What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (1 Viewer)

@AdamSchefter

Cardinals RB David Johnson won’t play Sunday against the Saints due to his ankle injury, per source. Johnson is expected to miss Sunday vs. Saints and Thursday night’s game against the San Francisco 49ers, per source.
So he went from a game time decision to being out for both this game and the next one? Kingsbury being a gigantic liar is good info to file away going forward if you ever have Cardinal players.

So he went from a game time decision to being out for both this game and the next one? Kingsbury being a gigantic liar is good info to file away going forward if you ever have Cardinal players.
Or just trying to make it a little more difficult for his opponents to game plan. I doubt he cares very much about our fantasy teams...

I expect the Cardinals are breaking rules.

He was hurt, came to get one carry last week, now is gonna miss 2 more after being Questionable? 

This isnt about competitive edge, he is manipulating rules or out and out not following them. 

It may not be premature to say that we possibly have seen the last of DJ as a true workhorse.

Unless Edmonds gets hurt, DJ is going to have to share time at best going forward. And he isn’t tradable, so he’ll probably play out the last few years of his contract, when he’ll already be 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect the Cardinals are breaking rules.

He was hurt, came to get one carry last week, now is gonna miss 2 more after being Questionable? 

This isnt about competitive edge, he is manipulating rules or out and out not following them. 
Weird how people want to go down this road.   Injuries/recovery  aren't always predictable.  This and the next game are a few days apart.  Maybe they want to give him a chance to actually heal.  

It's easy to look good against Cincy, Atlanta, and the NYG. We'll find out where they really stand the next couple of weeks.
Agreed. I might be glass half full here, but I think this recent boom has been less about who they've played and more about Murray and Kingsbury getting comfortable in the NFL. Opponents have helped sure, but i'm not sure its been the driving force.
They were neutered by the first decent opponent they've faced in a while. The future looks bright, but I think it's pretty clear it was the opponents making them look better than they are.

Cardinals' David Johnson: Present at practice Wednesday

by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Johnson (ankle) was seen at Wednesday's practice, Kyle Odegard of the Cardinals' official site reports.

If Johnson indeed takes part in the session, it'll mark his first activity on the practice field since Oct. 18. Because coach Kliff Kingsbury considers Johnson day-to-day, there's a chance the running back will be available Thursday, which will be clarified upon the release of Wednesday's injury report. Otherwise, Kenyan Drake, Zach Zenner and Alfred Morris are the candidates to produce out of the Cardinals' backfield with Chase Edmonds (hamstring) in recovery mode.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Johnson (ankle) is "still working through it" but it will be a "running back by committee" regardless.

Kingsbury made his rounds on Wednesday, ruling Chase Edmonds (hamstring) out before declaring that Kenyan Drake will play "in some capacity" in a committee with Zach Zenner and Alfred Morris. With Johnson trending towards a game-time decision, this situation is one to avoid altogether against a nightmarish Niners defense limiting opposing running backs to just 82.8 rushing yards per game.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 3:52 PM ET

I'm not interested in Johnson this week, but if he's at practice, that makes me feel pretty good about playing him against Tampa in week 10. I wouldn't expect Drake to see any more work than Edmonds was seeing.
TB is great against the run.  Hopefully he can sustain us through the receiving game.

TB is great against the run.  Hopefully he can sustain us through the receiving game.
Well, this season he's put up 17, 14, 17, 9, and 18 points just as a pass catcher, while averaging 7 points a week as a rusher. Its been unconventional, but he's been a solid RB1, and pretty matchup proof. Just a matter of staying on the field. 

David Johnson (ankle) is inactive for Week 9 against the 49ers.

Chase Edmonds (hamstring) was previously ruled out, meaning early-week trade acquisition Kenyan Drake will be running as the starter. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler has reported Drake will see "major run" despite his newness to the offense. He will be running behind an offensive line missing RT Justin Murray. Also inactive for the Cardinals are DL Zach Allen, WR Damiere Byrd, S Charles Washington, and DL Michael Dogbe.

Oct 31, 2019, 6:52 PM ET

I'm not so sure. Drake looks explosive.
I doubt DJ sees less than 70% of the backfield touches, but who knows. Drake has looked good, but DJ has made some impressive elite level catches this year and is one of the best double threat backs in the league. Seems perfect for this offense. 

I doubt DJ sees less than 70% of the backfield touches, but who knows. Drake has looked good, but DJ has made some impressive elite level catches this year and is one of the best double threat backs in the league. Seems perfect for this offense. 
Looked good? Yes... I was expecting "looking good" something like 10 carries for 41 yds tonight. He looks like he's been playing in this offense since August.

Looked good? Yes... I was expecting "looking good" something like 10 carries for 41 yds tonight. He looks like he's been playing in this offense since August.
Honestly, I was only able to see the first 5 minutes and the 4th quarter so far, pesky kids and there trick or treating, lol. 

looks like it’s been the drake show the whole game? Zenner or Morris been involved at all?

Honestly, I was only able to see the first 5 minutes and the 4th quarter so far, pesky kids and there trick or treating, lol. 

looks like it’s been the drake show the whole game? Zenner or Morris been involved at all?

Maybe 1 carry each? Entire offense looked like it went through Drake in 2nd half. He even caught the 2-pt conversion.

Must be close to 30 pts in PPR.

Maybe 1 carry each? Entire offense looked like it went through Drake in 2nd half. He even caught the 2-pt conversion.

Must be close to 30 pts in PPR.
Wow. Crazy. I just don’t see Drake supplanting DJ once he’s 100%, we shall see how it plays out next week

Too much Debbie Downer here. David Johnson is the most valuable skill player on the Cardinals. Its nice they have good depth behind him, but his jib is in zero danger, just like it was in zero danger after Edmonds torched the Giants. 

Drake is likely the #2, but that was the expectation the second the trade was made. Edmonds is probably looking at more special teams work when he gets back. Sucks for him, as he was playing well, but that's life in the NFL for a young RB.

I'd see it like this when everyone is healthy:

Johnson-65%

Drake-30%

Edmonds-5%

With the caveat that any of these guys(especially Johnson) can line up out wide from time to time.

Funny how less than a week ago we were talking about Edmonds being the new dog in town.  How quickly things change.
Well, well, well... Drake looked great. ARI is going to need a healthy DJ before Drake gives way. Once healthy I would imagine we'll see a lot of DJ in run and pass and also Drake will get his chances to show off his talent. Edmonds, the league-winner, just two weeks ago will work his way back in to finish the season RBBC in ARI? 

I own DJ and really dont like what I am seeing.

Everyone else that gets the start looks better running the ball than DJ has all year, imo. Hopefully its because the Cardinals are improving and not that the other backs have more wiggle in the hole or are more explosive. DJ catches well. Everyone agrees there. To me, DJ has not looked as good as Drake last night or Edmonds against the Giants in the running game. I dont think anyone was going to look good against the Saints, however, I didnt think anyone would look good against tehe 49ers either.

Im happy if DJ gets split out wide more, but that seems to be his only hope of being a top producer like he was early in the season.

DJ is averaging 3.9 a carry playing against:

DET

BAL

CAR

SEA

CIN

Edmonds was 4.6 against the Giants and Drake was 7.3 last night.

Everyone else that gets the start looks better running the ball than DJ has all year, imo. Hopefully its because the Cardinals are improving and not that the other backs have more wiggle in the hole or are more explosive. DJ catches well. Everyone agrees there. To me, DJ has not looked as good as Drake last night or Edmonds against the Giants in the running game. I dont think anyone was going to look good against the Saints, however, I didnt think anyone would look good against tehe 49ers either.

Im happy if DJ gets split out wide more, but that seems to be his only hope of being a top producer like he was early in the season.

DET

BAL

CAR

SEA

CIN

Note to self - stay away from DJ in the 2020 draft. He fell to me at 9 and I bit. 

Glad we got some return value and the season isn't over.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Johnson (ankle) is expected to suit up in Week 10 against the Buccaneers.

Johnson should walk right back into his starting role, although Kenyan Drake deserves to keep getting touches after posting 15-110-1 rushing and 4-52-0 receiving lines against the 49ers on Thursday night. Overall, Drake posted a workhorse 84% snap rate. Chase Edmonds (hamstring) is tentatively expected to be sidelined again.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter.

Nov 1, 2019, 4:00 PM ET

L5UT1ger said:

DET

BAL

CAR

SEA

CIN

I'm going to keep saying don't worry. This isn't about to become a 3-man RBBC. David Johnson is their workhorse, Drake and Edmonds each had 1 great game. Johnson is the guy defenses fear. He's the unstoppable mismatch in the passing game, and he's a good enough runner to get the most carries. 

I've been saying that while the schedule had helped, the Cardinals offense is looking better because Kingsbury is getting more comfortable with playcalling, and Murray is getting more comfortable. This system is pretty good, and could be elite if Murray becomes as good as I think he can be. Any RB should be reasonably productive in it. That isn't to take anything away from Drake, Edmonds, or Johnson, they've all looked good, but as the old adage goes, if everyone looks good, maybe look elsewhere for the cause.

I look at these 3 RB's, and see 3 pretty equal rushers.  Johnson obviously crushes as a pass catcher, and while I think Edmonds might actually be the best short yardage runner, I'd be shocked if Johnson didn't get that job, based on his size, history, and just having your "best" player on the field in the most important situations.

When Johnson comes back(seemingly next week) I'd probably have him ranked around RB8 or so. Drake probably around RB30, and Edmonds not ranked at all, and he seems unlikely to be back for a couple more weeks anyway.

ETA: Its kind of funny to me, I was calling David Johnson overrated for years, but I feel like now that other people are on board, they have gone too far in the other direction.

Users who are viewing this thread