Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Biabreakable

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson RB Houston Texans

@AdamSchefter

Cardinals RB David Johnson won’t play Sunday against the Saints due to his ankle injury, per source. Johnson is expected to miss Sunday vs. Saints and Thursday night’s game against the San Francisco 49ers, per source.

1 hour ago, tackle for loss said:

@AdamSchefter

Cardinals RB David Johnson won’t play Sunday against the Saints due to his ankle injury, per source. Johnson is expected to miss Sunday vs. Saints and Thursday night’s game against the San Francisco 49ers, per source.

Not surprising but it does make our job easier. 

2 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

@AdamSchefter

At least we know. Fire up Chase!

3 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

@AdamSchefter

Given this bit of news what do you think Chase’s value is in redraft?  With the tough 4 game stretch and DJ likely coming back at some point I was thinking of trading him now. 

I was thinking of asking for A. Robinson from the DJ owner. Is that fair value?

5 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Weird thing is, does anyone know what this ankle injury is? What kind it is? 

I haven’t seen that come up at all. This is all really weird- I still get nothing but bad vibes from it and expect DJ won’t finish the year. 

5 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

@AdamSchefter

So he went from a game time decision to being out for both this game and the next one? Kingsbury being a gigantic liar is good info to file away going forward if you ever have Cardinal players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

So he went from a game time decision to being out for both this game and the next one? Kingsbury being a gigantic liar is good info to file away going forward if you ever have Cardinal players.

Or just trying to make it a little more difficult for his opponents to game plan. I doubt he cares very much about our fantasy teams...

• Like 1

I expect the Cardinals are breaking rules.

He was hurt, came to get one carry last week, now is gonna miss 2 more after being Questionable? 

This isnt about competitive edge, he is manipulating rules or out and out not following them. 

• Like 2

It may not be premature to say that we possibly have seen the last of DJ as a true workhorse.

Unless Edmonds gets hurt, DJ is going to have to share time at best going forward. And he isn’t tradable, so he’ll probably play out the last few years of his contract, when he’ll already be 30.

Edited by zamboni
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

I expect the Cardinals are breaking rules.

He was hurt, came to get one carry last week, now is gonna miss 2 more after being Questionable? 

This isnt about competitive edge, he is manipulating rules or out and out not following them. 

Weird how people want to go down this road.   Injuries/recovery  aren't always predictable.  This and the next game are a few days apart.  Maybe they want to give him a chance to actually heal.  

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 11:06 AM, travdogg said:
On 10/21/2019 at 10:52 AM, humpback said:

It's easy to look good against Cincy, Atlanta, and the NYG. We'll find out where they really stand the next couple of weeks.

Agreed. I might be glass half full here, but I think this recent boom has been less about who they've played and more about Murray and Kingsbury getting comfortable in the NFL. Opponents have helped sure, but i'm not sure its been the driving force.

They were neutered by the first decent opponent they've faced in a while. The future looks bright, but I think it's pretty clear it was the opponents making them look better than they are.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Dynasty.  DJ or Edmonds straight up.  Gun to your head.  Go

Team makeup matters.

Really?

13 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Dynasty.  DJ or Edmonds straight up.  Gun to your head.  Go

Team makeup matters.

Johnson by a mile. Team makeup is irrelevant. You'll get more in trade for Johnson than Edmonds is worth.

13 hours ago, djmich said:

Really?

12 hours ago, travdogg said:

Johnson by a mile. Team makeup is irrelevant. You'll get more in trade for Johnson than Edmonds is worth.

Thanks for answering after yesterday's game.

1 hour ago, ghostguy123 said:

Thanks for answering after yesterday's game.

Didn't see it until then. Answer would have been the same regardless.

14 minutes ago, fatness said:

Cardinals just traded for Kenyan Drake. Not sure what that will mean for Johnson.

means nothing different than 24 hours ago

Cardinals' David Johnson: Present at practice Wednesday

by RotoWire Staff
(1 hr ago) Johnson (ankle) was seen at Wednesday's practice, Kyle Odegard of the Cardinals' official site reports.

If Johnson indeed takes part in the session, it'll mark his first activity on the practice field since Oct. 18. Because coach Kliff Kingsbury considers Johnson day-to-day, there's a chance the running back will be available Thursday, which will be clarified upon the release of Wednesday's injury report. Otherwise, Kenyan Drake, Zach Zenner and Alfred Morris are the candidates to produce out of the Cardinals' backfield with Chase Edmonds (hamstring) in recovery mode.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Johnson (ankle) is "still working through it" but it will be a "running back by committee" regardless.

Kingsbury made his rounds on Wednesday, ruling Chase Edmonds (hamstring) out before declaring that Kenyan Drake will play "in some capacity" in a committee with Zach Zenner and Alfred Morris. With Johnson trending towards a game-time decision, this situation is one to avoid altogether against a nightmarish Niners defense limiting opposing running backs to just 82.8 rushing yards per game.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 3:52 PM ET

I'm not interested in Johnson this week, but if he's at practice, that makes me feel pretty good about playing him against Tampa in week 10. I wouldn't expect Drake to see any more work than Edmonds was seeing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, travdogg said:

I'm not interested in Johnson this week, but if he's at practice, that makes me feel pretty good about playing him against Tampa in week 10. I wouldn't expect Drake to see any more work than Edmonds was seeing.

TB is great against the run.  Hopefully he can sustain us through the receiving game.

4 hours ago, SCT said:

TB is great against the run.  Hopefully he can sustain us through the receiving game.

Well, this season he's put up 17, 14, 17, 9, and 18 points just as a pass catcher, while averaging 7 points a week as a rusher. Its been unconventional, but he's been a solid RB1, and pretty matchup proof. Just a matter of staying on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Even if he was active I would not have played him. Bad, bad matchup plus a committee.

Same, but I want him to sit just to avoid possibly aggravating it again.

• Love 2

David Johnson (ankle) is inactive for Week 9 against the 49ers.

Chase Edmonds (hamstring) was previously ruled out, meaning early-week trade acquisition Kenyan Drake will be running as the starter. ESPN's Jeremy Fowler has reported Drake will see "major run" despite his newness to the offense. He will be running behind an offensive line missing RT Justin Murray. Also inactive for the Cardinals are DL Zach Allen, WR Damiere Byrd, S Charles Washington, and DL Michael Dogbe.

Oct 31, 2019, 6:52 PM ET

6 minutes ago, ahartig said:

This is DJs backfield. If anything I could see Edmonds touches drop once he gets healthy. 

I'm not so sure. Drake looks explosive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

I'm not so sure. Drake looks explosive.

I doubt DJ sees less than 70% of the backfield touches, but who knows. Drake has looked good, but DJ has made some impressive elite level catches this year and is one of the best double threat backs in the league. Seems perfect for this offense. 

3 minutes ago, ahartig said:

I doubt DJ sees less than 70% of the backfield touches, but who knows. Drake has looked good, but DJ has made some impressive elite level catches this year and is one of the best double threat backs in the league. Seems perfect for this offense. 

Looked good? Yes... I was expecting "looking good" something like 10 carries for 41 yds tonight. He looks like he's been playing in this offense since August.

11 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

Looked good? Yes... I was expecting "looking good" something like 10 carries for 41 yds tonight. He looks like he's been playing in this offense since August.

Honestly, I was only able to see the first 5 minutes and the 4th quarter so far, pesky kids and there trick or treating, lol. 

looks like it’s been the drake show the whole game? Zenner or Morris been involved at all?

1 minute ago, ahartig said:

Honestly, I was only able to see the first 5 minutes and the 4th quarter so far, pesky kids and there trick or treating, lol. 

looks like it’s been the drake show the whole game? Zenner or Morris been involved at all?

Maybe 1 carry each? Entire offense looked like it went through Drake in 2nd half. He even caught the 2-pt conversion.

Must be close to 30 pts in PPR.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dizzy said:

Maybe 1 carry each? Entire offense looked like it went through Drake in 2nd half. He even caught the 2-pt conversion.

Must be close to 30 pts in PPR.

Wow. Crazy. I just don’t see Drake supplanting DJ once he’s 100%, we shall see how it plays out next week

Too much Debbie Downer here. David Johnson is the most valuable skill player on the Cardinals. Its nice they have good depth behind him, but his jib is in zero danger, just like it was in zero danger after Edmonds torched the Giants. 

Drake is likely the #2, but that was the expectation the second the trade was made. Edmonds is probably looking at more special teams work when he gets back. Sucks for him, as he was playing well, but that's life in the NFL for a young RB.

I'd see it like this when everyone is healthy:

Johnson-65%

Drake-30%

Edmonds-5%

With the caveat that any of these guys(especially Johnson) can line up out wide from time to time.

Edited by travdogg

Funny how less than a week ago we were talking about Edmonds being the new dog in town.  How quickly things change.

• Like 1