What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (3 Viewers)

Chris Johnson was a very productive back this year in this offense. Obviously at this point in their careers David is much more talented and I think Chris is gone from Arizona now. If I had #1 pick in redraft next year I would seriously have to consider this guy.

Yeah the situation is to cloudy for David Johnson to be the #1 pick. The Arizona GM was on the record saying bringing back CJ2K was his #1 priority this offseason. That was before DJ broke out though.

Still his usage can't stay this high. If he's the starter going into next year which it looks like he will be then he's a late 1st round pick. Even with Ellington/CJ back I can't see how they keep the ball out of his hands.

Yeah the situation is to cloudy for David Johnson to be the #1 pick. The Arizona GM was on the record saying bringing back CJ2K was his #1 priority this offseason. That was before DJ broke out though.

Still his usage can't stay this high. If he's the starter going into next year which it looks like he will be then he's a late 1st round pick. Even with Ellington/CJ back I can't see how they keep the ball out of his hands.
I'm not taking a guy with <half a season of experience in the first round. Think of all the RBs that had great runs late in the year and then were total busts the following year. Give me a Gronk or Antonio Brown all day before I touch a David Johnson.

I'm not taking a guy with <half a season of experience in the first round. Think of all the RBs that had great runs late in the year and then were total busts the following year. Give me a Gronk or Antonio Brown all day before I touch a David Johnson.
And then there was Jamaal Charles circa 2009.

The patience paid off in a big way and it's great to be on the owner end of this but in today's NFL it almost makes me nervous to see a guy used so much. You just don't see that these days. I guess Leveon Bell is and Arian Foster is but it's uncommon.

I went back and watched some old Curtis Martin/Fred Taylor/LT/Emmtt Smith highlights and it feels like I am back in the 90's seeinga RB this good and balanced actually getting this much use.

Chris Johnson was a very productive back this year in this offense. Obviously at this point in their careers David is much more talented and I think Chris is gone from Arizona now. If I had #1 pick in redraft next year I would seriously have to consider this guy.
CJ had 2 good games, 3 average games, and 6 below-average games.

For where he was drafted, he was FF gold, but he wasn't really special, FF speaking.

DJ has had 3 starts, & he has produced 1 average game, 1 good game, and 1 great game.

I would be surprised if Chris Johnson is resigned, but Ellington is till under contract for another year, so I wouldn't expect DJ to average 27 touches/game next year, if Ellington is healthy.

I was down 40+ points last night. I had DJ, he had John Brown who I dropped this week

I won

yay DJ

Although I didnt clinch it until that last catch he made. We kept going back and forth. I had high points, he had second high. One of us was taking a bad beat.

I don't know if the situation is that cloudy.

Keim said they'd look at a contract extension for Chris Johnson on 11/12. Since that point, he averaged 3.4 YPC, had 2 catches for 7 yards, and scored 1 TD. Then he obviously got hurt & David Johnson showed (for a small sample size of 3 games) that he can handle the load at RB, and has (as far as I can tell) done well in pass protection. They also have Ellington under contract for next year, but they seem to have penciled him into the back-up, COP role. I would be surprised if Chris Johnson is brought back, unless it is a very team-friendly deal.

Really? You'd take Gronk or Antonio Brown over David Johnson? That's a really bold statement. :rolleyes:

David Johnson shouldn't be the #1 pick, he shouldn't be the #1 RB, and he shouldn't be a 1st round pick. Even if he were to continue doing what he is doing for the rest of the regular season/playoffs, he shouldn't be.

That doesn't mean he doesn't look like a promising young RB, though.

Keim said they'd look at a contract extension for Chris Johnson on 11/12. Since that point, he averaged 3.4 YPC, had 2 catches for 7 yards, and scored 1 TD. Then he obviously got hurt & David Johnson showed (for a small sample size of 3 games) that he can handle the load at RB, and has (as far as I can tell) done well in pass protection. They also have Ellington under contract for next year, but they seem to have penciled him into the back-up, COP role. I would be surprised if Chris Johnson is brought back, unless it is a very team-friendly deal.
THe Cards can't get rid of Ellington fast enough. This will be David Johnson with reliable Chris Johnson backing up on a cap friendly deal next year.

Ellington might be ON the team but he's not in the plans for long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Really? You'd take Gronk or Antonio Brown over David Johnson? That's a really bold statement. :rolleyes: David Johnson shouldn't be the #1 pick, he shouldn't be the #1 RB, and he shouldn't be a 1st round pick. Even if he were to continue doing what he is doing for the rest of the regular season/playoffs, he shouldn't be.

He looks great and am excited for him. However, there were posters here mentioning him as the #1 pick and we agree, he shouldn't be.

He can't finish runs.
The "knock" on him coming out was that he doesn't play up to his size and that has generally always been true. You see him and think he will push a pile and he's not really like that.

Unrelated but another guy that I think will bloom when he gets a shot is Jay Ajayi. Similar in that he is a complete, all-around guy that has good balance and vision. I expect him to have some value going forward.

Really? You'd take Gronk or Antonio Brown over David Johnson? That's a really bold statement. :rolleyes:

David Johnson shouldn't be the #1 pick, he shouldn't be the #1 RB, and he shouldn't be a 1st round pick. Even if he were to continue doing what he is doing for the rest of the regular season/playoffs, he shouldn't be.

:rolleyes: He was responding to the poster who said DJ was a 1st round pick.

The "knock" on him coming out was that he doesn't play up to his size and that has generally always been true. You see him and think he will push a pile and he's not really like that.

Unrelated but another guy that I think will bloom when he gets a shot is Jay Ajayi. Similar in that he is a complete, all-around guy that has good balance and vision. I expect him to have some value going forward.

l see that as a coaching problem, not a physical one. Given his size and upper/lower body strength, it seemed like he just needed someone to coach him up a little. I hate that I missed out in dynasty. Thought I could get him at 12, but slot 9 wisely jumped on him.

l see that as a coaching problem, not a physical one. Given his size and upper/lower body strength, it seemed like he just needed someone to coach him up a little. I hate that I missed out in dynasty. Thought I could get him at 12, but slot 9 wisely jumped on him.
Whatever the knock, last night is pretty good evidence that he clearly plays up to his size, and then some.

I held onto him all year in my 5 player keeper league. Unfortunately, the injury to Dalton killed me in the first round. Next year though, I will have Bell, DJ, Ingram and/or Ajayi to start my next run at the championship! I am feeling pretty good about my chances.

Guys a stud. Going to be a high pick next year and is probably going to win some teams a championship at the tail end of this year.

I'm holding DJ in both of my redrafts. One has really deep benches so its a no brainer.

The other is a 14 teamer with short benches and I'm hoarding RBs to the point that I don't even have a defense for this week rostered yet. I actually have CJ?K in that league as well.

RBs are too valuable in my leagues and I just like the talent too much. I still think he pays dividends in redraft later this season and he's capable of putting up points even on the limited touches he's getting now as evidenced by 4 of 5 weeks so far.
DJ pretty much single handedly got me into the finals in my 14 teamer where I was in danger of losing as the #1 seed due to bad decisions and under-performance. And he's played a big part in me reaching my other final as well.

This is a good example of the combination of skill/luck required for FF success.

I drafted him in my 14 teamer and even started him week 2. I was forced to drop him headed into week 9 byes and was pissed that someone else picked him up. Fortunately they dropped him a little later and I picked him back up only to drop him again. He remained a FA and I hoped to pick him up later in the season.

On Thanksgiving day I was on my cell phone waiting to pick my sister up from the airport and deciding whether or not to but Riddick in the lineup over Charck West who was dealing with a hamstring. At the last minute I decided to keep my options open and not play Riddick. I then picked up Johnson as my emergency RB in case West didnt play, which he didnt. I started Johnson that week who scored a TD to give me decent production and that's the game CJ also happened to get hurt.

Riddick played well on Thanksgiving and I was upset that I didnt play him. Ironically, if I had I don't know if I would have picked up DJ and I may have lost out on him.

Cool story bro I know but I think it's a great example of being both skilled and lucky in terms of FF.

You are right. The knock on him coming into the league was something along the lines of, 'he didn't run hard between the tackles' or 'push the pile'. It was a legit criticism if you looked into his tape. Its been discussed in this thread pretty thoroughly and Bruce Arians had mentioned something along those lines earlier in training camp but the kid showed improvement during the preseason and BA acknowledged that.

During the season he has shown tremendous improvement in his overall game especially pass-pro but the guy has proven himself as a goal line touchdown scorer which is evidence he runs hard between the tackles and pushes the pile. He's big, 6'1 and 230 lbs and looks better than Ellington and CJ in that role IMHO.

Really? You'd take Gronk or Antonio Brown over David Johnson? That's a really bold statement. :rolleyes: David Johnson shouldn't be the #1 pick, he shouldn't be the #1 RB, and he shouldn't be a 1st round pick. Even if he were to continue doing what he is doing for the rest of the regular season/playoffs, he shouldn't be.

He looks great and am excited for him. However, there were posters here mentioning him as the #1 pick and we agree, he shouldn't be.
Sorry for the sarcasm. There's a number of RBs & WRs I would take over DJ next year (as of right now), Gronk is probably the only TE, and there are probably 1 or 2 QBs.

Sorry for the sarcasm. There's a number of RBs & WRs I would take over DJ next year (as of right now), Gronk is probably the only TE, and there are probably 1 or 2 QBs.
RBs I would take over him: Gurley, Leveon Bell, Freeman

After that you have talented but older RBs (AD and Charles), injured RBs (Ingram, Dion Lewis), or guys who have been disappointments this year (Lacy, Hill, CJ Anderson). I think he could very well find himself clearly in the top 5 RBs in startups next year.

WAY too premature to talk about 1st round and where he should be going in next year's drafts. Lots of variables that wont be figured out until the off-season.

I'm just focused on one more productive week. Ice that knee and get ready for GB!

Whatever the knock, last night is pretty good evidence that he clearly plays up to his size, and then some.
The Philly D is a great measuring stick!

Actually dominating inferior opponents is a great measuring stick!

Josina Anderson@JosinaAnderson 4h4 hours ago
Source adds, "(David Johnson) cd’ve very well been rookie of the year had we wanted him to.” ~They were stacked w/ C.J. & Andre #Cardinals.

3/3 ~ His receiving talent alone is another big reason why the #Cards were “giddy” about the 2015, 3rd-round prospect out of Northern Iowa.

2/3 ~ I heard they equate David Johnson’s overall potential to "Matt Forte"—espc w/ D.J.s ability to run routes in the passing game. #Cards

I’m told #Cardinals RB David Johnson was told “we expect more from you” than C. Johnson & Ellington, bc he’s “bigger” & can do what they do.

You are right. The knock on him coming into the league was something along the lines of, 'he didn't run hard between the tackles' or 'push the pile'. It was a legit criticism if you looked into his tape. Its been discussed in this thread pretty thoroughly and Bruce Arians had mentioned something along those lines earlier in training camp but the kid showed improvement during the preseason and BA acknowledged that.

During the season he has shown tremendous improvement in his overall game especially pass-pro but the guy has proven himself as a goal line touchdown scorer which is evidence he runs hard between the tackles and pushes the pile. He's big, 6'1 and 230 lbs and looks better than Ellington and CJ in that role IMHO.

Mike JureckiVerified account@mikejurecki 3h3 hours ago
Per @PFF RB David Johnson' breaking a total of 10 tackles as a runner (seven) and a receiver (three). The key run was the 47-yard touchdown.

Lol. Johnson ran for the same number of TDs last night as every other RB Philly has faced this year combined.

Lol @ taking Freeman in front of DJ. People who do that are going to regret it. Gurley and Bell I can see but not Freeman.

Forte is the perfect comparison. Ever aspect they're so similar.
If DJ has anywhere near that type of longevity/productivity he's the #1 dynasty asset right now. He's obviously a huge dog to stay healthy that long or produce like that.

Amazing how quickly things change. A couple months ago, Gurley and Luck were the absolute best things going in Dynasty. Now after a few games, people are ranking DJ head of Gurley and who knows where Luck is in the rankings.

Amazing how quickly things change. A couple months ago, Gurley and Luck were the absolute best things going in Dynasty. Now after a few games, people are ranking DJ head of Gurley and who knows where Luck is in the rankings.
I would have taken DJ @ 1.03 in rookie drafts this year behind Cooper and Gurley. He was clearly 3rd though at the time. After the way the year went it's a lot closer. Probably Cooper then Gurley and DJ tied.

I own both Gurley and DJ but can only keep one going into next year. At this point, I can't imagine keeping DJ over Gurley.

Lol. Johnson ran for the same number of TDs last night as every other RB Philly has faced this year combined.
Watch the game tape and the most glaring common theme for missed tackles is Byron Maxwell. Always going for the strip, failing to wrap, and just God-awful form.

I own both Gurley and DJ but can only keep one going into next year. At this point, I can't imagine keeping DJ over Gurley.
He's 7 points behind Gurley in scoring in my league playing half the snaps basically. You can't imagine keeping him over Gurley? They are both great RB's and I would hate to have that decision but it's at the very least close.

Why? Gurley is on a #### team with no future in sight while Arizona looks like it can be dominate for years. All things considerd I'll take the guy on an explosive team.

Kwai Chang Caine said:
3nOut said:
Why? Gurley is on a #### team with no future in sight while Arizona looks like it can be dominate for years. All things considerd I'll take the guy on an explosive team.
I don't play dynasty, (nor keepers of any sort) but this is a close pick between Gurley and DJ no matter how you shake it....if you believe DJ will continue to be an integral part of the team that is.

But I felt that way even before his big showing last night.

Remember, when you take on Gurley, you also take on a significant past injury history.

If two guys are close (or you feel personally they are close) then why wouldn't you take the one who seemingly has a better propensity to stay healthy? Or at least doesn't have the worst history of injury.

Lets not get into the whole discussion about predicting injuries, we all know thats fluky.

Thats an argument we need not get into here, since it will only cloud the thread and discussion.

So even if you toss that out, for whatever reason you choose....... like the above poster said, give me the "close" guy in that choice every time, on a very strong team, rather than the "close" guy on a poor team.

If you personally thought it was a very close decision between the two then..........

Gurley or DJ?

Give me the one on the better team and he doesn't have the injury history to boot. When you look at it like this, all of a sudden its not that tough a choice now is it.

Everything I said above aside......

If you didn't think it was a close decision, then the above reasoning might not be as important.

Are you really losing anything by choosing one side over another? Its sort of the old school "elite vs. elite" choice.

At some point you are splitting hairs, and you should go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

All this assumes that DJ and Gurley will have comparable workloads next year, which we obviously don't have a clue about at this point.

TZM

You are a great example of how to contribute in the Shark Pool. Another good post. Every once in awhile I have to show appreciation. :thumbup:

chad in Indy said:

Watch the game tape and the most glaring common theme for missed tackles is Byron Maxwell. Always going for the strip, failing to wrap, and just God-awful form.
Wat?

Kwai Chang Caine said:
3nOut said:
To be fair, Palmer is 36, and we saw what kind of train-wreck Arizona was last year without him at QB. He probably has 2 (maybe) peak-ish years left. Unless the Cardinals get an heir apparent at QB, I don't think it's totally accurate to say "Arizona looks like it can be dominate for years."

Users who are viewing this thread