Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Biabreakable

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson RB Houston Texans

18 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

If you drafted him you must be very happy. He looks very spry out there. 

On that TD run he looked EXACTLY like he did in 2016. 

1 minute ago, zed2283 said:

Hurt :rolleyes:

So strange! 

11 minutes ago, zed2283 said:

Hurt :rolleyes:

He's out and looks good on his first run. 

9 minutes ago, bagger said:

Exactly what I expected out of him.  Solid night.

Outscored CEH.

I'm mean if Watson gives it to DJ there at the end he scores. There was a hole and then he has a monster game. Happy with the performance. 

Edited by Milkman

David Johnson rushed 11 times for 77 yards and one touchdown in the Texans' Week 1 loss to the Chiefs, adding three catches for 32 yards on four targets.

The Texans were getting creamed in the second half after allowing 31 unanswered points, so Johnson saw just five carries after halftime. Acquired from the Cardinals in a stunning offseason trade, Johnson showed flashes of his pre-injury self in this one, particularly with a nice 19-yard touchdown scamper to the right pylon following a jump-cut. The Texans mixed in some Duke Johnson with two-RB looks, but it's evident David is viewed as a three-down back by coach Bill O'Brien. Johnson has a chance to crush his ADP after being written off by many in the fantasy community. It's hard not to root for him. Johnson gets a tough Week 2 draw against the Ravens where he'll be an RB2.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

I had big expectations for him, but I think he will surpass them. What should his current draft stock be in PPR?

I was taking him in the 2nd everywhere already. I had him as a top 7 RB. He could easily have a year like 2016 in this offense looking like he did last night. To be clear that's #1 RB in FF 400 point in PPR type season. Having said that, is anybody comfortable betting he'll stay healthy all year? I'm not so I still wouldn't draft him top 5 or even in the 1st round at all. 

6 hours ago, Milkman said:

I'm mean if Watson gives it to DJ there at the end he scores. There was a hole and then he has a monster game. Happy with the performance. 

Agreed. Until they got to the one on that drive, I was actually hoping DJ wouldn't get the ball any more and risk getting hurt again. Definitely a bit of a gut punch not getting that cheap TD,  as it would have turned out to be a 7 point fantasy TD (would have given him 110 total yards). At the end of the day though, as with other owners, still pleased he had a solid game and the injury seems OK (for now). If Duke is out, that may result in more touches (of course more chance of injury, too).

I'm guilty of emotional bias in favor of DJ since he helped me win a lot of $$$ with his performances don the stretch in 2015 and his monster 2016 season.  He's one of those guys I feel like I hit on before the rest of my league was aware. Obviously he's been a major disappointment overall since 2016 for a variety of reasons but I grabbed him as my RB2 in both my redrafts.

To me the only question mark is health. It was a bit troubling that he was getting his wrist looked at since that's bothered him before.  And I do worry that his upright running style exposes him to more injury risk.  As others have mentioned, his injury history seems a bit fluky.  But its the NFL, guys get hurt.

Looking at some data I came across  he's just beyond prime RB age at 28 but with just over 1,000 career touches which is well less than half of when RBs peak from a usage standpoint based on that same data. 

Last night showed he still has something left in the tank and I think Houston's offense overall will soon look better than it did last night.  If he can stay on the field I'm very confident in a top 10ish season based on volume alone.

Again, the health is the big IF.

• Like 2

Wonder the extent of Duke's injury and if serious if they have to bring someone in.  Shouldn't affect DJ either way..they need someone to help keep him fresh.

1 hour ago, VaTerp said:

I'm guilty of emotional bias in favor of DJ

Ain't nothing wrong with that, my friend. DJ is a humble guy who's historically faced a lot of adversity so easy to root for.

I'm tempering expectations the next few games against good run defenses (BAL/PIT/MIN)...but if he emerges from that stretch healthy then the rest of the season sets up well.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Buck Bradcanon said:

Wonder the extent of Duke's injury and if serious if they have to bring someone in.  Shouldn't affect DJ either way..they need someone to help keep him fresh.

They activated Scottie Phillips.

• Thanks 1

Targeted him as my flex in all my leagues (rb-rb-wr-rb order) couldn't be happier. He looks good and is going to be heavily involved with some monster games.

3 hours ago, ffmail4me said:

Owners have to be happy. He didn't look like he was running in quicksand last night unlike last year. 

He looked good last year.  He was a top 10 RB through the first 6 weeks and then he got hurt. 

11 minutes ago, Gally said:

He looked good last year.  He was a top 10 RB through the first 6 weeks and then he got hurt. 

If they are going to use him this way this offense fits him so much better. 

2 hours ago, Buck Bradcanon said:

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

David Johnson props paid off well:

OVER 50.5 rushing yards

OVER 79.5 scrimmage yards

OVER 12.5 carries (11)

OVER 24.5 receiving yards

------------------------------------------

He had 6 carries in the first half and 5 in the second half, 11 carries in a game he averaged 7 yards a pop.

BOB needs to feed him more.

• Like 2

Just now, Bracie Smathers said:

Mike Clay@MikeClayNFL

David Johnson props paid off well:

OVER 50.5 rushing yards

OVER 79.5 scrimmage yards

OVER 12.5 carries (11)

OVER 24.5 receiving yards

------------------------------------------

He had 6 carries in the first half and 5 in the second half, 11 carries in a game he averaged 7 yards a pop.

BOB needs to feed him more.

He will. They we're down a bunch last night. He's match-up proof too! Chooo Choooo

5 hours ago, VaTerp said:

I'm guilty of emotional bias in favor of DJ since he helped me win a lot of $$$ with his performances don the stretch in 2015 and his monster 2016 season.  He's one of those guys I feel like I hit on before the rest of my league was aware. Obviously he's been a major disappointment overall since 2016 for a variety of reasons but I grabbed him as my RB2 in both my redrafts.

To me the only question mark is health. It was a bit troubling that he was getting his wrist looked at since that's bothered him before.  And I do worry that his upright running style exposes him to more injury risk.  As others have mentioned, his injury history seems a bit fluky.  But its the NFL, guys get hurt.

Looking at some data I came across  he's just beyond prime RB age at 28 but with just over 1,000 career touches which is well less than half of when RBs peak from a usage standpoint based on that same data. 

Last night showed he still has something left in the tank and I think Houston's offense overall will soon look better than it did last night.  If he can stay on the field I'm very confident in a top 10ish season based on volume alone.

Again, the health is the big IF.

I am in the exact same boat, i won back to back leagues in 2015 and 2016 because of him, He is damn likable too.

Good breakdown here:

https://youtu.be/KHHle2bV87o

Edited by ahartig
  • Like 1

Tim @TimNFL

I thought this as I was the case last night in #Texans vs #Chiefs. 

While we can be excited about RB David Johnson, this usage is not optimal for him. He should be used in space & on the outside. 

As @evansilva pointed out, this was a pathetic coaching performance all around.

https://twitter.com/timnfl/status/1304507698780794888?s=21

I thought he looked closer to his 2016 self than we’ve seen him since.  But HOU feels like a smoldering dumpster fire...

Anyone sitting DJ this week with the PITT matchup?

I am sitting him for Chubb and Singletary....also have Hollywood Brown/Woods/OBJ in over him at flex

8 minutes ago, ahartig said:

Probably gonna roll him out again. My other option is Mike Davis....but his matchup may be even worse.

I know if I sit him he will go off for 150 and 2.

I know if I play him he will have 63 total yards.

I'm gonna roll the dice and start him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ahartig said:

I am sitting him for Chubb and Singletary....also have Hollywood Brown/Woods/OBJ in over him at flex

Debating with him and Fournette. 

4 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Debating with him and Fournette. 

I have the same decision I'm starting Fournette.

• Like 1

Tough call, Melvin did pretty good last week and I'd consider the Denver offense a decent step down from Houston.

Thoughts moving forward?  Hoping he goes off so I can sell high soon.

5 minutes ago, jm192 said:

Thoughts moving forward?  Hoping he goes off so I can sell high soon.

DJ should achieve high-end RB2 status for ROS.

He looks good physically. Tough defenses and negative game scripts have hurt both DJ and Watson's stats. Schedule lightens up considerably from here on out.

Not sure why the urge to sell given his ADP.

9 hours ago, Stoneworker said:

DJ should achieve high-end RB2 status for ROS.

He looks good physically. Tough defenses and negative game scripts have hurt both DJ and Watson's stats. Schedule lightens up considerably from here on out.

Not sure why the urge to sell given his ADP.

Agreed but I would up his projection to low end RB1. 

David Johnson rushed 16 times for 63 yards in the Texans' Week 4 loss to the Vikings, adding two receptions for 29 additional yards. 

After hinting at renewed vigor in Week 1, Johnson has looked distressingly similar to his 2019 self in the Texans' stuck-in-neutral offense. He's yet to have an 80-yard day on the ground, has not caught more than three passes in a game and is averaging 3.86 yards per carry. He's on pace for 788 rushing yards and 400 receiving. His pre-season role seemed destined to produce RB2 results regardless of how much juice was left in his legs, but FLEX is looking more and more likely. The Jags are a soft Week 5 matchup. 

Oct 4, 2020, 6:22 PM ET

1 hour ago, zamboni said:

Maybe there's hope with BOB gone.

I think the Texans will play better and all should see some improvement. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zamboni said:

Maybe there's hope with BOB gone.

I don't know how to see it.

A lot of the argument in favor of Johnson was that BOB gave up so much for Johnson that he had to make him work.  Johnson's going to get a ton of volume and they're going to to want him to look like a success.  So that factor is gone.  

On the flip side, maybe a new offense breathes some life into the situation.  

I think you HAVE to hold him at this point.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tough to say, Crennel taking over as interim doesn't inspire fantasy confidence. The schedule does start to open up a little more as the season goes on at the very least. BOB had a frustrating commitment to sticking with the run when it didn't work or when falling behind but also a lack of flexibility to try different things or switch gears when things weren't working. I'd say most likely brighter days ahead but much increased volatility.

Also serious doubts that DJ is retained past this year now, his guaranteed $$ is low next year and obviously a new regime will have no commitment to him. My guess is he signs some sort of cheap 1~2 year extension to lower his cap# and for him to stay as a bridge to the next Texans RB in a few years but that's a long way off.

Edited by Buckna

3 hours ago, Buckna said:

Tough to say, Crennel taking over as interim doesn't inspire fantasy confidence. The schedule does start to open up a little more as the season goes on at the very least. BOB had a frustrating commitment to sticking with the run when it didn't work or when falling behind but also a lack of flexibility to try different things or switch gears when things weren't working. I'd say most likely brighter days ahead but much increased volatility.

Also serious doubts that DJ is retained past this year now, his guaranteed $$ is low next year and obviously a new regime will have no commitment to him. My guess is he signs some sort of cheap 1~2 year extension to lower his cap# and for him to stay as a bridge to the next Texans RB in a few years but that's a long way off.

Yeah.  I bought low in a dynasty league, and now I'm hoping for 1-2 big games and then offering him to every team in the league.

6 hours ago, jm192 said:

I don't know how to see it.

A lot of the argument in favor of Johnson was that BOB gave up so much for Johnson that he had to make him work.  Johnson's going to get a ton of volume and they're going to to want him to look like a success.  So that factor is gone.  

On the flip side, maybe a new offense breathes some life into the situation.  

I think you HAVE to hold him at this point.  

That was a popular argument, but it didn't really come to fruition- he only averaged 15 touches per game, and that was with essentially no other RBs for 1/2 of them.

I'm leaning towards this being a modest positive overall, but it could go either way IMO.

• Like 1

David Johnson rushed 17 times for 96 yards and caught 2-of-4 targets for seven yards in Week 5 against Jacksonville.

Most of Johnson's production came with Houston running down the clock on their final drive, including a 31-yard run. The 5.6 YPC was his highest of the season. This is a step forward for Johnson, but it came against a Jacksonville defense missing multiple starters. Johnson get a matchup with the Titans in Week 6.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

David Johnson rushed 19 times for 57 yards and a touchdown in the Texans' Week 6 loss to the Titans, adding a 12-yard reception. 

Despite Johnson's one-yard score in the third quarter, it was another rough day for the fading vet, who kept getting sent backward at the point of attack. Even with the touchdown, Johnson was stopped four other times inside the Titans' five-yard line. There's just not much left in his 28-year-old legs. He will be a bottom-barrel RB2 for Week 7 against the Packers. 

Oct 18, 2020, 6:23 PM ET