What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (2 Viewers)

He kind of got a late start in the NFL. He's got to be a huge dog to make the HOF but 2000 total yards, 70+ receptions, double digit TD'S is his ceiling the next 2-3 years and 2-3 years of top ten RB production in fantasy football is likely to happen barring injury.

Monster season coming up boys. 
I'll say it's a possibility but not willing to say "likely"  yet. 

This has definitely got one of those situations where he is going to get hurt in the first 3 games and never be himself again written all over it.

flapgreen said:
Played a handful of games and he's Walter Payton 
No, Walter couldn't catch like the scintillating David Johnson.  Johnson is more like a cross between Ladainian Sanders and the Greek Hero Achilles.  

Honestly, I think DJ is going to crush Walter Payton end of year stats, sorry.  

Seriously, hyperbole aside, he showed ability and explosiveness last year that few possess.  Fewer still who are going to be a lead back on a high powered offense with a good veteran QB at the helm.  I don't think he has the upside of Gurley, but it's not out of the question that DJ will end up having a better year, especially considering the talent around them.  

Neither Johnson or Gurley fell to me at 8, which makes me very happy.  More guys for me to pick from that I wanted. 

Neither Johnson or Gurley fell to me at 8, which makes me very happy.  More guys for me to pick from that I wanted. 
I'll take Johnson and Gurley and give you every other RB drafted in rounds 1 and 2 of your draft for a bet on the top RB in total points and the end of the year. Any amount you want.

I'm probably not picking a rb in the first 2 rounds so I'll stick with DeAndre and a guy like Evans,  Hilton or Landry with the next pick. 

Well that's a pretty good start. But you'd take Hopkins over Gurley and DJ? 
PPR.  Not saying it isn't a close call but yeah.  Actually slow draft and currently at the 7th pick. Will likely get Green or Hopkins but would still pick one of them even if DJ and Gurley were available.  Not saying it's a bad pick taking one of the rbs but I've taken a top rb in each of the last 2 seasons and they got hurt both times.  Just too high injury risk at that position for me right now

PPR.  Not saying it isn't a close call but yeah.  Actually slow draft and currently at the 7th pick. Will likely get Green or Hopkins but would still pick one of them even if DJ and Gurley were available.  Not saying it's a bad pick taking one of the rbs but I've taken a top rb in each of the last 2 seasons and they got hurt both times.  Just too high injury risk at that position for me right now
I totally get that. It does seem like WR's stay healthy longer than RB's, and it sure is nice to have your first round pick healthy all year.

I'm kind of with Trip where DJ might be my #1 player this year. The only WR I'd consider over him is Brown.

But that's me picking from the 8th spot so changes things.  Only reason got DeAndre is because Gronk,  Gurley,  and DJ all taken.  If Gurley,  Gronk and all the top wrs taken,  I would have to at least consider DJ,  which I swore not to. :shrug:

I totally get that. It does seem like WR's stay healthy longer than RB's, and it sure is nice to have your first round pick healthy all year.

I'm kind of with Trip where DJ might be my #1 player this year. The only WR I'd consider over him is Brown.
This is my conundrum, picking between DJ and Brown at 1. Only reason i'm considering it is because there is some sick WR value typically at the 2/3 turn like Marshall, Evans, Allen, Cooks, Watkins etc. It feels like this is a year you *could* take an RB early and still get 2 good ones with your next two. Not to mention you could also grab someone like Floyd, Maclin or Landry at the 4/5 turn and that's a pretty good looking group. Especially in standard, it's tempting to do this. Brown is basically as close to "can't miss" as there is though.

I think Hopkins is a touch overrated at this juncture.  I think the Texans are, at least going to try to revert to a heavy running offense.  Hopkins should be fine for TDs but if you're drafting him for PPR I don't think he'll be a super high volume guy.

If you look at last season he had 63 targets in November (15.75 targets/game), which is at 21-26 more targets than he had in October or December (9.9 targets/game). In September he had 12.67 targets/game).  He finished with 192 targets in 2015, personally I think it will be closer to 150-160 this year, IF they get their ground game churning again.

Sorry for the :hijack:

LionOfGosforth said:
This is my conundrum, picking between DJ and Brown at 1. Only reason i'm considering it is because there is some sick WR value typically at the 2/3 turn like Marshall, Evans, Allen, Cooks, Watkins etc. It feels like this is a year you *could* take an RB early and still get 2 good ones with your next two. Not to mention you could also grab someone like Floyd, Maclin or Landry at the 4/5 turn and that's a pretty good looking group. Especially in standard, it's tempting to do this. Brown is basically as close to "can't miss" as there is though.
Totally agree. The WR value at the turn is awesome, which makes me really want to draft DJ at 1.01.

Totally agree. The WR value at the turn is awesome, which makes me really want to draft DJ at 1.01.
Gotta hope though if you do this, that the RB you select hits because Brown will do his thing, health permitting for him and Ben, all year long basically guaranteed. I'll mind F this all the way to draft night  :)

kutta said:
I'll take Johnson and Gurley and give you every other RB drafted in rounds 1 and 2 of your draft for a bet on the top RB in total points and the end of the year. Any amount you want.
That's not a terrible bet.  AP, EE, Charles, Lacy & Miller all have a legit shot at RB #1 this year.

No one considering Odell over Brown?  If for no other reason than Eli is the closest thing to a mortal lock to start 16 while Big Ben is almost a mortal lock to miss multiple games?

I definitely take Odell over DJ but Brown concerns me because of Big Ben's durability and Jarvis Landry has been, to paraphrase a talking orange haired troll doll running for President, a complete and total disaster.

I see it Odell>DJ>Brown YMMV

No one considering Odell over Brown?  If for no other reason than Eli is the closest thing to a mortal lock to start 16 while Big Ben is almost a mortal lock to miss multiple games?

I definitely take Odell over DJ but Brown concerns me because of Big Ben's durability and Jarvis Landry has been, to paraphrase a talking orange haired troll doll running for President, a complete and total disaster.

I think you meant Landry Jones  :)

Fair point though, I think OBJ probably has more TD upside and the almost certain outcome of Eli playing 16, however, he has a tendency to get banged up while Brown, God willing, never seems to get hurt or miss time. Tough choice, probably can't go wrong either way. Might prefer Brown by a hair in PPR, OBJ by a hair in standard.

Me! In a one keep keeper league where I had both. I traded Brown. To be fair I got some decent compensation for him but I did like at all how Brown did when Roth went down. Eli never misses time. I think we might be seeing the end of Ben. Reports are he lost weight so "he's in better shape." They all do this when the feel Father Time closing in. Ben always relied on his size and strength to extend plays. I don't see him losing weight and all of a sudden becoming Fran Tarkington. Long story short: I see more missed time for him this year and just a shorter career than Eli.

Once again he looks great today. Had a couple runs with nowhere to go, but broke a decent one and converted a goal line touch to a TD. And, he played every snap on two drives before he was pulled, and had a couple nice blocks in pass protection.

He's going to rock this year.

Once again he looks great today. Had a couple runs with nowhere to go, but broke a decent one and converted a goal line touch to a TD. And, he played every snap on two drives before he was pulled, and had a couple nice blocks in pass protection.

He's going to rock this year.
I think so too. But when he had tremendous run at the end of last year, both Ellington and CJ were injured. He should max out at 20 carries and 4-5 receptions per game.

He was a Division 2 rb.  What did you expect to hear? 
What are you trying to say? Division 2 rb = automatically soft?

What I expect to hear from scouts is accurate analysis, since after all that's what they make their living off of. DJ isn't a Lynch or a Blount between the tackles but I don't know how you could call him "soft".

I was the game and watched the cards' backfield closely. DJ was in on every single snap except four or five. And on those snaps he took himself out of the game. He was never pulled by the coaches. He's in for a huge work load this year.

Nice game, but all the damn passing TDs inside the 5 were annoying. He could have had 2-3 TDs. Maybe next week. 

Why would that bother you, coach?  I thought you didn't even use your first or second round pick.
It only matters for my MegaZealotXXIV big money league, in which, after I ran the table 3 seasons in a row without using my first three picks (to the great embarrassment of the other owners), they instituted a mandatory pick rule for picks in the top 3 rounds. 

Sharks gonna shark. :shrug:  

Can we ask again who would prefer Gurley to DJ? After game 1, do you still feel the same way?

A big selling point of DJ was the Cardinal offense is just so much better. Looks like that might turn out to be the deciding factor here.

Users who are viewing this thread