What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (4 Viewers)

To me he looked like a guy running with a jacked up back - hopefully he's healthy for 2020. I'm sure most will connect dots and see him landing in Tampa Bay next year, which would of course be a pretty sweet landing spot assuming they either bring back Winston or find a free agent QB they like.
Definitely seems like a strong possibility.  Although even there I'd think he won't get close to his past production. 

Although I'd bet on the Steelers at least kicking the tires. 

He looked so bad last year that he wasn't even fit to run in a reasonable college game. If he's healthy, he's decent. If he's not fit, forget it.

if it could be done cap wise i could see a trade and or a release
Contract is guaranteed so cutting him won't help cap and only way I could see where they could deal him is they paid someone to take him, like the Osweiller deal.

I read a few weeks ago, can't recall from who, that the role he would play in Arizona next year if he returns would look more like an H-back then RB.

Contract is guaranteed so cutting him won't help cap and only way I could see where they could deal him is they paid someone to take him, like the Osweiller deal.

I read a few weeks ago, can't recall from who, that the role he would play in Arizona next year if he returns would look more like an H-back then RB.
It wouldn't help the cap this year, but it would help in future years because he would be off the books. I think they will just cut him. They have more than enough room to do so. If I were them, I would be concerned about a situation whereby a malcontent backup RB was making considerably more than the franchise back (presumably Drake).

Have to cut him prior to 3/20 or part of his 2021 salary becomes fully guaranteed ($2.1M.) I did not think they would a few months ago but given that and the ability to spread the cap hit between 2 years if they designate him a post-June 1st cut it's a definite possibility. That gives them some relief this year for the hit plus if he signs somewhere else his new salary will slightly offset what they owe.

I can't see someone trading him for him unless they send a pick with him like someone related with Brock Osweiler. They have repeatedly said they won't trade Patrick Peterson but a package deal with DJ would be a tantalizing offer for many teams IMO.

Faust said:
Yes, but the bigger picture is:

* they have the cap room to release him

* better to grasp the nettle and do it now than next year and incur further cap hits

* having him still on the roster will impact attempts to re-sign Drake because Drake will want more money than his backup

* he's not Kingsbury's guy, a coach building a new team will want to clear out the old guard

* he's already getting old for a RB (28 next season) so clearly not the future

* GMs (like Keim) are more inclined to make "difficult" decisions when things are going well (the same logic applies to politicians), right now he is golden because he drafted Murray so he will calculate it is good time to do it

I agree the prudent thing would be to rip the DJ band-aid off now and continue to rebuild, rather than build momentum this year and have to deal with it next year.

Of course, we’re not privy to all the other team factors that Keim and Kingsbury have to deal with.

Speaking Friday morning on 98.7 Arizona Sports, Cardinals GM Steve Keim said cutting David Johnson is "not an option."

Keim added that "you can't have just one back." The long-time Cardinals workhorse was essentially benched last season, fighting for scraps down the stretch behind trade acquisition Kenyan Drake. While Drake is headed for free agency, there appears to be mutual interest in a reunion. The reality is Johnson's exorbitant salary in 2020 makes him near impossible to release (it would leave behind a whopping $16.2 million in dead money) and similarly difficult to trade. Slowed by injuries and ineffectiveness, the declining 28-year-old has slumped to a pedestrian 3.6 yards per carry since breaking out for a career-best 20 touchdowns in 2016.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Feb 14, 2020, 10:30 AM ET

Cutting David Johnson would only save $3.15M. That's $1.05M in roster bonuses that he's owed during this year, plus $2.1M of his 2021 contract that becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster March 19th.

His $10.2M base salary for this year is fully guaranteed, so the only way to save that money would be to trade him.

There is also $6M of signing bonus that he was paid that hasn't counted against cap yet, which by default will count $3M this year and $3M next year (but would accelerate to all count this year if they cut or trade him).

His full 2021 salary is $9M (including roster bonuses), so if the $2.1M becomes guaranteed then they could still cut him after this year to save the other $6.9M.

I would have expected Keim to say that he is not going to cut him. It would make sense to try to get whatever he can for him in compensation (and salary cap relief) via trade. If he says he is going to cut him he kills any market for a trade. I still think he will eventually cut him after no-one trades for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking Tuesday, Cardinals GM Steve Keim said David Johnson is "a guy we still value."

"I think because of the success that Kenyan (Drake) had, because of the success Chase (Edmonds) had, I think that's something that will be a chip on his shoulder," Keim said of his highly-paid back. "He's going to want to come back and play well and again because of his skill-set. ... We certainly think he can jump back in and do some good things for us." The reality is, the decision has already been made for Arizona, as releasing Johnson would be cost-prohibitive. The Cards clearly want to re-sign Kenyan Drake, but Johnson's deal might make it impossible.

SOURCE: azcardinals.com

Feb 25, 2020, 4:21 PM ET

Is a reunion with BA in TB still a possibility? Not sure what the bucs cap looks like.
I’m hoping so. BA loved him, but who really knows. DJ’s contract makes it almost impossible to pull of a trade, and the Cards would kind of screw themselves by cutting him, but dang, Tampa seems like a match made in heaven. 

BA loved him
From yesterday:

@gregauman

Arians said he puts a premium on running backs who can catch, that way they stay on the field on third down. "Edgerrin James never came off the field. Marshall Faulk never came off the field. For me, I'm looking for that type of guy. David Johnson-type guy. I can't use his name."

Could DJ void his contract to facilitate a trade so he actually plays?  I assume this is possible but unlikely as he would not get near the same amount of money he is currently guaranteed, but still.  DJ seems like smart guy and one that is not content sitting on the sidelines when he got a taste of being a feature back......at what point does money not matter?  I'm sue he would still get a nice contract somewhere else and I can see DJ continuing his career off the field as an announcer or coach.

@gregauman

Arians said he puts a premium on running backs who can catch, that way they stay on the field on third down. "Edgerrin James never came off the field. Marshall Faulk never came off the field. For me, I'm looking for that type of guy. David Johnson-type guy. I can't use his name."
I can't use his name, what does that mean?

Could DJ void his contract to facilitate a trade so he actually plays?  I assume this is possible but unlikely as he would not get near the same amount of money he is currently guaranteed, but still.  DJ seems like smart guy and one that is not content sitting on the sidelines when he got a taste of being a feature back......at what point does money not matter?  I'm sue he would still get a nice contract somewhere else and I can see DJ continuing his career off the field as an announcer or coach.
If he was a smart guy he would not be voiding his sweet contract at 29 years old and the finish line to his career in sight.

I'm not arguing with you, just saying that people seem to think he's dead and there's a lot of reason to think that's not true.  
I didn't think you were. That was a sincere "thanks". I actually think he was injured last year and has a good chance to bounce back with health - he looked like a guy trying to run with a jacked up back.

I still think it wouldn't be a smart move for him financially to waive his contract following a season like that/ I also don't see how Arizona can afford to re-sign Drake so I don't think he really needs to go anywhere else to get back on the field.  

If I am David Johnson there is no way I am waiving that fat contract at this point in his career. He is now past his days of getting a big long term contract. Collect your money on that contract because moving forward you are probably on an incentive laden contract at 1-2 years.

Rotoworld take:

Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson reports the Texans have interest in trading for David Johnson.

The Texans are reportedly one of four teams with "interest in" Johnson. Cardinals GM Steve Keim said Johnson is "a guy we still value" but his actions say otherwise. The Cardinals just placed the transition tag on Kenyan Drake, which likely means he'll be back as the lead back in Arizona for the 2020 season, and Johnson was a pure backup down the stretch last season. A trade for the former Pro Bowler could be tricky given his enormous contract, but we certainly won't rule it out.

RELATED: 

Houston Texans

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 11:52 AM ET

Probably the best situation DJ could have gone to. If he's close to the same guy he was a few years ago, he could bounce back in a big way.   

Texans acquired RB David Johnson, a 2020 second-round pick, and a 2021 fourth-rounder from the Cardinals in exchange for DeAndre Hopkins and a 2020 fourth-round selection.

Blockbuster. The Texans will also take on every last penny of Johnson's contract, which includes $10.2 million fully guaranteed in 2020. Houston can save $9 million against the cap by outright releasing Johnson the following year. More to the point, Houston's offense now heads into the new league year with Will Fuller, Kenny Stills, Keke Coutee, and warm bodies available in three-wide sets while both Duke and David Johnson shore up their backfield. The declining 28-year-old was undoubtedly slowed by injuries last year, limping to an underwhelming 3.7 yards per carry on 94 attempts, but he'll at the very least have an every-down shot at rejuvenation given coach/GM/Thanos Bill O'Brien's stubborn tendencies. The hits just keep on coming for Deshaun Watson, who's tasked with even more hills to climb in order to succeed next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of opportunity but a terrible fit, Texans don’t throw to their existing stud receiving RB and DJ was always a better receiver than runner anyway. Maybe they plan to split DJ out wide full time and take Hopkins spot?

Plenty of opportunity but a terrible fit, Texans don’t throw to their existing stud receiving RB and DJ was always a better receiver than runner anyway. Maybe they plan to split DJ out wide full time and take Hopkins spot?
I was going to say the same thing.  He can play RB and also play out of the slot.

I was going to say the same thing.  He can play RB and also play out of the slot.
That's the only thing I can think of. They plan on running multiple RB sets with the other DJ or splitting one or both out wide on a regular basis. IMO, they don't have a true regular 1st & 2nd down RB on the roster with Hyde gone as I don't think they can use DJ with his injuries like they did Miller or Hyde. Those guys were more often used as 2 down bangers.

in the beginning of the season last year ...DJ showed solid pass catching ability... He had a sick catch for a TD thrown over his shoulder... looked like a WR

He's gonna bounce back hard

Users who are viewing this thread