Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Biabreakable

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson RB Houston Texans

On 11/6/2019 at 6:10 PM, Bracie Smathers said:

Kingsbury seems tentative in how he plans to use DJ...:oldunsure:

On 11/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Bracie Smathers said:

I don't see him getting his 'normal' carry total ~11 so I'm less optimistic on how many carries he'll get with him coming off an injury

Kingsbury was  giving a 'tell' in that interview from a few days ago.  

Looks bad too, no burst. Seems so easy to use him in the passing game at least, he's not right or he's washed

Very possible that Johnson isn't near healthy these days but for his skills (and lack thereof) I can only imagine Johnson's future as some pass-catching hybrid (h-back/slot/3rd down).
Questionable vision, no quickness, below average speed, breaks very few tackles despite being a weight room stud. 
I had hope for this offence to salvage him but I think we've all seen enough.  Sucks for a hard working overachiever and apparent good guy.

Amazing. I’ve gotten 3 weeks of basically a zero in two leagues from the combo DJ and Chase.  And a lot of other folks have as well. 

And now with Drake in the mix not sure how anybody in the backfield can be started unless an injury providers clarity. 

Oh well. Point to the shirt is all I can say!

• Like 1

Salary + roster bonus of 11.25 million next year and 9 million in 2021.  I'm guessing he won't be back.

Edit: at those salaries.

Edited by minister

David Johnson rushed five times for two yards in the Cardinals' Week 10 loss to the Bucs.

Johnson "added" an eight-yard reception and lost a fumble. For the giveaway, Johnson was helpless as Lavonte David unleashed some serious dad/old man strength. (Full disclosure, David is only 29 years old.) 27-year-old Johnson, who was struggling on the ground even before injuring his ankle, looked like he was running with a piano on his back. He did not seem like someone who was healthy enough to be a part of the Cardinals' 46-man Sunday roster right now. Kenyan Drake was slightly more effective on the ground but an uninspiring 6/6 through the air. With both his health and the Cardinals' backfield uncertain, Johnson will be a risky RB2 for Week 11 against the 49ers.

No way he was 100%.

Edited by The Frankman

Man was this guy awesome his first two seasons. Ever since the week 1 wrist injury it’s been so ugly. Second year in a row he’s just looked miserable running the ball. 

I love this guy, drafted him in dynasty and he won me a championship (would have been 2 if I wasn't an idiot).  But today he looked like he wasn't even trying.

He looks hurt, plain and simple. He's not running well. He looks like he's heavy, too. 

Sad but I almost think the best chance to salvage anything for those of us who have DJ and Chase is is for DJ to go on IR and Chase to get any of Drake's crumbs.  And that's like best case scenario.  FML. 

:ptts:

edit: Oh and Chase has to get healthy first too

Edited by Buck Bradcanon

I sold him right after the 28 point game three weeks ago for Kupp.  Perfect timing.  Unfortunately I'm the unluckiest fantasy owner on the planet and haven't won a game since.

Coach Kliff Kingsbury said David Johnson has "obviously" been hampered by the back and ankle injuries he's been dealing with this season.

Kingsbury added that Johnson is "still working through those and getting a feel for it." More troubling was Kingsbury's admittance that Kenyan Drake worked ahead of Johnson down the stretch because, "We just felt like with Drake, needed to get something going and kept him rolling." The Cardinals' first-year coach said he'll figure out the best role for both Johnson and Drake "over the next few weeks" and then "run with it." Johnson hasn't looked to be anything close to 100% in recent weeks, struggling to get the edge or provide anything resembling his usual burst. It wouldn't be surprising to see Drake work as the offense's lead back sooner rather than later.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on ESPN.

Nov 11, 2019, 4:52 PM ET

On 11/10/2019 at 3:40 PM, minister said:

Salary + roster bonus of 11.25 million next year and 9 million in 2021.  I'm guessing he won't be back.

Edit: at those salaries.

His 2020 salary is fully guaranteed.

21 hours ago, SCT said:

I sold him right after the 28 point game three weeks ago for Kupp.  Perfect timing.  Unfortunately I'm the unluckiest fantasy owner on the planet and haven't won a game since.

Not sure your scoring format but Kupp outscored DJ in standard this week- very nice move. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Can't help but think there is some overreacting going on right now. Johnson was doing great until he got hurt this season, and was fine(though not the elite player many were hoping for) last season. He's clearly nowhere near 100%, might not be 50%. He looked so slow and tentative Sunday. He hasn't looked like that at all this year. He looks like a guy who shouldn't be medically cleared.

He might not be a bad buy-low in dynasty right now, given the reactions I'm reading in this thread. Kinda sounds like a 2nd round rookie pick would get it done, and maybe less.

5 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Oof

Yep, half of his 2020 salary was guaranteed at signing, the other half at the start of the 2019 league year. AND, if they don't cut him prior to the start of the 2020 league year (and eat the 10.2M guaranteed), $2.1M of his 2021 salary becomes guaranteed too.

30 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

Can't trade him, can't play him. Only hope is after the Bye week he comes out healthy and gets double digit touches.

And pray that Drake doesnt blow up this week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travdogg said:

Can't help but think there is some overreacting going on right now. Johnson was doing great until he got hurt this season, and was fine(though not the elite player many were hoping for) last season. He's clearly nowhere near 100%, might not be 50%. He looked so slow and tentative Sunday. He hasn't looked like that at all this year. He looks like a guy who shouldn't be medically cleared.

He might not be a bad buy-low in dynasty right now, given the reactions I'm reading in this thread. Kinda sounds like a 2nd round rookie pick would get it done, and maybe less.

For an early 2nd, I'd sell.

2 hours ago, djmich said:

And pray that Drake doesnt blow up this week.

@ 49ers, coming off a loss, I wouldn't want any AZ offense this week.

16 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Why was he even out there? Ridiculous.

I do like the response below that tweet though:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AreAyeWhyy/status/1194406403709882368

They need to shut him down - he’s obviously hurting. He won’t start for me again this season on either dynasty team I have him on.

• Like 1

I don't understand why he barely plays in the game, gets hurt, then is not on the injury report during the week. How's that work?

• Like 2

David Johnson was not listed on Wednesday's injury report.

This comes as a surprise after coach Kliff Kingsbury said Johnson has "obviously" been slowed by ankle and back injuries. In Week 10, Johnson was not running anywhere near his top speed and was limited to just five carries and one target. Arizona has lost the trust of fantasy owners this season, and it's muddied up projections for touches between Johnson and Kenyan Drake. Kingsbury said his plan is to find the best role for his running back duo "over the next few weeks." We'll see if Johnson stays off the injury report heading into Week 12's game against the 49ers.

So amazingly disingenuous that Arizona should be fined for this. Said earlier Kingsbury belongs in the Shanahan Circle of Distrust, people were like... "but he's fine and they won".

Edited by The Frankman

I get that we're just schmucks playing a dumb game and that we have to use our judgement on shoddy information. But this is against NFL rules to consistently lie about an injury each week. It's why Bellichek always has Brady and Any offensive player questionable every week to avoid the fines. 

Yeah, like I said, he looks really, really bad out there. He's obviously up against something.

20 hours ago, Insein said:

I don't understand why he barely plays in the game, gets hurt, then is not on the injury report during the week. How's that work?

Because Kingsbury has lied about his RB situation all season.

5 hours ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, like I said, he looks really, really bad out there. He's obviously up against something.

The linked clip shows a guy moving like some one within a wrecked back and/or bad ankle would. I have no idea why the team would put him out there like that but anyone that has him on their fantasy team needs to bench him like the Cardinals should - if he is somehow healed up and you miss a big game sobeit but right now I think we get more of the same from him this week.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

The linked clip shows a guy moving like some one within a wrecked back and/or bad ankle would. I have no idea why the team would put him out there like that but anyone that has him on their fantasy team needs to bench him like the Cardinals should - if he is somehow healed up and you miss a big game sobeit but right now I think we get more of the same from him this week.

I saw that play on red zone in real time and i remember thinking he looked hurt.  But on second watch i think it looks worse than it is because he also looked like he was waiting for a hole to open. The Bucs are a tough run d and i think people overestimate how much of their success against the run is because they're such a bad pass d.  

I think I speak for everyone when i say. I'm not starting him unless he has a big day or i really have no other choice because it doesn't seem like we can trust a healthy designation. But it's a month to the playoffs, and he does have a matchup against the browns week 15. 

The word on DJ on local Phoenix sports radio, including recent interviews with jay feely and mark schlereth, is that DJ is showing signs of a player who is done taking the punishment of a RB. He has been consistently tip toeing up to the line looking for a danger free path. Maybe this is because he is injured, but there were signs of this last year as well. I think his days of being an effective runner are done. His only value going forward will be in the passing game. Getting hit by a safety is not as painful as getting hit by the big guys up front. 

1 hour ago, Mark Football said:

The word on DJ on local Phoenix sports radio, including recent interviews with jay feely and mark schlereth, is that DJ is showing signs of a player who is done taking the punishment of a RB. He has been consistently tip toeing up to the line looking for a danger free path. Maybe this is because he is injured, but there were signs of this last year as well. I think his days of being an effective runner are done. His only value going forward will be in the passing game. Getting hit by a safety is not as painful as getting hit by the big guys up front. 

This makes sense. That clip reminded me of Shaun Alexander... some RBs go right off a cliff - from elite rusher to Sasquatch seemingly overnight.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 11:16 PM, zed2283 said:

I love this guy, drafted him in dynasty and he won me a championship (would have been 2 if I wasn't an idiot).  But today he looked like he wasn't even trying.

1 hour ago, Mark Football said:

Same thing I said above.

ETA: I hate to say it because he seems like a good kid, but it could also be related to him getting paid.  If this is really the case he just blew up the RB market that he and Bell and Gurley worked so hard to rebuild.

Edited by zed2283

53 minutes ago, zed2283 said:

Same thing I said above.

ETA: I hate to say it because he seems like a good kid, but it could also be related to him getting paid.  If this is really the case he just blew up the RB market that he and Bell and Gurley worked so hard to rebuild.

I think that may be a big factor too. Also, in an interview awhile back DJ said that his wife begged him to stop playing. Maybe he's complying with that request and just playing out the string for the money....All three of those RB's have blew up the market. I can't see any RB's getting close to that amount of money anytime soon. If I was McCaffrey/Barkley  I would move to receiver.

Whatever the issue is, I wish the guy the best.  Maybe he's phoning it in.... who knows, I'll always remember him as the massive, unstoppable torpedo that took the league by storm in 2015/2016.  Oh well...

https://youtu.be/Y17mKxV3jaY

Watching those highlights.... just wow.  Entirely different player right now

Edited by ahartig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zed2283 said:

Same thing I said above.

I think Gurley already did that. 

was offered DJ for Damien Williams straight up .... with his situation, schedule, and performance there is no way I could accept that ..crazy as that sounds 10 weeks ago.

• Like 1