Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
General Malaise

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing

3 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

West is the place to stop on the Austin/Dallas drive. They also have a Bush's Fried Chicken next door.

I've stopped at the Czech Stop hundreds of times in the last 25 years, often twice in the same weekend. Still, I'm doubting @shuke ever has a good reason to run I 35 between Austin and Dallas.

1 minute ago, bentley said:

I've stopped at the Czech Stop hundreds of times in the last 25 years, often twice in the same weekend. Still, I'm doubting @shuke ever has a good reason to run I 35 between Austin and Dallas.

Since when has @shuke ever shown that good reason precedes his actions?

• Like 1

I see a lot of my students wearing retro/classic band t-shirts (Beatles, Stones, Ramones etc).  It's been going on for so long I no long care if they know anything about the band.

Today some kid was wearing a shirt with the album cover from Hotel California on it.   I was tempted to ask him if he'd ever seen The Big Lebowski.  I was also tempted to pay another kid to kick his ###.

• Like 5

"My Own Teacher Paid Some Guy to Beat Me Up" is the name of my Eagles tribute band

• Like 4

And for the record, I don't really care for Kolaches, no matter which condiments are available

Edited by cosjobs

On 8/21/2016 at 10:57 PM, kevzilla said:

The Czechs here in Central Texas become quite incensed when those other things are called kolaches. Just trying to be culturally sensitive here. :oldunsure: 

:lmao:

https://www.reddit.com/r/texas/comments/1tofxg/every_texan_should_know_the_difference_between_a/

15 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Where the hell has Idiot Boxer been?

I can't answer why he doesn't post in here but I'm in a magic football league (24 Team IDP, rosters and scoring rules available by request) with him so I know he's still alive.

16 hours ago, cosjobs said:

Where the hell has Idiot Boxer been?

Probably North Carolina

• Like 1

Watching darts on TV. These dudes are sweating profusely. Didn't know it was such a grueling sport.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kevzilla said:

TV lights + beer + 400lbs = sweat 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tommyboy said:

Watching darts on TV. These dudes are sweating profusely. Didn't know it was such a grueling sport.

I'll just put this out there.

I'm sure I could beat 90% of the FFA in darts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sconch said:

I'll just put this out there.

I'm sure I could beat 90% of the FFA in darts.

Didn't know you weighed 400

1 minute ago, tommyboy said:

Didn't know you weighed 400

I DIDN'T KNOW YOUR FACE SUCKED

• Like 1

Just now, Sconch said:

I DIDN'T KNOW YOUR FACE SUCKED

"Sconch with a miraculous 161! Look at those jowels vibrating in total ecstacy"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevzilla said:

I got out of the pool 40 minutes ago. I'm still sweating. :oldunsure: 

budgie smuggler?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

#######. hell. :(

### #### it

• Like 2

Just now, Leeroy Jenkins said:

We have had 4 people lose children on this board (at least). So terrible. Lots of hugs being given tonight in my house. 

I keep thinking about their son, who is old enough to understand what is going on.  How do you parent through that?  Ugh.

• Like 1

####### heartbreaking. like most of you guys, I've been following along with shady's story from the beginning... terrified to open every update, but maintaining hope throughout.

I can't even begin to imagine any of it... kudos to Shady for his honesty and strength through this. :(

I'm terrible with these kind of things- but is there anything we, as a community, can do for him or his family?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Thorn said:

I keep thinking about their son, who is old enough to understand what is going on.  How do you parent through that?  Ugh.

I don't know.  I do know Big Bottom and Ham have done it with aplomb.  I don't know that I would be able to do that with the same dignity and grace.  I found out through FB before finding out here and on his FB feed from a little while back is his son proudly holding Riley with a smile.  I'm glad I was in the office alone because I lost it.  I'm about to lose it again now.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

54 minutes ago, Thorn said:

I don't know.  I do know Big Bottom and Ham have done it with aplomb.  I don't know that I would be able to do that with the same dignity and grace.  I found out through FB before finding out here and on his FB feed from a little while back is his son proudly holding Riley with a smile.  I'm glad I was in the office alone because I lost it.  I'm about to lose it again now.

:cry:

I would ####### implode- and without dignity or grace... honestly. how ham, BB and now shady have so far dealt with all of this is awe-inspiring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

####### heartbreaking. like most of you guys, I've been following along with shady's story from the beginning... terrified to open every update, but maintaining hope throughout.

I can't even begin to imagine any of it... kudos to Shady for his honesty and strength through this. :(

I'm terrible with these kind of things- but is there anything we, as a community, can do for him or his family?

:goodposting:

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

:cry:

I would ####### implode- and without dignity or grace... honestly. how ham, BB and now shady have so far dealt with all of this is awe-inspiring.

completely agree. no shame at all. this would destroy me.

• Like 2

Last year when I found out about dickey moe and his wife (real life friends) losing their little boy on Easter I went out on the patio by myself and ####ing lost it. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sconch said:

Hide contents

Last year when I found out about dickey moe and his wife (real life friends) losing their little boy on Easter I went out on the patio by myself and ####ing lost it. 

That was the 4th one.

All sad.  Just... that gut punch of getting her home and starting to see some semblance of normalcy and starting to feel like things just might be alright, only to lose her anyway.  I just can't fathom what that roller coaster ride must have been like.  Unimaginable.

• Like 4

####. I don't think a magic football forum has made me cry before. Just unbelievable. :kicksrock:

I'm not one for sharing my life here, so gb Vinny for having the stones to share his story, it's touched many of the community here.

he played a local league of mine once and, despite having no sense of humor, seems like a standup guy.

i hope he is able to find peace at some point in the future.  I certainly know all too well that the point when you smile and remember the best memories and times can be elusive.   

• Like 5

fwiw- Shady posted a link to this organization... they have a donate option.

eta: nm... he's setting soemthing up a crowd-fund thing through the same website.

Edited by El Floppo

Had our first soccer practice yesterday.  Been coaching most of these kids since they were in 1st/2nd grade.  They're growing up fast, now in 8th grade and getting big.  And some of them are getting pretty cool, too.  One of my favorite kids - Big Jackson - showed up yesterday in a Violent Femmes t-shirt.  So I stopped him and said "Okay, okay...c'mon man, there's no way you know who they are.  That's my generation."  He said "Coach, they're my favorite band, I saw them in concert recently".  Dubious, I pressed and asked for his favorite two songs and without missing a beat, he said "Add It Up" and my favorite "Gone Daddy Gone".  

Later, during a water break I was asking each of them what their favorite part of the summer was and another kid who goes to a art magnet school said his favorite part of the summer was going to a Modest Mouse concert.  Again, dubious, I asked what his favorite song was, thinking for sure he's say "Float On" or something ubiquitous, he thinks about it and says "Stars are Projectors" (side note: not a HUGE MM fan, so maybe this one is more common, I'd never heard of it).

Anyhow, I think the kids are gonna be alright.  

• Like 3

Just now, General Malaise said:

Had our first soccer practice yesterday.  Been coaching most of these kids since they were in 1st/2nd grade.  They're growing up fast, now in 8th grade and getting big.  And some of them are getting pretty cool, too.  One of my favorite kids - Big Jackson - showed up yesterday in a Violent Femmes t-shirt.  So I stopped him and said "Okay, okay...c'mon man, there's no way you know who they are.  That's my generation."  He said "Coach, they're my favorite band, I saw them in concert recently".  Dubious, I pressed and asked for his favorite two songs and without missing a beat, he said "Add It Up" and my favorite "Gone Daddy Gone".  

Later, during a water break I was asking each of them what their favorite part of the summer was and another kid who goes to a art magnet school said his favorite part of the summer was going to a Modest Mouse concert.  Again, dubious, I asked what his favorite song was, thinking for sure he's say "Float On" or something ubiquitous, he thinks about it and says "Stars are Projectors" (side note: not a HUGE MM fan, so maybe this one is more common, I'd never heard of it).

Anyhow, I think the kids are gonna be alright.  

I did feel REALLY old when I told Big Jackson I saw the Violent Femmes in 1991. :bag:

1 minute ago, General Malaise said:

I did feel REALLY old when I told Big Jackson I saw the Violent Femmes in 1991. :bag:

'86 was my first Femmes show

:bag:

Didn't know where else to ask this -

That guy Faust who posts links in the Shark Pool, he's a bot, right?

• Like 1

Nobody reads the Shark Pool.

• Like 4

On August 23, 2016 at 10:30 PM, bentley said:

The actual Czech places do. Lord help you if you ever end up West or Schulenberg, but they clearly differentiate.

I've been to West.  Czech Stop says "Kolaches" on the outside of the building. 

Jesus you guys get weirdly defensive about this.  Everybody calls the meat filled things Kolaches. 

• Like 1