What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pack gonna let Randall Cobb test the market? (1 Viewer)

Steed

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see him getting 10m. Maybe he gets 12m though and if he does, good for him. I don't want the Packers paying that much though. They let Raji test the market last season before resigning him. Maybe they are taking the same approach with Cobb.

If the pack are balking at $9m/yr,that is great news for Adams. However this sounds like information leaked during contract negotiations to lower the price. I kinda doubt he's only asking $9m. I'd expect him to get a nice chunk more if he hits FA.

They drafted two WR's last year, as well as picked up Janis. This WR class may not be as strong at the top, but it's just as deep. When the Pack re-upped Jordy the writing was on the wall. I'm sure they have a pricetag on Cobb and if he doesn't get what he thinks he's worth on the open market he'll circle back, but they have been preparing for this since last May.

It is. You can't pay everybody. Although they just cut AJ Hawk and Brad Jones so they are moving things around a bit. I doubt they are eyeballing a big name Free Agent.

Patience. Deadlines spur actions. Free Agency starts March 10th. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers sign him on the eve of free agency. The Packers almost never let their own good YOUNG players sign elsewhere. Cobb is 24.

Its a bit of a unique year in free agency though. The cap is going up by quite a bit. There are teams that are well under the salary cap floor that have to spend money. Cobb would likely be among the top couple of players to reach UFA if he doesn't sign first. Not much the Packers could do if somebody decided to pay him Mike Wallace money. I think they can pretty easily afford to go to a fair market deal of 8.5-9 million/year. If it gets bigger than that, they are prepared to move on with Adams/Janis/Abbrederis.

There are always leaks like this..notice its a bullet point and not some big drawn out article that lead to all of this talk.

Its a leak by an agent gaining leverage most likely.

As was pointed out on radio today...Chad Clifton once flew to Washington and stayed a night in a hotel there. Never was going to meat with the Redskins...but did it to make it appear he was looking elsewhere to gain leverage.

Do I think its possible he goes elsewhere...sure. He could just want the most money he can get.

Do I think its still most likely he is back in GB? Yes.

Patience. Deadlines spur actions. Free Agency starts March 10th. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers sign him on the eve of free agency. The Packers almost never let their own good YOUNG players sign elsewhere. Cobb is 24.

Its a bit of a unique year in free agency though. The cap is going up by quite a bit. There are teams that are well under the salary cap floor that have to spend money. Cobb would likely be among the top couple of players to reach UFA if he doesn't sign first. Not much the Packers could do if somebody decided to pay him Mike Wallace money. I think they can pretty easily afford to go to a fair market deal of 8.5-9 million/year. If it gets bigger than that, they are prepared to move on with Adams/Janis/Abbrederis.
I tend to agree. I think Cobb is good/offers something unique enough for the Packers to want to keep him. He brings a lot to their offense and is very, very young.

If nothing else, I think greedy fantasy owners should hope he stays because if it comes down to him chasing money, I don't like his fantasy projections nearly as much in JAX, OAK, etc. I wouldn't even like his prospects as well if he went to San Diego or Atlanta. Just not many places not named New England or something where he's going to look more appealing, sans Aaron Rodgers.

As predicted. They will not overpay to keep this guy. They have their #1 in Nelson. If he comes cheap, fine. If not Adams takes his spot, Janis takes Adams spot.

I thank James Jones for the impending Cobb resigning. Cobb has better long term money potential staying in Green Bay 1 more contract.

Sign a 3-4 year contract for 8-9 mil and then leverage a new FA contract for the most money anywhere in the league when he is 27/28/29 years old.

He could easily take the most money now but only 2 teams have sure bet top QBs in 3 years; Packers and Colts. I love Wilson but he still has not shown anything where he is solely leaned on if Lynch leaves.

I thank James Jones for the impending Cobb resigning. Cobb has better long term money potential staying in Green Bay 1 more contract.

Sign a 3-4 year contract for 8-9 mil and then leverage a new FA contract for the most money anywhere in the league when he is 27/28/29 years old.

He could easily take the most money now but only 2 teams have sure bet top QBs in 3 years; Packers and Colts. I love Wilson but he still has not shown anything where he is solely leaned on if Lynch leaves.
I tend to agree with this. You could add Jennings as another guy who left GB and completely disappeared.

On GB's side, I think they have a tough decision as well.

They would still have one of the best offenses in the NFL without Cobb. Maybe that money would be better used at another position of weakness?

Or do they look at the fact that they've lost Jennings, Jones, Finley, and now possibly Cobb in the past few years and they've replaced them with Davante Adams and ....?

I love Cobb but I would rather GB spend that money on Bulaga.

I'd just expect a team with a young qb and not great receivers to go hard after him.

if he hits fa, he'll be able to choose between teams with a young qb and a chance to win the super bowl like Indy, Seattle or Carolina, or go hard after money.

If he signs with the pack before fa it would be obvious that he values continuity and a potential championship more than a couple extra million.

Was there news that I missed?

At this point, with multiple teams lined up to be suitors, I don't why he wouldn't at least wait until FA begins to hear some numbers.

That being said, it would not be surprise me in the least to see him use Raiders/Jags as leverage to get the contract he wants from the Pack.

As far as waiting 3-4 years for getting the huge money, there is never any guarantee that he will be as healthy as he is now.

I tend to agree with this. You could add Jennings as another guy who left GB and completely disappeared.

On GB's side, I think they have a tough decision as well.

They would still have one of the best offenses in the NFL without Cobb. Maybe that money would be better used at another position of weakness?

Or do they look at the fact that they've lost Jennings, Jones, Finley, and now possibly Cobb in the past few years and they've replaced them with Davante Adams and ....?

I love Cobb but I would rather GB spend that money on Bulaga.
They have the money to sign both.

At this point, with multiple teams lined up to be suitors, I don't why he wouldn't at least wait until FA begins to hear some numbers.
What he gets from the Packers will come down to what they are willing to pay, not his market value. He'll have to take less money from the Packers but long-term he could be better off since he could be with Rodgers until they both retire.

The Packers may not pay the highest but they've shown loyalty to their players. Look at Jennings who could be cut by the Vikings having made an average of $9M a year. That's close to what the Packers were offering and he'd still be on the team if he'd stayed with them.

Cobb is one of those guys I think that needs to understand he is what he is because of Rodgers. He's not a great stand alone wr. Sure he could take more money and move somewhere else like KC or OAK and the next 5 years will be nothing but 700 yards and 4 td seasons.

Or he could stay with rodgers and put together a HOF career...

Cobb is one of those guys I think that needs to understand he is what he is because of Rodgers. He's not a great stand alone wr. Sure he could take more money and move somewhere else like KC or OAK and the next 5 years will be nothing but 700 yards and 4 td seasons.

I think the truth about Cobb is somewhere between here and his production last year. He's a very versitile weapon. Lots of teams could scheme him into their offenses. I agree OAK or JAX would be tough but I'm not sold that Cobb is simply a product of Rodgers.

I think the truth about Cobb is somewhere between here and his production last year. He's a very versitile weapon. Lots of teams could scheme him into their offenses.I agree OAK or JAX would be tough but I'm not sold that Cobb is simply a product of Rodgers.
I think Bortles would help Cobb continue to produce, but WR isn't an area of dire need for the Jags. Vet presence might be helpful but they have a talented young group.

Vikings could cut Jennings and save $3M on the cap this year, might as well it now since he's getting paid $9M a year. Cobb even at $10M would be worth it to give Bridgewater a good weapon.

There's more to it than just the dollar amount the day you sign, especially for a young guy like Cobb. His numbers play a huge role for another deal in 4 years or so.

Not to mention, he risks going somewhere ala Decker, putting up half the numbers, and maybe being cut a year or two into the deal.

I realize not all players are like this, but if this is me, I take the nice deal GB will offer (even if a million or so less per year than other teams offer), get a good amount guaranteed, and stay in a far less risk averse situation and make 30 million or more.

There's a packers off-season thread and a 2015 Packers thread where all of this is discussed. We don't need a third just for Cobb.

Don't believe anything until the first day of free agency.

You're way underselling him here.

There's a packers off-season thread and a 2015 Packers thread where all of this is discussed. We don't need a third just for Cobb.

Don't believe anything until the first day of free agency.
Why not? I don't want to read through a bunch of crap from Pack homers.

Luck is so young and so good. I'd go there if I could and they had an opening.
According to some in here, he has no chance of success unless he's with Rodgers.
I don't think he would approach 12 TDs in any of the realistic landing spots outside of Green Bay. He's almost definitely not going to average 10 Yards per Target anywhere else.

However, if another team pays him $10M a year, he has a great chance at getting more than the 127 targets he had last year in GB. Jacksonville for example gave Allen Robinson 72 targets over his final 8 games (pace of 144). Kelvin Benjamin had 145 as a rookie in Carolina. So even if he drops to 8 or 9 YPT, he could still easily put up 1200+ yards if he gets 140 targets.

Depending upon landing spot (non-GB), I still think you are potentially looking at a 90-1,200-7 type of WR even in a poor offense. The 700 yard 4 TD projections are way too low.

flapgreen said:
Bri said:
According to some in here, he has no chance of success unless he's with Rodgers.
Here's the thing, the colts have hilton who is similar to cobb and I suspect (and I could be way wrong on this) with the contract luck is due they probably aren't jumping out of there seats to give cobb 12 million a year.

The teams that will overpay for cobb are going to be the bad teams. He is on my dynasty team, I am a GB fan, I just don't think Cobb is all that without a really good qb. He's a fine wr there is no doubt but I think he suffers huge without rodgers/luck/manning throwing him the ball. He lands on any of those teams and he can have a phenomenal career otherwise I suspect he will quietly fade into oblivion not unlike greg jennings (not that I am comparing the skills just that often a great qb will bad a wrs stats).

flapgreen said:
Bri said:
Here's the thing, the colts have hilton who is similar to cobb and I suspect (and I could be way wrong on this) with the contract luck is due they probably aren't jumping out of there seats to give cobb 12 million a year.

The teams that will overpay for cobb are going to be the bad teams. He is on my dynasty team, I am a GB fan, I just don't think Cobb is all that without a really good qb. He's a fine wr there is no doubt but I think he suffers huge without rodgers/luck/manning throwing him the ball. He lands on any of those teams and he can have a phenomenal career otherwise I suspect he will quietly fade into oblivion not unlike greg jennings (not that I am comparing the skills just that often a great qb will bad a wrs stats).
i feel the same way about emmanuel sanders. Once mannings out of the picture how would he fare as the #2 on the team or a #1 on a different team. I hope gb can keep cobb for a few more years

flapgreen said:
Bri said:

That's a fair point re-Hilton, but the times Hillton seems to have 20 catches in a quarter and the TEs can't get open, I do wish for another weapon for Luck. I think it's abnormal? unusual? to have two 1000 yard WRs but it'd be quite possible with Hilton and Cobb.

Cobb is blessed with whatever "nails" clutch quality few WRs have. That can't be over-stated. Largent, Chrebet, and Welker (there's some more) seemed to have 80% of their catches on third downs to move the chains and many of those times it seemed they wouldn't make the play. Cobb has this "it" factor.

I too have my reservations about any WR under 6 feet tall. Harry Douglas is 6 feet but he plays small. He had some fantastic games in 2014. In my opinion, despite that one could probably post similar weekly stats between Cobb and Douglas, Cobb is an eons better free agent prospect. That "it" factor pushes him way past Douglas IMO.

Bad teams-if you put him opposite the giant rook in Tampa...oh I think he'd do just fine and they'd compliment each other fine. If you put him opposite Kendall Wright, I'm afraid there'd be too many 6 yard passes and ...don't like the two small WRs set. He's reasonably young with an awesome attitude and work ethic so I'm gonna say he'd be much appreciated in Jax. Cleveland is where no WR ever has continued success, so I wouldn't predict success there. I think we'd have to discuss it team by team.

I am a big Cobb fan. Cobb was a fine college QB and RB. I have never ever seen anyone that can look like a QB and look like a RB and look like a WR so effortlessly. When we have trick NFL plays, RBs and WRs that pass don't look like a QB. It's very hard to word. Cobb has extremely high football intelligence and understanding.

A new team may use him differently. Bellichick took his then best WR and had him play some CB. One of the WRs he drafted plays Safety. I put nothing past this player as being possible as a fill-in besides playing WR. The Pats have Edelman and Amendola and zero need for Cobb. Still I would be excited and oh so curious if somehow the Pats landed him. A million years ago, Parcells had plays with Hostetler at WR and others at QB. Cowher too with Kordell Stewart. A new team could envision Cobb in a different way than the Packers. Rodgers is awesome, Cobb wasn't playing any QB and Rodgers wasn't even coming out much really for some gimmick play either. It might seem different with a lesser QB. Parcells and Cowher(and probably more I can't think of) proved pretty well that defenses have a hard time adjusting in 10-15 seconds if a different player is QB. FWIW Each of them also ran with this backup QB handing it off, the shift just opens things up and put a LB and/or Safety out of position. It's not necessarily Cobb throwing some 60 yard bomb like a fairy-tale, it's more about getting a better matchup

flapgreen said:
Bri said:

i feel the same way about emmanuel sanders. Once mannings out of the picture how would he fare as the #2 on the team or a #1 on a different team. I hope gb can keep cobb for a few more years
Isn't that because of Sanders play before he was on Denver though?

King of the Jungle said:
cstu said:
Vikings could cut Jennings and save $3M on the cap this year, might as well it now since he's getting paid $9M a year. Cobb even at $10M would be worth it to give Bridgewater a good weapon.
Cobb won't make the same error Jennings did.
It wouldn't be the same error.

King of the Jungle said:
cstu said:
What exactly was Jennings' error?

I think the Packers will re-sign Cobb in a last minute deal for 5 years and about $46 mil in total money. Signing bonus in the $12 mil range with base salaries increasing each year and topping off around $11 mil in 2019.

Adams does show a lot of potential, but he and Cobb play different roles. Keeping Cobb is a must IMO, and this will ensure the Packers have their QB and top WRs locked up through 2018 (Rodgers 2019). Thompson's contract is believed to end after the 2018 season too, and he'll be 66 then.

I think the Packers will re-sign Cobb in a last minute deal for 5 years and about $46 mil in total money. Signing bonus in the $12 mil range with base salaries increasing each year and topping off around $11 mil in 2019.

Adams does show a lot of potential, but he and Cobb play different roles. Keeping Cobb is a must IMO, and this will ensure the Packers have their QB and top WRs locked up through 2018 (Rodgers 2019). Thompson's contract is believed to end after the 2018 season too, and he'll be 66 then.
Seems very much in line with a reasonable outcome. Completely agree. Cobb isn't going anywhere else.

King of the Jungle said:
cstu said:
What exactly was Jennings' error?
Turning down a bigger contract to stay with a contending team with a top QB to go to Minny for less money and be on a crappy team without a top QB?

Users who are viewing this thread