What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Jaguars WR Devin Smith (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
T-Minus 63 Days: The Combines Myth Busters

Excerpt:

More than 330 players participated last week in Indianapolis, and each of them came in with something to prove. Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith knew he would run a good 40, and everyone expected the former NCAA sprinter and high jumper to post excellent measurables. But what no one expected, and what Smith was pining for, was positive reviews for his route-running.

Primarily a deep ball threat at Ohio State, with big-armed Cardale Jones finding him downfield consistently late in the season, Smith disappeared in some games (during one three-game stretch last season he caught four passes total). The conventional wisdom in the scouting community was that Smith was a one-trick pony with questionable intermediate route-running. Thus, Smith spent the better part of his combine prep fine-tuning his cuts at EXOS in San Diego. Rather than take a break after winning a national championship and participating in the Senior Bowl, he bypassed a chance to spend some time at home in Akron and began training immediately.

I wanted to work on the slants, the ins, the outs, curls, Smith says. Everybody knows I can go deep. Ive displayed that throughout my whole career. It kind of frustrates me when people say thats all I can do because I know I can run all the other routes. I ran them all in high school and college.

And he ran them all in Indianapolis, to positive reviews. He caught almost everything, too. Said one NFC scout: He looks like your classic guy who was hamstrung in a system and got pegged, when in reality he can do a lot.

Sixteen teams interviewed Smith, projected as a second-round pick. Educated guess: The Raiders, Rams, Chiefs and Ravens will be in the Smith market come April.

Said Smith: I just feel like, with the offense we were in, were just gonna run the go because were so good at it. Weve got a big-armed quarterback so we used that to our advantage and did it a little more than other teams.

A lot more. More than half of Smiths catches in 2014 went for 25 yards or more. In addition, Smith lined up as a gunner on the punt team, and didnt realize it was a big deal to have the best receiver playing special teams until Urban Meyer pulled him aside after the Wisconsin game junior year and congratulated him on a punt team stop inside the opponents 10-yard line.

He called it solving the mystery, Smith says. He saw not just my play grow but everybodys play grow.

Smith was uniquely capable for all that running. He starred on the Buckeyes track team up until his junior year, never taking more than three days off between seasons. After the Orange Bowl in early 2014, Smith would wake up for 6 a.m. football workouts, then class, then track workouts in the early evening. The last time he took a week off of running?

Probably sixth grade.

Such was his reputation for speed that his 4.42 40-yard dash disappointed some, including one AFC scout I spoke with: He ran just O.K. for a legitimate deep threat. He was expected to be much faster.

Its the combine. Everyones a critic.

Last edited by a moderator:
2015 NFL Scouting Combine notebook: Ohio State wide receiver Devin Smith on track in workout, top quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota duelExcerpt:

INDIANAPOLIS: Akron native Devin Smith didn’t achieve his goal in the 40-yard dash Saturday at the NFL Scouting Combine, but the standout wide receiver from Ohio State didn’t take a step back, either.

Smith had been posting times in the low 4.4-second range as he prepared for this weekend. Although he hoped to sprint his way to a time of 4.3, his official 4.42 still ranked seventh among all receivers at this year’s combine.

“Speed is obviously a key point in releasing from the line,” said Smith, who attended Ellet High School and graduated from Massillon High School. “You don’t want to spend too much time at the line, especially if you have an aggressive corner who’s trying to jam you. It’s all about using your hands to get the defender off of you and you use your speed as well. It’s very important to be physical as well as being fast.”

Smith has demonstrated a knack for blowing by defenders. As a senior, he averaged 28.2 yards per reception, and 54.5 percent of his catches resulted in gains of 25 yards or more.

“I’ll tell you what he does better than any wide receiver I’ve seen in several years is he tracks the deep ball,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “And if you look at his average per catch at 28, [he’s a] big-play guy. Defensive backs were literally lining up 7 yards off and turning and running they were so worried about getting beat deep, and he still beat them deep. He tracks the deep ball. There’s value to that.”

The Browns are among the receiver-needy teams that could use a big-play threat like Smith. Owner Jimmy Haslam watched Saturday’s on-field workouts alongside coach Mike Pettine in a suite at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The Browns have two first-round picks (Nos. 12 and 19 overall) and the 11th choice in the second round (43rd overall).

Mayock predicts Smith will become a second-round pick. Smith, though, is hoping for better.

“I’m hoping I go first round,” said Smith, who caught 33 passes for 931 yards and 12 touchdowns last season as the Buckeyes made their national title run. “Just being in this position, to be here at the combine and getting your name picked, it’s all a blessing to me. Wherever I get picked, whatever round, I’ll make the best of it.”

Smith also placed seventh among receivers in the vertical jump (39 inches). He bench pressed 225 pounds 10 times and broad jumped 10 feet, 2 inches,

Rotoworld:

Ohio State WR Devin Smith's disappointing 40 time on Saturday was a result of a sluggish first 10 yards, reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

Smith, expected to finish with a time in the 4.3s or even 4.2s, ran forty times of 4.42 and 4.47 at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I spoke with people from Smith’s camp who told me the problem was all in the initial ten yards," Pauline wrote. "Throughout combine training Smith had been clocking 1.45-seconds in his ten time but yesterday for some reason he ran 1.55’s. The one-tenth difference kept Smith out of the 4.3’s. It’ll be interesting to see what happens during the Buckeyes pro-day." The slower-than-expected time could keep Smith, a burner, out of the first round.

Feb 22 - 8:36 PM
Source: TFY Draft Insider
Ohio State WR Devin Smith is a "smooth speed merchant with instant gas off the line," wrote NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.
"Electrifying foot quickness," Zierlein wrote. "Game-breaking speed with necessary feel of a downfield receiver. ... Smith isn't just combine-fast, he's game-fast and he would have had more than 12 touchdown catches during the 2014 season if he didn't have to slow down and wait on throws so often." Smith has run a reported 4.33 forty. He was Ohio's high school long jumping champion and also ran a 10.56 100-meter dash. ESPN's Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both have Smith slotted into Round 1 in their mock drafts.

Source: NFL.com
Feb 13 - 2:30 PM
ESPN's Mel Kiper mocked Ohio State senior WR Devin Smith to the Chiefs at pick No. 18.
"Everybody knows this is an area where the Chiefs need to upgrade," Kiper wrote. "You can say all you want about Alex Smith's ability to deliver the ball down the field, but he's going to be the QB in 2015; the Chiefs know they can win with him, and they need to give him another weapon. Devin Smith is a guy that probably wasn't utilized as much as he would have been in some other offenses, but he was an often dynamic deep threat for the Buckeyes -- a player who has a knack for the big catch, especially when he has to fight for the ball. He's got good speed, he can stretch the field, and he plays bigger than his listed size on contested balls. The Chiefs could go a few ways here if they simply want to add a weapon, but Devin Smith would make sense." The big-play wideout recorded 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, while leading the leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches. Smith plays like DeSean Jackson, believes NFL Media draft analyst Lance Zierlein.

Source: ESPN Insider
Feb 12 - 12:13 AM
OSU WR Devin Smith is "just unreliable on non-vertical patterns," according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.
"Spending a lot of time on WR Devin Smith today. I understand the appeal, but just unreliable on non-vertical patterns. High ceiling role WR," Brugler tweeted. The big-play wideout recorded 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, while leading the leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches. While some may question other parts of Smith's game, his deep-threat ability may make up for those weaknesses. Brugler noted in another tweet that if you "need a deep threat he fits," but if you're looking for more from Smith, he "won't fit if you want more."

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter
Feb 9 - 4:07 PM
OSU WR Devin Smith was selected by the 49ers with the No. 15 pick in Todd McShay's mock draft.
Consider us floored that Smith's stock continues to rise like this. As with everyone else, we love Smith's deep-ball ability, but his one-dimensional game, it says here, doesn't belong in the opening stanza. "This is early for Smith -- he's our No. 26 overall player -- but the Niners need a receiver who can stretch the field vertically and nobody in college football did that better during the second half of the season than Smith (especially when big-armed Cardale Jones was throwing him the ball)," McShay wrote. "He has excellent speed, subtle moves as a deep route runner that allow him to create separation, and his body control when tracking the deep ball is outstanding. San Francisco could also look to address its O-line or defensive front in the first round."

Feb 5 - 11:07 PM
OSU WR Devin Smith "proved that he could be as effective on shorter passes by breaking off his routes quickly on digs and comebacks [at Senior Bowl] practice," noted The Guardian's Matt Rybaltowski.
"Smith also demonstrated his passion for the game by delivering a massive hit on kickoff coverage on Saturday," Rybaltowski wrote. It was vitally important for Smith to prove that he wasn't a one-trick pony last week, and he did so. Some analysts rate Smith as a first-rounder. He posted 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches.

Source: The Guardian
Jan 26 - 10:23 PM
ESPN's Todd McShay writes that Ohio State senior WR Devin Smith "reminds me of the Ravens' Torrey Smith for his abilities as a deep threat, only he has better ball skills."
"He's at his best on fades, deep posts and post corners," McShay wrote. "He possesses excellent body control and also does a great job tracking the ball vertically. I think Smith is a top-40 pick in this year's draft. I would like to see some improvement from him as an intermediate route runner." McShay's colleague Mel Kiper mocked Smith to the Seahawks at pick No. 32. We love Smith's deep ball ability, but question the optimism, as Smith didn't show much on non-schoolyard routes. He posted 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches.

Jan 21 - 12:21 AM
hio State senior WR Devin Smith's play on special teams "should serve [his stock] well," writes Sports Illustrated's Chris Burke.

The remark is a response to Urban Meyer's quote last week that Smith's draft stock is "soaring" because he's "one of the best gunners in college football." Smith averaged over 28 yards per carry and converted 33 catches into 12 touchdowns, so he obviously brings great additional value as a deep threat. "That special-teams punch can be overlooked in general draft discussions, but it should serve Smith well," Burke wrote. "He is effective as a gunner in large part because of his speed, which is also what will put him on the radar at receiver. Smith is lethal deep and doesn't mind fighting for the football."

Source: Sports Illustrated
Jan 13 - 8:13 PM
CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote that Ohio State senior WR Devin Smith is a "nine route monster with his striding speed to stretch the field, tracking extremely well with the ball skills to finish."
"However, it's the rest of the route tree that is the concern with his next level potential, lacking seasoning as an underneath receiver," Rang wrote. "Smith has sticky hands to make highlight reel grabs and has scored 12 touchdowns in 2014 on only 32 receptions - that's a touchdown every 2.7 catches, best in the NCAA. He is one of the best prospects for the 2015 NFL Draft class when it comes to vertical patterns, but his limitations elsewhere make it tough to feel confident with him as anything more than a No. 3 or 4 NFL receiver." The 6-foot-1, 197-pound Smith entered Monday night with 32 receptions for 886 yards, averaging 27.7 yards per catch.

Source: CBS Sports
Jan 12 - 9:24 PM
NFL.com's Bucky Brooks wrote that Ohio State senior WR Devin Smith "excels at blowing past defenders on vertical routes, yet is also capable of turning short passes into big gains with his explosive running skills."
The analyst passed along that Smith leads Power 5 receivers in receptions (16) and touchdowns (10) on passes 20 yards or longer downfield. Smith will be a handful for Oregon CBs Chris Seisay and Troy Hill to corral on Monday. "Given his impact on the Buckeyes' passing game, the Ducks' cornerbacks must find a way to keep Smith with tight coverage on the perimeter," Brooks wrote. "Without the services of Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, the Ducks will lean on Hill and Seisay to take turns locking up Smith in coverage. Whether it's in man or zone, the Ducks' cornerback tandem must keep the ball and Smith in front of the defense to keep the Buckeyes from lighting up the scoreboard." Smith has posted 32 receptions for 886 yards and 12 touchdowns this season, averaging 27.7 yards per catch.

Source: NFL.com
Jan 11 - 11:04 PM

Maybe I didn't see enough passes, but in the playoffs, it sure didn't seem like Brady has a deep arm anymore. The deflategate interception was badly under thrown. I almost think a "deep" threat would be muted a bit with the Patriots. It seems like Smith might go too early for the Panthers (I'd rather have a T in the 1st, a little soon for Smith IMHO) to get him in the 2nd, but I think Newton's arm seems like a better fit with a WR like Smith. Also, Benjamin isn't really a deep threat, so Smith would fit in well. That said, it seems like he is likely gone before the Panthers can get him).

As a Pats fan I'd love to see us get Smith. This is the wr I thought they might be interested in even before I heard of any reports of him being on their radar. I think if he's gone they go elsewhere than wr, if he's there I think they look long and hard at him.

As a UM fan, it pains me to say it, but..... this kid can play! He is a serious playmaker. Reminds me a bit of a young Steve Smith Sr.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper notes that Ohio State WR Devin Smith "didn't measure as big as he plays" at the combine.
Smith checked in at 6-foot and under 200 pounds. "Smith is plenty fast (4.42) and has down-the-field credentials, where he flat dominated at the catch point last season," Kiper wrote. "If you ran a reel for Smith's best catches, you'd assume he was 6-3." Smith was hoping to run the 40 in the 4.3s. He'll get another chance at Ohio State's pro day.

Feb 28 - 7:00 PM

Devin Smith - WR - Buckeyes

Ohio State WR Devin Smith spent "a lot of time" with the Cleveland Browns last week, reported TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

With Andrew Hawkins, Taylor Gabriel and Brian Hartline sitting atop the WR depth chart, the Browns desperately need fortification on the outside. Smith isn't the go-to receiver they need, but he could turn into a dangerous second banana due to his wheels. At his pro day, Smith didn't run the 40, though he did participate in position drills. Smith announced he worked on his route running and running underneath patterns in order to prove he was more than just a fly route receiver. "I'm told there was just one drop from Smith, but overall, he looked good," Pauline wrote. Smith collected 121 receptions for 2,503 yards (20.7) and 30 scores across his collegiate career, and averaged a ridiculous 28.2 yards per catch (12 touchdowns) on 33 catches in 2014.

Source: Walter Football

Mar 16 - 1:14 AM
Yahoo Sports' Rand Getlin reports that Ohio State WR Devin Smith "has had formal meetings with 18 teams, three since the combine."

While the 6-foot, 200-pound vertical threat gets knocked for not being a complete receiver, his draft stock still remains intact. The Buckeyes' wideout recorded 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches. Anytime you can average 28.2 yards per catch, teams at the next level will take notice. Smith has borderline first to second round potential in this year's draft.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter

Mar 16 - 3:53 PM
An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Ohio State WR Devin Smith is "probably not as fast as (Miami's) Mike Wallace."

"A vertical receiver," the scout said. "That's where he's at his best. Hands are average. Route running was average. But a really good stretch-the-field vertical type." Smith collected 121 receptions for 2,503 yards (20.7) and 30 scores across his collegiate career, and averaged a ridiculous 28.2 yards per catch (12 touchdowns) on 33 catches in 2014. He boasts 4.42 speed.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Mar 1 - 4:00 PM
ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes Ohio State WR Devin Smith is an ideal Round 1 fit for the Eagles.

The Eagles, of course, are looking for a starter after the departure of Jeremy Maclin to Kansas City. Philadelphia picks No. 20. "[smith] is an elite downfield threat and his best fit is with a vertical passing team, he is a more well-rounded receiver than he's given credit for, and he flashes the ability to ruin pursuit angles when he catches a seam as a runner," Weidl wrote. "Philly may be better suited to wait until the second or third rounds to land a receiver, as this class has good depth at the position, but Smith is an intriguing option at No. 20." The 6-foot, 200-pound vertical threat runs a 4.4 forty.

Mar 25 - 8:37 PM

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Buckeyes

Football Outsiders' Playmaker Score grades Ohio State WR Devin Smith as the No. 6 receiver.

"Smith had only 33 receptions as a junior. However, when he caught the ball, he made big plays, averaging 20.7 yards per reception and scoring a touchdown on more than a third of his passes," wrote FO's Nathan Forster. The Playmaker model compared Smith as a prospect to Mike Wallace and Javon Walker. Scouts Inc. ranks Smith as the No. 25 overall prospect in the class. The 6-foot, 200-pound vertical threat runs a 4.4 forty.

Mar 29 - 11:20 PM

Anyone know his date of birth?

No biggie, but I'm trying to compile rankings/info, and I can't find it.

According to this Smith was born 8/8/1990 which would make him 24 years old entering the draft but 25 years old during his first season. (sorry it's not April fools anymore, that is a defensive back.)

Which could be a big deal to some folks.

Until I looked this up just now I thought he was a 23 year old rookie. Still not sure on the accuracy of this. However I did notice on his twitter feed a timeline of 1990-2015.

I am pretty sure he is 23 years old but I couldn't find the exact birth date anywhere.

According to this Smith was born 8/8/1990 which would make him 24 years old entering the draft but 25 years old during his first season.

Until I looked this up just now I thought he was a 23 year old rookie. Still not sure on the accuracy of this. However I did notice on his twitter feed a timeline of 1990-2015.
That's a different Devin Smith.

I haven't found OSU WR Devin Smith's birthdate anywhere either. Also missing Phillip Dorsett.

According to this Smith was born 8/8/1990 which would make him 24 years old entering the draft but 25 years old during his first season. (sorry it's not April fools anymore, that is a defensive back.)

I am pretty sure he is 23 years old but I couldn't find the exact birth date anywhere.
That is a DB from Wisconsin, not the Ohio State WR.

According to this Smith was born 8/8/1990 which would make him 24 years old entering the draft but 25 years old during his first season.

I haven't found OSU WR Devin Smith's birthdate anywhere either. Also missing Phillip Dorsett.
I have Devin Smith's DOB as 3/3/92, but I'm not sure where I got it now. Could be his Twitter feed or a newspaper story or something like that.

SI 64: Nos. 44–40: Jaelen Strong, Jalen Collins, Ameer Abdullah, more

Excerpt:

43. Devin Smith, WR, Ohio StateBio: As a senior on Ohio State’s national championship-winning team, Smith posted 931 yards receiving and 12 touchdowns … on just 33 catches. The math on that works out to a mind-blowing 28.2 yards per catch and a touchdown every 2.75 times he hauled in a pass. For his career Smith averaged 20.1 yards on 121 catches, finishing with 2,501 total yards receiving and scoring 30 times. He was an Honorable Mention All-Big Ten member in 2014. Smith returned kicks and punts during his first two Ohio State seasons.

Strengths: Will be tabbed by some as a “speed” receiver, but it’s actually what he does once he gets downfield that separates him in this class. Simply incredible when the ball is in the air, tracking it about as well as you’ll see from a college receiver. Able to get win the position battles with cornerbacks and safeties, too, so those deep passes find their home. Adjusts to underthrown passes when necessary. Also goes up and finds the football in the air, leaping and high-pointing it. Explodes in and out of breaks at times, perhaps hinting that he could become a dangerous intermediate weapon if he refines his approach. Has a chance to be one of those receivers that drives cornerbacks (and opposing fans) nuts wit the number of penalties he draws. Remember, NCAA rules permit defenders to keep their hands on receivers until the ball is in the air. Without the benefit of that cushion, Smith more easily will find his way deep and he has the know-how to create contact. Never missed a game in college.

Weaknesses: Everything about his game on plays closer to the line of scrimmage needs more consistency. Route-running could become a real plus but it’s middle-of-the-road right now—rounds some off, doesn’t always hit the gas when headed inside, etc. Will have to get better at reading defenses to become more than just a deep threat; it won’t always work to just go long. Is less of a sure thing catching the football on short and intermediate routes than when he has to go get it downfield, but might just be a timing thing and letting the ball get too close to his body when he’s working back toward the line. To be a top-two receiver on a team, he’ll have to show more interest in blocking. Otherwise, he will be relegated mostly to three-receiver sets and passing downs. Decent size but nothing more. Physical cornerbacks will succeed at frustrating him on occasion.

Conclusion: There might not be a player in this draft class as dominant in one specific area as Smith is at winning on the deep ball. NFL defenses will have to account for him whenever he sets foot on the field. Whether or not he can package that skill with a more complete game remains to be seen. Improvement in his routes and a better awareness for the coverage he is facing—both very teachable areas—would skyrocket Smith's upside. For a team with a very specific need for a home-run threat, he's still worth Round 1 consideration now.

Pro Comparison: Torrey Smith, 49ers (Round 2, Ravens, 2011)

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reports that the Dallas Cowboys had Ohio State WR Devin Smith in for an official visit on Thursday.
The 6-foot, 200-pound vertical threat could be a nice fit for the Cowboys offense, across the way from WR Dez Bryant. If the the Cowboys are looking for a wideout who can stretch the field and open things up for Romo, Smith could make sense. The Ohio state prospect posted 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches.

Apr 9 - 2:08 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler reports that the Dallas Cowboys had Ohio State WR Devin Smith in for an official visit on Thursday.
The 6-foot, 200-pound vertical threat could be a nice fit for the Cowboys offense, across the way from WR Dez Bryant. If the the Cowboys are looking for a wideout who can stretch the field and open things up for Romo, Smith could make sense. The Ohio state prospect posted 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches.

Apr 9 - 2:08 PM
Who is Terrance Williams for $500?

Also the Cowboys re-signed Cole Beasley.

Rotoworld:

Ohio State WR Devin Smith "was the best downfield receiver in all of college football last season," according to ESPN's Todd McShay.
"He has sprinter's speed (4.42 40-yard dash) with great burst off the line and a second gear to out-run defensive backs, he uses subtle head and shoulder fakes to help gain separation, he excels at tracking the deep ball and he has impressive body control to shield himself from defenders and come down with the catch," McShay wrote. The 6-foot, 200-pound vertical threat posted 12 touchdowns on 33 receptions in 2014, leading the NCAA with a score every 2.75 catches.

Apr 14 - 5:16 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State WR Devin Smith "is unproven as a route-runner" outside of fly routes, according to NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney.
Smith's collegiate stats more or less back up the assertion. He had 121 catches for 2,503 yards -- averaging 20.7 yards per catch -- and 30 touchdowns. Cooney's colleague Dane Brugler agrees, saying that Smith is a "frustrating prospect because he shows the striding speed to stretch the field, but (has) inconsistent tracking skills, which makes him late to adjust and leads to focus drops. Aside from go routes downfield, he is unproven as a route-runner. His speed is mostly straight-line and his lean frame looks near maxed out." Smith posted a 4.42 forty at the combine (it was in the mid 4.3s on hand-held watches). "Smith has speed to kill and if he can learn to use it consistently he will murder some defenses," Cooney wrote.

Apr 18 - 3:38 PM

Rotoworld:

The theory that Ohio State WR Devin Smith can do nothing but run fast is flawed, according CBS Sports' Pete Prisco.

"There is a perception that he is just a speed guy, which isn't true," Prisco wrote. "Yes, he can fly. And that's a big plus. But he's tough and I think he will develop into a solid No. 2 receiver for a team. Speed can't be taught." Amongst those disagreeing is NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney, who recently wrote that Smith "is unproven as a route-runner" outside of fly routes.

Apr 21 - 8:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Ohio State WR Devin Smith visited the the Cowboys, Dolphins, 49ers, Saints and Panthers, according to Aaron Wilson.

All of these names are fascinating, especially the Panthers and Cowboys at the end of round one. We doubt Smith ends up in the first round unless it is with the Baltimore Ravens, but Smith won't be waiting long in the second round. Smith is a role player right now, purely a vertical threat who succeeds at the catch point. But the question is if he can expand his game beyond that.

Source: National Football Post
Apr 24 - 1:28 PM

I prefer Phillip Dorsett in that range, personally. But I think Smith is getting overlooked a little. The kind of WR I'd only draft in fantasy if he gets paired with a stud QB, though.

I prefer Phillip Dorsett in that range, personally. But I think Smith is getting overlooked a little. The kind of WR I'd only draft in fantasy if he gets paired with a stud QB, though.
Both are going o be team/QB/scheme dependent IMO. Dorsett is intriguing because of how explosive he is but Smith is just better at playing the ball and his deep tracking skills are elite... AJ Green like.

Personally, tracking the ball is one of the more vital aspects to me, and most overlooked by many, so I like Smith more.

CBS Sports has Devin Smith as 3/3/1992 (23 years old), Phillip Dorsett is 1/5/1993 (22 years old)

I have t watched him play much, but sounds a bit like DeSean Jackson. Great speed and deep ball tracking skills....is that a fair comp or no?

osubuckeyeman said:
Should go tonight, but where?
Can he last to 2.13 & the Saints?
Some WR to the Saints today is likely a good guess, but the "who" puzzles. If Cooks role figures to expand...and that is my guess...a "big" WR may be the better call (Green-Beckham?).
i would be shocked if it is DGB. they have been stressing character, IQ and effort in the offseason. DGB seems to be lacking these qualities in recent years.

Smith could be interesting with the Saints. There have been speed merchants like Henderson and Stallworth in that role before with Brees to target downfield.

I have t watched him play much, but sounds a bit like DeSean Jackson. Great speed and deep ball tracking skills....is that a fair comp or no?
Looks much more physical to me. Should have been used more on shorter routes than he was.

He's very similar in talent to Agholor but I think he's better at catching contested balls.

Titans taking him with the next pick won't surprise me.

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Jets selected Ohio State WR Devin Smith with the No. 37 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Smith (6'0/196) was a prolific deep threat for the Buckeyes, turning 121 career catches into 2,503 yards (20.7 YPR!) and 30 TDs. Although Smith ran 4.42 at the Combine, he plays faster on tape with an ability to accelerate and "go get" vertical bombs. In the words of Mike Mayock, Smith "tracks the deep ball as well as any college wide receiver I've seen in years." Smith's flaws are his thin frame and tendency to body catch, although he only dropped two passes as a senior. Smith may never be a high-volume NFL receiver, but he's ready to lift the lid and tilt coverage, opening up the field for teammates. The question is if Smith can expand his route tree or stay as a downfield role player, which is not a negative.

May 1 - 7:32 PM

Users who are viewing this thread