What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (6 Viewers)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
David Johnson is division 2 RB who has likely been overlooked somewhat because of that. I became interested in him because of reports that the Minnesota Vikings might be interested in acquiring Johnson in the 2015 NFL draft.

Vikings Draft Target: Running Back David Johnson

Draft Breakdown

I watched all 3 games that are available for David Johnson above. There is only one run out of the 3 games that I consider to be a very good play in the 2013 game against ND State. It made me wonder somewhat why the Vikings would be interested in him?

The thing that Johnson does do very well is catch the ball. He is a natural hands catcher who made a one handed catch (missed another similar attempt I saw) and is a natural route runner. At times Johnson plays as a WR lining up wide, he runs good routes and does a lot of damage over the middle when matched up on linebackers. He brings a lot of ability as a receiving option. I haven't seen near that level of skill from him as a runner however.

Johnson performed well at the combine recently showing explosiveness with a 41.5" vertical jump at 224 pounds. He also had a good 3 cone time showing his ability to change direction quickly.

I do not expect David Johnson to be very highly sought after in the NFL and I only consider him a watch list level prospect for FF, but I wanted to share what I have learned about him so far. I don't think he is as good as Terrance West from last years rookie group who ended up being drafted in the 3rd round. He is an interesting prospect still especially in PPR leagues.

Last edited:
I am very high on him. I don't see him leading a committee, at least not right away, but he should be a valuable passing-down back for someone next season. If someone is going to invest a 3rd-round pick in him, which is what draftniks are touting after his impressive combine, they will do so with the intention of using him on passing downs.

The "more athletic Charles Sims" comparison is an fair one, as they both have similar running styles to go with natural receiving ability.

I have grabbed him during the last round or two in each of my early MFL10s as I see him having a fairly high floor based on how good of a receiver he was at Northern Iowa. I expect to see his ADP slowly climb in the coming months.

The 3 games I watched may not be the best examples of him as a runner. I am intrigued enough that I would like to see more.

The 3 games I watched may not be the best examples of him as a runner. I am intrigued enough that I would like to see more.
He is a tough one to evaluate because when he played larger school, like the Iowa tape, their line was overmatched and abused. When he went against smaller schools, obviously you have to take into account the fact that he was running against inferior linebackers/DBs.

I do love what I see as a receiver...getting open could still be a product of running routes against weaker cover guys, but he still flashes great hands.

So another Vikings writer Arif Hasan also shows interest in David Johnson in a Vikings focused mock draft here.

There aren’t a lot of physical specimens in this year’s running back group, and though the Vikings don’t need another Jerick McKinnon, it seems as if that’s been their preference.

Still, David Johnson from Northern Iowa may be the closest to a physical standout, and his combine was excellent, especially for a big running back.

His 4.50 40-yard dash is great, but his 1.58 10-yard split is excellent. With that 10-yard split comes a vertical of 41.5 inches, stunning and better than any vertical leap the Vikings have on their roster. More important as a measure of lower-body burst than it is actual leaping ability, it showcases something that Johnson has put together on film: drive.

Johnson is tough to bring down, and his balance and lower-body strength allow him to keep churning out yards as defenders hang on, especially in the open field.

He doesn’t display the leverage he needs to in order to really maximize this ability (and at 6’1” it’s a bit understandable), and he has instead adopted more of a “slasher” technique at running back despite his pure poundage.

Though not as talented as the former Jaguars running back, it’s hard not to think of Fred Taylor when seeing Johnson’s effective use of jump cuts at the line of scrimmage.

A natural fit as a zone runner, Johnson doesn’t just have patience and good vision, but he also has the ability to pick the right lane and gun through it at a moment’s notice.

It’s odd to think of a 224-pound running back with a 4.50 40 as more of a space player than a between-the-tackles kind of player, but that’s where Johnson excels. He’s not just a good pass-catcher—he's sophisticated in everything he does in the receiving game, from running a surprisingly diverse array of routes, to playing with precision and deception.

He also brings soft hands, good catching technique and the ability to win contested balls.

A good runner, Johnson may be an even better receiver. His route running is sometimes superb, and though he shouldn’t make the transition to receiver despite his size, his contributions in the passing game, before and after the catch, are tantalizing.

With room to grow both physically and as an inside runner, Johnson has the ability to be the most versatile running back in the draft.

He is a guy that put up great combine numbers... And one I need to research more (as I know little about him). Interest is piqued.

I got a Brandon Jacobs vibe when I watched him run. He's a big dude with quickness and good power. Nothing flashy to his game and like some of you said, he's a damn good receiver so I'm definitely intrigued to see where he ends up or how early/late he goes in the NFL draft.

Pat Kerwin loves the guy which may not be a ringing endorsement but it was was in a discussion with Gil Brandt who also gave him some props. That alone gives me some interest....

Per NFL Radio

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis believes Northern Iowa RB David Johnson is a "total mismatch" versus linebackers in the passing game.
"Other RB that got my attention-David Johnson at N. Iowa - former WR that runs with balance, control and Goes! Vs. LBs in pass game? Total mismatch," Davis tweeted. The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson was highly productive for the Panthers, finishing his college career with 3,519 yards and 26 touchdowns. Last season, Johnson hauled in 24 receptions for 501 yards and five touchdowns. The Northern Iowa prospect could be the most reliable pass-catcher among this year's RB class.

Source: Charles Davis on Twitter
Mar 3 - 4:02 PM

Rotoworld:

David Johnson - RB - Panthers

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson "could be drafted in the Day 2 range before it's all said and done," noted ESPN's Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl.

Johnson "displays very good versatility on tape and continued to catch the ball well during the drill work portion of the workout," they wrote. "He is a great example of a small-school prospect who has taken full advantage of the postseason process by creating a buzz within scouting circles." At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash, and leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump. Johnson posted the second highest Speed Score amongst running backs. NFL Media analyst Charles Davis calls him a "total mismatch" versus linebackers in the passing game.

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 5 - 11:45 PM

Pat Kerwin loves the guy which may not be a ringing endorsement but it was was in a discussion with Gil Brandt who also gave him some props. That alone gives me some interest....

Per NFL Radio
Same here. I like Kirwan's judgement of players, and he has a simple metric for explosiveness, with johnson measuring third best among rbs currently

Rotoworld:

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson will not be a "foundation back" in the NFL, says NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

"His size, his straight-line speed, and his receiving ability will get him drafted, but you have to understand his limitations," Cosell said. "He's not an inside runner. He's not a powerful runner despite his size. He's not really that laterally quick. To me, his best chance to be a factor is with a team that deploys a high percentage of shotgun with three-wide receiver personnel, and you can use him as a receiver. I don't think he's a foundation back in this league, based on his running style." At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash, and leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump. Johnson posted the second highest Speed Score amongst running backs. That performance had ESPN's Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl suggesting a Day 2 selection was in his future. On tape, Cosell sees a lack of fluidity and a kind of timidness when he's about to take a shot. These issues manifest in stiff hips, a surprising lack of m

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 15 - 4:18 PM

He's a potential 1st round pick in Dynasty leagues.
I doubt it. There's plenty of guys who are potential 1st round picks it seems. Strong/Coates/Perriman/Yeldon/DGB/Abdullah/Coleman, even Mariotta and Winston. And that's not to mention the obvious of Gurley/Gordon/Cooper/White/Ajayi. I don't see him getting taken in front of most of those unless he ends up in a Cowboys uniform, or you're talking 16 team leagues.

It does seem that I under-estimated Johnson's draft stock. He certainly has gotten a lot of buzz similar to Terrance West last year.

Rob Rang has him ranked as the 65th overall prospect now. A 2nd to 3rd round pick just missing the top 64 players on his big board.

I doubt it. There's plenty of guys who are potential 1st round picks it seems. Strong/Coates/Perriman/Yeldon/DGB/Abdullah/Coleman, even Mariotta and Winston. And that's not to mention the obvious of Gurley/Gordon/Cooper/White/Ajayi. I don't see him getting taken in front of most of those unless he ends up in a Cowboys uniform, or you're talking 16 team leagues.
Well depending on where he lands I'll be most likely taking him 9th overall.

i'd be surprised to see coates go in the 1st of rookie drafts. for that matter, he's on my "do not draft" list.

In my dynasty league, which generally places a lot of value on RBs, due to a flex option, Johnson is definitely in the mix of RBs that will be considered in late round one. I think there are few RBs that are fighting for late round one and early round two status, based largely on NFL draft position and landing spot (NFL team)... and this assumes a handful of RBs went in early or mid round one in my league. Johnson (or similar) could sneak ahead of someone like Coates and/or Perriman; I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Zyphros said:
He should go 2nd-3rd round of the NFL draft. Any RB in that range is a strong threat to go top 10-12 in a rookie draft.

I need to watch more of Johnson, but I'm intrigued so far. Reminds me of Matt Forte with a little bit of Kevin Smith mixed in.

Forte went 2nd round to Chicago and became a top 10 rookie pick in a year where he didn't have much hype leading into the draft.

Zyphros said:
He should go 2nd-3rd round of the NFL draft. Any RB in that range is a strong threat to go top 10-12 in a rookie draft.

I need to watch more of Johnson, but I'm intrigued so far. Reminds me of Matt Forte with a little bit of Kevin Smith mixed in.

Forte went 2nd round to Chicago and became a top 10 rookie pick in a year where he didn't have much hype leading into the draft.
If he does end up going in the 2nd I think there can be strong consideration for it, but there will be some other guys below Johnson or in that 2nd round rookie pick category that will land in ideal spots to catapult him. I like Johnson too, but trying to think realistically that it is unlikely it will happen that he is in that 10-12. If that's where people are going to end up drafting him, he won't get on any of my squads.

If he does end up going in the 2nd I think there can be strong consideration for it, but there will be some other guys below Johnson or in that 2nd round rookie pick category that will land in ideal spots to catapult him. I like Johnson too, but trying to think realistically that it is unlikely it will happen that he is in that 10-12. If that's where people are going to end up drafting him, he won't get on any of my squads.
Wouldn't say it's unlikely at all. DraftScout has him as the #7 RB in the draft and his workouts could realistically propel him ahead of guys like Duke Johnson and Tevin Coleman (pending 40). If he's the 5th-6th RB drafted then there's a good chance he'll be a top 10 rookie pick even with four first round WRs.

Nevermind that the logic you're using against him ("there will be some other guys...in that 2nd round rookie pick category that will land in ideal spots to catapult him") also applies to Johnson himself. There's also the prospect of people landing in bad spots ala Jeremy Hill/Christine Michael to push their ADP down.

Bottom line is that if he's a top 75 pick in the NFL draft as a RB then he's likely to be a relatively early pick in the rookie draft.

Rotoworld:

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson has the "lower-body strength to churn out yards between the tackles and the second gear to break longer runs when he gets room to build steam," writes Steve Muench of ESPN.

"He shows good patience setting up his blocks, and he doesn't waste time getting his shoulders north-south once he sees daylight," Muench wrote. "Plus, he's built to carry a heavy workload and stay healthy doing so. While he's inconsistent in pass protection at this point, he's a natural pass-catcher who adjusts to passes thrown outside his frame and picks up yards after the catch." The analyst sees Johnson as a good option for the Cowboys as a potential compliment to free-agent signee Darren McFadden. "Johnson is more 'fast' than 'quick' on tape," Muench wrote. "He doesn't show great burst to and through the hole, or acceleration around the corner on perimeter runs. He's also a high-cut runner who doesn't break as many tackles you might expect for a bigger back."

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 20 - 10:24 PM

Bojang0301 said:
So if Shanny gets him in ATL this guy is going how high?
1.08 is possible, unlikely but I could see it in some leagues. He's definitely be gone before the second in most leagues.

I love him as a receiver and he's got great workout numbers but he looks like one of those guys who doesn't translate his skill to running the ball well. Whether it's instincts or vision or whatever, he doesn't seem to make many plays when he's handed the ball.

I'm not sure where to slot him right now. The draft will help define him a lot for me. Not just the team but where he's taken in the draft. If he slips to the 4th round, I'd say that's a pretty bad sign with his measureables. If someone drafts him in the early 3rd, I'd bump him up a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bojang0301 said:
So if Shanny gets him in ATL this guy is going how high?
1.08 is possible, unlikely but I could see it in some leagues. He's definitely be gone before the second in most leagues.

I love him as a receiver and he's got great workout numbers but he looks like one of those guys who doesn't translate his skill to running the ball well. Whether it's instincts or vision or whatever, he doesn't seem to make many plays when he's handed the ball.

I'm not sure where to slot him right now. The draft will help define him a lot for me. Not just the team but where he's taken in the draft. If he slips to the 4th round, I'd say that's a pretty bad sign with his measureables. If someone drafts him in the early 3rd, I'd bump him up a bit.
I think he's more athlete than football player as well, although I do think he can make a damn fine football player. Those types of people I'm generally pessimistic on due to recent high profile guys (Stephen Hill, Justin Hunter, Cordarelle Patterson). Can't think of any RB comparisons in that regard off hand, T-rich maybe? Those are all WR's, but you get the point. I will say this though, having athleticism at the RB positions seems to be a key feature which is why I'm cautiously optimistic on Johnson.

Rotoworld:

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson will not be a "foundation back" in the NFL, says NFL Films' Greg Cosell.

"His size, his straight-line speed, and his receiving ability will get him drafted, but you have to understand his limitations," Cosell said. "He's not an inside runner. He's not a powerful runner despite his size. He's not really that laterally quick. To me, his best chance to be a factor is with a team that deploys a high percentage of shotgun with three-wide receiver personnel, and you can use him as a receiver. I don't think he's a foundation back in this league, based on his running style." At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash, and leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump. Johnson posted the second highest Speed Score amongst running backs. That performance had ESPN's Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl suggesting a Day 2 selection was in his future. On tape, Cosell sees a lack of fluidity and a kind of timidness when he's about to take a shot. These issues manifest in stiff hips, a surprising lack of m

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 15 - 4:18 PM
I heard a podcast yesterday where Cosell said he was not powerful, runs too high, no elusiveness, gears down to contact, doesn't run thru tackles. He called him soft and said he was a chess piece.

ETA: Link to podcast http://www.blogtalkradio.com/dougfarrarnfl/2015/03/20/the-nfl-draft-podcast-with-greg-cosell-the-running-backs

@evansilva · 28m

Biggest flag on David Johnson when I watched was tendency to buckle up & brace self at point of attack. A Gabbertian approach to running.
@evansilva · 26m

Due to fear of contact, David Johnson left a ton of yards on field. Rarely finished runs. Alarming lack of power/physicality for 6'1/224 RB.
@evansilva · 24m

This is why I think David Johnson will end up at H-Back or maybe as a ST gunner. A Fugazi before the 3rd round of Dynasty rookie drafts.

I have been watching more of him. He's a good athlete and I think his east-west movement is good. Fluid change of direction for a tall back. Thin lower body though. Almost reminiscent of McFadden at times. That's probably at the root of the "no power" criticisms. He reminds me of a few players. Matt Forte. Kevin Smith. The best comparison might be James Starks. Both are taller and leaner backs with good movement and good (not great) explosiveness.

I don't actually see him being a top 5 RB in this class. Might be closer to the bottom of the top 10. I don't think this group is stocked with bulletproof prospects though. Lots of mediocre situation-dependent types. If someone burns a top 75 draft pick on him then he'll likely be a top 12-15 rookie pick.

If someone burns a top 75 draft pick on him then he'll likely be a top 12-15 rookie pick.
This has been mentioned a few times now but isn't necessarily this case. In the past few drafts, where no RBs go in the 1st round, sure getting taken in round 2 or 3 is probably going to result in a bump for fantasy. That's only because a RB drafted there would be one of the top RBs drafted. In this class that won't be the case. If he gets drafted around 75, there are likely 7-9 RBs going in front of him. No way he's in the 12-15 range unless it's a situation people fall in love with. FWIW, he runs like Chris Brown IMO.

don't forget Parker... since we are gonna name 15 guys.... Think Devante get's some Love.

If someone burns a top 75 draft pick on him then he'll likely be a top 12-15 rookie pick.
This has been mentioned a few times now but isn't necessarily this case. In the past few drafts, where no RBs go in the 1st round, sure getting taken in round 2 or 3 is probably going to result in a bump for fantasy. That's only because a RB drafted there would be one of the top RBs drafted. In this class that won't be the case. If he gets drafted around 75, there are likely 7-9 RBs going in front of him. No way he's in the 12-15 range unless it's a situation people fall in love with.FWIW, he runs like Chris Brown IMO.
Exactly who I thought of. A lot of people around here went nuts for him.

I have been watching more of him. He's a good athlete and I think his east-west movement is good. Fluid change of direction for a tall back. Thin lower body though. Almost reminiscent of McFadden at times. That's probably at the root of the "no power" criticisms. He reminds me of a few players. Matt Forte. Kevin Smith. The best comparison might be James Starks. Both are taller and leaner backs with good movement and good (not great) explosiveness.

I don't actually see him being a top 5 RB in this class. Might be closer to the bottom of the top 10. I don't think this group is stocked with bulletproof prospects though. Lots of mediocre situation-dependent types. If someone burns a top 75 draft pick on him then he'll likely be a top 12-15 rookie pick.
:bs:

Well, Martin is the same weight despite being three inches shorter. Johnson is slightly below average for a RB when you look at weight per height.

I would say he's in that Starks/Forte mold physically. Not really a bruiser.

Check the official combine weigh-ins

Todd Gurley: 6005" 222 lbs

David Johnson: 6005" 224 lbs

Some say that David Johnson is not a physical inside runner (like Evan Silva) but his physique has nothing to do with that.

Bear in mind that listed height/weights don't say anything about the distribution of that weight. They don't tell you if a guy has relatively long or short arms/legs, or whether he's bulkier in the upper body or the lower body. So you can get guys like Robert Turbin who look like tanks on paper, but aren't really built to run hard because they have a high center of gravity and a top-heavy frame. I wouldn't say that's Johnson, but just because he and Gurley have the same listed height/weight doesn't mean they have the same body. Gurley certainly looks bulkier through the lower body. I would say he runs pretty high though and probably isn't as outright powerful as his reputation would have you think. Different conversation though.

Rotoworld:

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson "remains relatively anonymous among fans but his ability to play on all three downs should earn him a mid-round selection and early playing time," writes CBS Sports' Rob Rang.
At the Senior Bowl, according to Rang, Johnson jumped onto the NFL's radar by displaying a blend of "power, burst, balance, vision and hands out of the backfield." Johnson posted three consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons, so you know he can produce. "Johnson's receiving skills are perhaps his most intriguing asset, as he shows terrific hand-eye coordination, focus and flexibility to easily catch passes away from his body and quickly turn upfield," Rang wrote. At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash, and leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump.

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 13 - 5:24 PM

Rotoworld:

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson is a "tough, no-nonsense hombre who is compared to Matt Forte in terms of his ability as a runner and receiver out of the backfield," writes NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.
"The medics should check how much tread he has left after being battered like an off-road SUV four years at UNI," Cooney cautions. At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash and leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump. "I was probably a late bloomer because of my height," Johnson said. "I was tall and lanky. I was 190 with clothes on. I wasn't the biggest back coming out. I was able to catch. And with me playing receiver in high school, a lot of teams were projecting me to play receiver."

Apr 14 - 7:54 AM

Rotoworld:

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson is a "tough, no-nonsense hombre who is compared to Matt Forte in terms of his ability as a runner and receiver out of the backfield," writes NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.

"The medics should check how much tread he has left after being battered like an off-road SUV four years at UNI," Cooney cautions. At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson clocked a 4.50 40-yard dash and leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump. "I was probably a late bloomer because of my height," Johnson said. "I was tall and lanky. I was 190 with clothes on. I wasn't the biggest back coming out. I was able to catch. And with me playing receiver in high school, a lot of teams were projecting me to play receiver."

Apr 14 - 7:54 AM
I don't know if this guy has ever written something I agree with.

Bear in mind that listed height/weights don't say anything about the distribution of that weight. They don't tell you if a guy has relatively long or short arms/legs, or whether he's bulkier in the upper body or the lower body. So you can get guys like Robert Turbin who look like tanks on paper, but aren't really built to run hard because they have a high center of gravity and a top-heavy frame. I wouldn't say that's Johnson, but just because he and Gurley have the same listed height/weight doesn't mean they have the same body. Gurley certainly looks bulkier through the lower body. I would say he runs pretty high though and probably isn't as outright powerful as his reputation would have you think. Different conversation though.
It's all about the thigh measurements. That's really overly-simplified but you have to look beyond the listed height and weight and take a look at these guys. A workout warrior carrying his weight high is much different than a bowling ball built like MJD.

Rotoworld:

NFL coaches "raved" about Northern Iowa RB David Johnson, reports CBS Sports' Pete Prisco.

"Now I know why," Prisco wrote. "He is a complete back. He can run it, catch it and he's a willing blocker. He doesn't have great speed, but he ran 4.50, which is good enough." At the combine, the 6-foot-1, 225-pound Johnson leaped to a 41.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-7-inch broad jump. Johnson posted three consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons in college.

Apr 19 - 8:51 PM

I've only watched the Iowa game but was far more impressed by his receiving and blocking than his running.

Rotoworld:

Northern Iowa RB David Johnson is visiting the Falcons on Monday, according to Vaughn McClure.

Johnson is a unique evaluation. He is at his best as a receive rout of the backfield, displaying comfort and body control to make difficult catches. We do not view him as a natural runner behind the line of scrimmage - his movements and vision do not look fluid. Johnson also posted one of the best Combine workouts of any ball carrier this year.

Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Apr 20 - 12:35 PM

I like his frame and his shiftyness.

His pass catching and pass protection are valuable traits as well that will speed up his opportunity to get on the field.

I'd like to see him in NE.

Users who are viewing this thread