What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Jaguars WR Devin Smith (1 Viewer)

Watching the game the other day it definitely seemed the NYJ offense needed someone to stretch the field. Though you are all right Fitzpatrick doesn't have much arm strength.

But Smith has an amazing Yards/Reception ability.

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Devin Smith caught 3-of-9 targets for 39 yards in the Jets' Week 3 loss to the Eagles.

One of his targets was intercepted by Eagles rookie DB Eric Rowe. Making his NFL debut after a preseason rib injury cost Smith the first two games of the season, the second-round pick was ineffective as a perimeter route runner against the Eagles. Smith won't be a fantasy option against the Dolphins in Week 4, even if Eric Decker (PCL) remains sidelined.

Sep 27 - 4:57 PM

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Devin Smith caught 3-of-9 targets for 39 yards in the Jets' Week 3 loss to the Eagles.

One of his targets was intercepted by Eagles rookie DB Eric Rowe. Making his NFL debut after a preseason rib injury cost Smith the first two games of the season, the second-round pick was ineffective as a perimeter route runner against the Eagles. Smith won't be a fantasy option against the Dolphins in Week 4, even if Eric Decker (PCL) remains sidelined.

Somebody didn't watch the game or understand what he/she was watching. With decent passes, Smith would have had two touchdowns. Fitzpatrick threw a pass behind Smith who was wide open in end zone. Later, Smith beat a cornerback on a go route and Fitzpatrick threw too short which enabled the cornerback to pick it off.

Smith is worthy of a fantasy roster spot. He is an injury or bye week fill-in, though.

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Somebody didn't watch the game or understand what he/she was watching. With decent passes, Smith would have had two touchdowns. Fitzpatrick threw a pass behind Smith who was wide open in end zone. Later, Smith beat a cornerback on a go route and Fitzpatrick threw too short which enabled the cornerback to pick it off.

Smith is worthy of a fantasy roster spot. He is an injury or bye week fill-in, though.
Thanks for this information. I won't get to see the game until GamePass releases it. Also, I really like RotoWorld for its timely news and truly appreciate Faust for all of his excellent work here at FBGs, but I am really reluctant to put any faith into RW's "analysis". Your point here just furthers that opinion.

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Had Smith in FD and it really killed me he didn't get either of those TDs. He was getting open and is a legit NFL WR as long as Decker is out.

KZalew@KZalew 15h15 hours ago

@MattHarmon_BYB He was getting open and the problem was the Ivy Leaguer right?

Matt Harmon@MattHarmon_BYB 15h15 hours ago

Matt Harmon Retweeted KZalew

Just took some glimpses from the film this morning, but Smith looks good. Big plays will happen.

-----------------------

Matt Harmon@MattHarmon_BYB 15h15 hours ago

Devin Smith played 83% of the #Jets Week 3 snaps, saw 9 targets. Here's his #ReceptionPerception eval from Ohio State

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-devin-smith-and-the-value-of-a-trump-card-fbg.html

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith - WR - Jets

Had Smith in FD and it really killed me he didn't get either of those TDs. He was getting open and is a legit NFL WR as long as Decker is out.
Liked the targets in the end zone even if they didn't work. Strange to think that there are too many mouths to feed in NYJ, but once Decker is back, I don't expect much from Smith. Dynasty is a different story altogether thought...

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000546656/article/thomas-rawls-leads-10-week-4-fantasy-sleeper-plays

Thomas Rawls leads 10 Week 4 fantasy sleeper plays​

... Looking ahead to this weekend's action, there are 10 sleepers I like to outperform what the masses expect from them in Week 4.​

Devin Smith, WR, New York Jets

The Jets' second round pick missed most of the offseason with rib injuries, and those long absences usually lead to a lost rookie season. However, in his first available action for New York, Devin Smith was named the starter in place of the injured Eric Decker. He went on to play 83 percent of the team's snaps, and saw nine targets against the Eagles. It was a pretty surprising workload for Smith, but the Jets trusted him enough to ask it. Ryan Fitzpatrick was unable to hit him though, as he only caught 33.3 percent of his targets, but Smith was getting open and running deep effortlessly.

Decker is no lock to play in Week 4, and that could mean more opportunities for Smith. If so, he has an excellent chance to make good on his targets this time around. The Dolphins give up 7.9 yards per pass play, and have been torched by wide receivers, allowing the seventh most fantasy points to wide receivers per quarterback pass attempt. It's a longshot play, but Devin Smith (28.2 yards per catch in 2014 at Ohio State) has the ability to get deep and break a week-winning play.

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000546656/article/thomas-rawls-leads-10-week-4-fantasy-sleeper-plays

Thomas Rawls leads 10 Week 4 fantasy sleeper plays​

... Looking ahead to this weekend's action, there are 10 sleepers I like to outperform what the masses expect from them in Week 4.​

Devin Smith, WR, New York Jets

The Jets' second round pick missed most of the offseason with rib injuries, and those long absences usually lead to a lost rookie season. However, in his first available action for New York, Devin Smith was named the starter in place of the injured Eric Decker. He went on to play 83 percent of the team's snaps, and saw nine targets against the Eagles. It was a pretty surprising workload for Smith, but the Jets trusted him enough to ask it. Ryan Fitzpatrick was unable to hit him though, as he only caught 33.3 percent of his targets, but Smith was getting open and running deep effortlessly.

Decker is no lock to play in Week 4, and that could mean more opportunities for Smith. If so, he has an excellent chance to make good on his targets this time around. The Dolphins give up 7.9 yards per pass play, and have been torched by wide receivers, allowing the seventh most fantasy points to wide receivers per quarterback pass attempt. It's a longshot play, but Devin Smith (28.2 yards per catch in 2014 at Ohio State) has the ability to get deep and break a week-winning play.

Fitzpat is awful on the deep ball.

Good to see this kids getting on the field though

Decker is active, Owusu is inactive
Yep. Not looking like this is a good week to do a test drive with Devin.

------------

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter 1h1 hour ago

Jets WR Eric Decker and RB Chris Ivory are active; G Willie Colon is not.

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 18m18 minutes ago

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Adam Schefter

Yuck. Thursday night Week 5 doesn't exactly bode well either. whole IND offense ceiling down. Still like Gore today

UPDATE: Jets rookie WR Devin Smith got the start against Miami in London as Decker was on the sidelines for the opening drive. Finally get a chance to see what the kid can do but so far, not much as Brandon Marshall caught the only pass on a quick TD drive.

He's been wide open a couple times but bad throws.
Yup. Fitzpatric can't hit crossers and you can't blame him for being zero'd in on Marshall to the point he is not looking at Smith unless he has completely beaten his guy and has so much separation that Devin is running wide open but then Fitz just doesn't get enough on the ball or is inaccurate.

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith nabbed two of seven targets for 14 yards in the Jets' Week 4 win over the Dolphins.

Among Jets receivers, only Brandon Marshall saw more targets. That’s encouraging. The two catches isn’t, but Smith’s chemistry with Ryan Fitzpatrick will improve over time. For his part, Fitzpatrick was extremely erratic and overthrew several passes on Sunday. Smith will draw the Redskins after New York’s bye week.

Oct 4 - 1:42 PM

Rotoworld:

Devin Smith nabbed two of seven targets for 14 yards in the Jets' Week 4 win over the Dolphins.

Among Jets receivers, only Brandon Marshall saw more targets. Thats encouraging. The two catches isnt, but Smiths chemistry with Ryan Fitzpatrick will improve over time. For his part, Fitzpatrick was extremely erratic and overthrew several passes on Sunday. Smith will draw the Redskins after New Yorks bye week.

Oct 4 - 1:42 PM
Really encouraging that he is getting targets tho, wasnt super high on him but if hes gonna get 7+ looks a game as the 3rd wr, thats way more than i was anticipating. Now lets see if more than 2-7 are catchable....

Rotoworld:

Jets OC Chan Gailey says second-round WR Devin Smith has "struggled" to pick up the offense.

"It's been a longer process than anyone thought it would be," Gailey said of his rookie wideout. "He's got a lot to learn." He won't do any learning in Week 8, as he'll sit with an ankle injury. Smith is an end-of-bench type in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Oct 29 - 4:19 PM

Crickets in this thread for good reason.

----------

http://read:http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-insider-todd-bowles-not-pleased-devin-smith-article-1.2443462?utm_content=buffer956f5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_camp

Jets’ coach Todd Bowles critical of rookie Devin Smith ​

HOUSTON — The honeymoon for Devin Smith is officially over. The rookie wide receiver, who has been a disappointment, drew the wrath of Todd Bowles in the wake of the Jets’ 24-17 loss to the Texans on Sunday.

Smith, known for his ability to track the deep ball at Ohio State, dropped what would have been a 46-yard touchdown in the third quarter.

“Our rookies have got to stop being rookies,” Bowles said when asked about Smith. “They need to grow up. They get paid like everybody else and they’ve got to start acting like they’re not in college anymore.”

Smith has been a second-round no-show through the first 10 games. He finished with no catches on four targets. Last week, the Bills returned Smith’s fumbled kickoff for a touchdown.

“It’s tough, but I know my time is coming,” said Smith, who only has seven catches for 82 yards this season. “So I’m just going to keep working hard. When that day comes, everybody will know.”

He has been a major disappointment. I am confused by the Jets overall. I don't understand the listlessness.

Yeah, total lost year for this kid. He has had a handful of chances to haul in a long one and hasn't been able to pull one in.

Chances are limited with Fitz making the throws, but this was supposed to be Smith's game changing skill

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to see stuff like this. Hopefully he can recover and have a shot

Dropped in all leagues for incoming rookies or guys not missing a second year in a row. 

RIP Devin Smith's Career.  Sad too talented kid. 

I have had him for 2 years on a dynasty team and will be making way shortly...sad thing is I had to decide last year whether or not to hold onto Taylor Gabriel or Smith and I just couldnt quit Devin...ouch

Coming off another ACL injury I do believe. I think he's back with the Jets, but probably won't make the team. A team looking for a deep threat should definitely consider him though. Maybe the Seahawks? He could fill the void left by PRich, who was filling the void left by Kearse.

Well, the thing with Devin Smith is that the talent is there. He has solid size, great speed, and exceptional tracking ability, plus he played for a top-notch collegiate program. I think he led the NCAA in yards per catch during his time at OSU, but he was a boom or bust type of player, and the Cowboys already have that with Tavon. If Devin Smith were to make the roster, he'd have to unseat either Cedrick or Hurns, but I'm not sure he can do that, as both of those guys run pretty good slot routes. Devin can play in the slot a little, but he's definitely more of a home-run hitter on the outside. People compared him to Desean Jackson, and I can see that comp, so there's value as a returner, but DJax ran solid slot routes. I'm not so cure Smith can do that. But, with that said, the Cowboys slot routes seem more linear than other teams, so maybe there's a chance he does make that team. I'd keep an eye on him because he does have agility, hops, speed, etc.. Those injuries are killer though, and he didn't have the highest usage rate in college, But he can get separation and that's the key for Dak. He LOVES throwing it to guys that get above average separation, like Amari and Cole, and then Gallup and Austin on deep routes. Heck, even Deonte Thompson could get some decent separation and Dak would throw to him. If Devin doesn't make the team, then I hope he makes the practice squad or is able to showcase his skills in the XFL. I know the 2015 WR draft class failed to meet expectations, but I'm still a believer in the kid. Let's not forget that he's a very well rounded athlete that had performed above-average in just about every combine event in 2015. https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/devin-smith/

There's also a chance that Hurns and other players start the year on the PUP or IR list, so that could help Devin. We'll have to wait and see what happens during the draft though. Personally, I hope the Cowboys draft a combination of FS, DT, TE, or RB with their first two picks. Maybe CB since Byron Jones is likely to leave the team next offseason, and then you got Chidobe and Jourdan Lewis coming off the books after that, but I think you can address that issue during the 2020 NFL draft. Get a run stuffer or true FS and the team should be able to make playoffs again this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really impressed with him yesterday tbh. Sure, it's the preseason, but the dude was jumping off the line really well, got open deep, and showed off his agility and quick feet. He's got underrated length I guess, and I love his tracking ability.

With Hurns gone, I really want him to make the team. Realistically, the Cowboys won't keep both Tavon and Devin Smith, but I kinda hope they do since Dak loves receivers with speed and quickness. The Cowboys want to use Gallup in that role, but tbh, I think Gallup is better off of screens, slants, curls, etc.. He can run the go-route, sure, but Devin and Tavon are MUCH better at it, and the rapport that Dak has with Gallup on the Go-route just isn't there.

I think it's time for them to switch the roles up a little. Gallup can play some slot, or at least he did in college I think. Maybe try him out there, and honestly, try Devin on the outside and REALLY try to give Tavon some snaps at RB like they said they would when they acquired him. If Zeke is out, then they should try everything they have at RB.

Hadn’t heard much about Smith. Jon’vea Johnson is the burner who has gotten some camp hype in Dallas. He got 8 targets the first preseason game. I’m keeping an eye on him.

Devin Smith caught all three of his targets for 74 yards and one score in the Cowboys' Week 2 win over the Redskins.

Smith was merely active because Tavon Austin (concussion) wasn't available. Even so, that resulted in the former Buckeyes burner escaping downfield for a 51-yard touchdown strike from Dak Prescott. It was Smith's first touchdown since 2015 and only the second of his career. It's doubtful he becomes a weekly presence for Dallas, but it would be fun if he did.

Sep 15, 2019, 8:24 PM ET

Coach Jason Garrett told reporters Monday that WR Devin Smith, "Obviously will play more."

Starting WR Michael Gallup (knee) is expected to miss two-to-four weeks. Smith burst onto the scene in Week 2, catching all three of his targets for 74 yards and one score in the Cowboys' win over the Redskins. The former 2015 second-round pick offers tantalizing field-stretching ability, but has struggled to stay healthy throughout his NFL career. Smith offers boom-or-bust upside in the Cowboys' suddenly-explosive offense against the Dolphins' pitiful defense in Week 3.

SOURCE: Michael Gehlken on Twitter.

Sep 16, 2019, 5:34 PM ET

If they weren’t playing Miami this week in what’s sure to be a blowout, he might be worth a start.  Next week....

Users who are viewing this thread