What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (3 Viewers)

DJ was still given at least one more snap on a passing down that I saw, and he successfully picked up the block. So he definitely wasn't benched for the first miss.

Chris Johnson is playing very well (much to my surprise).

In redraft, I'd treat DJ as a talented handcuff on a high-powered offense. Probably safe to drop if you have bye week issues, but if you have room on your roster I'd rather be holding if CJ goes down.

Raise your hand if you're the schmuck who originally cuffed Ellington with David Johnson and didn't bother with CJ. :hey:

Well I had to cut loose Arian Foster so since I own CJ2K I picked up David.

I don't expect CJ2K to slow down nor lose the job. This is purely an insurance policy as I feel if something were to happen, David Johnson would be a huge benefactor IMO. Not Ellington.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I had to cut loose Arian Foster so since I own CJ2K I picked up David.

I don't expect CJ2K to slow down nor lose the job. This is purely an insurance policy as I feel if something were to happen, David Johnson would be a huge benefactor IMO. Not Ellington.
Agreed. I have CJ too and was holding DJ as wll but had to cut with week 9 byes and short bench.

Hope he's quiet against Cleveland and I can get him back after next week.

I rostered both David & Duke Jr in full PPR earlier this season but had to drop them both. I'll have byes covered beyond Week 8 so next week I hope to grab one of them back.

Which Johnson? FBGs Top 200 Forwars has been telling for weeks Duke has more value. I don't agree.

If I needed one for an RB2 or Flex I'd take Duke. But I don't, unless something happens to Forsett or Gurley. I don't see Duke blowing up even if Crowell's role were suddenly reduced. They'd just give that role to Turbin.

But David has a legitimate shot at a late season run. If nothing else, I could see them resting CJ once they had the playoff seed wrapped up. We've seen that time and again, almost every year. Young talented guy shows flashes but never gets an opportunity. Late season, all of a sudden the vet holding the job has a nagging injury, they decide to be cautious, and voilá, 30 touch 150 yard game out of nowhere.

I rostered both David & Duke Jr in full PPR earlier this season but had to drop them both. I'll have byes covered beyond Week 8 so next week I hope to grab one of them back.

Which Johnson? FBGs Top 200 Forwars has been telling for weeks Duke has more value. I don't agree.

If I needed one for an RB2 or Flex I'd take Duke. But I don't, unless something happens to Forsett or Gurley. I don't see Duke blowing up even if Crowell's role were suddenly reduced. They'd just give that role to Turbin.

But David has a legitimate shot at a late season run. If nothing else, I could see them resting CJ once they had the playoff seed wrapped up. We've seen that time and again, almost every year. Young talented guy shows flashes but never gets an opportunity. Late season, all of a sudden the vet holding the job has a nagging injury, they decide to be cautious, and voilá, 30 touch 150 yard game out of nowhere.
Cards are going to be playing until the end, I wouldnt let playoff seeds to have any impact on your decision. Not like the Cards are 7-0, they lost to Landry Jones and nearly crapped away that game to Balt.

Funny this was bumped today. I was offered CJ2k or Stewart for Johnson today. Johnson is keeper eligible. Im ambivalent. Trade deadline is next week. I think I would rather hold Johnson

Got C.Johnson in dynasty today, just because we need points.

If C.Johnson goes down, I hope D.Johnson not Ellington will make my points.

AcerFC said:
Funny this was bumped today. I was offered CJ2k or Stewart for Johnson today. Johnson is keeper eligible. Im ambivalent. Trade deadline is next week. I think I would rather hold Johnson
I think David Johnson might be the 2nd best back from this draft class. Big versatile kid like that? No way would I give him up in dynasty for CJ2K or Stewart.

Since Ellington came back in week 5 he has had 12 carries, 5 catches on 7 targets (1TD) and Johnson has 10 carries, 5 catches on 5 targets (2TDs). So Ellington has had 19 opportunities and Johnson has had 15 (not including kickoff returns, 10 since week 5). Based on those limited numbers is there a chance that Johnson could be the bell cow if CJ gets hurt (something I consider unlikely btw)?

Since Ellington came back in week 5 he has had 12 carries, 5 catches on 7 targets (1TD) and Johnson has 10 carries, 5 catches on 5 targets (2TDs). So Ellington has had 19 opportunities and Johnson has had 15 (not including kickoff returns, 10 since week 5). Based on those limited numbers is there a chance that Johnson could be the bell cow if CJ gets hurt (something I consider unlikely btw)?
prolly not this year.

prolly not this year.
Agreed. This is a team with Super Bowl aspirations, and I would think Arians would trust the running game - and more importantly, the ability to keep Palmer upright - to Ellington (or even Stepfan Taylor) over DJ. I am sure that Arians would spell Ellington with DJ to try to keep Ellington healthy (something that he, unlike CJ, has not had much success doing), but the backfield would likely be Ellington's.

DJ will get his time, but as Sniff said, probably next year.

prolly not this year.
"It isn't hard, because the young guy sits." - Arians 10/7/15That was in reference to DJ the week Ellington returned.

Didn't quite hold true. It's been all CJ & two young guys sitting. David Johnson is dynamic. But if he doesn't display excellent pass pro, doesn't matter.

The key to the Cardinals making a SB run is Palmer ending the game with a clean jersey.

prolly not this year.
"It isn't hard, because the young guy sits." - Arians 10/7/15That was in reference to DJ the week Ellington returned.

Didn't quite hold true. It's been all CJ & two young guys sitting. David Johnson is dynamic. But if he doesn't display excellent pass pro, doesn't matter.

The key to the Cardinals making a SB run is Palmer ending the game with a clean jersey.
Pretty easy to keep a clean jersey if you hand off to DJ a lot (if they would). Its not like the guy doesn't seem to make something very positive happen every single time he touches the ball.

prolly not this year.

Pretty easy to keep a clean jersey if you hand off to DJ a lot (if they would). Its not like the guy doesn't seem to make something very positive happen every single time he touches the ball.
True, but he also almost got Palmer killed a few weeks ago whiffing on a block - from there it seemed like DJ's playing time went down. From the team standpoint, if DJ is in there, the defense probably will know it's going to be a running play since he probably isn't trusted in pass pro yet. I'm sure that factors into the play calling/snap count.

prolly not this year.

True, but he also almost got Palmer killed a few weeks ago whiffing on a block - from there it seemed like DJ's playing time went down. From the team standpoint, if DJ is in there, the defense probably will know it's going to be a running play since he probably isn't trusted in pass pro yet. I'm sure that factors into the play calling/snap count.
You're probably right on those points. Seems logical but I hope the defenses DO think its a running play because he's already shown he can make hay when catching (IF he is allowed into the game).

I was doing by weekly gameday cycle through back-up RBs until I maxed out my waiver moves and landed on Johnson going into the late afternoon games. Lucky spin. Too bad his ROS is ####ty (STL, MIN, PHI, GB, SEA) but he's so talented I'm excited to see what he can do if he can get a legit workload. Of course, I'm sure ARI will work in Taylor because Arians is Arians and DJ is a rookie.

I picked him up for the 3rd time earlier today and actually started him in a minimal return yardage league. I'll take the results today and excited about potential opportunity for next week.

He did look a little tenative to me today though.

As a cards fan, hate seeing Chris Johnson and Ellington go down...their RB depth was something the cards haven't had in years (decades???).

As a David Johnson fan, people will be surprised when he gets an opportunity; current alignment of tea leaves looks like next week would be that time.

He is a fun, electric player who has been held back by Arians but also used in key situations (goal line, special teams) throughout the year. He's ready to be fantasy owners huckleberry...

Chris Johnson (knee) was spotted with a "significant limp" on Monday.
GM Steve Keim has said Johnson has a bone bruise, but an MRI could reveal further injury. Johnson has never missed a game with injury in his eight-year career, but he's looking less than 50-50 for Week 13. With Andre Ellington (toe) also ailing, David Johnson is one of this week's top waiver adds.

The Cardinals are calling Andre Ellington's injury turf toe.
It can be a multi-week, sometimes even season-ending, injury. Ellington should be considered doubtful for Week 13. That, coupled with Chris Johnson's knee injury, makes David Johnson one of the week's top waiver adds.

So what could we possibly be looking at here for the rest of the year? Will Arians trust him? If Johnson is out multiple weeks were looking at an easy RB1 correct?

So what could we possibly be looking at here for the rest of the year? Will Arians trust him? If Johnson is out multiple weeks were looking at an easy RB1 correct?
Even both CJ and Ellington are out, you can bet that Arians will mix in Stepfan Taylor and maybe even Kerwynn Williams enough to confound us DJ owners.

Yeah don't get to excited. Arians hates rookies. He'll bring some bum off the streets to share the workload.

Hopefully, after 12 weeks of playing in the NFL, Arians won't look at him as a rookie. I lost Bell, traded away Rawls a week before the Lynch injury and Ivory and Ingram are sputtering. I need some help here!

Even both CJ and Ellington are out, you can bet that Arians will mix in Stepfan Taylor and maybe even Kerwynn Williams enough to confound us DJ owners.
I agree. I think Arians will keep up a committee. But D Johnson could be a very nice RB2 down the playoff stretch.

I held onto him for 9 weeks until I was forced to drop him due to injuries. Hopefully I can snatch him back up.

I think it was about this time of year when 2.9 YPC Mendy got hurt for the 2nd or 3rd time & a rookie named Ellington with an 8.0 YPC finally saw double digit touches. Still wasn't a bell cow but it was enough to make him relevant.

Look up those game logs from a few years ago, should be a good indicator.

The Cardinals' website considers rookie David Johnson the team's "likely" Week 13 starter at running back against St. Louis.
Chris Johnson has a bone bruise on his left knee, while Andre Ellington is nursing a case of turf toe. "I have all the confidence in the world in him starting," coach Bruce Arians said of David Johnson on Monday. A third-round rookie out of East Carolina, Johnson is averaging 4.0 yards per carry but has scored eight all-purpose touchdowns, four on the ground, three as a receiver, and one on a kickoff return. He'll be a plug-and-play fantasy RB2 against the Rams.

The Cardinals' website considers rookie David Johnson the team's "likely" Week 13 starter at running back against St. Louis.
Chris Johnson has a bone bruise on his left knee, while Andre Ellington is nursing a case of turf toe. "I have all the confidence in the world in him starting," coach Bruce Arians said of David Johnson on Monday. A third-round rookie out of East Carolina, Johnson is averaging 4.0 yards per carry but has scored eight all-purpose touchdowns, four on the ground, three as a receiver, and one on a kickoff return. He'll be a plug-and-play fantasy RB2 against the Rams.
Too bad I own the one who went to Northern Iowa :kicksrock:

Drooling to get him in redraft, he will win many many titles this year, book it.

I have WW priority 2 and the guy in front of me lost Gronk with no one of quality to back him up so praying he goes Chandler.

I picked the wrong week to use my #1 ww two weeks ago(Amendola). I'm not sure what to Expect from DJ. If he's their bellcow then his value is huge going forward.

Cards are going to be playing until the end, I wouldnt let playoff seeds to have any impact on your decision. Not like the Cards are 7-0, they lost to Landry Jones and nearly crapped away that game to Balt.
Tanks for nuttin'!

NOTE TO SELF: Propose increasing roster from 16 to 18 this offseason.

And when the DJ owner runs the table,

:ptts:

Dude already has 8 TDs as the 3rd stringer (including one return TD).

I'm looking forward to this.
Saw a tweet that said his high carry game before yesterday's 8 carries was 7. I checked and on the year he only has 35 caries and 29 receptions so that has to be one of the highest touch-to-TD ratios in the league if not the highest. I'd love to see what he could do with 20 carries and a couple of receptions added on.

BobbyLayne said:

Saw a tweet that said his high carry game before yesterday's 8 carries was 7. I checked and on the year he only has 35 caries and 29 receptions so that has to be one of the highest touch-to-TD ratios in the league if not the highest. I'd love to see what he could do with 20 carries and a couple of receptions added on.
Off-topic, reminds me of my favorite RB stat of all-time:

5 carries, minus 1 yard, 3 TDs
Jerome Bettis, correct?

BobbyLayne said:

Off-topic, reminds me of my favorite RB stat of all-time:5 carries, minus 1 yard, 3 TDs
Jerome Bettis, correct?
The Bus

(went to hit like on my phone & deleted :lol: )

Users who are viewing this thread