Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Biabreakable

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson RB Arizona Cardinals

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Milkman said:

I've def lowered my expectations for Kyler and the Air Raid at least early in the season......I still think it's going to take off at some point this year. 

.

just based off of one game that involved a rookie QB's first NFL start, on the road? I still think the offense will provide plenty of FF points early and often.

Their defense isn't good, Kingsbury is a creative offensive mind, Kyler is a talented young QB, and DJ is a stud running back. The only that sucks is that they don't have a legit #1 WR and their o-line is shaky but Kyler's mobility should sometimes make up for the offensive line breaking down. 

The only thing that surprised me in game 1 was Kyler's lack of rushing yards, I think that hurts his FF upside significantly, but I'm still high on DJ, Kirk and Fitz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 10:34 PM, Nucker101 said:

just based off of one game that involved a rookie QB's first NFL start, on the road? I still think the offense will provide plenty of FF points early and often.

Their defense isn't good, Kingsbury is a creative offensive mind, Kyler is a talented young QB, and DJ is a stud running back. The only that sucks is that they don't have a legit #1 WR and their o-line is shaky but Kyler's mobility should sometimes make up for the offensive line breaking down. 

The only thing that surprised me in game 1 was Kyler's lack of rushing yards, I think that hurts his FF upside significantly, but I'm still high on DJ, Kirk and Fitz. 

It was only one game. Lamar Jackson didn't run much in week one either.

Murray does have that 360 move to avoid the pass rush and get outside that looks exactly like Russell Wilson. He is just always looking downfield.

There will be some good runs by him in games to come.

Just watching Murrays expressions during the game. He did seem very frustrated. I was wondering if he might go in the tank. There was an inflection point from my perspective and that is where Murray began to play better and their offense got going. It could have went entirely the other way. The QB is a fighter.

As for DJ what is most reassuring is that they are having him line up as a WR pretty often. They inexplicably were not doing that with him last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Milkman said:

We have a league winner boys! Sit back and enjoy!

Oof

 

My bad. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

So what happened?  He done for the day? Month?  Year?

Looks like a wrist injury to the same wrist he dislocated 2 years ago. No bueno if it is. Honestly could career ender actually. If he can't hold a football.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Looks like a wrist injury to the same wrist he dislocated 2 years ago. No bueno if it is. Honestly could career ender actually. If he can't hold a football.......

No real information? Let's just to the worst possible conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Looks like a wrist injury to the same wrist he dislocated 2 years ago. No bueno if it is. Honestly could career ender actually. If he can't hold a football.......

This is not an overstatement. I had some pretty serious comments about his first injury, and had suggested that it could be a career ender. If this is a repeat then there is a significant concern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

This is not an overstatement. I had some pretty serious comments about his first injury, and had suggested that it could be a career ender. If this is a repeat then there is a significant concern

Even with him back this has me concerned. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milkman said:

Even with him back this has me concerned. 

Yeah I would be selling in a Dynasty format. I have him in redraft and I’m hoping for a good season.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Coach Kliff Kingsbury told reporters Monday that RB David Johnson (wrist) is fine to play for the Cardinals' Week 3 matchup against the Panthers.

The more pressing concern for Johnson is his usage, as he had just seven carries and one target in the team's Week 2 loss to the Ravens. Still, he faces little competition for snaps from backup Chase Edmonds and continues to work as the undisputed three-down back in the Cardinals' pass-first offense. Johnson has a prime chance to bounce back in Week 3 at home vs. a Panthers defense that has yielded solid days to the likes of Todd Gurley (14-97-0), Malcolm Brown (11-53-2) and Peyton Barber (23-82-1) through two weeks.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter.

Sep 16, 2019, 4:10 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

David Johnson rushed 11 times for 37 yards in the Cardinals' Week 3 loss to the Panthers, adding six catches for 28 yards and one touchdown on nine targets.

The offensive line can't open up any running lanes, and coach Kliff Kingsbury probably realizes that. The rushing numbers just haven't been there for Johnson. He was able to save his day with a three-yard touchdown grab from Kyler Murray. Johnson will be a back-end RB1 next week at home against a Seahawks defense that just got obliterated by Alvin Kamara in Week 3.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:12 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

David Johnson handled 11 carries for 40 yards, adding eight catches for another 99 yards in Arizona's Week 4 loss to the Seahawks.

This one wasn't close, but that didn't stop the Cardinals from involving Johnson underneath as a receiver from the get-go. Johnson led Arizona with a 34 percent target share and out-carried Chase Edmonds 11-6 on a day that saw the former integrated heavily in the passing game. The Cardinals' offensive line still struggles to open holes  — hence Johnson's 3.6 YPC clip — but it's a plus that DJ flashed an 'out' for production in the event nothing changes in their trenches. He'll again be an RB1 against the Bengals next week.

Sep 29, 2019, 8:56 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

David Johnson rushed 17 times for 91 yards in the Cardinals' Week 5 win over the Bengals, adding three receptions for 65 additional yards.

Both Johnson's 91 yards rushing and 156 yards from scrimmage were new season highs. He remained highly impressive as a receiver. He has cleared 55 yards through the air in 3-of-5 games, putting him on pace for 790 on the year. Johnson will have a real chance to stay cooking when the Cardinals host the Falcons for Week 6.

 

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

David Johnson battled a back injury throughout Sunday's Week 5 win over the Bengals.

His back "locked up" on him, though obviously the injury wasn't a major deterrent as Johnson saw his usual snaps while logging a season-high 156 yards from scrimmage in the win at Cincinnati. Johnson claims his back feels "good," though according to beat reporters Bob McManaman and Greg Moore of the Arizona Republic, team doctors will examine him "more thoroughly" on Monday. We're expecting Johnson to be fine for Week 6 against Atlanta, though if the injury proves too much to overcome, backup Chase Edmonds would obviously stand to benefit.

SOURCE: azcentral.com

Oct 7, 2019, 8:51 AM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see the game, and Edmonds had 8 carries for 68 and a touch, and got 3 catches for another 18.

Aside from being just a handcuff for DJ owners, does this usage mean anything else? e.g. is Edmonds a potential wire target as a guy who could get a consistent role in this offense and have value outside of a pure handcuff/lotto ticket?

Or did this usage just come from a single game/game flow situation that likely won't be repeated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Didn't see the game, and Edmonds had 8 carries for 68 and a touch, and got 3 catches for another 18.

Aside from being just a handcuff for DJ owners, does this usage mean anything else? e.g. is Edmonds a potential wire target as a guy who could get a consistent role in this offense and have value outside of a pure handcuff/lotto ticket?

Or did this usage just come from a single game/game flow situation that likely won't be repeated?

Their offense is still a work in progress (at best), Cincy is dreadful and they still only scored 2 TD's. Edmunds' TD came after DJ was involved in 3 consecutive plays, including a 17 yd. reception.

IMO he only has value as a handcuff, and even then I wouldn't be too optimistic unless they make fairly significant improvements on offense. They have a couple of good match ups coming up but then the schedule is pretty brutal. I'm actually putting out feelers to try and sell DJ.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Didn't see the game, and Edmonds had 8 carries for 68 and a touch, and got 3 catches for another 18.

Aside from being just a handcuff for DJ owners, does this usage mean anything else? e.g. is Edmonds a potential wire target as a guy who could get a consistent role in this offense and have value outside of a pure handcuff/lotto ticket?

Or did this usage just come from a single game/game flow situation that likely won't be repeated?

This offense is definitely not going to support two starting RBs.  Edmonds is a pure handcuff.  But becoming a more valuable one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, humpback said:

Their offense is still a work in progress (at best), Cincy is dreadful and they still only scored 2 TD's. Edmunds' TD came after DJ was involved in 3 consecutive plays, including a 17 yd. reception.

IMO he only has value as a handcuff, and even then I wouldn't be too optimistic unless they make fairly significant improvements on offense. They have a couple of good match ups coming up but then the schedule is pretty brutal. I'm actually putting out feelers to try and sell DJ.

I wouldn't call it brutal. There isn't a stay away matchup in there. Especially for Johnson, who is game script independent, with his receiving ability. Its also possible/likely that Murray keeps improving as the season goes on.

If I were selling Johnson I'd be wanting the world, because he's still a top-5ish RB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I wouldn't call it brutal. There isn't a stay away matchup in there. Especially for Johnson, who is game script independent, with his receiving ability. Its also possible/likely that Murray keeps improving as the season goes on.

If I were selling Johnson I'd be wanting the world, because he's still a top-5ish RB.

Top 10, maybe.  Top 5, no way.  

I'd gladly trade him for Barkley, McCaffrey, Elliott, Cook, Chubb at a minimum, and probably guys like Kamara and Bell.

Starts getting harder when you get to names like Henry Ingram Gurley Carson Fournette Jacobs Gordon Jones.

He could very easily belong in the 11-15 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, davearm said:

Top 10, maybe.  Top 5, no way.  

I'd gladly trade him for Barkley, McCaffrey, Elliott, Cook, Chubb at a minimum, and probably guys like Kamara and Bell.

Starts getting harder when you get to names like Henry Ingram Gurley Carson Fournette Jacobs Gordon Jones.

He could very easily belong in the 11-15 range.

Elliott is a maybe for me, Johnson has been better so far, and Dallas has mostly had a cake schedule. Chubb has to deal with Hunt at some point(I'd rather have Chubb right now though) and Barkley makes me nervous, just from a health standpoint, but also an offense one. So for me, its CMC, Cook, Kamara that are are the only for sure guys I'd prefer.

I'd certainly take him over that second tier. I also wouldn't have Ingram or Gordon in that tier, I think they are a decent amount below those guys. Maybe throw Mack in that group.

I'd have it:

Tier 1- CMC, Cook, Kamara

Tier 2- Johnson, Barkley, Zeke, Chubb, Bell

Tier 3- Henry, Gurley, Carson, Fournette, Jones

Tier 4- Jacobs, Mack, Ingram

So that is why I called Johnson top-5ish he's in my 4-8 range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travdogg said:

I wouldn't call it brutal. There isn't a stay away matchup in there. Especially for Johnson, who is game script independent, with his receiving ability. Its also possible/likely that Murray keeps improving as the season goes on.

If I were selling Johnson I'd be wanting the world, because he's still a top-5ish RB.

After the next two against Atlanta and the Giants, the Steelers are the only team they face that isn't in the top half of the league in rushing yards given up. They face the #2 ranked team, the #3 ranked team twice, and the #5 ranked team on the road in the FF SB. Cincy is absolutely dreadful (second to last), and DJ didn't have a huge game. I agree that his receptions gives him a decent floor, but his health is also becoming a pretty big concern- he seemingly gets banged up every week.

I said I'm putting out feelers, certainly not giving him away, but if someone wants to pay top 5 RB prices I'll take it- I would bet against him being one ROS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travdogg said:

Tier 2- Johnson, Barkley, Zeke, Chubb, Bell

This is madness.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Johnson (back) will be monitored all week.

Kingsbury would not rule out that Johnson could miss Sunday's matchup against the Falcons. Johnson's back reportedly "locked up" throughout the Cardinals' Week 5 win over the Bengals. Second-year RB Chase Edmonds would take Johnson's three-down role if the Cardinals' stud RB is ultimately unable to suit up. Whichever RB that draws the start will be set up exceptionally well against the Falcons' notoriously awful defense against pass-catching backs.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter.

Oct 7, 2019, 3:55 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

How serious do you think this is?

Based on the limited info we have right now, I'd say 80-20 Johnson starts this week. Maybe Edmunds sees a few more plays than usual. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, tangfoot said:

This is madness.

I admit, I'm being a little pessimistic with Barkley. I just get nervous with guys coming back too soon from injury. He could maybe be in a tier of his own, between 1-2, if you like.

If you are saying Johnson has no business in that tier, I'd point out, that Chubb is the only one outscoring him so far, and that was almost entirely based on an 80+ yard TD run, and Johnson doesn't have a Pro Bowl RB joining him in the backfield in a few weeks. Johnson's receiving numbers make a huge difference. Only Ekeler and McCaffrey have done more in the air.

If you are saying Bell is too high, I'm a pretty big believer in him, between his workload(as high as anyone's) and that the offense will be league average with Darnold/Herndon back. In Bell's 1 week with Darnold, he had 20 points against a damn good Bills defense. He's been a low-end RB1, with XFL talent at QB, he could be a tier 1 guy with Darnold.

If you are saying Zeke should be in tier 1, I just disagree. Haven't been impressed with him so far, the o-line isn't what it used to be, and is banged up, and Dallas might be a passing team now, and they haven't been throwing to him like they did a year ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, travdogg said:

I admit, I'm being a little pessimistic with Barkley. I just get nervous with guys coming back too soon from injury. He could maybe be in a tier of his own, between 1-2, if you like.

If you are saying Johnson has no business in that tier, I'd point out, that Chubb is the only one outscoring him so far, and that was almost entirely based on an 80+ yard TD run, and Johnson doesn't have a Pro Bowl RB joining him in the backfield in a few weeks. Johnson's receiving numbers make a huge difference. Only Ekeler and McCaffrey have done more in the air.

If you are saying Bell is too high, I'm a pretty big believer in him, between his workload(as high as anyone's) and that the offense will be league average with Darnold/Herndon back. In Bell's 1 week with Darnold, he had 20 points against a damn good Bills defense. He's been a low-end RB1, with XFL talent at QB, he could be a tier 1 guy with Darnold.

If you are saying Zeke should be in tier 1, I just disagree. Haven't been impressed with him so far, the o-line isn't what it used to be, and is banged up, and Dallas might be a passing team now, and they haven't been throwing to him like they did a year ago. 

Is your list for ROS redraft leagues? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From beat writer Darren Urban (via Twitter): 

 

Kingsbury said they are still working with David Johnson and his back. Will have to see how the week goes -- he will try to do some things today. Kingsbury added the type of player Johnson is, it would likely come down to a game-day decision for his status.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, loonzilla said:

From beat writer Darren Urban (via Twitter): 

 

Kingsbury said they are still working with David Johnson and his back. Will have to see how the week goes -- he will try to do some things today. Kingsbury added the type of player Johnson is, it would likely come down to a game-day decision for his status.

Wow thats a lot more pessimistic sounding than I thought it would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loonzilla said:

From beat writer Darren Urban (via Twitter): 

 

Kingsbury said they are still working with David Johnson and his back. Will have to see how the week goes -- he will try to do some things today. Kingsbury added the type of player Johnson is, it would likely come down to a game-day decision for his status.

What does that mean, "the type of player" he is.  Does that mean it's not that serious but he doesn't like to play through pain.  Or is it a big injury but he usually guts things like that out?

Since he played the full game this week I thought this was minor but I don't like this quote whichever way he meant it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, skinsrule05 said:

What does that mean, "the type of player" he is.  Does that mean it's not that serious but he doesn't like to play through pain.  Or is it a big injury but he usually guts things like that out?

Since he played the full game this week I thought this was minor but I don't like this quote whichever way he meant it.

It means that he's going to want to play if he can play

Nobody knows how serious it is and nobody's going to know because back issues can feel bad and be minor or feel minor and be serious. 

It's not worse news than we had before, he's resting it and not taking hits in practice. 

But we will have to wait until Sunday to know for sure

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

David Johnson (back) did not practice Wednesday.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said Johnson will be monitored all week and didn't guarantee that Johnson would play Week 6 against the Falcons. Johnson's back "locked up" on Sunday causing him a ton of pain and discomfort. He seems truly questionable this week, so Chase Edmonds is a must-own if he's still available. Edmonds would be, at worst, a volume-based RB1/2 if Johnson can't get cleared in time. Practice reports on Thursday and Friday will be key.

RELATED: 

Chase Edmonds

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Oct 9, 2019, 8:34 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you’re killin me Smalls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up Edmonds.  How valuable will he be this week do you think?  Both if David Johnson is out or if DJ is in - seems like they are using them both some times and putting Johnson in the slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, themeistersinger said:

I picked up Edmonds.  How valuable will he be this week do you think?  Both if David Johnson is out or if DJ is in - seems like they are using them both some times and putting Johnson in the slot.

If Johnson is out, I think Edmunds is a high-end RB2. If Johnson is in, I don't think Edmunds is a particularly good start, unless you are desperate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can totally see it messing up everyone whereby Johnson plays, but is limited and splits a lot more than usual with Edmonds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

David Johnson (back) remained sidelined Thursday.

Johnson was running with the rehab group. It's too early to say Johnson has no shot at suiting up against the Falcons, but it is not looking good. Johnson is the kind of player who could suit up after three DNPs, but that's rare. Sophomore Chase Edmonds will be waiting in the wings as a plug-and-play RB1 if Johnson doesn't go.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Oct 10, 2019, 2:33 PM ET

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Cardinals GM Steve Keim has been "encouraged" by David Johnson's progress and believes he has a "chance" to play Week 6 against the Falcons.

"I'm not 100 percent sure," said Keim when asked of Johnson's availability for Week 6. "But I'm certainly encouraged." We've yet to see DJ practice this week as he continues to rest his injured back. That doesn't necessarily rule him out for Sunday, though Johnson owners need to have a backup plan in place, particularly with Arizona kicking off at 4:05 ET this week. Chase Edmonds would serve as the Cardinals' workhorse if Johnson can't get the green light for Sunday's dream matchup against Atlanta.

SOURCE: Bob McManaman on Twitter

Oct 11, 2019, 11:09 AM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why they’d risk playing him if he’s still feeling pain on Sunday. It’s not like he’s a WR who can avoid contact or be used as a decoy for some snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.