

There were about a dozen more of these.  Should have taped it. Main announcer was laughing hard when then game ended.

There was a guy with the last name of Anderson on AZ.  I can't remember his first name.  I'll call him Mark.  "Mark Anderson, not to be confused with Ian Anderson....."

any time Walton is on the call, i tap out immediately.  can't stand this shtick.

just analyze the game and let the conversation happen organically. he tries to make the broadcast about himself, bloviating on whatever stream of consciousness that pops in to his head in the moment.

• Like 2

It's really helpful if you're just as blazed as Walton, so you can achieve the same vibration. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

10 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

"I like flowers."

Caliendo was on with him during a game last week.  I'm sure there are clips of it floating around the internet.  Caliendo was great.

16 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

"I like flowers."

I love the guy.  

9 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I love the guy.  

I dont mind him.  He was just 10x more out there than usual.   

• Like 1

Email of the week!

P:

I recently became a new father. A baby boy. He's tall and skinny, but he's healthy. I love him. He's great. I'm a chef (I hate this term, but it's what people call what I do) but I don't think you need to be one to have a constant and pervading question when you're holding your child: How would I cook this little nugget? My first inclination is roasting him slow as a whole piece of meat. Simple seasoning I think would be key. My first thought was a kind of clam bake with corn, potatoes, and lobsters. My wife suggested a lau lau style wrapping him up in taro leaves or in banana leaves. But I also think that maybe taking advantage of his tenderness would also make sense. Quickly seared cutlets or even some sashimi. Thoughts?

I think spit-roasting would be the move. Like a suckling pig. That way you get a nice crackle on the skin. Now that's good baby!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

It would be funny if I was sure the guy wasn't some peta doucher. 

Outside of Jonathon Swift, Gahan did it much better in the multi-page comic book styled "Baby Eating Through the Centuries" in National Lampoon in the 70s.    

Edited by Binky The Doormat

What’s fun to do in Miami?*

*With my mom (76).

11 minutes ago, krista4 said:

What’s fun to do in Miami?*

*With my mom (76).

South Beach deco tour?

Reenact la cage aux folles movie version?

I know very nothing about that place other than it's warm and a city on a beach, which seems like a good idea other than Florida stuff and stuff.

• Like 1