What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (4 Viewers)

David Johnson rushed five times for two yards in the Cardinals' Week 10 loss to the Bucs.

Johnson "added" an eight-yard reception and lost a fumble. For the giveaway, Johnson was helpless as Lavonte David unleashed some serious dad/old man strength. (Full disclosure, David is only 29 years old.) 27-year-old Johnson, who was struggling on the ground even before injuring his ankle, looked like he was running with a piano on his back. He did not seem like someone who was healthy enough to be a part of the Cardinals' 46-man Sunday roster right now. Kenyan Drake was slightly more effective on the ground but an uninspiring 6/6 through the air. With both his health and the Cardinals' backfield uncertain, Johnson will be a risky RB2 for Week 11 against the 49ers.
No way he was 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy was an offseason sell the last two years. People have been clinging to his performance from what seems like a lifetime ago. 

Man was this guy awesome his first two seasons. Ever since the week 1 wrist injury it’s been so ugly. Second year in a row he’s just looked miserable running the ball. 

I love this guy, drafted him in dynasty and he won me a championship (would have been 2 if I wasn't an idiot).  But today he looked like he wasn't even trying.

Sad but I almost think the best chance to salvage anything for those of us who have DJ and Chase is is for DJ to go on IR and Chase to get any of Drake's crumbs.  And that's like best case scenario.  FML. 

:ptts:

edit: Oh and Chase has to get healthy first too

I sold him right after the 28 point game three weeks ago for Kupp.  Perfect timing.  Unfortunately I'm the unluckiest fantasy owner on the planet and haven't won a game since.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Johnson has "obviously" been hampered by the back and ankle injuries he's been dealing with this season.

Kingsbury added that Johnson is "still working through those and getting a feel for it." More troubling was Kingsbury's admittance that Kenyan Drake worked ahead of Johnson down the stretch because, "We just felt like with Drake, needed to get something going and kept him rolling." The Cardinals' first-year coach said he'll figure out the best role for both Johnson and Drake "over the next few weeks" and then "run with it." Johnson hasn't looked to be anything close to 100% in recent weeks, struggling to get the edge or provide anything resembling his usual burst. It wouldn't be surprising to see Drake work as the offense's lead back sooner rather than later.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on ESPN.

Nov 11, 2019, 4:52 PM ET

Can't help but think there is some overreacting going on right now. Johnson was doing great until he got hurt this season, and was fine(though not the elite player many were hoping for) last season. He's clearly nowhere near 100%, might not be 50%. He looked so slow and tentative Sunday. He hasn't looked like that at all this year. He looks like a guy who shouldn't be medically cleared.

He might not be a bad buy-low in dynasty right now, given the reactions I'm reading in this thread. Kinda sounds like a 2nd round rookie pick would get it done, and maybe less.

Yep, half of his 2020 salary was guaranteed at signing, the other half at the start of the 2019 league year. AND, if they don't cut him prior to the start of the 2020 league year (and eat the 10.2M guaranteed), $2.1M of his 2021 salary becomes guaranteed too.

Can't help but think there is some overreacting going on right now. Johnson was doing great until he got hurt this season, and was fine(though not the elite player many were hoping for) last season. He's clearly nowhere near 100%, might not be 50%. He looked so slow and tentative Sunday. He hasn't looked like that at all this year. He looks like a guy who shouldn't be medically cleared.

He might not be a bad buy-low in dynasty right now, given the reactions I'm reading in this thread. Kinda sounds like a 2nd round rookie pick would get it done, and maybe less.
For an early 2nd, I'd sell.

David Johnson was not listed on Wednesday's injury report.

This comes as a surprise after coach Kliff Kingsbury said Johnson has "obviously" been slowed by ankle and back injuries. In Week 10, Johnson was not running anywhere near his top speed and was limited to just five carries and one target. Arizona has lost the trust of fantasy owners this season, and it's muddied up projections for touches between Johnson and Kenyan Drake. Kingsbury said his plan is to find the best role for his running back duo "over the next few weeks." We'll see if Johnson stays off the injury report heading into Week 12's game against the 49ers.
So amazingly disingenuous that Arizona should be fined for this. Said earlier Kingsbury belongs in the Shanahan Circle of Distrust, people were like... "but he's fine and they won".

I get that we're just schmucks playing a dumb game and that we have to use our judgement on shoddy information. But this is against NFL rules to consistently lie about an injury each week. It's why Bellichek always has Brady and Any offensive player questionable every week to avoid the fines. 

Insein said:
I don't understand why he barely plays in the game, gets hurt, then is not on the injury report during the week. How's that work?
Because Kingsbury has lied about his RB situation all season.

Yeah, like I said, he looks really, really bad out there. He's obviously up against something.
The linked clip shows a guy moving like some one within a wrecked back and/or bad ankle would. I have no idea why the team would put him out there like that but anyone that has him on their fantasy team needs to bench him like the Cardinals should - if he is somehow healed up and you miss a big game sobeit but right now I think we get more of the same from him this week.

The linked clip shows a guy moving like some one within a wrecked back and/or bad ankle would. I have no idea why the team would put him out there like that but anyone that has him on their fantasy team needs to bench him like the Cardinals should - if he is somehow healed up and you miss a big game sobeit but right now I think we get more of the same from him this week.
I saw that play on red zone in real time and i remember thinking he looked hurt.  But on second watch i think it looks worse than it is because he also looked like he was waiting for a hole to open. The Bucs are a tough run d and i think people overestimate how much of their success against the run is because they're such a bad pass d.  

I think I speak for everyone when i say. I'm not starting him unless he has a big day or i really have no other choice because it doesn't seem like we can trust a healthy designation. But it's a month to the playoffs, and he does have a matchup against the browns week 15. 

I'm really hoping they keep him out this week as most people probably aren't playing him anyways, they have the bye next week, then he can come back and contribute, even if splitting carries I'll take it.

The word on DJ on local Phoenix sports radio, including recent interviews with jay feely and mark schlereth, is that DJ is showing signs of a player who is done taking the punishment of a RB. He has been consistently tip toeing up to the line looking for a danger free path. Maybe this is because he is injured, but there were signs of this last year as well. I think his days of being an effective runner are done. His only value going forward will be in the passing game. Getting hit by a safety is not as painful as getting hit by the big guys up front. 

The word on DJ on local Phoenix sports radio, including recent interviews with jay feely and mark schlereth, is that DJ is showing signs of a player who is done taking the punishment of a RB. He has been consistently tip toeing up to the line looking for a danger free path. Maybe this is because he is injured, but there were signs of this last year as well. I think his days of being an effective runner are done. His only value going forward will be in the passing game. Getting hit by a safety is not as painful as getting hit by the big guys up front. 
This makes sense. That clip reminded me of Shaun Alexander... some RBs go right off a cliff - from elite rusher to Sasquatch seemingly overnight.

I love this guy, drafted him in dynasty and he won me a championship (would have been 2 if I wasn't an idiot).  But today he looked like he wasn't even trying.

Same thing I said above.

ETA: I hate to say it because he seems like a good kid, but it could also be related to him getting paid.  If this is really the case he just blew up the RB market that he and Bell and Gurley worked so hard to rebuild.

Same thing I said above.

ETA: I hate to say it because he seems like a good kid, but it could also be related to him getting paid.  If this is really the case he just blew up the RB market that he and Bell and Gurley worked so hard to rebuild.
I think that may be a big factor too. Also, in an interview awhile back DJ said that his wife begged him to stop playing. Maybe he's complying with that request and just playing out the string for the money....All three of those RB's have blew up the market. I can't see any RB's getting close to that amount of money anytime soon. If I was McCaffrey/Barkley  I would move to receiver.

Whatever the issue is, I wish the guy the best.  Maybe he's phoning it in.... who knows, I'll always remember him as the massive, unstoppable torpedo that took the league by storm in 2015/2016.  Oh well...

https://youtu.be/Y17mKxV3jaY

Watching those highlights.... just wow.  Entirely different player right now

Same thing I said above.

I think Gurley already did that. 

was offered DJ for Damien Williams straight up .... with his situation, schedule, and performance there is no way I could accept that ..crazy as that sounds 10 weeks ago.

was offered DJ for Damien Williams straight up .... with his situation, schedule, and performance there is no way I could accept that ..crazy as that sounds 10 weeks ago.
How the world turns but yeah I would laugh if someone offered me DJ for Damien Williams 

I get that we're just schmucks playing a dumb game and that we have to use our judgement on shoddy information. But this is against NFL rules to consistently lie about an injury each week. It's why Bellichek always has Brady and Any offensive player questionable every week to avoid the fines. 
I think this is out-dated now that you don't have "probable" tags (since 2016?).  In fact, removal of that designation has made the reporting of injuries much more ambiguous.

ESPN's Josh Weinfuss notes that it "looked like" Kenyan Drake jumped David Johnson on the depth chart.

Weinfuss reports this after seeing Drake take first-team reps alongside Christian Kirk, Larry Fitzgerald, Andy Isabella, and Pharoh Cooper in the part of practice available to media. Johnson reportedly came in with the second-team unit on Friday. Last week, Johnson did not look healthy which limited him to just five carries and one reception, but he has notably been left off the injury report this week. It's a confusing situation, but it appears Drake will be the lead back for at least one more game. The Week 12 bye can't come fast enough for DJ.

RELATED: 

Kenyan Drake

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 1:56 PM ET

NA - Never Again. He fooled me twice. There he was at #9 overall.

Well, psyched to have traded him last night.

Trading away Ingram and DJ, received Sony and M Evans.

If he does get his Mojo back it will be good for football.

In a 10-team redraft league with very small rosters where trades are allowed but nobody ever trades, I dropped him this week and picked up Kareem Hunt. Nobody has picked him up.  With small rosters there's little time for waiting.

Cardinals to use running backs David Johnson, Kenyan Drake as committee

..."It'll be by committee," Kingsbury said. "Both guys will have packages and do certain things, and we've talked to them about that. So that's how it'll go on Sunday."

Kingsbury said starting in his offense doesn't matter much because of the various personnel groupings and packages he utilizes.

"We change personnel groups a ton," Kingsbury said. "I think our guys understand we're going to put our different personnel groups out based on certain plays and it has nothing to do with whether they're a starter or not."

Users who are viewing this thread