What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Jaguars WR Devin Smith (1 Viewer)

Honestly, I can see him beating out Decker for significant snaps. Guy is pretty darn good at stretching the field.

He turns 25 in the preseason. So he'll be 28 by the time either Petty develops or the Jets get somebody decent to play QB.
What? Petty is a long-shot developmental QB. If Geno fails this year (I'm sure he will), they'll be in the market for a QB next year regardless of Petty.

Honestly, I can see him beating out Decker for significant snaps. Guy is pretty darn good at stretching the field.
No you can't, or if you can you haven't watched Decker much. Smith will be used to take the top off the defense so that Marshall and Decker can eat teams up underneath. Like MAC said, I don't see Smith being a great fantasy asset - at least right away - as he'll be a field stretcher who will pop off for big games now and then when he connects on the deep ball but he's not going to see heavy targets.

Was able to get Smith with the 20th rookie pick. Surprised he slid that far. Lot of middling RBs going in front of him.

No you can't, or if you can you haven't watched Decker much. Smith will be used to take the top off the defense so that Marshall and Decker can eat teams up underneath. Like MAC said, I don't see Smith being a great fantasy asset - at least right away - as he'll be a field stretcher who will pop off for big games now and then when he connects on the deep ball but he's not going to see heavy targets.
This. Smith and Decker are two totally different wrs. And Decker is way better than most give him credit for.

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini believes rookie WR Devin Smith could steal snaps from Jeremy Kerley.

New Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said he was "excited" for Kerley to have a bigger offensive role in early April, but then used a second-round pick on the speedy Smith. New OC Chan Gailey should use enough four-wide sets for both to have a role, but Smith offers the explosive play ability the offense lacks last season. Both players will struggle to find fantasy relevance as long as Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall are healthy.

Related: Jeremy Kerley

Source: ESPN.com

May 16 - 11:56 AM

He turns 25 in the preseason. So he'll be 28 by the time either Petty develops or the Jets get somebody decent to play QB.
Huh? he turned 23 in March of this year.

https://twitter.com/dsmithosu/status/572835743338500096
MFL database has his DOB as 8/8/90.
We should let Smith know he doesn't know his own birthday.
No worries, I'll have Cameron Artis-Payne sort it out with him

Who drafted him in dynasty and with what pick? Who did you pass on to select him?
3.5 in FFPC (12 team FA/Rookie draft with 3 veterans ahead of him, so 3.2 equivalent). Next rookie WRs off the board were Justin Hardy and Tre McBride.

Basically, this guy is getting zero respect. I don't have high hopes, but just think his draft position dictates taking a shot where he is often going in drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who drafted him in dynasty and with what pick? Who did you pass on to select him?
3.5 in FFPC (12 team FA/Rookie draft with 3 veterans ahead of him, so 3.2 equivalent). Next rookie WRs off the board were Justin Hardy and Tre McBride.

Basically, this guy is getting zero respect. I don't have high hopes, but just think his draft position dictates taking a shot where he is often going in drafts.
I drafted him at 3.05 in a recent rookie draft as well. I have seen him go as high as the mid-2nd. The only reason I grabbed him was value. I am not looking to take him anywhere, but in the mid-3rd he is hard to ignore.

Not someone I was really looking to draft but he's ended up on 3 out of 4 of my teams so far. Just crazy how he can fall so far in fantasy drafts when he's an early 2nd round pick. The way I see it Marshall or Decker could be gone by next year and they could have a new qb as well. Patience.

Not someone I was really looking to draft but he's ended up on 3 out of 4 of my teams so far. Just crazy how he can fall so far in fantasy drafts when he's an early 2nd round pick. The way I see it Marshall or Decker could be gone by next year and they could have a new qb as well. Patience.
This was my only solace after he fell to me in a recent draft and i had no choice but to take him. I will be very surprised if he is a factor this year with so many thjngs going against him, but in 2-3 years they could end up with a servicable qb and he could end up being very solid.

I understand who his QB is for 2015 but I can't, for the life of me, understand why in a dynasty draft people are letting this kid slip. I just got him in the middle of the 3rd round (29th pick) which to me is insane. Perhaps he *is* the one trick deep threat, but how many other 3rd rounders have that ability? You're usually picking backup slot receivers here...

Albert Breer

@AlbertBreer

Jets WR Devin Smith looking at a 4-6 week timetable to return from his broken ribs. Status for opener on 9/13 is iffy at this point.

7:27 AM - 1 Aug 2015

He's about to go undrafted in our rookie/free agent draft finishing up right now. His injury plus his poor landing spot have made him invisible.

Devin was inexplicably just dropped before the game yesterday by a rebuilding owner (for Bobby Rainey of all people). I scooped him immediately as he didn't need to pass through waivers. I dumped Dobson for him, glad I did. All I really knew about him was that he was an early second round NFL pick. Good enough for me.

Aaron Dobson was also a 2nd round pick in 2013. Now in his third season. Lafell is injured opening up more opportunity for Dobson than I see Smith getting while still recovering from injury and with better WR ahead of him on the depth chart than Dobson faces.

I wouldn't be expecting Smith to break out until later in the season if he does at all in 2015. He seems like a safer player on the wire than Dobson is, as Dobson could put up some numbers sooner and perhaps be someone you could trade over the next few weeks if he does, while Smith is currently listed as a 3rd string WR behind Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, and Kerley.

Chris Owusu is their listed kick returner with Zac Stacy and Kerley as their punt returner, so he is behind Owusu on the depth chart as well.

In the long run I Smith is the better talent and the player I would prefer to have. But in the short run I don't see Smith being a more valuable asset than Dobson.

Heard Todd Bowles press conference the other day where WR Devin Smith was mentioned coming back and how much could be expected from him.

He answered in a way that appeared to throw cold water on any lofty expectations. Todd was cautious and seemed to hint he would ease him in. He also mentioned their were guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

-------------------

WR: Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Devin Smith, Quincy Enunwa, Chris Owusu

-------------------

dom cosentino@domcosentino Sep 11

Bowles said Devin Smith practiced in full and would likely be probable on the injury report, but he doubts he'll play. #Jets

I like him as a dynasty stash but he needs to get up to the active roster soon.

He's inactive today.

-----------

New York Jets@nyjets 21m21 minutes ago

Our inactives for #CLEvsNYJ: QB Geno Smith WR Devin Smith CB Dexter McDougle RB Zac Stacy OL Jarvis Harrison OL Ben Ijalana DL Deon Simon

Rookie WR Devin Smith was inactive once again but WR Eric Decker got injured and has an MRI scheduled.

My speculation, the rookie has had a lot of time to recovery from his injury and with Decker hurt it could open the door for him to see his first action.

---------------

. Manish Mehta Verified account @MMehtaNYDN 6h6 hours ago

Injury Update: Jets WR Eric Decker said he was told his knee injury won't require surgery. Believes it's a PCL issue. MRI today. #nyj

EDIT update: Decker could be out for two to three weeks.

.Manish Mehta@MMehtaNYDN 6h6 hours ago

As a frame of reference, Cards RB Andre Ellington's mild PCL sprain has 2-3 wk recovery timetable. Decker: "I'm going to be smart about it"

Last edited by a moderator:
.Basic Brian@BPassafume 14h14 hours ago

@MattHarmon_BYB Is Devin Smith someone worth stashing in any formats?

.Matt Harmon@MattHarmon_BYB 14h14 hours ago

Matt Harmon retweeted Basic Brian

Absolutely in dynasty, was a personal favorite. Just a monitor type in seasonal.

-------------------

Rookie WR Devin Smith had his first full practice yesterday (Smith (ribs) practiced in full Wednesday, ESPN.com reports)

WR Eric Decker is OUT (he left with a PCL injury. It won't require surgery, but will likely sideline him for multiple weeks.)

Backup WR Chris Owusu also listed OUT. (New York Jets WR Chris Owusu (knee) received a knee scope Wednesday, Sept. 23, and will miss a week or two, according to head coach Todd Bowles.​)

Smith is a dynasty stash as Harmon notes but 'its possible' that he could get a shot sooner than expected due to injuries.

I want to pick up either Owusu or Smith. Looking towards next year, really. Any insight on Owusu? I'm hearing a little buzz here and there about him.

Had to drop him in dynasty a couple of weeks ago to make a necessary move but managed to ban him off the WW this week. I'm intrigued by his sudden opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread