What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (2 Viewers)

Cortisone or toradol shot pre-game.  Non-issue.  Will be a "problem" again Monday.  If he was a lineman, it would never have been mentioned in presser.

Last edited by a moderator:
David Johnson (back) is a game-time decision for the Cardinals' Week 6 matchup against the Falcons.

Johnson did manage to return to practice Friday and said he felt good. Chase Edmonds would receive a fantasy-friendly three-down role if DJ is ultimately sidelined. It seems likely that Edmonds will be involved to some extent even if Johnson is active, as the second-year RB received a season-high 11 touches in Week 5 with DJ playing a modest 70% of the offense's snaps.

SOURCE: Bob McManaman on Twitter.

Oct 11, 2019, 3:58 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports David Johnson (back) is likely to play Sunday.

Johnson managed to return to practice Friday and said he felt good, but coach Kliff Kingsbury called him a game-time decision. It seems that DJ is trying to at least give it a shot, although he's certainly at risk of playing reduced snaps. Edmonds received a season-high 11 touches in Week 5 with DJ playing a modest 70% of the offense's snaps. Fire up Edmonds with confidence as a high-end RB2 if Johnson is ultimately sidelined.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter.

Oct 11, 2019, 4:01 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports David Johnson (back) is expected to play in Week 6 against the Falcons.

This news unsurprisingly falls after the stud back participated in Friday's practice. With Johnson now locked and loaded for Week 6, he's arguably a Top 10 option at his position barring any reports of limitations. While Chase Edmonds remains an extremely valuable season-long stash, he's merely a FLEX option (at best) against the Falcons if Johnson's truly good to go.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 13, 2019, 1:39 AM ET

Rewind to your draft: You pulled tbe trigger and selected johnson as a starter when he fell a bit to you in the early third round of your PPR draft and as insurance with your last pick in the 16th you grabbed his handcuff Chase Edmonds.

Fast forward to the present and it's week 6 & Johnson is questionable with a back injury but expected to play today with wr Christian Kirk out. 

Always start your studs.  Rolling with David Johnson today as the handcuff rides tbe bench.

Rewind to your draft: You pulled tbe trigger and selected johnson as a starter when he fell a bit to you in the early third round of your PPR draft and as insurance with your last pick in the 16th you grabbed his handcuff Chase Edmonds.

Fast forward to the present and it's week 6 & Johnson is questionable with a back injury but expected to play today with wr Christian Kirk out. 

Always start your studs.  Rolling with David Johnson today as the handcuff rides tbe bench.
Third round?? 

The tougher decision to make is when you have other viable options.  For instance, I sat Chubb and Keenan Allen in favor of Johnson this week.  Talent and juicy matchup, though it comes with some chance if he re-aggravate that back or has his snaps limited.

FantasyPros‏ @FantasyProsNFL 1m1 minute ago

David Johnson officially active for Week 6 http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/232459/david-johnson-officially-active-week-6.php … via @c_rooney_ #fantasyfootball

The tougher decision to make is when you have other viable options.  For instance, I sat Chubb and Keenan Allen in favor of Johnson this week.  Talent and juicy matchup, though it comes with some chance if he re-aggravate that back or has his snaps limited.
Yup. I have Conner in over him right now. Too much risk for me.

DJ having a good fantasy game so far even with Edmonds being used liberally.

That said, not just off this week, but unfortunately Edmonds seems to be a better runner.

David Johnson rushed 12 times for 34 yards and one touchdown, adding six receptions, 68 yards and another score as a receiver in the Cardinals' Week 6 win over the Falcons.

Johnson was playing through a back injury -- he was looked at by the training staff at times during the game -- but he looked as explosive and as agile as he usually does. In the fourth quarter when the Cardinals needed points, Johnson caught a 50/50 ball in the end zone for a touchdown. That was likely the difference between a win and a loss for Arizona. Kyler Murray is making improvements every week, which will only raise the floor and ceiling for Johnson in fantasy. Johnson will be an RB1 against the Giants next week.

What are you talking about? He didn't slide past the 1st round in a single draft I took part in this year.

I sold him for Kupp and White right before yesterday's games and am regretting it currently but I know that's recency bias based on one game.

D.J. is at least getting utilized. I think the troubling thing is the running lanes aren’t open like they should be in this system. No one in the NFL is that worried about Murray running. 11/32 is a misuse of snaps.

D.J. is at least getting utilized. I think the troubling thing is the running lanes aren’t open like they should be in this system. No one in the NFL is that worried about Murray running. 11/32 is a misuse of snaps.
He is certainly no worse off than how the chiefs or Patriots or bears or a host of other teams are using their backs.  He is making good on his opportunities despite the team having a poor line.  I would take it and not overthink it too much.  If anything, I think Edmonds' presence helps because, in this system, they can get them both in the game at the same time and I like DJ as. A receiver every bit as much as a runner. 

Shutout said:
He is certainly no worse off than how the chiefs or Patriots or bears or a host of other teams are using their backs.  He is making good on his opportunities despite the team having a poor line.  I would take it and not overthink it too much.  If anything, I think Edmonds' presence helps because, in this system, they can get them both in the game at the same time and I like DJ as. A receiver every bit as much as a runner. 
I agree.  having another threat helps.  I picked up Chase Edmonds last week and not just as a handcuff.  I think going forward we will see a lot of them on the field together.   And both are dynamic backs and threats running or receiving.  

barackdhouse said:
What are you talking about? He didn't slide past the 1st round in a single draft I took part in this year.
He fell to me at 11th in the first round in one of my ffpc league. Week 12 byes suck, but I was still shocked. 

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Give it time. Murray keeps playing like he has the last 2 games, and those lanes will start opening up.

Would just like to see him get a handful more touches. He’s been getting 15-20 total touches. which is nothing to sneeze at, but 20-25 would be more ideal for a guy who is being depended upon as an RB1.

Would just like to see him get a handful more touches. He’s been getting 15-20 total touches. which is nothing to sneeze at, but 20-25 would be more ideal for a guy who is being depended upon as an RB1.
That may come if the Cardinals start playing with leads. They've been chasing every week, except for this week vs Atlanta, where Johnson was clearly banged up. 

Somebody did a study and determined a reception is worth over 2.5 rushes for fantasy in terms of yardage expectation, so with Johnson getting 5+ receptions every week, its like he's getting 12 more carries added vs RB's who don't catch anywhere near as often.

I think he's a top-8 RB(maybe top-5) on his current workload, if if gets bigger, and Arizona keeps improving, Johnson's ceiling is as high as anyone short of McCaffrey in my opinion. 

I don’t see what the problem is. I’m pleased with what he’s done up to this point and I feel like he’s about to get even more as the offense improves. 

I have studs on other teams I’m way more worried about. 

That may come if the Cardinals start playing with leads. They've been chasing every week, except for this week vs Atlanta, where Johnson was clearly banged up. 

Somebody did a study and determined a reception is worth over 2.5 rushes for fantasy in terms of yardage expectation, so with Johnson getting 5+ receptions every week, its like he's getting 12 more carries added vs RB's who don't catch anywhere near as often.

I think he's a top-8 RB(maybe top-5) on his current workload, if if gets bigger, and Arizona keeps improving, Johnson's ceiling is as high as anyone short of McCaffrey in my opinion. 
Not to mention, getting tackled in space by a single DB after a reception seems a lot more appealing than being mauled by a pack of DLs and LBs at the end of a 3 yard carry.

The last game was a false positive.  ATL defense is putrid,  If Chase gets that second TD (which he should have) instead of DJ, we are looking at DJ quite differently today.

The last game was a false positive.  ATL defense is putrid,  If Chase gets that second TD (which he should have) instead of DJ, we are looking at DJ quite differently today.
You are probably right.  If Chase got that 2nd TD I definitely would not be happy with DJ today.  As it is I am not happy with the amount of play Chase is getting.

DJ will probably skip a few more practices than normal as they monitor the back injury. Since he had a "soft issue back injury", those things can re-occur if he doesn't rest enough.

The Chase TD could have just as easily been a Johnson TD, and we could be looking at Johnson having 3 TD's on Sunday.

The real positive for Johnson, is the Cards are starting to figure things out, especially in the redzone, where they were the most FG heavy team in the league. Even with a harder schedule coming up, this is an offense on the rise in my opinion.

David Johnson (ankle) returned to Cardinals practice on Thursday.

Even with the new injury, Johnson is ahead of where he was last week with his back. He will be out there for a gorgeous matchup with the Giants. Despite his continued underwhelming running, Johnson has kept himself in the high-end RB1 mix with his pass catching and goal-line opportunities. With only two scores on the ground, DJ is due for some positive regression in that department.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Oct 17, 2019, 2:32 PM ET

So, will DJ play this weekend? DJ said “hopefully” he can play this weekend, unlike ‘I’m good to go’ last week. I find that interesting, but it could also mean zip too. The ‘hopefully’ info is from Darren Urban (Twitter) after talking to DJ. The RB also said he was feeling good, so...

So, will DJ play this weekend? DJ said “hopefully” he can play this weekend, unlike ‘I’m good to go’ last week. I find that interesting, but it could also mean zip too. The ‘hopefully’ info is from Darren Urban (Twitter) after talking to DJ. The RB also said he was feeling good, so...
I actually hope DJ sits.  But I also have both DJ and Chase Edmonds.

Sitting would allow DJ to heal and avoid the risk of an early exit from the game and allow Chase to be featured. 

Price check on David Johnson in dynasty PPR?

DJ owner told me he'd take Diggs straight up for him. Not sure if good or bad deal for me. Start 2 RBs, 3 WR & 2 flex. I'm good at WR, but nothing behind D. Henry & Fournette... I'm also a competitor now so not in rebuild mode either.
I’d jump at that trade. High volume starting RB’s are hard to find.

So, will DJ play this weekend? DJ said “hopefully” he can play this weekend, unlike ‘I’m good to go’ last week. I find that interesting, but it could also mean zip too. The ‘hopefully’ info is from Darren Urban (Twitter) after talking to DJ. The RB also said he was feeling good, so...
I think he plays.

Users who are viewing this thread